Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there a negative atmosphere on this forum?

Comments

• Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    Nomiko13 wrote: »
    @ElenaBoleyn True. It's very hard, although we tend to try, to have a constructive conversations about the developing game TS4 when snarkiness, passive aggressiveness, insults or sarcasm is involved. But, eh, we're all passionate about The Sims franchise in the end. Although there is a clear divide in this thread (and this forum in general between TS3/TS4 community), we all just happily Sim at the end of the day and we all want what's best for successors, regardless of differing opinions.

@Nomiko13 Oh tell me about it. I actually showed a friend of mine who got me into the Sims 4 screen shots of what happened. I'll just say she said I stated facts. I think it's great that people have passion about something, I really do, but there shouldn't be any insults or rudeness. That's what this thread was talking about; negativity. And that was great example of it. There is a way to state opinions and counter one's opinions without the insulting.

@ElenaBoleyn Good point. I also am not with the insults or underhanded shade being thrown at others. It's unwelcoming.

@Nomiko13 Insults don't really do anything but hurt people if they let it; especially when it's consistent. Because of those insults people have a reaction to either become defensive or offensive which is no bueno. What does under handed shade mean? I've never heard of that saying before. But, yes, it does make a community unwelcome.

Underhanded means not blatant and also sneaky. It's not upfront and honest. It tends to beat around the bush.
    ▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
    edited April 2017
    I can't keep quiet on this, so are we really comparing Sims 4 to cow manure? That's very faulty and just a silly thing to compare it to. It's a known fact that cow manure stinks and isn't an edible food item whereas, Sims 4 being a good game is subjective from person to person.

Also, I just don't follow the logic of trusting a judgment of a game one refuses to experience. With that logic, would we trust someone's word if a movie is good, despite them never watching the film? Would we trust a judgment on a restaurant the person never set foot in or tried the food from? Lastly, I agree you don't have to own the game necessarily or spend hundreds on the franchise to reaffirm your prejudgments since there are plenty of folks who own every title, attempting to try to love the game but end up resenting it even more. However, I question validity if one didn't even give the trial a try because I wouldn't trust an opinion on a product if the criticizer never even gave the product a chance. It's one thing to be like, "Sims 4 lacks ____ so therefore, it ain't my cup of tea and feel like I won't enjoy it" vs "the game is horrible, even though I never played it".

Does anyone see where I'm coming from with this faulty logic? I've seen folks who've never even touched on the trial discourage others from trying out the game because TS4's known limitations, but the way they spoke of the game made it seem like they experienced it. And to clarify, I got no issue with folks disliking the game or criticizing at all - I criticize the game all the time, it's just that once it's revealed the person never gave said product a chance, their judgment then lacks experience, which is a must for judgment to take place, because then the view is just prejudiced and unsupported.

I just don't know... isn't it a general rule of thumb to not knock it 'til you try it?
    ▼add/follow▼

mario_10.jpg
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Talk about an over-reaction. It was suggested to play the free trial, not outright purchase it and/or every other pack out there.

Even @king_of_simcity7 has at least played the trial. *eye roll*

Well, at least this thread is still clearly relevant, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
    @TheGoodOldGamer True :lol: I didn't realize how far off topic this went off. How did the subject of TS4 even start? Ah, well I guess.
    ▼add/follow▼

mario_10.jpg
  • ElenaBoleynElenaBoleyn Posts: 1,084 Member
    @TheGoodOldGamer @Nomiko13 It was why I didn't even comment after reading it. I was too tired to even argue. But I completely agree with you. You shouldn't judge it unless you try it first hand.It's like critiquing a movie you've never actually seen, but have seen previews for.
    tumblr_ngslmgsCVw1rsntc8o4_250.gif
    edited April 2017
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    @Nomiko13 wrote: »
    I can't keep quiet on this, so are we really comparing Sims 4 to cow manure? That's very faulty and just a silly thing to compare it to. It's a known fact that cow manure stinks and isn't an edible food item whereas, Sims 4 being a good game is subjective from person to person.

Also, I just don't follow the logic of trusting a judgment of a game one refuses to experience. With that logic, would we trust someone's word if a movie is good, despite them never watching the film? Would we trust a judgment on a restaurant the person never set foot in or tried the food from? Lastly, I agree you don't have to own the game necessarily or spend hundreds on the franchise to reaffirm your prejudgments since there are plenty of folks who own every title, attempting to try to love the game but end up resenting it even more. However, I question validity if one didn't even give the trial a try because I wouldn't trust an opinion on a product if the criticizer never even gave the product a chance. It's one thing to be like, "Sims 4 lacks ____ so therefore, it ain't my cup of tea and feel like I won't enjoy it" vs "the game is horrible, even though I never played it".

