Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has the Community Engagement Guru Changed Again?

2...Next

Comments

• Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    That thread was headed south anyway.
    If I were a Guru I wouldn't want to spend any signifcant time with this lot either.
    I mean who wants to read the same tired complaints from virtually the same group of people day in and day out?
    Silence is a lot better than some of the things I bet they wish they could say from time to time

At least silence won't get them fired...(or sued) B)

@Uzone27 - I agree probably within the last 2 weeks it was open, it was going south. Before then, it was quite peaceful. So I still don't see how it is ok that the prior 4 months and 2 weeks were ignored...just because as you say it's the same group of people day in and day out?

Ignoring people is rude. It got to the point in that thread where all people wanted was any kind of answer...even a sod off would have done. Not only was the request ignored on the thread but numerous tweets and PMs by various Simmers went unanswered. The thing that tickles me is that request was a suggestion that was on a list of things to happen by Drake herself, so I don't see why it was not engaged in...just because it's the same group of people day in and day out? That's not a very nice way to treat people.

So if someone has any other way to get answers from the Gurus or to find out who the Community Engagement Guru is meant to be or to simply get them to engage besides posting here, tweets, or PMs, please, I'm all ears.

I'm sorry what was the question?
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited March 2017
    Nevermind :)
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Yeah I agree it's odd that they're so absent from the forums unless there's a release around the corner .. no answer to questions, zero community engagement* at all on these forums - and I don't really get it, cause I feel that part of community management would be to also, next to other official channels, manage the official forums of said community? Or at least answer questions simmers post on your wall, about changing nicknames or deleting their accounts, and all the other questions that go unanswered? It's really weird.

* the only exception was the Tech Talk thread, but that's been dead silent as well ... though last time he went silent it was apparently for toddlers, so perhaps this time ... it's for another big release that's right around the quarter corner?

@SimTrippy - yes, the Tech Talk was quite active. And yes, I agree really weird.

I'm honestly not having a dig at the gurus because I get that they are busy. All I'm saying is get someone who has the time to engage with the community.

@Uzone27 - I went a bit ranty there didn't I? Apologies but being ignored is one of my pet peeves. If you can't truly see the questions in my response just ignore them.
    edited March 2017
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Yeah I agree it's odd that they're so absent from the forums unless there's a release around the corner .. no answer to questions, zero community engagement* at all on these forums - and I don't really get it, cause I feel that part of community management would be to also, next to other official channels, manage the official forums of said community? Or at least answer questions simmers post on your wall, about changing nicknames or deleting their accounts, and all the other questions that go unanswered? It's really weird.

* the only exception was the Tech Talk thread, but that's been dead silent as well ... though last time he went silent it was apparently for toddlers, so perhaps this time ... it's for another big release that's right around the quarter corner?

@SimTrippy - yes, the Tech Talk was quite active. And yes, I agree really weird.

I'm honestly not having a dig at the gurus because I get that they are busy. All I'm saying is get someone who has the time to engage with the community.

@Uzone27 - I went a bit ranty there didn't I? Apologies but being ignored is one of my pet peeves. If you can't truly see the questions in my response just ignore them.
    (I lol'd a little bit I must admit)

Seriously though I didn't see a quiestion just your displeasure at the question (whatever that might have been) being ignored.

anyhoo..

They used to hang with us all the time, not just when there were issues either...they used to post just like anyone else on general topics.
    From where I sit their decline in visibility is directly proportional to the level of ratchet and vitriol being tossed out on a nearly daily basis over the years since TS3 was first announced.

This forum comes free of charge to us the consumer, and at quite a considerbale expense to the company considering the fact that this forum doesn't contribute in a direct way to their bottom line, it's just another classic case of people expecting a mile for every inch given.

Par for the course in the age of self entitlement I guess.
    @Uzone27 - I don't think it's too much to ask for the Community Engagement Guru to actually engage with the community of the official forums.

My question was and still is: who is the Community Engagement Guru and how do you get them to engage in the community? So far twitter, PMs, and posting here hasn't worked.

But maybe you're right; maybe a 5 month long request from the same group of people annoys the Gurus so they choose to ignore it.

Just because being ignored is a pet peeve of mine, that doesn't make me self-entitled. I don't know many people who like to engage with others that actually like to be ignored.
    @Uzone27 - I don't think it's too much to ask for the Community Engagement Guru to actually engage with the community of the official forums.

