Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

....playing sims 4 on high on affordable laptop.

Comments

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited February 2017
    You have to keep in mind that the system requirements are for base game only not including packs or even patches. Also aimed at desktop, not laptop. Laptop's are weaker than desktop. They can defiantly still run the game but the lack of power should always be factored in. Adding packs increases requirements, this also includes patches.

That's fine you're happy with your purchase but the requirements do not count for the whole collection which btw is not complete.

I have the whole collection. Still running very fast with no lag,on ultra. There is no negative downside , other than the negative comments on this thread. It's like trying to prove me wrong about what I see with my own eyes.
    That's fine and I'm not attacking you. The info about game requirements still stands as fact if others reading this thread want advice.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited February 2017
    First I'd like to say, Congrats!

Buying a new pc or laptop can be stressful at times, let alone a gaming rig. So I'm happy to hear that from your long researching and asking around the forum, you found the one right for you <3.

Though I can also understand what everyone else are saying. I think to word it better is...hmm I think it's better to tell you my experiance than anything.

Many moons ago (During early TS3). I had a laptop, a HP Pavilion, my dad bought it for me back then. It was a total beast to me at the time. And it actually took TS3 + Expansions (AMB+LN+GN, I actually got WA very very late) and the stuff packs out at the time, on high settings and everything looked so clear. The laptop worked great, untill almost a year or so the internal fan began to fail, the video card started to heat up. Then Pets came out...the graphics were still pretty good, but my laptop's internal fan was taking a serious blow x_x.

My husband (he was my boyfriend around that time lol) checked it out and was like "Abs, I can't believe I'm saying this, but you can't run a game like this on your HP." my heart almost hit the floor lol.

And similar to what you have said to others "It's working right now? Why wouldn't it work tomorrow?" He told me, "This video card isn't meant to be constantly stressed out. And to play the way you have constantly, it's a miracle it's still going." So needless to say, I had the HP lasted for half of TS3's lifespan. But all of these factors (long game-play, lots of expansions/stuffpacks, any custom content) could almost destroy a low card "overtime"

Soon after, he got a Alienware for my birthday, and I haven't had any problems since. TS2 UC, TS3 (complete) and TS4 (almost compelete missing 2 stuffpacks xD) constantly played in rotation.

Now i'm defiantly not trying to negate the fact that you have a laptop that works for you. But I only hope that my old situation doesn't happens to you. I'd recommend a cooling fan down the road, for caution as well as a "Laptop Vacuum" (honestly I think most gaming laptops should have this included lol).

All in all, Happy Simming <3
    Post edited by Dreamie209 on
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    You just got lucky. It's good that you're trying to encourage people and I know you posted this with good intention. However, your PC doesn't meet the reccomended requirements (minimum are a lot less and less reliable as such) and therefore you shouldn't even be on medium, nevermind ultra. It's a nice thing that it's working for now, but it's irresponsible to tell someone to get an Intel HD card or Iris as their sole GPU. Yes, Intel is a great brand! I am not denying that- they made my processor in my gaming rig. My CPU by Intel is absolutely awesome. I have 8GB of DDR3 RAM as well, which I am certain has less impact on how my game runs than the CPU. It isn't about 'boo Intel bad' or any snobbism, but instead that their GPUs are all integrated. You want a dedicated, not integrated, GPU for gaming, including TS4.

Sure, those who play other games too are going to have a (both by NVidia now) 980ti GPU 4GB, but you can run the game fine on a GTX 950. You don't need anything super amazing to run TS4, but equally you can't just run it on your Surface Pro 3.

It is unfortunate that people who spend less or get laptops end up spending more in the long run than those who save up and buy a gaming desktop in the first place. You can get a decent one for a minimum of $800 and you just upgrade parts as and when you need to. Many fall into the trap of thinking that's expensive, but it's actually cheaper because it won't break down and you can upgrade it.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • BrownGamerGurl1BrownGamerGurl1 Posts: 1,136 Member
    edited February 2017
    So if I had one with AMD and the same 8gb, what would have been the problem then? Because I'm sure you negative people would have still found something negative about that too. All because "you need to spend $800-1000 and get NVidia or a gaming pc to play sims 4. "
  • WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    They arent negative @BrownGamerGurl1 , they are just trying to let you know that just because the intel card works for you, it might not do the same for others. Generally Sims 4 is a heavy game that will require a dedicated graphics card later on .

