Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 won't recognize my graphics card

Sims 3 won't recognize my graphics card and it causes the game to lag and eventually freeze to a point where I have to reboot my laptop. It's Geforce 840M. Could somebody please explain it to me how I can fix this issue?

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2017
    Hi there. Yes, we can help you with formal card recognition but for the vast majority of users on that series of cards it doesn't really make any difference to how the game performs (yours could be an exception, of course). Are you getting a card unrecognized error on every startup or are you relying on the DeviceConfig.log to tell you that it's unrecognized?

Before we go down that path though, there are two much more important things to consider. One is, have you taken steps with the Nvidia Control Panel or some other tool to limit the frame rate (fps) on your card and have you checked in-game with the fps on cheat to verify that the fps rate is really being locked in at or under the refresh rate of your monitor? Usually that's 60Hz, so 60 fps. Unlike more recently produced games, TS3 does not have a built-in frame rate limiter and left unchecked they can run wild and cause all kinds of issues.

The other is that an 840M is not a high level graphics card. It can't really be expected to carry all of the EPs (do you have all of them?) on very high graphics settings in Game Options and at the highest of resolutions. Have you tried turning your settings down to medium on most of them if you were playing on the higher ones?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • giallorossigiallorossi Posts: 167 Member
    Hello, and thanks so much for the response!

I have all EPS and SPs and game loads super fast, but it freezes while building and I end up having to reboot. I used to run it on an older computer with an older graphics card with 1 gb ram, and the computer itself had 4 gb ram. And never faced a problem. Game did not even lag. My current one is so much better than the older one! :(

I do get a card unrecognized error on every startup. And I haven't done anything with the control panel. I don't even know how to do what you just said there about fps cheat.
    edited February 2017
    Let's start with the frame rate thing, then as it's so much more important. Then we'll move onto the other.

In-game, bring up the cheat panel with ctrl+shift+ C. Type fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, including when in Build Mode or any mode, the frame rate displayed in the little circle should never wander far above 60, the likely refresh rate of your monitor. Uncapped and wildly fluctuating frame rates into the hundreds or thousands will cause your card to work far too hard to produce frames per second that your monitor cannot possibly interpret, the excess is noise not quality. This will cause graphics glitches, lag, freezing, crashes, and can ultimately destroy your graphics card and do damage to your system board if left uncapped. To make the displayed frame rate go away, cheats console again, fps off (enter).

To cap the frame rate, the first tool to try is the Nvidia Control Panel. Be sure to use TS3.exe for Patch 1.69 or TS3w.exe for Patches 1.67 and below and note that this only works in full screen mode. See the illustration below. If it doesn't stay locked in that way or if you must play in windowed mode, there are other tools we can use.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14991412#Comment_14991412

Once we have that all set and verified that it's working, please open your DeviceConfig.log, it's a file in your TS3 user game folder in Documents, and copy/paste the first 40 lines or so into a private message (PM). You can stop when it gets to the long lists of game options. We prefer to use PMs for this so as not to confuse other players with different model cards because the instructions differ for each one.

At the end of the day, I believe we can improve performance over what you have described. But an 840M is still not strong enough to run all EPs on high graphics settings well. Your game should certainly be more playable than the above, but the overall strength of your card we can't change.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • giallorossigiallorossi Posts: 167 Member
    It's still worth a try. Thank you so much. I will PM you in a few minutes.
  • moe1810moe1810 Posts: 14 New Member
    > @igazor said:
    > Hi there. Yes, we can help you with formal card recognition but for the vast majority of users on that series of cards it doesn't really make any difference to how the game performs (yours could be an exception, of course). Are you getting a card unrecognized error on every startup or are you relying on the DeviceConfig.log to tell you that it's unrecognized?
    >
    > Before we go down that path though, there are two much more important things to consider. One is, have you taken steps with the Nvidia Control Panel or some other tool to limit the frame rate (fps) on your card and have you checked in-game with the fps on cheat to verify that the fps rate is really being locked in at or under the refresh rate of your monitor? Usually that's 60Hz, so 60 fps. Unlike more recently produced games, TS3 does not have a built-in frame rate limiter and left unchecked they can run wild and cause all kinds of issues.
    >
    > The other is that an 840M is not a high level graphics card. It can't really be expected to carry all of the EPs (do you have all of them?) on very high graphics settings in Game Options and at the highest of resolutions. Have you tried turning your settings down to medium on most of them if you were playing on the higher ones?

