Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does everyone hate city living?

Comments

• Options
    Proteus42Proteus42 Posts: 891 Member
    edited March 2017
    Regarding shopping:
    If you want to have shopping, you should better play Sims 2.

It was the last Sims that had true shopping (as actually having to go to a shop in order to buy things) incorporated into its gameplay.
    Since Sims 3 all shopping has become rather meaningless props, as everything you can buy in shops in the game world is either available for free (clothes, via the magic wardrobe) or can easier be bought from home (directly via the fridge and bookshelf)
    (well, actually a little bit of shopping was reintroduced in the Sims 4 city, via te food stalls and the festival merchandise, that you cannot buy elsewhere ... but this all pales compared to the shopping in Sims 2 ;) )

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2017
    @luthienrising the logic behind they can't put stores is wrong. They can absolutely account for additional space for DLC venues. Something that so far has not been done whatsoever. Saying "here's 5 lots do whatever you want with them" is logical, but certainly comes with limits. So I want a retail store in the city? Well that means I have to bullzone a residential zone or another venue. I build my worlds entirely, no Maxis lots whatsoever, so space is a vital component to the worlds I make.

If I want a sim to live in the city, why would I want them to go to a completely separate world for something as mundane as shopping? Going to a restaurant? Gotta travel to the desert! Real estate is far from unlimited, especially when you are wanting to work with a particular area or world. Clearly it doesn't bother some players, but I see absolutely no reason why additional space cannot be allocated for additional lots so a world can be self sufficient.

There's going to be two kinds of Simmers: The ones who want a world shipped with empty lots and the ones who want a world shipped full of Maxis-designed buildings so they don't have to make their own or go Gallery-hunting. They can't satisfy both. For this world, they went with the full-of-buildings, as they seem generally to do apart from some residential-zoned lots in other worlds. It means that casual Simmers can jump right in. I suspect that the barrier for them -- learn to build, hunt through the ever-expanding Gallery for the right build -- is higher than the barrier for those of us who can hit a sledgehammer then do our thing.

And yeah. I get that lots of people would rather have larger single-themed worlds and not have the current conglomeration of worlds. But this structure isn't going to change in Sims 4. For me, ideally, I'd like to have bigger worlds and be able to pick and choose which ones are in my save. That would be an ideal combination of Sims 3 and Sims 4 style world structure. I found Sims 3 limiting because the shipped worlds were never big enough to fit everything in but when I found huge enough Simmer-made worlds my above-recommended-level specs couldn't play them. I think they've tried to hit a balance but it's not quite right. Maybe next time.

I would settle for the ability to copy existing worlds/neighborhoods in an existing save. The conglomeration of worlds isn't the root of my annoyances, I like having the ability to move between worlds, my issues moreso come from the lack of space in any given world. The city world really didn't add that many regular lots, converting what is there to commercial (that isn't already a commercial venue of some sort) lowers the number of non-aparment residental lots you can have. It's not ideal for me either, ideally a world creator/editor would solve it 100%, but even just the ability to add additional lots would be a tremendous plus.

100% with you on this. What I miss most overall is actually being able to delete a big lot - something I rarely use - and put in multiple smaller ones. I'd have done that with some of the apartment and penthouse lots in San Myshuno for sure, if it were an option.

I would get rid of the Haunt Mansion in WB and add about ten smaller lots, with more Tudor homes. I could really use that area for so much more because once visited that's enough. Or I would place roads in a way in that area that it became a business district, with many tourists shops (if we had things they could buy only when touring WB) and being able to live above some of them (but not run them) would have been better use of that one big lot.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    edited March 2017
    Deleted....so smile :)
    Post edited by DegrassiGen on
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited March 2017
    @DragonCat159 I'd rather decide who can use an object than have the game restrict my options, personally. If an object could logically used by older-than-children, it ideally should be up to me if that happens. That is fun to me. Not having the option is less fun.
    But what it isn't illogical? Would you like towny children taking traffic jams if we ever get cars, or repairing a television? If a game allows the children to-do only adult and not children alone orientated stuff, where's the fun in that? They waste their childhood on stuff that mostly don't make up for a childhood. Yeah, they got their stuffs, but is that what's only about? Why not allow adults swing them around (would be weird if adults could with adults, based If your decisions gets introduced)? Why can't they blow bubbles? Why not allow them to trick-o-treat (again, weird if adults could do that too). Where's the simulation in that?

Psst. They can blow bubbles. It's in City Living ;)

I mean do this (found a random pic from google):
    1kJdi8b.png
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    In a word, Lag.

Also I don't like the idea of living in a city - it bought it thinking we could create out own apartments in other worlds.
    I also don't like the lack of garden space that comes with apartments, how festivals spawn on top of each other and how I keep getting multiple townies created with the same names.

