Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anyone play with retail?

Comments

• PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited March 2017
    I played with Retail quite a bit when GTW came out, but once I found that I couldn't move my family into a new home without losing my store's progress I quit playing that portion of the game. They really need to fix that actually now that I think about it, as with Restaurant's you can change lots with no problems.

This is not true now. (Maybe it used to be but was fixed in a patch?) You can move your family into a new home and maintain your store's progress. I've moved my sim a couple of times and the perks have gone along with them.

The store perks stay with the household however, so if you move a sim out of the house with other members remaining, even the sim that was originally running the retail, they will no longer have access to the store and have to start all over again.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member

Yes I play retail. The Pancakes own a bakery, Barbie has an art store but sells alien stuff in the basement as in black market or in her case "pink market". Storm (Ororo Munroe) sells flowers, veggies and fruit with the occasional growfruit. Nancy LAngraab has a restaurant but her club hacks servers in the the basement. All I need now is a store that sells the different herbal items you can make from Outdoor Retreat. :)
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Get to Work is the best thing about Sims 4 it was a lot of fun in Sims 2 and they brought it back. As far as I am concerned it saved Sims 4 otherwise Sims 4 is really boring.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Sometimes. Retail feels way too social oriented IMO. It's better than nothing, but it lacks some retail oriented gameplay that would make it feel like an actual store instead of a hangout spot.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited March 2017
    Yoko2112 wrote: »
    marcel21 wrote: »
    jimbbq wrote: »
    GtW gameplay is repetitive in boring, both for active career and retail. I had such high hope for retail... shame
    Out of curiousity what were you expecting to do with the retail? Though it has flaws its way better then the store version we got in TS3.

Yeah I'll give them that. I mean the store team probably tried their best with the tight budget they had but it was just not done well.
    Regardless, retail feels very much unfinished and a bit lifeless in TS4. I'm still of the opinion that trying to stuff so much ( 3 active careers, aliens and retail ) into one pack was a bad decision on their end. Giving each aspect the proper treatment would've made the whole experience a lot more enjoyable.

I kinda would've liked

1 EP with the 3 careers, but fully fleshed out ( detective street fights and more varying crime scenarios, severe sicknesses, more hospital realism, etc. )

1 GP with retail

1 GP with aliens and a fully explorable Sixam with alien architecture, home lots, alien objects, etc.

Agree with everything you said apart from retail being a game pack. It would have been worse than it is now and even smaller

A remake of OFB would have been better.

That's one question I always ask myself. Because Dine Out felt very polished to me ( aside from stuff like being your own restaurant's cook, though retail doesn't really need that ) but it was based around the retail system from GTW so they didn't have to develop a new one completely from ground up.
    I wonder how much time it saved them so they could focus on other things for the pack.

dine out just lacks control not allowing you to decide who works in. it also has odd looking foods and not much new types of foods conpaired to the amount you get in bakerys.

why bars/coffee bars and cleaners aint in the set up :/

they should of just made both retail and active careers in there own packs.
    maybe then both active careers and retail would of been better.

OFB was requested so much since the start of the sims 3.
    what 4 got is pretty bad compaired to OFB

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    1 GP with aliens and a fully explorable Sixam with alien architecture, home lots, alien objects, etc.

dont get me started with Aliens.....they are completely useless....
  • glen1974glen1974 Posts: 86 Member
    tbh not really. my sim ran a store for a little while but I soon sold up. I should give it another go, same with the restaurants also.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    OFB was really bad in Sims 3 hate to tell you this, but it was. Sims 4 isn't great GTW but it still is better Sims 2 was the best.
  • JoovanaJoovana Posts: 60 Member
    Yes, often. I love opening up a bakery and baking cookies, cakes.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Joovana wrote: »
    Yes, often. I love opening up a bakery and baking cookies, cakes.

do your customers site down to eat those cakes,cookies?

