Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a negative atmosphere on this forum?

Comments

• CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    @Uzone27 wrote: »
    Candyd wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »
    Seems to me the particuarly rude people are the Sims 3 fans coming into the Sims 4 area and trying to convince everybody that Sims 4 plum. I mean, not all of them. Plenty of them are perfectly reasonable and explanatory. But the people who give off the bad vibes are always the ones who spend all their time saying the game is dead or broken or only plum people like it and nothing could ever be better than Sims 3, y'know?

It's not as if it didn't come from both sides. Both groups do it. It's accusing only one side of doing it and denying that the other side does it too that isn't very nice... But I don't feel like there are many people doing that on either side. More than 90% of the time, all I'm seeing is constructive criticism (= opinions with solid arguments). That or I'm missing plenty of threads, or I need to change my glasses.

Sorry I can't allow this statement to go unchallenged.
    I won't go into a long diatribe outlining my personal experience since I've been back, but suffice to say every negative encounter I've had out here has come at the hands of the same little clique of people.
    There is most definitely an agressor in this little turf war they've created, and they seem to be under the impression that if you aren't with them then you're against them.

I agree. If you're not with them then your Against them in TS4.

I've had many encounters from these aggressors and I'm guessing it's not the same ones* you're referring to. So, it IS On All. No matter if you call it a side. If it's not agreed with then it's tried to be Stomped on from so many who feel anything not happy is "Troll." You can't say it's not that way and yet it's not only from a few.

At least the plum come in different flavors so they can all swim in their little groups. :P:

What they came to the TS3 forum on a dialy basis for two years running to tell you what a lousy game TS3 is?

They don't come on the TS3 forum but they say exactly that, on their own section, so it's like talking behind people's backs. Whether people come to the other side to attack is pretty irrelevant. As long as somebody attacks, it doesn't matter where the attack is posted. Attacks happened, period.
    There are a few attackers, yes, I maintain it. From both sides. This is what I've observed. There's no use in pretending that only one side attacks and only one side is the victim, it's definitely not what I've seen. There are attackers from both sides, they aren't numerous, but they do exist. From the moment it's admitted as fact, it's easier to focus on what really matters, sharing creativity and taking only real (justified with arguments) feedback into account.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    It has its own flavor of problems, but it has some problems, like all game communities. Well... more like, like all fan communities.

I can honestly say though, there's some really strong, underlying community ties and just people being awesome people I see on here that other communities have not had in quite the same way. It's really refreshing.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    What I'm saying is that there is a group of people out here committed to seeing to it that this iteration has enough negative buzz around It that the developers give them what they want.

Other posters and the way they feel about the game are irrelevant. (collateral damage)
    I mean I gotta luagh..they even think that if you can't afford to play the game the way they like to play it you should sit on the sidelines.
    No kidding. They think that users should know enough to be a part of the forums, know how to install a boatload of mods, and buy a top of the line gaming computer to be in thier club.

I mean come on I know there ae a lot of young users out here so I l just shake my head sometimes, but you are really naiive if you think people who really enjoy the game have any interest whatsover in making life miserable for people who don't.

The topic of this thread is appropriate.
    There is a difference between criticism and negativity.

One is natural and healthy.
    The other is toxic and unwanted.

I feel this is directed at me but you forgot to quote me, yet feel free to say it isn't. :)

1. You know this for real or only think there is a "Group?" I am not in a group. I give feedback which is important to me and if it happens to be negative, then that must be what is Important to me and how I play. I would LOVE for them to INCLUDE me. I don't want others to have to not play- and that is what I used to love about The Sims series.

I am sometimes naive but when I'm told to not buy it or leave if I don't like it, well, yes- I do feel they do have fun in making me feel miserable if I don't like it or want to express my need for something more. I've been here long enough to see how people who love it do just what you say they don't. You seem to be focused on this and are committed to sharing how everyone views it all. :lol:

Negativity is not toxic... it's the Reader who decides and it's in their own mind if it's Toxic or if it's Constructive. So... might want to rethink.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    What I'm saying is that there is a group of people out here committed to seeing to it that this iteration has enough negative buzz around It that the developers give them what they want.