Its great that its working for you now, it really is but you should be aware that the game might crush your laptop cuz of the heavy load, the more you add stuff. They just dont want you to come here in a couple of months or a year and saying your game keeps crashing or your laptop died. And they dont wont others to spend money on a laptop with no dedicated graphics card to then appear here with a new laptop that just crashed cuz of Sims so they would have to spend more then 600dollars to get one that can handle the game better.

Some laptops are just miracle one and the same laptop(same model, brand, specs etc) might not perform the game as good as yours does.

Im not trying to be negative or anything so i hope you dont take this the wrong way, its really great that it works but it might be good to know what could happen if it doesnt work in the long run.

Have a good Simmers day and have fun with your new laptop!(:
    edited February 2017
    They arent negative @BrownGamerGurl1 , they are just trying to let you know that just because the intel card works for you, it might not do the same for others. Generally Sims 4 is a heavy game that will require a dedicated graphics card later on .

Its great that its working for you now, it really is but you should be aware that the game might crush your laptop cuz of the heavy load, the more you add stuff. They just dont want you to come here in a couple of months or a year and saying your game keeps crashing or your laptop died. And they dont wont others to spend money on a laptop with no dedicated graphics card to then appear here with a new laptop that just crashed cuz of Sims so they would have to spend more then 600dollars to get one that can handle the game better.

Some laptops are just miracle one and the same laptop(same model, brand, specs etc) might not perform the game as good as yours does.

Im not trying to be negative or anything so i hope you dont take this the wrong way, its really great that it works but it might be good to know what could happen if it doesnt work in the long run.

I kind of get it. But if I were really trying to help people, I wouldn't use a positive thread about how things are going well, for someone else as a means to make my arguments. There is definitely a negative weird vibe on these forums. That is really questionable behavior.

Having said that, many of them think that only Nvidia is "good enough" for sims 4. Because I asked a couple of weeks ago and was told not to buy a computer with AMD either, even though it IS a dedicated graphics card. What is wrong with AMD?
  • WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member

I kind of get it. But if I were really trying to help people, I wouldn't use a positive thread about how things are going well, for someone else as a means to make my arguments. There is definitely a negative weird vibe on these forums. That is really questionable behavior.

Having said that, many of them think that only Nvidia is "good enough" for sims 4. Because I asked a couple of weeks ago and was told not to buy a computer with AMD either, even though it IS a dedicated graphics card. What is wrong with AMD?

I believe AMD have alot of heating issues, it easily overheat while Nvidia is more balanced. BTW if you want a good game, besides sims 4, i recommend RimWorld on steam. It works well with intel graphics card. If sims 4 would start to act weird=P
    Okay guys. I'm just going to leave this topic alone, it hasn't served any purpose , but bashing me for my choice of a computer :p

So I'm out , peace :*
  • rjhenn14rjhenn14 Posts: 601 Member
    It's the fact that your confusing an integrated intel graphics cards (or amd) for a dedicated graphics card and that's where the problem lies.

My friends computer had done the same thing as @Dreamie209 said, she ran her games on an integrated card high setting and for awhile it worked, but eventually the fan was shot because the computer didn't really have the specs to be run like that.

Sorry that your thread did not turn out as you intended, but people are just concerned about the hardware failing at some point. I really hope yours is a "lucky" one though.
    rjhenn14 wrote: »
    It's the fact that your confusing an integrated intel graphics cards (or amd) for a dedicated graphics card and that's where the problem lies.

My friends computer had done the same thing as @Dreamie209 said, she ran her games on an integrated card high setting and for awhile it worked, but eventually the fan was shot because the computer didn't really have the specs to be run like that.

Sorry that your thread did not turn out as you intended, but people are just concerned about the hardware failing at some point. I really hope yours is a "lucky" one though.