I know this is a bit old, but considering I don't know how to post a question in the forum I'll just add it here. I am having the exact same issue for some reason Sims 3 is running on Intel HD 4000 graphics card and not my Nvidia GT 740M and it is frustrating to have it lagging on me and needing to sacrifice the graphics to make it playable. Even though I put the vendor and device ID plus name my GT740M in the Deviceconfig it's still running on Intel HD 4000 since once I close sims or if it crashes on me I check the Deviceconfig it goes back to Intel HD 4000 not Nvidia.
    edited May 2017
    moe1810 wrote: »
    I know this is a bit old, but considering I don't know how to post a question in the forum I'll just add it here. I am having the exact same issue for some reason Sims 3 is running on Intel HD 4000 graphics card and not my Nvidia GT 740M and it is frustrating to have it lagging on me and needing to sacrifice the graphics to make it playable. Even though I put the vendor and device ID plus name my GT740M in the Deviceconfig it's still running on Intel HD 4000 since once I close sims or if it crashes on me I check the Deviceconfig it goes back to Intel HD 4000 not Nvidia
    Hi there.

The DeviceConfig.log in your TS3 user game folder (in Documents) is a log file. That means it is program output. The game doesn't read this file, it produces it based on your hardware set and its drivers plus how the game interprets them at the time the game is launched. You can change an existing log file in a text editor all you want, but it's just going to get overwritten with a new one next time.

The goal here is to get your game to behave the way it should and then the next log file will reflect that, not the other way around.

If you go through the steps outlined further up this thread to limit the fps using the Nvidia Control Panel or (if that doesn't work) Nvidia Inspector, then you will be telling your computer to use the Nvidia card for TS3 rather than Intel. For the executable to be referenced, be sure to use TS3.exe for Patch 1.69 but TS3w.exe (with the "w") for 1.67 or below.

But I must point out that the GT 740M is not a powerful graphics card. Although it is dedicated and should perform better than Intel, I'm afraid most players on that card will still find that a well running game with all EPs on anything more than medium (if that) graphics settings in Game Options is just not reachable. Same as was said about the 840M prior on this thread. It's the middle digit in these series of cards that is important. So how many EPs (and which ones) do you have in play?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Hey, thanks for the answer. Sorry I didn't see the answer here and commented on the other thread. I have all the expansion packs and use all of them. But even on low it is still laggy a bit and always stuttering. I know GT740M isn't a powerful graphics card but shouldn't it be enough to run a game from 2009 with minimal graphics? I've put on Vsync and used the Nvidia Control Panel but the game is still laggy. Could it be because of poor optimization, because sometimes its smooth but when I start moving the camera it starts lagging and stuttering.

I've tried running it with TS3W.exe and it's still the same.
    edited May 2017
    Hey, thanks for the answer. Sorry I didn't see the answer here and commented on the other thread. I have all the expansion packs and use all of them. But even on low it is still laggy a bit and always stuttering. I know GT740M isn't a powerful graphics card but shouldn't it be enough to run a game from 2009 with minimal graphics? I've put on Vsync and used the Nvidia Control Panel but the game is still laggy. Could it be because of poor optimization, because sometimes its smooth but when I start moving the camera it starts lagging and stuttering.

I've tried running it with TS3W.exe and it's still the same.
    For the base game alone, yes most likely. When you add years' worth of patches and 11 EPs to it, the equation changes drastically and I would have to say no. In most players' experiences, Pets, Seasons, IP, and ITF, the heaviest hitting EPs, would be too much for that graphics card. The impact of the in between EPs will vary. The more modern version of that card, the 940M, isn't going to fare any better. It's the middle digit in these series that dictate how strong the card is and the "M" means the mobile version, which is scaled down further. Within the series you have, we would have to say at least a 760M would be required to carry the entire game. But they don't make those anymore and you can't upgrade the graphics card on a laptop like that one.

