Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a negative atmosphere on this forum?

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited March 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Do you feel like there is a lot of rudeness here or do you feel the experience here is good?

I think your post is off topic and has nothing to do with general discussion about 'the game' but the people here, which is probably against the rules.

I agree. OP should read the forum rules. They keep posting subjects in the wrong places and EA staff keeps moving the threads. They get mad at people who don't agree with them. One has to wonder if an account is legitimate when people are being attacked and threads are being started in places to cause controversy in the forum. This is not the first time they have posted a thread that has caused a negative reaction.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    You know what would help to significantly reduce this "negative condition", @Uzone27 ? Stop making threads like this one here, which won't do anything but heighten negativity on the forums, and in the end, always, always, always lead back to the same old ridiculous "who's worse, TS4 or TS3 players???" discussion. One way to stop negative thoughts from taking hold time and time again, might be to stop hyperfocusing on negativity altogether. I mean, seriously, what's the point of this thread? Where did the OP think it was gonna go? And whenever she doesn't like someone else's opinion, she goes back to her "the forum is full of cliques" argument, and tbh, she seems a little paranoid about this. Are there very negative people on this forum? Of course there are. They exist everywhere, they speak on any forum, in any bar, in any restaurant. Here's a flash: you can continue enjoying your drink/meal with like-minded people and not give a f* about the fact that some are negative, or you can stand up on a chair and scream around the room how 'some people are so negative and mean' and see what happens. Focus on the negative, create more negative. Let it go & enjoy your life? Better results.

You may have a point about the thread it'self...but it exists so I'm commenting on it.
    I disagree with the last part of your statement.

There seems to be a perception that when it comes to criticsizing the game that anything goes.
    That any criticism fair or unfair should be accepted without rebuttal.
    That's not what forums are about.
    If you are going to level an unfair criticism or just generally be a pain you will be called on it.

Yes, I agree with the part that criticisms should be fair and I'm not saying you can't comment on it. I do too. I also never think your comments are somehow out of line, so I really wasn't trying to single you out.

But this approach here simply won't help. And unfair criticisms against a game, although not nice, aren't the end of the world either. Still, I don't think the majority of criticisms are unfair. Do I sometimes feel a little annoyed by all the "wow TS4 is the worst ever" comments / threads? Yeah, I do. Do I think some people unnecessarily go into threads just to kinda "dump" on the game? Yeah I do. Are there threads where people have blown the OP's statements completely out of proportion and vilify them for having different opinions, stating ridiculous things like "you just don't know the games like I do" by which they want to invalidate their thoughts? Yes. Is this fair? No. Is it necessary? Absolutely not.

But, as good as I think it is that in those very instances, someone tries to point out that this simply isn't nice or useful, and that we should respect opinions that have been respectfully delivered to us, that's still very different from these types of threads. And I will continue to maintain that, sometimes, what people perceive as rude, negative and offensive, quite simply isn't. The OP felt attacked too by people trying to make sure that other simmers without any kind of tech knowledge looking to buy a new computer, wouldn't just follow their instincts instead of following sound advise. That wasn't an attack, that was a common sense response. And if there's one thing more tiring than people being rude and negative, it's people being so hypersensitive to 'rudeness' they start perceiving attacks where none have ever existed to begin with.

I agree with all of that.
    I'm not trying to change the world here. In fact my personal motive for being so outspoken about this is a I have had several run in's with people who have done exactly as you describe and nearly all of them share one thing in common. They are all TS3 fans.
    This is particulary irksome because I actually don't recall seeing any of them around when I was out here defending TS3 against the angry hordes of Ts2 fans that hated the entire concept.

At the end of the day I'm not so much concerned with the trifling back and forth remarks. That happens on all forums and I don't delude myself into thinking some random guy on an internet forum is going to magically change attitudes or make the irrational...rational.

I'm simply pointing out that I'm not buying for a nanosecond that TS3 fans are the innocent victims of TS4 fans bullying them into liking the game. Rather the reverse.

Yeah, tbh, I feel the attacks come fairly equally from both sides, but I think I've just given up making that point as neither side will ever feel that's true, so I'd rather have them deal with that on their own :D
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    You know what would help to significantly reduce this "negative condition", @Uzone27 ? Stop making threads like this one here, which won't do anything but heighten negativity on the forums, and in the end, always, always, always lead back to the same old ridiculous "who's worse, TS4 or TS3 players???" discussion. One way to stop negative thoughts from taking hold time and time again, might be to stop hyperfocusing on negativity altogether. I mean, seriously, what's the point of this thread? Where did the OP think it was gonna go? And whenever she doesn't like someone else's opinion, she goes back to her "the forum is full of cliques" argument, and tbh, she seems a little paranoid about this. Are there very negative people on this forum? Of course there are. They exist everywhere, they speak on any forum, in any bar, in any restaurant. Here's a flash: you can continue enjoying your drink/meal with like-minded people and not give a f* about the fact that some are negative, or you can stand up on a chair and scream around the room how 'some people are so negative and mean' and see what happens. Focus on the negative, create more negative. Let it go & enjoy your life? Better results.

