Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Additional rental properties and roommates.

I have all EP's except Supernatural and Pets.
My question is, can you purchase an additional home and use it as a rental property without using any 3rd party mods?
I tried to figure it out, but was unsuccessful. The roommates kept coming to my Sims home uninvited!

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2017
    Not without mods, no. That's why mods that allow these kinds of things exist.

When you purchase an additional residential property, it becomes an extension of your active household's living space. If you then add "roommates," they live over both spaces the same as your sims do. You could try to keep them in their own designated areas with door locking, but they will still share everything that the lot(s) contain collectively.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    Animal70Animal70 Posts: 45 Member
    Too bad you can't lock off fridges...too. I built a duplex in my JAG Insanity Sims game, which eventually got turned into a quad-plex...bought a pizza...and found out the rest of the roomies ATE IT ALL before Tosh (the Sim) was able to even get a piece... :(
  • Options
    AngryPanCakeAngryPanCake Posts: 77 Member
    I see...I had tried roommates early on, when I had University life only. The roommates would never leave the house autonomously even if they previously had a job. Kids/Teens wouldn't go to school either. I wonder if this was all fixed after the patches and subsequent EP's?

As far as roommates mods, I have one installed (LeapsForCauchy_RoommateFix), but it's mainly to disable the roommate function in the Sims3 that kept generating random roommates walking into my Sims house!

I also tried to use that mod to make roommates stay at a different property, but could not figure it out.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    I see...I had tried roommates early on, when I had University life only. The roommates would never leave the house autonomously even if they previously had a job. Kids/Teens wouldn't go to school either. I wonder if this was all fixed after the patches and subsequent EP's?

As far as roommates mods, I have one installed (LeapsForCauchy_RoommateFix), but it's mainly to disable the roommate function in the Sims3 that kept generating random roommates walking into my Sims house!

I also tried to use that mod to make roommates stay at a different property, but could not figure it out.
    They don't.. :(? That's too bad. I'm going to play an apartment with roommates, I really hoped they would go to their jobs and the one kid to school, but I guess not then? Really strange, because roommates in the campus do go everywhere.

(I did have the random roommate thing once by the way, but I could easily solve that by making a phonecall)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    They don't.. :(? That's too bad. I'm going to play an apartment with roommates, I really hoped they would go to their jobs and the one kid to school, but I guess not then? Really strange, because roommates in the campus do go everywhere.

(I did have the random roommate thing once by the way, but I could easily solve that by making a phonecall)

That was before I added the other EP's and then getting the latest Origin Patch. This time I did not give the roommate a full trial, especially since they started showing up randomly!
  • Options
    The random roommate thing happened to my sim in 2013 (University just had been released). I do hope roommates going out was fixed though...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    Can I drop in with a related question? I've never used roommates outside of the University world. If my sim asks just one specific sim to be her roommate, will other roommates also start showing up?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    If the lot type as viewed in Edit Town is Residential-Regular, then asking one sim to be a roommate should activate the town's Roommate Service (for 1 roommate). Should the roommate leave/move out, a new roommate will be provided by the next sim day unless you call up and cancel the service.

If the lot type is Residential-Apartment, then there is no way to cancel the Roommate Service by phone. That's what the lot type is, essentially a dormitory. The only way to change that is to evict everyone/move them out and change the lot type.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Thanks for the answer, @igazor ! The lot type is regular (it is an apartment, but a Late Night one and not a UL one).

Another question: do I have to give the roommate an extra bedroom, or is an extra bed in the existing bedroom enough?
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    Thanks for the answer, @igazor ! The lot type is regular (it is an apartment, but a Late Night one and not a UL one).

Another question: do I have to give the roommate an extra bedroom, or is an extra bed in the existing bedroom enough?
    Technically you don't have to give them a bed at all, but be prepared to have a tired, grumpy roommate on your hands (or one who keeps passing out or trying to sleep in your sim's bed if you don't lock the door).

I don't see why two beds in the same room wouldn't work. But if the two sims don't know or like each other very much, depending on traits and privacy preferences adjustable by various mods, you may find that they don't want to sleep in the same room as each other. Have you thought of adding a Murphy Bed to what might be a living room?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    I see, thanks! The two are just acquaintances for now, but also romantic interests. I wanted to see if it's possible for a sim to live with a romantic interest who isn't controlled by me - if it works out okay I think that will be more interesting than playing both of them!

(And by the way, I installed NRAAS Relativity today and wasn't sure which speed to choose, and I found an old post in which you said you preferred 23 so I tried it out, and I thought it was just right. So thanks for that piece of advice too!)
  • Options
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    I see, thanks! The two are just acquaintances for now, but also romantic interests. I wanted to see if it's possible for a sim to live with a romantic interest who isn't controlled by me - if it works out okay I think that will be more interesting than playing both of them!