But part of the original problem as you described it was that DeviceConfig is reporting that the game wasn't using the 740M anyway, it was using integrated. Has that now changed?

Also, I think you may have misunderstood. I wasn't saying to run the game using TS3w.exe to start it up. I was explaining which executable needs to be fps capped in Nvidia Control Panel. Patch 1.69 uses TS3.exe, Patch 1.67 and below uses TS3w.exe, they "decide" which executable to use all by themselves as per their programming, and the correct one needs to be capped regardless of how you startup the game.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    No, it is still using Intel HD graphics. But I did notice the fps is pretty high 60 fps (with the fps lock) but every time I move the camera it drops till like 15-30ish. Could it be using Nvidia Graphics but it says Intel on Deviceconfig? Or is it a stutter issue from the game?

Note: this is on low-medium settings.
    edited May 2017
    Possible though not likely. I don't think your Intel graphics chip would be capable of producing fps over 60 even if it tried. DeviceConfig does get things "wrong" sometimes, but not usually the graphics card actually being used when there is a dual configuration. If you can successfully lock the fps rate on the 740M tied to the correct executable in the Nvidia Control Panel (and note this is only going to work in Full Screen mode, not Windowed mode), then the game should use and report using the Nvidia card.

Many players have trouble getting vsync to work that way and turn to Nvidia Inspector instead. Which, in case it's relevant, will work in Full Screen or Windowed mode.
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-profile-inspector-download.html
    (look for the real download links 3/4 of the way down the page, not the rogue adware that tends to appear in the upper right corner if you don't have an ad blocker)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I locked the fps rate using Nvidia Control Panel (Vsync) yet it shows Intel on Deviceconfig, and I am running it on full windows.
    > @moe1810 said:
    > I locked the fps rate using Nvidia Control Panel (Vsync) yet it shows Intel on Deviceconfig, and I am running it on full windows.

Sorry for double positing I don't know how to edit, I meant running it on Full Screen.
    edited May 2017
    Then I again suggest trying Nvidia Inspector and making sure to use the correct executable within the tool for your game's patch level.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Okay so I downloaded Nvidia Inspector, but I don't know what to do.

Also my fps caps lock is working since I think since it did not go above 60 (I've checked the fps using ingame console)
    edited May 2017
    It is unlikely that an Intel HD 4000, if that is what the game is truly running, would be capable of producing fps over 60 even if it wanted to. But it can't be providing a very solid gaming experience either, that's why I think what you have done in the Control Panel is being ignored (and this is unfortunately common).

In just about the center of the left side of the screen on Inspector, next to the driver version, you should see a little toolbox icon. If you click on that, it should take you to where the program specific settings can be found. See the illustrations under the Spoiler button on this post.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15639712/#Comment_15639712

I can't take you any further or provide screenshots myself as my card happens to be AMD so I'm using a different tool to accomplish this. But others here can help if it's not clear what to do from the illustrations.
    @Simasaurus09
    @ChelleJo
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    The Vsync is already forced on for some reason, so what does that mean?
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    You caught me about to get off the forums. I haven't been around much in the last couple months (in case someone has paged and I haven't answered. I just popped on trying to get Porter help).

@moe1810 The link Igazor provided will have pictures on the post under the spoiler tag that will explain exactly how to set up Inspector. I happen to use RTSS for limiting fps, but I do have inspector for anti-aliasing fix for sims 3 and 4. Just make sure after you make the changes to force vertical sync that you click apply changes at the top before closing out.

I'm not sure how to force the game to run the Nivida card and not the intel. I don't run dual cards except on my laptop and it never gave me fits, so I have no experience there.