You may have a point about the thread it'self...but it exists so I'm commenting on it.

There seems to be a perception that when it comes to criticsizing the game that anything goes.
    If you are going to level an unfair criticism or just generally be a pain you will be called on it.

Yes, I agree with the part that criticisms should be fair and I'm not saying you can't comment on it. I do too. I also never think your comments are somehow out of line, so I really wasn't trying to single you out.

But this approach here simply won't help. And unfair criticisms against a game, although not nice, aren't the end of the world either. Still, I don't think the majority of criticisms are unfair. Do I sometimes feel a little annoyed by all the "wow TS4 is the worst ever" comments / threads? Yeah, I do. Do I think some people unnecessarily go into threads just to kinda "dump" on the game? Yeah I do. Are there threads where people have blown the OP's statements completely out of proportion and vilify them for having different opinions, stating ridiculous things like "you just don't know the games like I do" by which they want to invalidate their thoughts? Yes. Is this fair? No. Is it necessary? Absolutely not.

But, as good as I think it is that in those very instances, someone tries to point out that this simply isn't nice or useful, and that we should respect opinions that have been respectfully delivered to us, that's still very different from these types of threads. And I will continue to maintain that, sometimes, what people perceive as rude, negative and offensive, quite simply isn't. The OP felt attacked too by people trying to make sure that other simmers without any kind of tech knowledge looking to buy a new computer, wouldn't just follow their instincts instead of following sound advise. That wasn't an attack, that was a common sense response. And if there's one thing more tiring than people being rude and negative, it's people being so hypersensitive to 'rudeness' they start perceiving attacks where none have ever existed to begin with.

I'm not trying to change the world here. In fact my personal motive for being so outspoken about this is a I have had several run in's with people who have done exactly as you describe and nearly all of them share one thing in common. They are all TS3 fans.
    This is particulary irksome because I actually don't recall seeing any of them around when I was out here defending TS3 against the angry hordes of Ts2 fans that hated the entire concept.

At the end of the day I'm not so much concerned with the trifling back and forth remarks. That happens on all forums and I don't delude myself into thinking some random guy on an internet forum is going to magically change attitudes or make the irrational...rational.

I'm simply pointing out that I'm not buying for a nanosecond that TS3 fans are the innocent victims of TS4 fans bullying them into liking the game. Rather the reverse.

Yeah, tbh, I feel the attacks come fairly equally from both sides, but I think I've just given up making that point as neither side will ever feel that's true, so I'd rather have them deal with that on their own :D

Ostensibly this is the day to day reality, but make no mistake..it does have a root cause
    I will hammer that point home because that's the skirt the bullies always hide behind..."they do it just as much"
    No there would be no issue if people weren't constantly being belittled for liking a game.
    That's the reality.
  • BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    edited March 2017
    Do you feel like there is a lot of rudeness here or do you feel the experience here is good?

I think your post is off topic and has nothing to do with general discussion about 'the game' but the people here, which is probably against the rules.

I agree. OP should read the forum rules. They keep posting subjects in the wrong places and EA staff keeps moving the threads. They get mad at people who don't agree with them. One has to wonder if an account is legitimate when people are being attacked and threads are being started in places to cause controversy in the forum. This is not the first time they have posted a thread that has caused a negative reaction.

Phoebe, hon.That isn't true Most of my discussions are actually very positive and also game related and other people engage with me to talk about their games and how they enjoy to play sims 4. I like hearing those stories. I have to question why it appears that you are so angry and hostile towards me in particular. It always happens right around the same that a a couple other people you are linked with show up and are rude to me to. What you are doing is bullying. I am always trying to get to know more about other players experience and its usually what i talk about on here. It's really no true at all, what you are saying. Also, I see threads moved all of the time, not just mine.Mods do that to tons of topics ALL the time. I have clicked on so many topics and then realized they arent in the same section anymore.It's NOT a big deal and it happens. That does not give you a reason to try to harass me. Its so obvious what you are doing. Do you really think this forum is only for YOUR budddies? I didn't take your computer advice and I can honestly say I DONT regret it , but that is no reason for you to start a campaign to harass me. I NEVER come at you, or anybody.