My question was and still is: who is the Community Engagement Guru and how do you get them to engage in the community? So far twitter, PMs, and posting here hasn't worked.

But maybe you're right; maybe a 5 month long request from the same group of people annoys the Gurus so they choose to ignore it.

Just because being ignored is a pet peeve of mine, that doesn't make me self-entitled. I don't know many people who like to engage with others that actually like to be ignored.

lol.. Don't take it so personally. It's not a slight on you..it's just a sign of the times.
    The internet has given an easy open forum to the type of people that complain loudly in the supermarket over expired coupons...
    It's a place where all the Mrs Crumplenottoms of the world can all gather in one place and hit every passerby with their handbags.

Only so much of that people are gonna take before they start avoiding "Agnes Place" place entirely.
    Unfortunately that goes double for the people who are hard at work trying to make the best game they can only to have people plum on their work constantly.
    I know it's not a direct slight on me, but it's hard not to take offense when it happens around you.

Anyway still doesn't answer the question of who is the Community Engagement Guru and how do you get them to engage?

This is being derailed and it doesn't need to be; it's just a simple question.
    edited March 2017
    I know it's not a direct slight on me, but it's hard not to take offense when it happens around you.

Anyway still doesn't answer the question of who is the Community Engagement Guru and how do you get them to engage?

Well until a Guru comes and answers the question, this topic has no rails...so....
    What shall we argue about? :#

Well until a Guru comes and answers the question this topic has no rails...so....

You crack me up @Uzone27 :lol: Thanks for the giggle!

Well until a Guru comes and answers the question this topic has no rails...so....

You crack me up @Uzone27 :lol: Thanks for the giggle!

I <3 you too @aricarai ...(as long as you laugh at my jokes) B)
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @aricarai
    Based on what SimGuruDrake told us about her job, I'd say interacting with us on the forum seems like a small part of it. If I remember right, when she was posting a lot more, she was actually doing it on her free time. With several ways of communicating, I'm not that surprised that each media has a bit less presence.

SimGurus are probably free to choose their preferred media, some post on twitter, some on the forum, some on reddit, but for most of them, it's not their primary job, so they are most likely not prioritizing communicating with us above the rest. Some do on their free time too, and that's awesome, but that's not something I'm expecting.

I've seen an increased presence from the QA SimGurus and it's something I appreciate extremely. But it may also be why we see SimGuruDrake a bit less, because she was commenting on these bug threads/gathering data/transmitting info, something the QA Gurus are doing directly now. The modding Gurus are as active and helpul as always.

I don't think communication is that bad compared to other video games forum honestly. We have regular blogs, we have quarterly teasers, we have trailer teasers, they are delivering what they have promised. We have Gurus dedicated to bug fixing and modding interacting with us. I think they have been rather quick at commenting when rumors happen or things start to heat up a bit. And we can all post in the same forum if we so choose, regardless of our country, and that's something I like a lot (I'm looking at you Wow forum :/). Perhaps I have low expectation from an official forum, I don't know :D
    @Neia - you miss the complete point of this thread and the main question in it. I've reiterated it loads of times. C'mon, I know you're not thick!
    Neia wrote: »
    @aricarai
    Based on what SimGuruDrake told us about her job, I'd say interacting with us on the forum seems like a small part of it. If I remember right, when she was posting a lot more, she was actually doing it on her free time. With several ways of communicating, I'm not that surprised that each media has a bit less presence.

SimGurus are probably free to choose their preferred media, some post on twitter, some on the forum, some on reddit, but for most of them, it's not their primary job, so they are most likely not prioritizing communicating with us above the rest. Some do on their free time too, and that's awesome, but that's not something I'm expecting.

I've seen an increased presence from the QA SimGurus and it's something I appreciate extremely. But it may also be why we see SimGuruDrake a bit less, because she was commenting on these bug threads/gathering data/transmitting info, something the QA Gurus are doing directly now. The modding Gurus are as active and helpul as always.

