Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a negative atmosphere on this forum?

Comments

• plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    Sims being killed off is certainly a game-changer.

If ever Maxis want to put an avid Simmer of Simming then killing their Sim stone-dead is the option to take - other than cancelling their Origin account.
  • ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited August 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    Having a strong opinion isn't the problem. It's the way people express it. Part of a toxic atmosphere is a 'they do this' and 'they do that' mentality.

Do you mean the comments made in general about Sims 3 or 4 players purposely being rude/flameing or the family players vs builders vs deviant vs YA etc. or the thousands of speculation comments about ea and who plays what games? Or all of it?

I think the fact we have separated ourselves into groups (builders family player what ever) has hurt us instead of focusing on all simmers some people (me included at times) have instead gotten focused on their game play style and I have seen these mini wars almost over what shouldn't be added to the game. Lots of no that's a waste of time for my play style why add that instead of that's a cool idea let's add that and add what I want. (again I have my thing I don't want to see I'm no saint but that is where I see most things get heated)
    No, I rather meant regarding the question asked in this topic. People who are calling the forums toxic due to other people's behaviour, blind to their own contribution. The idea that it's only Sims 4 critics who are spoiling the atmosphere for example (accompanied by the completely false observation those are all Sims 3 fans, in other words: demonizing one certain section of the fanbase). Unaware apparently that jumping into a clearly critical topic like a stone in a pond just to tell everyone to get a life and play something else, is equally rude as jumping into a happy sharing topic with negativity. Tender sensibilities can be an annoying ingredient as well. People getting all hurt and worked up over absolutely nothing.

For me there is no poison in sharing opinions about the games. People have strong feelings for this franchise and that shows in both positive and negative ways. The fact people sometimes spin out of control as such doesn't make a forum toxic. I find the waving fingers brigade the most annoying myself. Discuss along or don't, but spare me the holy "I'm totally happy with the way things are and I only want to see people here who are as well." And indeed, also what you adress in your second paragraph.

OK I agree with that as well also think @agustd mentioned that as well about sometimes you see comments from people saying it's always this side doing xyz. That also isn't fun because then it feels like a general attack against any people who for example like ts3 normally don't say anything about ts4 but then see people say all ts3 lovers are doing these awful things. Same goes the other way it needlessly steps on a whole groups toes to generalize (why stereotyping be bad guys)

Anyways I don't know if I mentioned my opinion but I don't find this forum to be "toxic" (or at least no signs of poisoning yet :p ) I think it's the same as any other Internet place that has active moderation. As someone who enjoys debates though I'm maybe just less sensitive to discussions that are going back and forth. I personally haven't been personally attacked by anyone but I know it happens and that is when I consider things to have gone to far, but on this forum personal attacks aren't coming from every person at every corner. (Critiquing of games is which I understand some people really dislike)
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Having a strong opinion isn't the problem. It's the way people express it. Part of a toxic atmosphere is a 'they do this' and 'they do that' mentality.

Do you mean the comments made in general about Sims 3 or 4 players purposely being rude/flameing or the family players vs builders vs deviant vs YA etc. or the thousands of speculation comments about ea and who plays what games? Or all of it?

I think the fact we have separated ourselves into groups (builders family player what ever) has hurt us instead of focusing on all simmers some people (me included at times) have instead gotten focused on their game play style and I have seen these mini wars almost over what shouldn't be added to the game. Lots of no that's a waste of time for my play style why add that instead of that's a cool idea let's add that and add what I want. (again I have my thing I don't want to see I'm no saint but that is where I see most things get heated)
    No, I rather meant regarding the question asked in this topic. People who are calling the forums toxic due to other people's behaviour, blind to their own contribution. The idea that it's only Sims 4 critics who are spoiling the atmosphere for example (accompanied by the completely false observation those are all Sims 3 fans, in other words: demonizing one certain section of the fanbase). Unaware apparently that jumping into a clearly critical topic like a stone in a pond just to tell everyone to get a life and play something else, is equally rude as jumping into a happy sharing topic with negativity. Tender sensibilities can be an annoying ingredient as well. People getting all hurt and worked up over absolutely nothing.