they don't in mine unless I leave a free plate for them.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I played the store ones and made my own store. My stores had nearly every content that was in the game. I had it on the roof, on level, in the basement, and real large ones might've been on the small sidewalks/lawn; can't remember. Only problem was that the people wouldn't quit coming and the help and my sims had to work overtime to try to get all the customers and then even had to turn some away. I loved it and then new content came out and I made other story lines. Actually, the one I'm playing now has a reg. job, but I was planning on having him own a store and maybe a restaurant before I have him turn to a vampire and let him have a more secluded lifestyle. Also, I plan to turn aging on, which I really never do.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It has improved since the last time I played it. Built a new store, a curious shop and the way I built it keeps Sims from piling up in a corner. Placement of things for sale is everything. Location, location of objects. And never put in tables where employees can sit down and talk to customers is the key. It's been doing very well, and since it's a cult store (sells potions, and oddities and candles) I'm sort of thinking they might have improved the system a little, as long as I stay out of the employee's routing and don't try to do stuff myself with my own Sim.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,643 Member
    I play with the retail store all the time. I have the store sell items which my Sims are trying to progress skills in, for example, video gaming, I make the store a computer shop, so they can do that while at work; Arts and craft shop, for my arty Sim, Sports store for my sporty Sims and so on. Kills two birds with one stone, so to speak.
    MLgj4Vx.png
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It has improved since the last time I played it. Built a new store, a curious shop and the way I built it keeps Sims from piling up in a corner. Placement of things for sale is everything. Location, location of objects. And never put in tables where employees can sit down and talk to customers is the key. It's been doing very well, and since it's a cult store (sells potions, and oddities and candles) I'm sort of thinking they might have improved the system a little, as long as I stay out of the employee's routing and don't try to do stuff myself with my own Sim.

Yes, I have designed my stores to stop them all crowding into one corner, that is SO annoying!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    February11 wrote: »

Yes, I have designed my stores to stop them all crowding into one corner, that is SO annoying!

I noticed they also have tweaked the programming where (if properly built) the Sim who wants to buy something walks off by himself away from others. That is one improvement I did notice.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I don't like my sims to own their own businesses because I really don't like the retail aspect of GTW but I like to let them patronize them.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I don't like my sims to own their own businesses because I really don't like the retail aspect of GTW but I like to let them patronize them.

:D I know you mean it literally, but I couldn't help but imagine the protesters from CL standing in front of one of your stores and patronizing them in the mocking kind of way. Maybe they sell fur coats or something. :p
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

:D I know you mean it literally, but I couldn't help but imagine the protesters from CL standing in front of one of your stores and patronizing them in the mocking kind of way. Maybe they sell fur coats or something. :p
    It still doesn't sound right and that would be hilarious if that happened. :joy:

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    February11 wrote: »

I noticed they also have tweaked the programming where (if properly built) the Sim who wants to buy something walks off by himself away from others. That is one improvement I did notice.

Yes, that's true, I hadn't realized that had been a tweak, I just thought it was by chance!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited March 2017
    a retail store is imo the best way to make money in the game without cheating. (that's if you use it solely for the purpose of making money and not to tell a story or have fun)
    i use it all the time when i want to buy something expensive, can make 300k-450k in a day or two once you have the right perks for maximizing profit.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    a retail store is imo the best way to make money in the game without cheating. (that's if you use it solely for the purpose of making money and not to tell a story or have fun)
    i use it all the time when i want to buy something expensive, can make 300k-450k in a day or two once you have the right perks for maximizing profit.

I've found that too. I have at least one Sim going off to work, and the other family members running the store. They certainly earn more that way.
    Oh, and no employees!
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • pixiejuicepixiejuice Posts: 711 Member
    Retail has grown on me, especially since they've fixed some of the bugs. I mostly love to set up shops for my sims to shop at, rather than playing from the owner's household. I do love that the owner gets the money, it's just not very much fun to play as the owner. You know, grinding sales socials all afternoon just to sell one $3 apple! :confounded:

My favorite shops are my bakeries and markets. It feels kind of realistic for my sims who can't cook or bake very well, or who are just too tired and busy to cook, to be able to go out and buy prepared meals and snacks. It's cheaper and faster for them than eating at a restaurant. I also enjoy playing my farmer's market, where they can buy leveled up produce and fresh fish if they're not skilled enough or don't have time to grow their own. So grocery shopping is a regular thing for my sims, and it's really fun!
  • ThePoeticPreacherThePoeticPreacher Posts: 531 Member
    imhappy wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone actually played with the retail system in Get to Work?

Ger To Work is my favorite pack for the Sims 4 is fun, i wish they would add Graphic Design skills and items you can sell, like another art skill...
    pO5uos8.jpg
  • SaviourofpotatoesSaviourofpotatoes Posts: 111 Member
    I haven't played with retail yet, I was quite bummed out to find out that you can't have a ticket machine like you could in Sims 2; I think if that was the case, I'd probably be interested in playing it. I'm sure I'll get around to do when playing my legacy but at the moment, I haven't even tried it.
  • Erica87Erica87 Posts: 743 Member
    I don't usually play with retail lots but I started a new savefile with a vampire who owns a bookstore and the retail system is kind of fun so I'm planning to use it more often in the future. Just a hint though, don't give your sim the loner trait when you want him to work in a store :lol:
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: Forum mafias & Minecraft, mainly.
    Taking a break from the sims for a while!