Other posters and the way they feel about the game are irrelevant. (collateral damage)
    I mean I gotta luagh..they even think that if you can't afford to play the game the way they like to play it you should sit on the sidelines.
    No kidding. They think that users should know enough to be a part of the forums, know how to install a boatload of mods, and buy a top of the line gaming computer to be in thier club.

I mean come on I know there ae a lot of young users out here so I l just shake my head sometimes, but you are really naiive if you think people who really enjoy the game have any interest whatsover in making life miserable for people who don't.

I feel this is directed at me but you forgot to quote me, yet feel free to say it isn't. :)

1. You know this for real or only think there is a "Group?" I am not in a group. I give feedback which is important to me and if it happens to be negative, then that must be what is Important to me and how I play. I would LOVE for them to INCLUDE me. I don't want others to have to not play- and that is what I used to love about The Sims series.

I am sometimes naive but when I'm told to not buy it or leave if I don't like it, well, yes- I do feel they do have fun in making me feel miserable if I don't like it or want to express my need for something more. I've been here long enough to see how people who love it do just what you say they don't. You seem to be focused on this and are committed to sharing how everyone views it all. :lol:

Negativity is not toxic... it's the Reader who decides and it's in their own mind if it's Toxic or if it's Constructive. So... might want to rethink.

It wasn't neccessarily directed at you...but if it touched a nerve sorry...(collatral damage)
    Negativity isn't the words you say it's the intention you convey.

No one would ever call someone negative for wanting to have CASt or Open world back.
    That's not what I'm talking about at all and I think you're bright enough to know that.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Candyd wrote: »
    Loanet wrote: »
    Seems to me the particuarly rude people are the Sims 3 fans coming into the Sims 4 area and trying to convince everybody that Sims 4 plum. I mean, not all of them. Plenty of them are perfectly reasonable and explanatory. But the people who give off the bad vibes are always the ones who spend all their time saying the game is dead or broken or only plum people like it and nothing could ever be better than Sims 3, y'know?

It's not as if it didn't come from both sides. Both groups do it. It's accusing only one side of doing it and denying that the other side does it too that isn't very nice... But I don't feel like there are many people doing that on either side. More than 90% of the time, all I'm seeing is constructive criticism (= opinions with solid arguments). That or I'm missing plenty of threads, or I need to change my glasses.

Sorry I can't allow this statement to go unchallenged.
    I won't go into a long diatribe outlining my personal experience since I've been back, but suffice to say every negative encounter I've had out here has come at the hands of the same little clique of people.
    There is most definitely an agressor in this little turf war they've created, and they seem to be under the impression that if you aren't with them then you're against them.

I agree. If you're not with them then your Against them in TS4.

I've had many encounters from these aggressors and I'm guessing it's not the same ones* you're referring to. So, it IS On All. No matter if you call it a side. If it's not agreed with then it's tried to be Stomped on from so many who feel anything not happy is "Troll." You can't say it's not that way and yet it's not only from a few.

At least the plum come in different flavors so they can all swim in their little groups. :P:

What they came to the TS3 forum on a dialy basis for two years running to tell you what a lousy game TS3 is?

What, you think they didn't?
    I was there. I defended many people at the beginning of TS3 who had a hard time with it and wanted to share their disappointment. There were dark times there, too. :)
    I was called names and made fun of on that site, too. I love my TS, TS2, and had a hard time with TS3. I shared my dislike of restaurants, or lack of, and a lot of the game play. There were many who were able to share their problems and concerns with TS3 but- BUT- there was still TS2 BBS for years after TS3 was released. Whoever thought putting us all together was a great idea miss-thought. :)

Oh, and I still have many problems with TS3 but that ship has sailed. Nothing can be done to improve it.

*And Why should I be Quiet? I have been left out of my favorite and only PC game. Do you think they care what I think and do you think they would hear me if I only mumbled at my screen to what a lousy game I feel TS4 is? I rather shout in the Forums and say I tried to be included and share my views then to know I did nothing to try to get my game play include.