(And by the way, I installed NRAAS Relativity today and wasn't sure which speed to choose, and I found an old post in which you said you preferred 23 so I tried it out, and I thought it was just right. So thanks for that piece of advice too!)
    Glad you found that helpful. I still play on that speed. I know others prefer 19, but things just happen too quickly relative to the game clock for me there.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @PalmArrow @igazor I handle adding roommates via Mastercontroller now, isn't that more acutely than the ingame method..? Or are you both talking about MC?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 , I know that adding a sim as a roommate can be done both as a social interaction and via MC, but my question was about what will happen after a single specific sim becomes a roommate, not about the method of adding them.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I had a UL apartment lot in use once and it only got roommates added when I had my sim enable the service on the phone and I use that Mod from MTS.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    Lol I had the random roommates glitch once. It happened just as I was throwing a party. I was like "Did I invite these people? Why aren't they leaving? Why are they using my showers???" I haven't played with roommates before so I was pretty dumbfounded when these sims started using stuff like they owned it.
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • Options
    Mrknowitall526Mrknowitall526 Posts: 386 Member

That's my mod from MTS! They do go to their jobs and go out, so not sure why people are saying they don't.

I tried to get them to stay at a different property but it was annoying and didn't work.

In my most updated version of the mod, if you have NRass Story Progression-Money, you can buy additional properties and then "rent" them out as a Landlord: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=554197 . I tried to make it realistic - the tenants on the owned property will send you money directly, and they'll also complain about broken objects. If you don't fix them, they don't send the rent payment!

It also disables the random roommates that EA generated with an Apartment lot type.

My main purpose of the mod was to disable those random roommates, so you could have houses that you "rent" instead of purchasing (by setting the lot type to Apartment). I was tired of my new sims living in horrible houses because they only had $20,000 to start with. This way, you can rent a nicer house while saving up to buy or build their own!
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    In my most updated version of the mod, if you have NRass Story Progression-Money, you can buy additional properties and then "rent" them out as a Landlord: http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=554197 . I tried to make it realistic - the tenants on the owned property will send you money directly, and they'll also complain about broken objects. If you don't fix them, they don't send the rent payment!

It also disables the random roommates that EA generated with an Apartment lot type.

My main purpose of the mod was to disable those random roommates, so you could have houses that you "rent" instead of purchasing (by setting the lot type to Apartment). I was tired of my new sims living in horrible houses because they only had $20,000 to start with. This way, you can rent a nicer house while saving up to buy or build their own!
    Yes, but you see those starting out sims have equity in that awful §20k starter house and can use it together with their cash saved when ready to move up to a new and hopefully better one on the day of the real estate closing. By encouraging them to be long-term renters, during which they may be happier short-term but will spend their hard earned money on rent and probably other disposable things instead of saving it or preserving and enhancing that equity, they will tend to stay in the lower economic class and never be able to move up in life. This is what helps keep the divide between the Haves and the Have Nots so well defined and will ultimately lead to a revolution and total political instability.

Of course, I have no idea what I am talking about here especially since I've been a long-term renter my entire real life. ;)

What I really wanted to say is that the OP wanted the answer in the context of not using mods, hence many of the replies describing how this works in a modless game. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options

That's my mod from MTS! They do go to their jobs and go out, so not sure why people are saying they don't.

I tried to get them to stay at a different property but it was annoying and didn't work.

I don't have SP, but if you have a basic mod that makes roommates go to their jobs and school I'd be really interested in that! Can you give me the link please?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

I don't have SP, but if you have a basic mod that makes roommates go to their jobs and school I'd be really interested in that! Can you give me the link please?

It's there in that post you quoted!

I don't think it matters about school because I think EA restricts roommates to YA and above.
  • Options
    edited March 2017

I don't think it matters about school because I think EA restricts roommates to YA and above.

Hi MrKnowitall,

I just downloaded your latest updated version and was reading the description/instructions, but could not figure out how to move roommates ito a rental property. My Sims live in a house and don't want to have roommates there, so I'm planing on buying a second home and turn it into a rental property.

How do I make renters/roommates stay at the second home/rental property?
    By the way are renters and roommates the same?

• Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    One thing I don't find is my sims blowing their cash on everything since I disabled allowing the Mod to push them to spend it on junk which I always had to force them to sell it and get cheaper versions of the things and to cheat their funds back up.I also manage inventories and money while they're active.I would also do that for families renting a house instead of buying which would be more common for those arriving with children who would need more things right away.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options

I suddenly realize we've been having a discussion about the same mod in two different topics and I also realize now that your mod does assure roommates to go to their jobs :o I thought the focus was on being the landlord (and my sim isn't). Hope it will work!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Hi MrKnowitall,

I just downloaded your latest updated version and was reading the description/instructions, but could not figure out how to move roommates ito a rental property. My Sims live in a house and don't want to have roommates there, so I'm planing on buying a second home and turn it into a rental property.

How do I make renters/roommates stay at the second home/rental property?
    By the way are renters and roommates the same?

Unfortunately you can't make roommates stay at another owned property. You can send other people in your family to sleep at another owned property, but you can't make that their "home" unless you move them out and onto the property yourself.

To have inactives become renters of your owned property, just move them onto the lot that your sim owns, like you normally would. In my opinion this works best if the lot is an Apartment lot type, because then they will pay rent and not have to purchase it, but it would work either way.
  • Options
    thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try.