I do however like the build/buy stuff it added and the foods.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @DragonCat159 I'd rather decide who can use an object than have the game restrict my options, personally. If an object could logically used by older-than-children, it ideally should be up to me if that happens. That is fun to me. Not having the option is less fun.
    But what it isn't illogical? Would you like towny children taking traffic jams if we ever get cars, or repairing a television? If a game allows the children to-do only adult and not children alone orientated stuff, where's the fun in that? They waste their childhood on stuff that mostly don't make up for a childhood. Yeah, they got their stuffs, but is that what's only about? Why not allow adults swing them around (would be weird if adults could with adults, based If your decisions gets introduced)? Why can't they blow bubbles? Why not allow them to trick-o-treat (again, weird if adults could do that too). Where's the simulation in that?

1kJdi8b.png

So do I. It's a gameplay object in City Living.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

1kJdi8b.png

Simanite had a super cute picture of bubble blowing featured in one of the blog :

Simanite.jpg
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    Simanite had a super cute picture of bubble blowing featured in one of the blog :

Simanite.jpg

Aww, that's adorable!!! <3___<3
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member

1kJdi8b.png

Simanite.jpg

AWWW! That's magic that's too adorable for words!
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member

Simanite.jpg

would have loved to see the expression on the toddler's face. their expressions are often absolutely priceless. :)
  • Options
    brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member
    aob wrote: »
    I see so much negativity and hate towards cl but honestly, I love it. (If you don't like city living, I'm not bashing you or saying you are wrong, just expressing my opinion). Personally, i think it added so much excitement and fun to the game and I can't imagine my game without it. What are your thoughts?

yes and no i agree with you but i also do not. city living to me adds things i actually am starting to enjoy to a point but and there is a but at the same time i feel like it did not reach its full potinatioal and actually slight reminds me of limited the sims 4 kind of is. i feel trapped in my appartment since i see stuff going on outside my window but know that i cant interact with it. and this is a porblem with the sims 4 overall since some of the game was made with backgrounds that are window dressing but what i personally can not accept about the game itself is how you can not build or own your own appartments. living in appartments is cool though i just wish i could custumize them more rather then just being able to build rooms in them. i wish you could set up your own traits to an appartment or own them and set your own rent but oddly enough i hear those things sounds a bit unrealastic.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    aob wrote: »
    I see so much negativity and hate towards cl but honestly, I love it. (If you don't like city living, I'm not bashing you or saying you are wrong, just expressing my opinion). Personally, i think it added so much excitement and fun to the game and I can't imagine my game without it. What are your thoughts?

yes and no i agree with you but i also do not. city living to me adds things i actually am starting to enjoy to a point but and there is a but at the same time i feel like it did not reach its full potinatioal and actually slight reminds me of limited the sims 4 kind of is. i feel trapped in my appartment since i see stuff going on outside my window but know that i cant interact with it. and this is a porblem with the sims 4 overall since some of the game was made with backgrounds that are window dressing but what i personally can not accept about the game itself is how you can not build or own your own appartments. living in appartments is cool though i just wish i could custumize them more rather then just being able to build rooms in them. i wish you could set up your own traits to an appartment or own them and set your own rent but oddly enough i hear those things sounds a bit unrealastic.
    I agree with you however, I do not buy into the rumor that something sounds unrealistic especially if it has never been tried.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I only recently got it, & don't like or dislike it. I do have a couple of beefs with the apartments-I wish they had a buy option instead of having to rent most of them, and I don't like that you can't change the lot traits in them-please tell me there's a cheat for that, I'm tired of my sims chasing rats every night.

The new furniture & clothing haven't really wowed me, but I do like the festivals & new food. And I like that we can actually have real neighbors in the apartments, instead of just random NPCs vanishing into black holes like in TS3. But my San Myshuno family seems the most disconnected from the rest of my sims. I have 7 families, one based in each town, and they frequently run into each other at community lots & the open spaces, but I seldom see this family out & about and my other sims seldom visit SM while I'm playing them. (though last night their daughter finally appeared at the play area in Magnolia Promenade while my current family's kids were playing there).

So I'd say my feelings on CL are pretty neutral. But it always takes a while for me to warm up to new content, so you never know, I could come back a few months from now & proclaim this EP my favorite one ever!
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Proteus42 wrote: »
    Regarding shopping:
    If you want to have shopping, you should better play Sims 2.