There.. .that's how I feel. Maybe I do need to be back in TS4 section... maybe they do need to know that Toddlers weren't what was missing for me. That would make you all happy. Lol@!Q

I agree. Toddlers helped for people who wanted them but for many of us toddlers wasn't the cure all.

As far as this being a rude place.....this is probably one of the nicer forums I've ever participated in. I think some of the "rudeness" is that people are so concerned with what is going on around us all over the world and it makes them cranky. Then again there are some you just can't talk to so yeah it's like the real world condensed.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited March 2017

I know I've seen those people to and they said that was what they were trying to do.
    And they said they will do so till the game dies.
    Boycott they yell do so for the good of the sims.
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member

It wasn't neccessarily directed at you...but if it touched a nerve sorry...(collatral damage)

No one would ever call someone negative for wanting to have CASt or Open world back.
    That's not what I'm talking about at all and I think you're bright enough to know that.

Yet, I've seen that happen (even though that's not what you're talking about). It's very difficult for someone to mention something/anything that TS3 has that TS4 doesn't and not be called a basher. It's like tip-toeing on eggshells, so as not to hurt people's feelings or get their back up.
  • MiataPlayMiataPlay Posts: 6,072 Member
    This place has calmed down...3 yrs ago it used to be like Gerry Springer on steroids. The activity feed was a playground for upset simmers and thirsty trolls. It was...interesting.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I don't know where it is anymore sorry.
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • taigoesrawrtaigoesrawr Posts: 812 Member
    I feel like it was a lot worse before.... but now it's kind of calmed down. I mean, sure you see the same group of people going head to head every now and then but that's pretty much it from what I've seen. Doesn't bother me. I just avoid the thread(s) and those folks. I have enough drama in real life. I don't come to these forums because I'm craving more. :D
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    To answer the OP, it depends on where you post. Some areas are quite cool, most threads are pretty nice but there is a divide and there has been a few years now.

I think the best thing to remember is that this is a forum, there will always be opposing views so the best thing to do is find a group who you get along with and hang out in them. Picture and story threads usually go without any problems and have a very different atmosphere compared to the critical or rant threads.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    aricarai wrote: »

Yet, I've seen that happen (even though that's not what you're talking about). It's very difficult for someone to mention something/anything that TS3 has that TS4 doesn't and not be called a basher. It's like tip-toeing on eggshells, so as not to hurt people's feelings or get their back up.

I know the feeling.
    It's fine...
    I think I may have gotten through to a couple of them...at least I don't get ambushed as much as I did a couple months back so it's all good.

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I haven't really been on gaming forums but I've been on a few other general social forums that were ... way ... worse than anything on here. As others have mentioned, this is all focused around a specific topic, a computer game. I haven't seen any real personal attacks, just disagreement that can sometimes be perhaps blown a little out of proportion. I'll admit that I don't read everything and I haven't been on here that long.

It's not as bad as forums that get political or where a lot of "isms" start happening. Some people are negative by nature. That's true throughout life. I have learned that it's a pointless rabbithole to try to go down to change anyone like that. Just focus on your own life, and in this case, your own game and the subjects that you enjoy. Accept that disagreeing is healthy and if someone is really expending a lot of energy to try to make you feel bad then that's a reflection on them, not on you.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • jusMehjusMeh Posts: 424 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    SSDSSDSSD2 wrote: »
    A great example of rudeness. No one is being targeted here. If you dont like the topic you dont have to be a part of it and if they moderators think this is so inappropriate, then i will wait until i hear from them. Right now, im well within my rights to talk about this topic.
    It's one thing to be nice, but another thing to be as many would call, "politically correct", really not a big deal. Don't try forcing people to be nice.
    A great example of rudeness. No one is being targeted here. If you dont like the topic you dont have to be a part of it and if they moderators think this is so inappropriate, then i will wait until i hear from them. Right now, im well within my rights to talk about this topic.
    It's one thing to be nice, but another thing to be as many would call, "politically correct", really not a big deal. Don't try forcing people to be nice.

No one is forcing you to do anything. I asked a question and if other people do not want to partake in the conversation or want to defend their behavior, that is on them.