Does anyone see where I'm coming from with this faulty logic? I've seen folks who've never even touched on the trial discourage others from trying out the game because TS4's known limitations, but the way they spoke of the game made it seem like they experienced it. And to clarify, I got no issue with folks disliking the game or criticizing at all - I criticize the game all the time, it's just that once it's revealed the person never gave said product a chance, their judgment then lacks experience, which is a must for judgment to take place, because then the view is just prejudiced and unsupported.

I just don't know... isn't it a general rule of thumb to not knock it 'til you try it?

Yes, I see your faulty logic. You think people haven't been giving their feedback over and over and been told to be quiet. This topic is about the Forum... and The game Is Horrible. I bought it before the free trial and I did- as I know so many have told be already- I did try it with an open mind. I do not like it and I have given my reasons over the years. Over and over and over and still others think I'm just here with "hating" on for no reason.
    Watching and seeing and reading from people posting what is going on, and being informed doesn't mean I have to go do something first hand to have an opinion on it. To know I wouldn't want to nor that I should have to because I am an INFORMED person on the subject. I can critize it for what it lacks and for it doesn't lack. Without even playing it. :lol:

If you ask someone their opinion then the least you could do is read it. ''

@Rflong7 What's faulty is comparing a game to cow manure and even suggesting you don't have to play it to know of its quality. What you're not getting is, how can one fully form an opinion without experiencing it? The answer is, they can't. I'll repeat myself again: if you played and don't like it - no prob, it's whatever. So, clearly that part ain't directed at folks who gave it spin. It's directed at conjectures being spout.

Regardless, all of us from time to time get told to be quiet when voicing criticisms of anything. Though I don't know what that has to do with anything here?

My point holds up: you cannot form an entire opinion without experiencing said thing. And if you do, you're very limited in what you can say about said thing, because you can only go off with what you heard, which ain't jack. At the end of the day, the view lacks the very significant foundation: experience. Experience is a must in forming an entire perspective because it serves as backing up claims. I don't know what more I can say on this because it's so simple. :joy:
    ▼add/follow▼

mario_10.jpg
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    Excuse me for barging in here, I rarely participate in threads once they go in this direction. But to set forth that one cannot have an informed opinion about a product without actually having consumed or used it first-hand is incorrect and actually pretty insulting. At least half of the management team at NRaas have never played TS4 for ourselves. But we have informed ourselves enough about it to know that we really aren't interested. I mean, we are very interested in watching its evolution and where it goes at each stage, and certainly want to know what directions EA will be taking from here. But we just aren't interested in playing this iteration for ourselves nor in modding it and that decision has nothing to do with Twallan's retirement before the game was released as some in the past have seemed to think.

That doesn't mean we go around places where players who do like the game or are just forming their own opinions and tell them what they should think of it or anything like that. For heaven's sake, there's a big difference between being utterly disappointed in something (which we are) and our deciding that it has no merit to anyone whatsoever (that would be ridiculous given its fan base).

But to tell players or potential players that their opinions are uninformed or invalid without necessarily knowing where they are getting their information from in the first place I'm afraid is the very definition of forum toxicity that this thread was originally about.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    I have to agree to disagree on this subject because we think differently and clearly aren't going to see eye to eye on this.
    ▼add/follow▼

mario_10.jpg
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »

Yes, I see your faulty logic. You think people haven't been giving their feedback over and over and been told to be quiet. This topic is about the Forum... and The game Is Horrible. I bought it before the free trial and I did- as I know so many have told be already- I did try it with an open mind. I do not like it and I have given my reasons over the years. Over and over and over and still others think I'm just here with "hating" on for no reason.
    Watching and seeing and reading from people posting what is going on, and being informed doesn't mean I have to go do something first hand to have an opinion on it. To know I wouldn't want to nor that I should have to because I am an INFORMED person on the subject. I can critize it for what it lacks and for it doesn't lack. Without even playing it. :lol:

If you ask someone their opinion then the least you could do is read it. ''

@Rflong7 What's faulty is comparing a game to cow manure and even suggesting you don't have to play it to know of its quality. What you're not getting is, how can one fully form an opinion without experiencing it? The answer is, they can't. I'll repeat myself again: if you played and don't like it - no prob, it's whatever. So, clearly that part ain't directed at folks who gave it spin. It's directed at conjectures being spout.

Regardless, all of us from time to time get told to be quiet when voicing criticisms of anything. Though I don't know what that has to do with anything here?

