Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 3 stops installing half way on Windows 10?

I have to load TS3 on my old PC while my new PC has been sent away. I haven't had TS3 installed on it in a year since a Blue Screen and when I sent that PC off to repairs it had Windows 10 put on it.

So I tried to install TS3 on it yesterday and I went through the usual process where you type the code thing and then when it was installing after about two thirds of the way there it would just stop installing and exit itself with no warning or reason given. No error sign or anything came up. I tried this three times.

It cannot be my video card as that had not been changed. The only change to happen to that PC is that it has Windows 10 on it.

Any help?
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    I can't give you a link but if you Google Crinrict Windows 10 Sims 3 you will get a link to her help blog. She's got a lot of info on Sims 3 and Windows 10. If you can't find your answer there try Answers HQ. You may need to use Windows 7 compatibility mode but there are other things you may need to do. She's got a lot of info on Securom and playing with disk versions of the games.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    If the computer was upgraded to Win 10 with the OS in-place instead of the HD wiped and reformatted (or instead of being provided with a new HD), there could be remnants of your original install and/or now the failed ones left behind in places that are not easy to see. I would recommend a registry cleanup before attempting again.
    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Karritz Thanks I will have a look at that :smile:

@igazor Thanks I will try that link :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    If the cccleaner does not work send user chesterbigbird a PM she can help you with windows 10
    Ccleaner did not work and I sent Chesterbigbird a PM.

Any other suggestions?

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    Dang, @igazor Suggestion was what I was thinking,thought maybe you had pieces of the original still there and the computer shut down failing trying to overwrite existing stuff.I am on Win 10 on my new laptop and everything is good even though I dislike Win10.Still seems like an issue to me of registry.Feel really bad cause you are a sim addict and know this is frustrating. :'(

My advice @king_of_simcity7 make sure your drivers are updated to Win 10.

This may sound silly but do you have at least Base game installed if so should be a easy fix.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
    @CravenLestat I cannot even get the base game to install and how do I upgrade my drivers on Windows 10?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited February 2017
    Select the Start  button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.

Expand one of the categories to find the name of your device, then right-click (or tap and hold) it, and select Update Driver Software. For graphics cards, expand the Display adapters category, right click your graphics card and select Update Driver Software.

Select Search automatically for updated driver software.

Also are you doing typical install when installing Sims 3 there are 2 options typical and advanced advanced gives you more options.Cant remember if advanced looks into compatibility typical works for me so do not worry but in your case check advanced

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
    @CravenLestat Been trying some of your suggestions but my computer cannot find a new driver for my video card and it says that the graphics card one is up to date.

I will have to try and advanced install...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    chester has windows 10 and she is a computer expert. She is on a different time zone so it may take her a few to answer you. She should be on the forum soon
    @phoebebebe13 Thanks I have heard from her but I have finally managed to get it to install :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Awesome. Glad you got it working :)
    Thanks for everyone who helped :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Sunflower_seedSunflower_seed Posts: 1 New Member
    @king_of_simcity7 I’ve got the same problem, could you maybe tell me what you did to make it work again?

I’ve used my laptop for four years now, and the sims 3 worked fine on it with Windows 8. But not that long ago I updated to Windows 10 and that’s when some problems started (music/sounds stopped working and the game crashed after +/- 30 minutes). So I thought well I’m just gonna uninstall and reinstall the game (base game+expansion packs).
    So when I try to install the base game, I fill in the code etcetera, but when I get to the installation bar, it exits itself hallway through, no error or warning. I tried it a few times but with no luck :(
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2017
    @king_of_simcity7 I’ve got the same problem, could you maybe tell me what you did to make it work again?

I’ve used my laptop for four years now, and the sims 3 worked fine on it with Windows 8. But not that long ago I updated to Windows 10 and that’s when some problems started (music/sounds stopped working and the game crashed after +/- 30 minutes). So I thought well I’m just gonna uninstall and reinstall the game (base game+expansion packs).
    So when I try to install the base game, I fill in the code etcetera, but when I get to the installation bar, it exits itself hallway through, no error or warning. I tried it a few times but with no luck :(
    There may be remnants of the prior install left behind if the Windows registry was not cleaned up in between. We usually recommend Pirirform's CCleaner (the free version is fine) to do this after an uninstall but before a reinstall.
    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

But it could also be that your laptop is just not taking to the Win 10 update well. Many of them just cannot run Win 10 properly and many others require a total wipe (reformat) and full install of Win 10 from scratch, as opposed to an update from Win 8. How well is your computer working otherwise? What make and model are we talking about? How much RAM and what does it have for a processor and graphics card?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net