It was the last Sims that had true shopping (as actually having to go to a shop in order to buy things) incorporated into its gameplay.
    Since Sims 3 all shopping has become rather meaningless props, as everything you can buy in shops in the game world is either available for free (clothes, via the magic wardrobe) or can easier be bought from home (directly via the fridge and bookshelf)
    (well, actually a little bit of shopping was reintroduced in the Sims 4 city, via te food stalls and the festival merchandise, that you cannot buy elsewhere ... but this all pales compared to the shopping in Sims 2 ;) )

Yeah, I've converted Magnolia Promenade into a residential area, keeping only the biggest store, just to have a place for teens to go mall-ratting in. Plus, hopefully, less stores means less needless NPCs spawned.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    CupcakeWitchCupcakeWitch Posts: 542 Member
    edited March 2017
    It's disappointing and it made me sad
    Besides the inability to build apartments, the pack is empty. I love the items and activities but...

-I hate the key system. Just because I give someone a key to my apaprtment doesn't mean they have to show up all the time. What's worse is that they ALL show up, drink my water, and leave a mess

-Apartments were the selling point, or at least were supposed to be.. they were kind of a let down
    -There's only one landlord for all the apartment buildings.. that makes no sense.

-I love the idea for the festivals but they could have been better...

-And I know despite being in an apartment your sim can venture outside and have fun but every now and then my camera won't go too far.. even for festivals. For example I can't follow my sim up close to the guru or while they play basketball but other times it's fine. This only occurs in San Myshuno.. I'm fine in Windenburg

There are things I love about City Living but the pack feels like it's missing something. I have it, I enjoy what I can, I don't hate the pack, I just hate that it could've been more but it isn't.

tumblr_m5yfcmiKZM1r6uev5.gif

• Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2017
    I love City Living, it's added so much spice into my game. I can wake up every morning and I can make all these new recipes, then dart outside for a jog around the hectic festivals to grab a latte, and then get ready for a flea to purchase some great deals! There's not many complaints I can think of, here's two:
    1. We can't build our own apartments, I always thought we would have the ability to do this. I found it disappointing that we couldn't.
    2. There seems to be a lack of family play, which I was expecting with a city, but it feels impossible to have one child in them apartments! They always seem to be rather small and rather loud, with neighbours constantly bashing on the doors for no reason. There is hardly any children nearby or any children aspects that I'm fond of.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    i like CL.. my biggest issue with it is that it seems like it introduced time distortion (which seems far worse in san myshuno than anywhere else)
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    rambahadoerrambahadoer Posts: 405 Member
    I wonder if they will ever give us the abillity to build our own apartments. I would happily pay for that. I get bored very quickly of the premade ones also,
    I want working elevators with animation and woohoo,apartments that are not in a shell like ts2 i mean you just get teleported to the secobd floor. Even sims 3 had shells where you still had working doors,elevators and multiple floors.
    I just find it so strange how ts2 a game thats like 15 years old or something could make amazing diverse apartments and sims 4 can’t.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    A lot of people revise their opinion after some time has passed and a lot change from haters to ok'ers and then lovers of. I never take any notice of the negative reviews that come out immediately after release. It's now part of my game and I enjoy it, especially as my nerd managed to fly a spaceship in one of the festivals. Got accused by the police of being part of a conspiracy though. :)
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I was tired of the overflooding of townies with Asian names and ridiculous outfits. Plus the world added very little to my game.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I was tired of the overflooding of townies with Asian names and ridiculous outfits. Plus the world added very little to my game.

You can use manage neighborhoods and just move the Sims you don't like out, make them homeless - and then place Sims in the apts with names you prefer.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    I don't hate it. It's just not that interesting. I do play sims there at times. The festivals are mildly interesting.

Although, I'm determined that one of my sims is eventually going to learn every dish at ALL the food stalls.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    For me personally, city living introduces lot of ugly random sims and their hideous choice of clothing, it's not diverse if everytime townie is generated is either named watanabe or srinivasan, and they all look the same to me, i never once met randomly generated townie to be either chinese descent, it's always either of those 2.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    For me personally, city living introduces lot of ugly random sims and their hideous choice of clothing, it's not diverse if everytime townie is generated is either named watanabe or srinivasan, and they all look the same to me, i never once met randomly generated townie to be either chinese descent, it's always either of those 2.

MCCC makes that easier. I usually tag those guys as no pregnancy so they don't reproduce. Add in a few asian sims or manually give Lily Feng an asian girlfriend or boyfriend and the story progression, asians usually start popping up.

Updating modded hairs for general use works good also. I used sims4studio to alter my hair mods for general use, now all new sims pop in with modded hair. Looks very good.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    gettps wrote: »
    izecson wrote: »

MCCC makes that easier. I usually tag those guys as no pregnancy so they don't reproduce. Add in a few asian sims or manually give Lily Feng an asian girlfriend or boyfriend and the story progression, asians usually start popping up.

Updating modded hairs for general use works good also. I used sims4studio to alter my hair mods for general use, now all new sims pop in with modded hair. Looks very good.

I just use gallery if i want an asian townie right now or let mccc generate townies from it, it keep bugging me out seeing watanabe guy with red hair and a crop top lol.
    ihavemultiplegamertags