For me there is no poison in sharing opinions about the games. People have strong feelings for this franchise and that shows in both positive and negative ways. The fact people sometimes spin out of control as such doesn't make a forum toxic. I find the waving fingers brigade the most annoying myself. Discuss along or don't, but spare me the holy "I'm totally happy with the way things are and I only want to see people here who are as well." And indeed, also what you adress in your second paragraph.

OK I agree with that as well also think @agustd mentioned that as well about sometimes you see comments from people saying it's always this side doing xyz. That also isn't fun because then it feels like a general attack against any people who for example like ts3 normally don't say anything about ts4 but then see people say all ts3 lovers are doing these awful things. Same goes the other way it needlessly steps on a whole groups toes to generalize (why stereotyping be bad guys)

Anyways I don't know if I mentioned my opinion but I don't find this forum to be "toxic" (or at least no signs of poisoning yet :p ) I think it's the same as any other Internet place that has active moderation. As someone who enjoys debates though I'm maybe just less sensitive to discussions that are going back and forth. I personally haven't been personally attacked by anyone but I know it happens and that is when I consider things to have gone to far, but on this forum personal attacks aren't coming from every person at every corner. (Critiquing of games is which I understand some people really dislike)

It is nice to see more moderation on here again to help Drake out. When my account got stripped and I got reverted to a 'new member' a few months ago for reasons not yet disclosed I had no where to turn and had to rely on other Simmers for help until they restored my account. Luckily it was thanks to those good Simmers that I am still able to post as a member :smile:

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2017

Yes, I actually read @agustd 's post only just now (I guess we were typing at the same time) and thought 'hey, they are basically saying the same thing there' haha B) I don't consider the forums toxic either (and when it is I don't mind, as long as it's about the game, I like debating as well, especially about this game I so much love). But this passive agressive Calimero behaviour is really starting to get on my nerves. I call it the arrogance of the happy camper.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited August 2017
    There is only negativity if you accept negativity. In the end you can allow people words to control you or You can learn to let it go. In reality your choice. Sure others will do personal attack but keep in mind half of what is said on these forums wouldn't be said in person.
  • lauravonawesomelauravonawesome Posts: 2,905 Member
    @james64468 you are absolutely right, and that's what i meant when i said that 'anonymity emboldens some' in my earlier post.

i've worked in call centres for many years, and many customers are absolutely horrid because they don't have to put a face to the name, therefore they see themselves as justified because they're attacking some faceless corporation and forget that there's a human on the other end of those barbs.

ditto the internet. but there are pockets of kindness, and i consider this forum one of them. :)

@Bear31 thank you so much for the insightful; you made a great point yourself, as did many others i haven't mentioned by name (since it'd take up a few pages of forum space if i listed all of you). awesomes all around! :heart::cookie:
    I own the store, as of 12/16/17!| Thank you | Friends?| DD Rotation & Sales Help

anigif_enhanced-19003-1450118526-12.gif
    james64468 wrote: »
    There is only negativity if you accept negativity. In the end you can allow people words to control you or You can learn to let it go. In reality your choice. Sure others will do personal attack but keep in mind half of what is said on these forums wouldn't be said in person.

I remember someone once wondered what would have happened had everyone on the forums managed to 'meet up' sonewhere and how the reaction would be. Maybe then everyone would realise that these players that we argue with are actually real people no different from ourselves?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member

I remember someone once wondered what would have happened had everyone on the forums managed to 'meet up' sonewhere and how the reaction would be. Maybe then everyone would realise that these players that we argue with are actually real people no different from ourselves?