I don't think communication is that bad compared to other video games forum honestly. We have regular blogs, we have quarterly teasers, we have trailer teasers, they are delivering what they have promised. We have Gurus dedicated to bug fixing and modding interacting with us. I think they have been rather quick at commenting when rumors happen or things start to heat up a bit. And we can all post in the same forum if we so choose, regardless of our country, and that's something I like a lot (I'm looking at you Wow forum :/). Perhaps I have low expectation from an official forum, I don't know :D

Actually it's pretty rare for a publisher to run a sperate foum for just one of it's titles.
    Most video gaming forums are fan based.
    @aricarai
    Huh ? I wasn't trying to argue or anything, I was commenting about the more general topic of communication because you asked me "Do you think it's right that the gurus only seemingly appear ahead of a release or when there's a major problem?".
    @aricarai
    Huh ? I wasn't trying to argue or anything, I was commenting about the more general topic of communication because you asked me "Do you think it's right that the gurus only seemingly appear ahead of a release or when there's a major problem?".

@Neia - and I don't see an answer there at all. I was talking about the forums, which is what I've been talking about all along...the forums...engaging on the forums!
    @aricarai
    Well sorry for answering your question then. I'm talking about the forums in all but one sentence, but you seem angry for some reason, so there's not much else I can do.
    @aricarai
    Well sorry for answering your question then. I'm talking about the forums in all but one sentence, but you seem angry for some reason, so there's not much else I can do.

@Neia - I'm not angry at all but it's tiresome to repeat the same thing over and over. I've said the same things throughout this thread several times.

I'm confused now; I don't see where you answered a question at all. You talk about how the gurus engage in their free time, comment on bug threads, choose their platform to engage in, regular blogs, quarterly teasers, etc...what does that have to do with the forums and who is meant to be the Community Engagement Guru for the forums.

If it's Drake and she's too busy which I can appreciate, pass the title to someone that can engage with the community.

I still see no reason why a request, which came off the back of a Guru stating that it's something that would be implemented, should be ignored for 5 months. If there was no engagement anywhere, I'd be more sympathetic; however when you see gurus including the one that is meant to be the Community Engagement Guru of the forums on twitter and other social platforms, it's bound to raise eyebrows.

And I will reiteration yet again, this is not a dig. I appreciate they're busy, so delegate the tasks that aren't high on their radar...engaging in the forums. Again, no one should be ignored, especially a simple request that could be answered with a Yes it's being worked on or no its never gonna happen! Ooh look, those answers are less than 140 characters!
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member

I honestly don't remember forum members being ignored in the past or this code of silence that seems to have come with TS4.

It used to be like this in the beginning times of the TS3 forums. There was no community engagement at all unless there was the need for an announcement or something. Otherwise, it was as @Tripilis described in another thread - Just the odd occasion of "phantom moderating" and nothing else.
    There was a lot of calling for the Guru's to participate more, and on the odd occasion they did, but the majority of engagement was in the Sims Store Forum.

I agree with @egwarhammer , the forums should really be their first port of call. They set this place up for people and call it a community, but then they just disappear, ignore any requests, ignore the users unless someone needs telling off, or someone posts a thread in the wrong place, and they spend most of their time on annoying social media sites instead, leaving the folks here just milling about on their own.

It's sad that it's slipped back into this state.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    edited March 2017
    Pary wrote: »

I honestly don't remember forum members being ignored in the past or this code of silence that seems to have come with TS4.

It used to be like this in the beginning times of the TS3 forums. There was no community engagement at all unless there was the need for an announcement or something. Otherwise, it was as @Tripilis described in another thread - Just the odd occasion of "phantom moderating" and nothing else.
    There was a lot of calling for the Guru's to participate more, and on the odd occasion they did, but the majority of engagement was in the Sims Store Forum.

I agree with @egwarhammer , the forums should really be their first port of call. They set this place up for people and call it a community, but then they just disappear, ignore any requests, ignore the users unless someone needs telling off, or someone posts a thread in the wrong place, and they spend most of their time on annoying social media sites instead, leaving the folks here just milling about on their own.

It's sad that it's slipped back into this state.

But we as Simmers have to acknowlege our part as well.
    It's just a game to us, but to them it's their entire life and livlihood.
    If the Sims fails people could be out of a job.

Yet too many of us approach this forum as a place to put their feet to the fire and expect them to be warm and hospitable in return.
    That's not how it works. Not in the real world.
    This place was special becuase it was G rated, self moderated and a lot more mature than it is these days. Fact.

When you're truly passionate about something it's the worst feeling in the world to feel like you are inadequate.
    That's why almost all celebrities have shrinks on the payroll, It's a tough job dealing with the public and most companies of this size quite frankly don't. (not to this degree) It's becuase the Sims is a special game that requires a more social approach to make it the best that it can be that they do it.They have demonstrated time and again that they understand it's the community which drives much of the success of the Sims. That's only one among many reasons this forum is pretty unique in all the gaming world.