My time here is fun, MOST of the time until you and a very small amount of others try to pick arguments with me. Most of the people here are great to.

You are NOT going to run me off from discussing a game I like and you are going on ignore :)
    Post edited by BrownGamerGurl1 on
    One, I was not speaking to you, I was responding to someone else. I really have no interest in engaging any conversation with you so don't page me. No one cares what computer you bought and no one is harassing you. EA staff moved your thread out of tech because it did not belong there and you were starting trouble with the people who help in tech. Your thread was not tech help and that is what tech section is for. Why you were moved to off topic. You keep posting stuff in the wrong sections. I agree with @Cinebar this thread was set up to bait people.
  • LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member

what you dont get to do is tell me not to post on this boards. I create topics that some people do want to talk about and I have fun hearing their stories. i always get feedback about their games and I enjoy that.sometimes a LOT of feedback and i like the conversation. I can do as I please. you are free not to be a part of the discussions but i will enjoy myself here . Wow...the heck? lol

No one is telling you not to post in the forums. :|
    The problem is the Subject matter of the thread.
    This thread isn't about the game, but about other people, which is against site rules.
    This means that, you, me, and anyone else using this site, (under EA's TOU), can Not "Do as You Please", on this forum.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/801207/updated-forum-rules#latest
    - Keep your posts relevant to the section they are in. For example, posts in the Technical Help section should relate to gameplay and technical issues. Posts not relating to the section they are posted in may be deleted.
    - Do not post entire messages in ALL CAPS or post multiples of words in extra-large font. This is considered shouting. Shouting is not polite.
    - Do not post threads with misleading thread titles.
    - Keep your posts on topic with The Sims games and The Sims website.
    You’re more than welcome to use your Profile page for off topic posts.
    Behavior:
    - No Flaming. No Trolling. Flaming is intentionally posting hurtful, insulting, or harassing messages to others. Trolling is deliberately posting sarcastic, off topic, or rude remarks in order to incite a fight on the boards. Take the high road and be polite. Respect others even if their opinions differ from yours. If you disagree with someone, you are free to do so politely, but please don't make it personal.
    - No flame baiting. Unwanted discussions include, but are not limited to:
    Personal defamation
    Naming and shaming
    Gossiping about other persons

* And just to be clear, I am not name-calling, insulting anyone, telling anyone to go away, making false claims-against-others,
    or telling anyone what-to-do, etc.
    1280732xzmf3srty8.gif

what you dont get to do is tell me not to post on this boards. I create topics that some people do want to talk about and I have fun hearing their stories. i always get feedback about their games and I enjoy that.sometimes a LOT of feedback and i like the conversation. I can do as I please. you are free not to be a part of the discussions but i will enjoy myself here . Wow...the heck? lol

No one is telling you not to post in the forums. :|
    The problem is the Subject matter of the thread.
    This thread isn't about the game, but about other people, which is against site rules.
    This means that, you, me, and anyone else using this site, (under EA's TOU), can Not "Do as You Please", on this forum.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules
    - Keep your posts relevant to the section they are in. For example, posts in the Technical Help section should relate to gameplay and technical issues. Posts not relating to the section they are posted in may be deleted.
    - Do not post entire messages in ALL CAPS or post multiples of words in extra-large font. This is considered shouting. Shouting is not polite.
    - Do not post threads with misleading thread titles.
    - Keep your posts on topic with The Sims games and The Sims website.
    You’re more than welcome to use your Profile page for off topic posts.
    Behavior:
    - No Flaming. No Trolling. Flaming is intentionally posting hurtful, insulting, or harassing messages to others. Trolling is deliberately posting sarcastic, off topic, or rude remarks in order to incite a fight on the boards. Take the high road and be polite. Respect others even if their opinions differ from yours. If you disagree with someone, you are free to do so politely, but please don't make it personal.
    - No flame baiting. Unwanted discussions include, but are not limited to:
    Personal defamation
    Naming and shaming
    Gossiping about other persons

* And just to be clear, I am not name-calling, insulting anyone, telling anyone to go away, making false claims-against-others,
    or telling anyone what-to-do, etc.
    1280732xzmf3srty8.gif