There would probably be an argument about "where" ;)
    Mchap353 wrote: »

There would probably be an argument about "where" ;)

Oh yes, that would be an argument in itself! :smiley:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimReviewsSimReviews Posts: 211 Member
    edited September 2017
    Guys, most of us are relly nice people , but some of us are very rude.like i found this ones while browsing thru foru m...
    EA needs to be better. The company is soooo dumb and stupid. I quit forver Bye EA idiots.

RUDE ! !
    Please guy, we are very demending...

We asked for toddlers and we got them
    we aksed for vampire and we got it
    we asked for laundry, were geting it
    we asked for pets, it coming
    we asked for pools, we got them
    we asked for apartments we got them
    we asked forspecial item, we got it.

Yet were still saying:
    maxis where is the seasons the game is so dumb without seasons its not even like real life we need seasons give us seasons!!
    julyinjune wrote: »
    dumb game fix it now we need seasens!! i will quit if we dont get preteens
    Post edited by SimReviews on
    I'm an avid sims4 simmer born in France and living with a gogeous husband and 2 twin baby girls, working as a game developer & cc maker. and looking for a teaching job ;p
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    These type of people should just get off their computer or phones and just sit in a dungeon with no windows and contemplate about their actions. LOL.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    edited September 2017
    DeKay wrote: »
    These type of people should just get off their computer or phones and just sit in a dungeon with no windows and contemplate about their actions. LOL.

lol that was the freak ing fastest replie ive ever seen :D ok anyways YAH
    I'm an avid sims4 simmer born in France and living with a gogeous husband and 2 twin baby girls, working as a game developer & cc maker. and looking for a teaching job ;p
    edited September 2017
    julyinjune wrote: »
    dumb game fix it now we need seasens!! i will quit if we dont get preteens

@DeKay look what i found now after more scavenging
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited September 2017
    It's something that never will fully stop until everything that was featured in the past is reintegrated into the current gen.
    TS5 comes around & the same things will happen all over again.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
    It's something that never will fully stop until everything that was featured in the past is reintegrated into the current gen.
    TS5 comes around & the same things will happen all over again.

Yeah. I get nice people like you, politely maybe sayin, 'when will the next ep be release' but theres ppl who say 'plum dumb poohead give us *insert expansions here* NOW or i quit your plum game' and being demanding when ea works very hard.
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited September 2017
    It is disheartening when you see things like that yeah :smile:

But don't let it get to ya. You just gotta chug along & you'll forget it eventually. :relaxed:

I've just been here a bit too long I think & just became a little jaded over time.
    I'm just happy with whatever comes my way & just learned not to expect things anymore. Plus I do prefer surprises anyhow :relaxed:
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    Just let the rude whiny babies be. If they wanna be rude, just ignore them. The mods on the forum will take care of them.

I don't even know why they try. It's not like their "I'm gonna quit if you guys don't give us this and that" cries would even do anything.

It's like, oh Sweety.... the world doesn't revolve around you. The company doesn't care about your whiny threats cuz they have thousands other people buying their products.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    edited September 2017
    DeKay wrote: »

I don't even know why they try. It's not like their "I'm gonna quit if you guys don't give us this and that" cries would even do anything.

It's like, oh Sweety.... the world doesn't revolve around you. The company doesn't care about your whiny threats cuz they have thousands other people buying their products.

so relatable
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Insulting the company and being rude in general is not going to make things move faster. I agree the rudeness needs to be toned down.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

BMSO wrote: »
    Insulting the company and being rude in general is not going to make things move faster. I agree the rudeness needs to be toned down.

Quite true.
    edited September 2017
    122-61068-babycrt-1391963408.jpg

Some of us are like this... Guys, let s be nice
    Post edited by SimReviews on
  • misschristine14misschristine14 Posts: 118 Member
    Yeah people can get very aggressive and rude with the developers. They are doing a great job trying to make everyone happy with the game! It just takes time to create something amazing.
  • GegeGege Posts: 2,548 Member
    edited September 2017
    pointless...
    Post edited by Gege on
    mWC1gjz.gif
    Yeah people can get very aggressive and rude with the developers. They are doing a great job trying to make everyone happy with the game! It just takes time to create something amazing.