Honestly, for someone who's so easily upset by "rudeness", your posts sound rather rude & defensive too as soon as someone disagrees with you ...

This, so much this. Honestly OP? If you think it's so horrible/negative/whatever here and there are too many bad people, rude people and trolls, then why create 3 - 4 threads in G.D.? Just wondering.
  • jusMehjusMeh Posts: 424 Member

The other is toxic and unwanted

And, of course, those who enjoy TS4 are always, always innocent of any wrongdoing. It's always the TS3 Lovers who ruin things, be it causing a "toxic environment" and/or "negativityyyy" or whatnot. Gotcha. The more things change - the more c.rap stays the same.

• BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    edited March 2017
    jusMeh wrote: »

No one is forcing you to do anything. I asked a question and if other people do not want to partake in the conversation or want to defend their behavior, that is on them.

Honestly, for someone who's so easily upset by "rudeness", your posts sound rather rude & defensive too as soon as someone disagrees with you ...

This, so much this. Honestly OP? If you think it's so horrible/negative/whatever here and there are too many bad people, rude people and trolls, then why create 3 - 4 threads in G.D.? Just wondering.

Did someone send you here to rebump this? it's pretty obvious lol.

what you dont get to do is tell me not to post on this boards. I create topics that some people do want to talk about and I have fun hearing their stories. i always get feedback about their games and I enjoy that.sometimes a LOT of feedback and i like the conversation. I can do as I please. you are free not to be a part of the discussions but i will enjoy myself here . Wow...the heck? lol
    jusMeh wrote: »

The other is toxic and unwanted

And, of course, those who enjoy TS4 are always, always innocent of any wrongdoing. It's always the TS3 Lovers who ruin things, be it causing a "toxic environment" and/or "negativityyyy" or whatnot. Gotcha. The more things change - the more plum stays the same.

What I'm saying is that this condition wasn't created by people who love the game.
    People have no natural motive to spend years of their lives trying to convince anyone that TS4 is the best game ever made.
    In fact most people who like the game agree with many of the objective criticisms leveled against it.

On the other hand there is a clear motive for those who don't like the game to convince anyone who will listen that TS4 isn't worth playing, even going so far as to say it isn't worthy of being called a proper Sims title.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited March 2017
    You know what would help to significantly reduce this "negative condition", @Uzone27 ? Stop making threads like this one here, which won't do anything but heighten negativity on the forums, and in the end, always, always, always lead back to the same old ridiculous "who's worse, TS4 or TS3 players???" discussion. One way to stop negative thoughts from taking hold time and time again, might be to stop hyperfocusing on negativity altogether. I mean, seriously, what's the point of this thread? Where did the OP think it was gonna go? And whenever she doesn't like someone else's opinion, she goes back to her "the forum is full of cliques" argument, and tbh, she seems a little paranoid about this. Are there very negative people on this forum? Of course there are. They exist everywhere, they speak on any forum, in any bar, in any restaurant. Here's a flash: you can continue enjoying your drink/meal with like-minded people and not give a f* about the fact that some are negative, or you can stand up on a chair and scream around the room how 'some people are so negative and mean' and see what happens. Focus on the negative, create more negative. Let it go & enjoy your life? Better results.
    You know what would help to significantly reduce this "negative condition", @Uzone27 ? Stop making threads like this one here, which won't do anything but heighten negativity on the forums, and in the end, always, always, always lead back to the same old ridiculous "who's worse, TS4 or TS3 players???" discussion. One way to stop negative thoughts from taking hold time and time again, might be to stop hyperfocusing on negativity altogether. I mean, seriously, what's the point of this thread? Where did the OP think it was gonna go? And whenever she doesn't like someone else's opinion, she goes back to her "the forum is full of cliques" argument, and tbh, she seems a little paranoid about this. Are there very negative people on this forum? Of course there are. They exist everywhere, they speak on any forum, in any bar, in any restaurant. Here's a flash: you can continue enjoying your drink/meal with like-minded people and not give a f* about the fact that some are negative, or you can stand up on a chair and scream around the room how 'some people are so negative and mean' and see what happens. Focus on the negative, create more negative. Let it go & enjoy your life? Better results.