Is AMD a dedicated graphics card or not? I had amd before on a computer i had a few years ago and I did not have heating isssues. Listen, I already know that intel is integrated. I know that it sometimes causes issues. I knew that before I bought my laptop and I bought it because I knew that it would be okay with more memory and it was.I also do not mind if I eventually replace it. So I really didn't need a lecture on that anyway. With that being said, I am going to continue to make choices that are the best for me and not try to IMPRESS other people :*

• rjhenn14rjhenn14 Posts: 601 Member
    edited February 2017

Is AMD a dedicated graphics card or not? I had amd before on a computer i had a few years ago and I did not have heating isssues. Listen, I already know that intel is integrated. I know that it sometimes causes issues. I knew that before I bought my laptop and I bought it because I knew that it would be okay with more memory and it was.I also do not mind if I eventually replace it. So I really didn't need a lecture on that anyway. With that being said, I am going to continue to make choices that are the best for me and not try to IMPRESS other people :*

Some AMD are integrated, you can tell if a laptop has an integrated or dedicated graphics card by its specs, either from the store you buy it from or after you purchased it can be found on the computer under drivers.

And again, like others have said, just because you have a lot of RAM is not going to counter not having dedicated graphics memory CPU does not equal GPU.

Often times you CAN'T replace laptop graphics cards because they are built into the motherboard. No one is trying to lecture you or ask you to impress them. They are trying to explain/warn to you as to why your computer may have issues in the future and why not to suggest it to other people without first understanding the logistics of it yourself.

*Edited because of autocorrect

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    You're really lucky then. My game runs like poop using the Intel card (I have a gaming laptop so I can switch between the Intel card and Nvidia cards). It's good that it runs well for you but I think that it will be good to not tell people to trust their instincts cuz not everyone is lucky. :D That's why a lot of the tech helpers here advise people to buy decent computers as it is useful for the long run and it's just more reasonable to get specs that are suitable for the game.

Oh I don't think it's luck. I'm sure intel is improving their processors and technology all the time. Each newer computer has been improved and changed. And as long as your computer meets the specifications, the brand name of the graphics card/processor is irrelevant. How much memory does your laptop have? That probably has a lot more to do with how the game runs than intel does. Because both my pc's used intel. The old one didn't run on ultra . This one does and looks amazing, still intel :)

No, it's not the brand. It's just that Intel is an integrated card which means it's in the processor and that's why it's not recommended for gaming as this is going to over heat the processor even more than if you were to have a graphics card in another component. And it's not my RAM/memory. I have 8GB too. By the way, the Intel card was never a recommended system requirement for The Sims 4, so technically your computer doesn't meet the specs.

You're saying one thing, but the actual EA specs list says something different. Intel is definitely on the supported list. Again, not really going to argue over this. Not sure why it is upsetting anyone that I am running on ultra, with no lag, using Integrated graphics.People on the internet are funny :D All I know is, I am enjoying these lovely graphics and game time. You have a good night <3

We're not upset that you're having a good time running the game on your PC. We are just trying to warn any other players who are thinking of buying a new computer and that your experience is not guaranteed to be their experience if they do buy a low end computer. It will be bad if they read your posts here and get 'persuaded' to buy a PC that is not suitable to run the game in the long run.

And like I've mentioned, I myself have tried running the game on my Intel card and it didn't work too well for me, so there's that.

There is no reason to warn someone about my experience, lol. I bought a laptop that meets the requirements to run this game.Which for some reason you are not willing to accept. You have claimed that intel is not supported and that isn't factual information. Theres really nothing I have said that needs to be warned against.

Seems like you're disputing just to dispute. Intel is on the supported list, right along with AMD and NVIDIA. Your point? I was also told that AMD is not right for this game, so there seems to be no real consensus on the "right" card for this game. But besides your comments , the EA says otherwise :)

My game would not be running as well as it is, on these settings, unless it was capable, so I am going to agree to disagree and keep it moving ;)

Just a heads up. The games requirements are for desktop not laptop. Laptop hardware is different than desktop hardware and much weaker. You can not compare laptop hardware to desktop hardware unless you have a higher end gaming laptop.

Also the minim requirements are for base game only, no packs eps or eps added . You need to look at recommended requirements to survive the game as the game adds more and more. It's not a complete game. Your laptop is actually way under requirements. I doubt it will survive the game. You can't upgrade a laptop . You are stuck with the video card and processor. We here in tech would not recommend anyone buy the kind of laptop you have bought to try and run this game. It is not designed to run this game. Forcing your computer to run this game could damage the laptop . See link http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Your_Computer_is_Like_a_Car
    You're really lucky then. My game runs like poop using the Intel card (I have a gaming laptop so I can switch between the Intel card and Nvidia cards). It's good that it runs well for you but I think that it will be good to not tell people to trust their instincts cuz not everyone is lucky. :D That's why a lot of the tech helpers here advise people to buy decent computers as it is useful for the long run and it's just more reasonable to get specs that are suitable for the game.