Thanks for the information. But I am sure my threads of mine where I talk about Create a sim, sims playing basketball, favorite objects in the game, gameplay styles, or the numerous other game related topics are all okay to talk about in general discussion. This one discussion was moved here, where they feel like it fit in more and I am fine with that. But I will not accept being treated like I dont belong here on this forum.I have every right to discuss the sims 4 and share things related to the sims 4. I have not done anything wrong to be targeted like I am being targeted right now and Im not going to accept that.
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    Well... I was going to post that I don't think it's that bad and that healthy debate can be a good thing. Then I read through parts of it- never mind, lol.
  • Xavy_CatXavy_Cat Posts: 350 Member
    edited March 2017
    I think people confuse rudeness with differing opinions. Honestly I've only seen people on this forum be outright rude/nasty a handful of times, and they're usually silenced by the mods pretty quick. That's not to say it doesn't happen, maybe I'm missing some of it because I'm not on here super often.
    ms-gif-sims%201_zps4784kijd.gif
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

lol, well to answer the OP's question it has been a horrible experience here for many, including myself unless I am praising TS4. So, I guess that does answer his/her question. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited March 2017
    I must say, these kinds of threads do absolutely nothing to endear the community to one another. Rather than "discussing" the issue, they seem to do nothing but widen the chasm of any issues.

Perhaps instead of focusing on any negativity people think they might find, they could instead try spreading positivity to counter this negativity that they believe they're encountering, rather than just whine about it all the time. If someone says they don't like TS3, or TS4, instead of immediately labelling them a hater, instead ask them what it is they don't like about the game, or something instead to draw them out rather than simply writing them off altogether.
    I think I did that in the beginning of TS4 release, because it baffled me as to why people didn't see the problems with Sims 4 that I saw. Yet, people see issues with TS3 that I don't. I just accepted the fact that in the end, they have a different view and different tastes and not everyone is going to see things in the light that I do, regardless of how much you try to push them into it.

I also believe that many people confuse disagreeing or differing opinions with rudeness and negative chat. If someone has a different opinion than you, it doesn't mean they're inherently negative, it doesn't mean they "hate you", it doesn't mean that they're a hater, it just means they have a different thought.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member

Ostensibly this is the day to day reality, but make no mistake..it does have a root cause
    I will hammer that point home because that's the skirt the bullies always hide behind..."they do it just as much"
    No there would be no issue if people weren't constantly being belittled for liking a game.
    That's the reality.

That's far from reality. The issue comes from people like you saying there are "sides' and clearly placing the blame on one. Constantly belittled? Where? When? I very rarely see this, if at all. Because let's be honest, I'm pretty sure most people don't care what you like or not.
    edited March 2017

That's the reality.

That's far from reality. The issue comes from people like you saying there are "sides' and clearly placing the blame on one. Constantly belittled? Where? When? I very rarely see this, if at all. Because let's be honest, I'm pretty sure most people don't care what you like or not.

I just got back here in September, before that the last time I posted here I think was 2012.
    I certainly had nothing to do with creating sides, nor do I have any interest in perpetuating them.
    It's 2017 anyone who's spent the better part of two years bashing a video game?
    psstt..(I think they've chosen a side)

I don't know how much of what I've said here you actually read but I did state earlier that my only interest in this topic is that I have experienced it personally on numerous occasions from a group of people I would have least expected it from.
    They are pretty adept at forcing their opinions on you, and flipping the script the moment they get any push back.

Simply by declaring that I do like TS4 a side was chosen for me, and I think it stinks.
  • ZorvanZorvan Posts: 12 New Member

Thanks for the information. But I am sure my threads of mine where I talk about Create a sim, sims playing basketball, favorite objects in the game, gameplay styles, or the numerous other game related topics are all okay to talk about in general discussion. This one discussion was moved here, where they feel like it fit in more and I am fine with that. But I will not accept being treated like I dont belong here on this forum.I have every right to discuss the sims 4 and share things related to the sims 4. I have not done anything wrong to be targeted like I am being targeted right now and Im not going to accept that.

Just to be clear: Unless you've taken ownership of these forums from EA, you don't have the "right" to post anything here. You merely have the privilege of doing so as EA allows.

lol, well to answer the OP's question it has been a horrible experience here for many, including myself unless I am praising TS4. So, I guess that does answer his/her question. :D

LOL Exactly. Same reason I got put on the ignore list. You must agree with people on the subject they post or else. I'm so upset :'(:p:p:p . I reserve my ignore list specifically for those who purposely come in this forum to bait others into arguments ;) Unfortunately there have been several new accounts in here baiting people. We even get them in tech section.
  • SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    I'm with @Zorvan, you don't have any right to post here, but rather it's a privilege; EA could ban you for any reason and thry could unfairly ban you, but you don't have s right to speak here, rather it's a privilege. These forums are a private entity, not a First Amendment, (if your American), loophole to speak whatever you want.
    edited March 2017
    SSDSSDSSD2 wrote: »
    I'm with @Zorvan, you don't have any right to post here, but rather it's a privilege; EA could ban you for any reason and thry could unfairly ban you, but you don't have s right to speak here, rather it's a privilege. These forums are a private entity, not a First Amendment, (if your American), loophole to speak whatever you want.