My point holds up: you cannot form an entire opinion without experiencing said thing. And if you do, you're very limited in what you can say about said thing, because you can only go off with what you heard, which ain't jack. At the end of the day, the view lacks the very significant foundation: experience. Experience is a must in forming an entire perspective because it serves as backing up claims. I don't know what more I can say on this because it's so simple. :joy:

Oh, come now. Putting in Fully as if it makes a difference. If you want a Fully informed opinion wouldn't you need to have played All of the games in the Series? Wouldn't you need to know about making the games? Wouldn't you need to know what they left out and the real reasons why? Wouldn't you need to know Fully, about the history, the passion, the fun, the desire, the game play- before dismissing others reasons for not liking this game? I guess you only Fully want to know and only care to know your view.

That's fine. You're happy, I'm happy for you. I don't agree that this game is worth the effort nor money put in The Sims series.
    I also accept that it's my opinion. I accept it fully and with all knowledge that most people won't agree with me. That's the only Fully I need to know. Entirely. :lol:
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I have to agree to disagree on this subject because we think differently and clearly aren't going to see eye to eye on this.
    That's perfectly fine, and a reasonable conclusion to have drawn. But somehow when things don't stay one level removed from the games themselves, it appears that emotions can sometimes take over and discussions have more of a potential to get disrespectful as they unravel. Which again, is what I thought this thread was supposed to be about. Not any perceived relative merits of the different game iterations and how different players react to them personally.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net

Everyone does have their opinion; we might not agree with it, but eh. To put things in a brighter note; the Sims 4 is a good game, but does have potential to become a great game. The sims 3 I would have to say is a great game for it's open world concept which I wish the sims 4 would have, but it is still being developed (I think). The sims 4 is still coming out with EP's so in a way it is unfair to judge it completely just yet.
  • Misa_wants_PepsiMisa_wants_Pepsi Posts: 229 Member
    I come from 4chan. No, this place is pretty nice. A lot nice. Aside from the uber Sims3 fans vs Uber sims 4 fans, its very nice and amiable here. I really like it.
    edited April 2017

Everyone does have their opinion; we might not agree with it, but eh. To put things in a brighter note; the Sims 4 is a good game, but does have potential to become a great game. The sims 3 I would have to say is a great game for it's open world concept which I wish the sims 4 would have, but it is still being developed (I think). The sims 4 is still coming out with EP's so in a way it is unfair to judge it completely just yet.

Yes, we do. I still don't like swimming in lakes although I love to be around water. XD

But I must disagree- It's not that I am comparing the TS4 to the TS3 for what one does have and doesn't have. I am comparing it to how I like playing The Sims games. :)
    While I can judge a game for what it has now, I don't say I don't like it because it doesn't have one thing- like pets. It doesn't have a lot of the creative aspects I've enjoyed in the other games nor did the game play of The Sims themselves make me want to play them. :)

It is what it is, and I don't find enjoyment in playing it. I judged it for what it had, not what it might have- that potential is like waiting for tomorrow while missing today. Perspective. :)
    igazor wrote: »
    That's perfectly fine, and a reasonable conclusion to have drawn. But somehow when things don't stay one level removed from the games themselves, it appears that emotions can sometimes take over and discussions have more of a potential to get disrespectful as they unravel. Which again, is what I thought this thread was supposed to be about. Not any perceived relative merits of the different game iterations and how different players react to them personally.

@igazor You're right and I apologize. I think I just need to log out for a bit and chill out because for some odd reason, I'm just now realizing I'm engaging in an unproductive argument on The Sims forums...which something I always try to avoid to not elicit anxiety.

I also apologize for making folks feel invalidated with my posts. I wouldn't have ever thought I'd take part in toxicity here; it's disheartening and I'm disappointed in myself for feeding into it. I hope anyone who I upset forgive me.
    ▼add/follow▼

mario_10.jpg
    @igazor wrote: »

@igazor You're right and I apologize. I think I just need to log out for a bit and chill out because for some odd reason, I'm just now realizing I'm engaging in an unproductive argument on The Sims forums...which something I always try to avoid to not elicit anxiety.

I also apologize for making folks feel invalidated with my posts. I wouldn't have ever thought I'd take part in toxicity here; it's disheartening and I'm disappointed in myself for feeding into it. I hope anyone who I upset forgive me.

No worries. We all just want each other to see that what we like matters in a the game. I understand you enjoy it. That's Awesome! I so wanted to enjoy the game play. I'm just a little sad and sometimes touchy about my disappointment. :)

We all have views, just don't want to step on others while we try and see (I speak to myself, too. I know I like to -discuss. :mrgreen: )

I want to be a Part of New Game, too- @Maxis. Don't leave me out forever. :cookie:
    @Rflong7 yeah as I reflected, I considered that Sims has different franchises - the first, second, third, and now fourth - which was faulty on my end and ain't comparable to seeing a movie. And the limitations in Sims 4 may be a deal breaker for some, especially for builders and those who are open world or bust folks.