Oh I don't think it's luck. I'm sure intel is improving their processors and technology all the time. Each newer computer has been improved and changed. And as long as your computer meets the specifications, the brand name of the graphics card/processor is irrelevant. How much memory does your laptop have? That probably has a lot more to do with how the game runs than intel does. Because both my pc's used intel. The old one didn't run on ultra . This one does and looks amazing, still intel :)

No, it's not the brand. It's just that Intel is an integrated card which means it's in the processor and that's why it's not recommended for gaming as this is going to over heat the processor even more than if you were to have a graphics card in another component. And it's not my RAM/memory. I have 8GB too. By the way, the Intel card was never a recommended system requirement for The Sims 4, so technically your computer doesn't meet the specs.

You're saying one thing, but the actual EA specs list says something different. Intel is definitely on the supported list. Again, not really going to argue over this. Not sure why it is upsetting anyone that I am running on ultra, with no lag, using Integrated graphics.People on the internet are funny :D All I know is, I am enjoying these lovely graphics and game time. You have a good night <3

We're not upset that you're having a good time running the game on your PC. We are just trying to warn any other players who are thinking of buying a new computer and that your experience is not guaranteed to be their experience if they do buy a low end computer. It will be bad if they read your posts here and get 'persuaded' to buy a PC that is not suitable to run the game in the long run.

And like I've mentioned, I myself have tried running the game on my Intel card and it didn't work too well for me, so there's that.

There is no reason to warn someone about my experience, lol. I bought a laptop that meets the requirements to run this game.Which for some reason you are not willing to accept. You have claimed that intel is not supported and that isn't factual information. Theres really nothing I have said that needs to be warned against.

Seems like you're disputing just to dispute. Intel is on the supported list, right along with AMD and NVIDIA. Your point? I was also told that AMD is not right for this game, so there seems to be no real consensus on the "right" card for this game. But besides your comments , the EA says otherwise :)

My game would not be running as well as it is, on these settings, unless it was capable, so I am going to agree to disagree and keep it moving ;)

Just a heads up. The games requirements are for desktop not laptop. Laptop hardware is different than desktop hardware and much weaker. You can not compare laptop hardware to desktop hardware unless you have a higher end gaming laptop.

Also the minim requirements are for base game only, no packs eps or eps added . You need to look at recommended requirements to survive the game as the game adds more and more. It's not a complete game. Your laptop is actually way under requirements. I doubt it will survive the game. You can't upgrade a laptop . You are stuck with the video card and processor. We here in tech would not recommend anyone buy the kind of laptop you have bought to try and run this game. It is not designed to run this game. Forcing your computer to run this game could damage the laptop . See link http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Your_Computer_is_Like_a_Car

Im not sorry, I love how sims 4 runs on my laptop, I will not be going out to buy another one anytime soon. Your advice turned out to be wrong in my case.Maybe for someone else it will be helpful. I'm happy with what I got . Hope that is okay with you :)

You all can recommend what you want to. I am happy with my product and how the game is running for me. If that bothers you, then that's a personal problem. Im not buying a different computer, so your advice cant really help me now. If you do want to help others , there are others out there who need you to rec for them.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited March 2017
    You all can recommend what you want to. I am happy with my product and how the game is running for me. If that bothers you, then that's a personal problem. Im not buying a different computer, so your advice cant really help me now. If you do want to help others , there are others out there who need you to rec for them.

Nobody's suggesting you buy a different computer. Just making sure other people know that what's working for you might not work for them, so that if they happen upon this thread while searching for info, they'll understand that they take somewhat of a risk buying around the same specs.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited March 2017

This tech section is for helping others who need help. Not to come in here and boast about their new computer. That is for the off topic section.http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/off-topic-chat. More than likely EA will move your thread there. I am glad your enjoying your computer but again here in tech we would never advise to buy a computer like you have

Nobody's suggesting you buy a different computer. Just making sure other people know that what's working for you might not work for them, so that if they happen upon this thread while searching for info, they'll understand that they take somewhat of a risk buying around the same specs.

agree

This tech section is for helping others who need help. Not to come in here and boast about their new computer. That is for the off topic section.http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/off-topic-chat. More than likely EA will move your thread there. I am glad your enjoying your computer but again here in tech we would never advise to buy a computer like you have

agree

Bye :)<3
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    This tech section is for helping others who need help. Not to come in here and boast about their new computer. That is for the off topic section.http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/off-topic-chat.
    My thoughts exactly!
    I'm not going to say anything else, everyone knows what my thoughts on this thread would be LOL
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

This tech section is for helping others who need help. Not to come in here and boast about their new computer. That is for the off topic section.http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/off-topic-chat.
    My thoughts exactly!
    I'm not going to say anything else, everyone knows what my thoughts on this thread would be LOL

I guess some people really just have to have the last word. I dont careeeee :D Stop bumping this up.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited March 2017
    My thoughts exactly!