You may have a point about the thread it'self...but it exists so I'm commenting on it.
    I disagree with the last part of your statement.

There seems to be a perception that when it comes to criticsizing the game that anything goes.
    That any criticism fair or unfair should be accepted without rebuttal.
    That's not what forums are about.
    If you are going to level an unfair criticism or just generally be a pain you will be called on it.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited March 2017

You may have a point about the thread it'self...but it exists so I'm commenting on it.

There seems to be a perception that when it comes to criticsizing the game that anything goes.
    If you are going to level an unfair criticism or just generally be a pain you will be called on it.

Yes, I agree with the part that criticisms should be fair and I'm not saying you can't comment on it. I do too. I also never think your comments are somehow out of line, so I really wasn't trying to single you out.

But this approach here simply won't help. And unfair criticisms against a game, although not nice, aren't the end of the world either. Still, I don't think the majority of criticisms are unfair. Do I sometimes feel a little annoyed by all the "wow TS4 is the worst ever" comments / threads? Yeah, I do. Do I think some people unnecessarily go into threads just to kinda "dump" on the game? Yeah I do. Are there threads where people have blown the OP's statements completely out of proportion and vilify them for having different opinions, stating ridiculous things like "you just don't know the games like I do" by which they want to invalidate their thoughts? Yes. Is this fair? No. Is it necessary? Absolutely not.

But, as good as I think it is that in those very instances, someone tries to point out that this simply isn't nice or useful, and that we should respect opinions that have been respectfully delivered to us, that's still very different from these types of threads. And I will continue to maintain that, sometimes, what people perceive as rude, negative and offensive, quite simply isn't. The OP felt attacked too by people trying to make sure that other simmers without any kind of tech knowledge looking to buy a new computer, wouldn't just follow their instincts instead of following sound advise. That wasn't an attack, that was a common sense response. And if there's one thing more tiring than people being rude and negative, it's people being so hypersensitive to 'rudeness' they start perceiving attacks where none have ever existed to begin with.

Yes, I agree with the part that criticisms should be fair and I'm not saying you can't comment on it. I do too. I also never think your comments are somehow out of line, so I really wasn't trying to single you out.

But this approach here simply won't help. And unfair criticisms against a game, although not nice, aren't the end of the world either. Still, I don't think the majority of criticisms are unfair. Do I sometimes feel a little annoyed by all the "wow TS4 is the worst ever" comments / threads? Yeah, I do. Do I think some people unnecessarily go into threads just to kinda "dump" on the game? Yeah I do. Are there threads where people have blown the OP's statements completely out of proportion and vilify them for having different opinions, stating ridiculous things like "you just don't know the games like I do" by which they want to invalidate their thoughts? Yes. Is this fair? No. Is it necessary? Absolutely not.

But, as good as I think it is that in those very instances, someone tries to point out that this simply isn't nice or useful, and that we should respect opinions that have been respectfully delivered to us, that's still very different from these types of threads. And I will continue to maintain that, sometimes, what people perceive as rude, negative and offensive, quite simply isn't. The OP felt attacked too by people trying to make sure that other simmers without any kind of tech knowledge looking to buy a new computer, wouldn't just follow their instincts instead of following sound advise. That wasn't an attack, that was a common sense response. And if there's one thing more tiring than people being rude and negative, it's people being so hypersensitive to 'rudeness' they start perceiving attacks where none have ever existed to begin with.

I agree with all of that.
    I'm not trying to change the world here. In fact my personal motive for being so outspoken about this is a I have had several run in's with people who have done exactly as you describe and nearly all of them share one thing in common. They are all TS3 fans.
    This is particulary irksome because I actually don't recall seeing any of them around when I was out here defending TS3 against the angry hordes of Ts2 fans that hated the entire concept.

At the end of the day I'm not so much concerned with the trifling back and forth remarks. That happens on all forums and I don't delude myself into thinking some random guy on an internet forum is going to magically change attitudes or make the irrational...rational.

I'm simply pointing out that I'm not buying for a nanosecond that TS3 fans are the innocent victims of TS4 fans bullying them into liking the game. Rather the reverse.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top