Over the years I've seen every request under the sun, and spread out over all the iterations I can honestly look back and say that they delivered on nearly all of them at time or another. They even hit us with things we weren't expecting from time to time.

Community is about communication and compromise. That simply can't be done effectively if the community isn't on the same page
    This forum actually had that kind of enviorment at one time and I for one am not convinced that this communication break is soley the result of Maxis going all cold and corporate for no reason.

I'm not saying I'm expecting that it could ever be like it was back in the days of TS2...obviously that ship has sailed.
    What I am saying is that we as a community need to at least accept our role in the communication breakdown.
    "Catch more bees with honey" and all that granny wisdom.
    They are human, and they have more skin in the game than we do.
    Post edited by Uzone27 on
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    In half an hour this morning, Graham had over 30 questions about the pack to answer on Twitter. Those were just the ones he could answer, anyway. I'm sure there were more.

Like it or not, this forum is not the 'first port of call'. And most forums haven't been for awhile now. The gurus that are more active here are the ones dealing with tech support, which is what most forums for games are primarily used for in terms of company interaction.

It's fine if you don't want to adapt. But you will get left behind. Not only is there Twitter, but the community management also handles YouTube, Twitch, various fan sites, etc.

Drake has said numerous times that she's more than our babysitter. And let's not forget that every single time she's attempted to open up communication around here (just look at the ask a guru attempts), it comes crashing down hard all around her.

And like others have said, March is the end of the fiscal year. So I'm sure it's pretty crazy all over the company recently anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if the silence lessons in the coming weeks.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
    @TheGoodOldGamer and @Uzone27 - I know we've gotten into the silence as a whole but that was not the original reason why I made this thread. I have no problem with other forms of social media - I am on most of them.

I originally made this thread because of the silence in a thread for a request for a TS3 Creative Corner that was started 5 months ago. Drake, as to the best of my knowledge and others was the CEG last year, was tagged repeatedly in that thread, tweeted at and PM'd. Then because the thread went south in the last couple or weeks, it was closed without so much as an acknowledgement of the original request and purpose.

So it's not a case of being left behind because the forums should be the first port of call. It's a case of finding out who to contact with queries regarding the forums and how to contact them.

That's it.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I do think there are small things that would make a big difference. Like, whoever is having time to move a thread, don't do that without leaving a reason and a linkback. If a thread is closed, say why always, not just sometimes. Now and then, do a run of unpinning out-of-date pinned topics and posting links to blog posts and the like. Auto-close more of those older, inactive topics - I've seen Sims 4 topics that haven't been active since 2014 bumped up lately with comments that show that the person hasn't noticed the date; it doesn't end up looking good on anybody - not the bumper who might not have noticed the dates, not the people who tell them off, not the people who jump in after also not having noticed the dates. I think a few things like that would help a lot. Obviously, superactive forum participation is better, but hey.

Oh. Also, maybe an official topic here where people can post their name-change requests?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Those are great ideas @luthienrising. Definitely agree with what you've said.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    @luthienrising,
    I do think there are small things that would make a big difference. Like, whoever is having time to move a thread, don't do that without leaving a reason and a linkback. If a thread is closed, say why always, not just sometimes. Now and then, do a run of unpinning out-of-date pinned topics and posting links to blog posts and the like. Auto-close more of those older, inactive topics - I've seen Sims 4 topics that haven't been active since 2014 bumped up lately with comments that show that the person hasn't noticed the date; it doesn't end up looking good on anybody - not the bumper who might not have noticed the dates, not the people who tell them off, not the people who jump in after also not having noticed the dates. I think a few things like that would help a lot. Obviously, superactive forum participation is better, but hey.

Oh. Also, maybe an official topic here where people can post their name-change requests?

I so agree with everything that you just said... :) Especially the older threads being locked. They did do that for a short time last year because we did have a New Member going around bumping up older threads over in the TS3 sections. So someone had tagged the Gurus/SimStaff to alert them of the bumper because they had gone around bumping the older threads. The one thread that the member had tagged the Gurus/Simstaff in wasn't even an old thread as it was just a couple of months old and the person ended up chewing out the person who bumped it back up. But I think that the reason why the older threads didn't stay lock was that someone had made a request to have one of their old threads opened up so that they could keep posting in it instead of making another thread.