I guess some people really just have to have the last word. I dont careeeee :D Stop bumping this up.

Nobody is bumping anything, i replied 5 minutes after you did last, that's hardly bumping the thread :D
    And we are not arguing anyhow, We just do not want people getting the wrong idea about hardware requirements.
    So this thread really should be moved or removed.
    Now everyone reading this thread.. Just do not reply unless your reply is something that has not already been said.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

AMD uses APUs which the card is still integrated but it has it own memory. However in it's state it is good for the moment but after the moment you can't upgrade it.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    My thoughts exactly!

EA needs to put "Throwing Temper Tantrums" on the forum rules or make a separate section just for temper tantrums. Where we have the option to ignore that section and leave tech for people who actually need help.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I'm not trying to belittle the advice that folks have been giving you on this thread because most of it is sound advice.
    A quick comment about the "elite gamer" mentality in general however

I'm a bit older so a lot of people may not be able to relate to this...but I liken them to "audiophiles" of the record player era...
    There were folks that would spend hundreds of dollars on phono cartridges, and then upwards of $100 dollars on needles for that cartridge swearing that it made all the difference in the world for their fidelity? lol

Most of that entire industry was centered around one thing...bragging rights.

The truth of the matter is 95% of what people were hearing was the responsibility of their speakers alone
    A lot of those folks were extremely 🐸🐸🐸🐸 when digital killed the component era I can tell you that :D
    There's a lot of that going on in the gaming community...lot's of posturing.

They will tell you otherwise but a considerable amount of the stuff they go on about for games is complete overkill in most scenarios.
    If your computer meets the reccomended specs and the reccomeended component manufacturers that's pretty much all you need..everything else is gravy. Overkill.

If you want to look at an area where going above and beyond reccomended specifications is actually relavant...then look no further than DAWs (digital audio workstations) where fan noise, bus speeds, port types etc. have a huge impact on performance above and beyond reccomended specifications to simply run the software.

But I digress, I'm not trying to lump everyone in the same category or even suggest that some of the advice given to you here isn't sound.
    Just here to give the OP a wink and a nod...(the laptop I'm using to play TS4 is from 2009)

• ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    I'm a bit older so a lot of people may not be able to relate to this...but I liken them to "audiophiles" of the record player era...

@Uzone27 This type of thing also happens in the cycling community, too. It's hilarious. You'll have some college kid or someone on a budget asking for advice on a forum about which Target/Walmart/Kmart bike to buy to ride around campus or run some errands, and all the elites will rant, "NO!! ANY BIKE FROM THOSE STORES IS COMPLETE JUNK!!! You need to go down to the nearest cycling shop or Craig's List and buy a bike with the state of the art gears, tires, frame for at least $400! Anything less than $400 that is pure garbage and chances are, will start breaking down within six weeks after you buy it!"

That's the funniest thing about elites. Elites are sort of like the people who've owned Porsches and Maseratis their entire lives, have no real experience with non-luxury brands and just assume that any brand that has less features than a luxury sportscar is barely functional.
    EiFlric.png
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    edited March 2017
    In a few weeks time, after the 'first impressions' stage, issues may appear for you. But it's your personal choice to force it to run TS4 and you can do it if you want to. You got warned though, so it's not like anyone else will be to blame.

I hope you get lucky but realistically, the chances are slim.
    My thoughts exactly!

EA needs to put "Throwing Temper Tantrums" on the forum rules or make a separate section just for temper tantrums. Where we have the option to ignore that section and leave tech for people who actually need help.

And then any comments that belonged there could just be removed from the thread and into their own little threads. And threads that belonged there could be moved as well.

To make people post there, they'd probably have to call it 'Unusual Experiences' section to show that it's for people with abnormal experiences running the game.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!