Yes, very true . people get verry rude.
    Gege wrote: »
    I agree with Dekay, it will never stop. You have such a varied age range from 10-year olds-maybe even younger-I wouldn't be surprised to people in their 70s. It appeals across the board for various reasons. The internet folks have increasingly gotten rude over the years, mostly because anonymity allows people to feel brave and say the stuff on the computer they would never dare say in real life. They do not have to deal with the repercussions of being rude, mean, or obnoxious because they can just get off the internet. I also play Friday the 13th and the things players say on the facebook is downright threatening and harassing to the developers and they've all been adults. I use to waste my breath trying to tell people to chill but it never works. They actually believe their ravings are getting them stuff because EA usually does something after the outcry. I just feel bad for those developers, knowing that no matter what they put out the masses will never be satisfied.

Yes that happens so much & ppl think that thay can sey thinks online and nobody will ever know was it them.

A big soapbox there *chuckles* but very ture.
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited September 2017
    Not to add to this but...I mean...isn't this no different from the people being rude but in vice-versa?

When most people get mad at EA/Maxis, it's mostly over the game and their opinion, not exactly personally at the developers themselves. But to dislike the people who dislike maxis...isn't that almost personal?

Regardless of what big franchise game it is, there will always be conflict and indifferent opinions. There will always be the "Passionate old simmer vs the passionate new simmer" or "old vs young", etc etc etc. Anyway, "why are they rude?" well because honestly (and no offense to this thread) but both sides are rude because they're passionate about the game. Usually "conflicting views + passionate fans = heated debate" which usually leads to really personal views, people take offense to it, and then they also go personal. That's just how that usually seems to go.

None of them would be here if they weren't into the game in some form of way. Period. There's something about the Sims that keeps them here.

May it be big or small, nostalgic value, family or friends, we all have reasons of why the game is so close to us. Now there are a few who could leave the game like a sack of potatoes, but obviously their not the ones who we're talking about apparently.

From what I've seen over the forums, mod the sims, and other sim sites, there's just two passionate sides of simmers who love the game and have certain love of features. I don't really see something wrong in that. Especially if they critique and consider things that aren't compelling to some simmers learn that it's a treasure feature for another half of simmers.

I'm guessing the OP missed on TS3's era. Simmers were also constantly requesting for things from TS3's era too. Seasons was highly asked as well. If it wasn't for those high requests in late TS1's era, we don't even know if we would have gotten toddler, teens, and elders as well as a staple feature as the 'genetic' system in TS2.

As my grandmother used to say "A Closed Mouth Doesn't Get Fed." but if we're talking about just the rude comments, then I'll simply analyze that. For starters as many posts said above there are youngsters here. If there's anyone on the forums, youtube, etc that's going to be passionate about the game without a second thought about what's being said, it might be them. Think about when you were young: those raging hormones, everything in your life changing, rebelling, changes like TS4's changes could be a lot for young teen who grew up on the game. Not to mention if their like my niece and played the older games, they can't understand or fathom why there would be lack of things that they greatly enjoyed. So sometimes they speak upon those things...sometimes it probably comes out in a rude way, but honestly is that any different from the other gaming forums?

Some might also be preteens, would you believe when I told my niece about the pets she asked "So we got pets before preteens?" I mean she actually did seem happy about Pets regardless, but that was her first reaction. And that was just from reading the forums about the suggestion of preteens in a old survey.

Some simmers just want to "rant" to save the game they grew up with. Some simmers just want to "defend" the game they have now. At the end of the day their all simmers. Like family, they say personal, odd things, but I doubt they mean it. It's just how they feel. Take it with a grain of salt and let them get it alll out. And I say that from both sides.

But eh that's just little Dream's view on it. <3:blush:
    Post edited by Dreamie209 on
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top