Off topic, but I enjoy 2, 3, & 4 for different reasons. Never got to play 1 because it won't work on my PC (I need "administrative privileges" or whatever.... Imagine the disappointment when I got a near mint condition only to not be able to play it). I heard Sims 1 is hard to play anyway! Lol.

Anyways, I'm glad we ended this on a good note because I hate when things go unresolved or users giving up and not reaching an understanding. Good thing I went against my avoidance nature :lol:

I need to self critique and sleep on it so I won't make this mistake again in the future.

But genuinely, I'm deeply sorry again.
    ▼add/follow▼

mario_10.jpg
    @Rflong7 yeah as I reflected, I considered that Sims has different franchises - the first, second, third, and now fourth - which was faulty on my end and ain't comparable to seeing a movie. And the limitations in Sims 4 may be a deal breaker for some, especially for builders and those who are open world or bust folks.

Off topic, but I enjoy 2, 3, & 4 for different reasons. Never got to play 1 because it won't work on my PC (I need "administrative privileges" or whatever.... Imagine the disappointment when I got a near mint condition only to not be able to play it). I heard Sims 1 is hard to play anyway! Lol.

Anyways, I'm glad we ended this on a good note because I hate when things go unresolved or users giving up and not reaching an understanding. Good thing I went against my avoidance nature :lol:

I need to self critique and sleep on it so I won't make this mistake again in the future.

But genuinely, I'm deeply sorry again.

You just had your opinion that some people agreed with and others did not which in turn causes the butting heads. It's nothing to really apologize for. It's about people accepting others opinions and what not and how to go about it.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member

I highly doubt that Open World will be making an appearance in Sims 4. It was one of the trade offs for the much hyped features of TS4.

You're right though, Simmers do compare the games and shouldn't pit one against another unless it's base game to base game. Although TS4 is coming out with more content; that content won't fix the core foundation, which a lot of Simmers see as broken. All the DLC does it put a band-aid on it, not fix it!
    aricarai wrote: »

I highly doubt that Open World will be making an appearance in Sims 4. It was one of the trade offs for the much hyped features of TS4.

You're right though, Simmers do compare the games and shouldn't pit one against another unless it's base game to base game. Although TS4 is coming out with more content; that content won't fix the core foundation, which a lot of Simmers see as broken. All the DLC does it put a band-aid on it, not fix it!

That is true. The sims 4 is it's own game as is the sims 3 so in a way it's better to not really compare the two even though it's super hard not to. XD
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    aricarai wrote: »

That is true. The sims 4 is it's own game as is the sims 3 so in a way it's better to not really compare the two even though it's super hard not to. XD

I agree with the last comment.
    I wish that these threads would not degenerate into a Simmer being argued into a corner by the usual people when they dare to have a legitimate opinion.
    That is my own opinion.

• DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    Anyone else loving the irony that a thread that was originally atempting to address the negativity became a negative thread itself?! :O

In all seriousness, people need to chill. As I've said before on other threads, there will inevitably be debates and arguments (especially in feedback sections that involve a large conflict of opinions) but people need to stop stooping down to the level of just insulting eachother's tastes!

As someone who loves debating (and occasionally playing the devil's advocate) I think a healthy debate is absolutely fine, as it keeps the feedback coming for EA, and it helps in the long run for TS4 (and maybe even TS5) to be better than ever! However, when a thread is simply just addressing the issue of negativity, and then it stoops to sassy comments and conflict, I think it might be going a bit far! xD

Can't we all just accept that people have different opinions, and that it's fine to have conflicting views on something, so long as it doesn't turn into an all-out brawl when you disagree with someone? :P
  • DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    edited April 2017
    I come from 4chan. No, this place is pretty nice. A lot nice. Aside from the uber Sims3 fans vs Uber sims 4 fans, its very nice and amiable here. I really like it.
    @Misa_wants_Pepsi For some reason, I feel like every forum is better than 4chan! xD
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Well this thread seems to have become rather heated :no_mouth: I saw something about TS4 being compared to 'Cow Manure' which is a new one on the forums! :#

But yeah, I have played the Free Trial as @TheGoodOldGamer mentioned but also as @igazor said you shouldn't have to be forced to play something just to have an opinion on it. Many chose not to purchase during the launch because we where not impressed what we had been shown when the game had not even been released at the time.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @Misa_wants_Pepsi For some reason, I feel like every forum is better than 4chan! xD

I actually heard a lot of bad things about 4chan and checked it out myself. I didn't find anything, but I'm actually kinda scared of that site.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top