Do you have any more of a right or a reason to be here than I do? I don't get it. I have done NOTHING to you, or anyone else. I don't even know who you are. None of us knows who the other is. But Im going to move on from this , happy simming, sir.
    edited March 2017
    Zorvan wrote: »

Just to be clear: Unless you've taken ownership of these forums from EA, you don't have the "right" to post anything here. You merely have the privilege of doing so as EA allows.

Look, I don't care if you don't like me (for whatever made up reason) . I literally just got here and I am not going anywhere.I was not aware that this forum was filled with so many people who feel like they have to be condescending and aggressive to perfect strangers for no good reason. But I am not going to be ran off of a sims 4 website. You are free not to engage in any of my posts. I will surely be avoiding yours.

To anyone else who wants to try to intimidate or pile on me, just know this. I am not going away . I will be here to share and discuss all things related to the sims 4 . Don't like it? Thats your problem , not mine I have not done ANYTHING to warrant being banned or harassed or intimidated <3 At least I have the ignore feature :)

• SSDSSDSSD2SSDSSDSSD2 Posts: 217 Member
    Do you have any more of a right or a reason to be here than I do? I don't get it. I have done NOTHING to you, or anyone else. I don't even know who you are. None of us knows who the other is. But Im going to move on from this , happy simming, sir.
    No, and that's the thing, EA decides the rules they want for this site, and you unintentionally broke them, (they forgave you, but they don't have to). Nobody has a right to post here, but rather a privilege, you accepted that when you checked the terms and services box to be a member, that you can be banned at any moment. You could ignore everyone, but you should ackwolegde that you were technically trolling for posting this in General Discussion, (The EA team had every right to move the topic). Also just to make one thing clear: I'm not some EA fanboy, for a very long time I haven't bought one of their products since they are using the whole system with too much on one side, and way too many missed opportunities.
  • MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 5,995 Member
    Where there's people there's joy...
    No, and that's the thing, EA decides the rules they want for this site, and you unintentionally broke them, (they forgave you, but they don't have to). Nobody has a right to post here, but rather a privilege, you accepted that when you checked the terms and services box to be a member, that you can be banned at any moment. You could ignore everyone, but you should ackwolegde that you were technically trolling for posting this in General Discussion, (The EA team had every right to move the topic). Also just to make one thing clear: I'm not some EA fanboy, for a very long time I haven't bought one of their products since they are using the whole system with too much on one side, and way too many missed opportunities.

No, Im not going to admit to something I havent done.Arguing and having internet "beefs" with people is not my thing. Im sure im not the first person who has ever been a little off topic on a sims forum before. I didn't realize the conversation could be considered off topic at the time. But now that I see clearly now, peoples behavior on the internet, I realize there is no hope for this kind of dialogue .

I have nothing else to say here.

I don't know that they unintentionally broke the rules. This isn't the first bait thread that has been started. The baiting started in tech section and that got moved to off topic. When one has a new account and habitually starts bait threads that are off topic in wrong sections of the forum one needs to question whether an account is actually a legitimate one. Especially when they blame others for attacking them when they started the attack and bait in the first place. I hope EA reads this thread and investigates the habitual baiting thread issue.
    edited March 2017
    Okay. I think it has all been said. I get it. Some people here , dont like me. I thinks its ridiculous, but fine. I don't truly dislike anyone here, but I do dislike the attitudes and the way people are singled out , piled on and targeted. It is what it is.It's the internet. But Im not going to stop sharing things i do, or discussing the game. Im a sims player.I have every reason to be here , just as much as anyone else. I don't care about being popular or having a posse behind me. I know that I have not actually done anything wrong and that I mostly share and talk about things that are appropriate and that some people do like to talk about.

Unless there is something new to be said, I think this topic just needs to be left alone. Why keep bumping up a thread that is so inappropriate or pointless?

I don't know that they unintentionally broke the rules. This isn't the first bait thread that has been started. The baiting started in tech section and that got moved to off topic. When one has a new account and habitually starts bait threads that are off topic in wrong sections of the forum one needs to question whether an account is actually a legitimate one. Especially when they blame others for attacking them when they started the attack and bait in the first place. I hope EA reads this thread and investigates the habitual baiting thread issue.

Seems to me they have already seen it and moved it.
    Also seems to me you already made your point and it was done..so your reason for piling on is?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top