I followed this video to get my card recognized. Only thing I'd suggest is that you save a copy of all files before you edit them and save them to desktop. That way, if something doesn't go right, you have a fresh, default copy that you can replace the edited one with. https://youtu.be/gTb7UnZE_lU?t=2m33s (I skipped to 2:33 cause the first 2 and half minutes is just her rambling).

I'd personally ask a few questions (they might have been asked and I missed them). Are you running any mods? Which ones? I absolutely LOVE Nraas story progression, but even on my very capable computer, it sometimes just decides, "Nope, you aren't running this today!" I have tweaked the settings in it and now, I'm on a couple month "issue free" streak. But Nraas story progression is pretty demanding. I imagine there is other mods that could be demanding, too.

What is your lot detail set at under your game settings? I keep mine around 4. I do notice a bit more stutter when I have it set on high.

What world are you playing in? Does this happen in all worlds?
    p8L4V6v.png
    Hey, I am only running overwatch mod, and for lot details I have it at 2. I am playing in Appaloosa Plains, and I can't say for sure how it will be in other worlds considering I haven't left Appaloosa Plains.

Only problem is I checked the video, I don't get the error Unrecognized Hardware popping up in my screen. I do know GT 740M is not one of the supported cards. Reason why I am not getting it I am assuming is because I'm running it on Intel card.

For the Nvidia Inspector the Vsync is on Forced on.
    Thanks @ChelleJo - I paged you because I saw that you were at one time helping a player with their Inspector configuration. I use RTSS myself as well for my AMD card but no dual graphics here either. The problem with using the sgr files to force card recognition in this particular case, which isn't necessary for most players anyway, is that if the game is going to continue using the Intel chip all that will probably do is trick the game into thinking that the Intel is really the Nvidia card (and that won't help matters at all).

We may have to bring out the big guns for this one. The question remains, how do we definitively tell which card the game is using when DeviceConfig insists it is Intel. It might help the others responding if you could copy and paste the first 40 lines of your most recent DeviceConfig.log (you can stop when it gets to those long lists of game options) into a response here, but they may ask for a complete dxdiag report in the end anyway.

@phoebebebe13
    @chesterbigbird
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    @igazor Yeah, hopefully Chester or Phoebe can help. If the intel is what is showing in the device config, you're probably right, it would just trick the game into thinking it was a Nvidia. I didn't think about that.

@moe1810 What does Inspector show as your graphic card? Here is where you can see it: T7W1829.jpg
    Also, those 40 or so lines from DeviceConfig Igazor mentioned would be good.

If Inspector is showing the Nvidia card as his card, I imagine that is the card being used for the game. If not, maybe Phoebe or Chester would know how to fix it.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Hey, I am only running overwatch mod, and for lot details I have it at 2. I am playing in Appaloosa Plains, and I can't say for sure how it will be in other worlds considering I haven't left Appaloosa Plains.

Only problem is I checked the video, I don't get the error Unrecognized Hardware popping up in my screen. I do know GT 740M is not one of the supported cards. Reason why I am not getting it I am assuming is because I'm running it on Intel card.

For the Nvidia Inspector the Vsync is on Forced on.

That notice of unrecognized video card will only pop up once but go away. Did you add the game to your Nvidia control panel? If so it should be running on Nvidia. I have never changed my sgr files. If your getting 60 fps and playing Pets I would say the game is using your Nvidia card . If you were playing pets on your intel card good chance you would have serious screen tearing
    === Application info ===
    Name: Sims3
    Version:
    Build: Release
    === Rating info ===
    GPU: 3 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 2 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2095 Threading: 3
    Adjusted CPU: 2393 RAM: 5999 Adjusted RAM: 5487 Cores: 4
    === Machine info ===
    OS version: Windows 8 6.2.9200
    OS prod type: 0
    OS major ver: 6
    OS minor ver: 2
    OS SP major ver: 0
    OS SP minor ver: 0
    OS is 64Bit: 1
    CPU: GenuineIntel
    Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3612QM CPU @ 2.10GHz
    Family: 6
    Model: 10
    Cores: 4
    HT: 1
    x64: 0
    Memory: 5999MB
    Free memory: 4847MB
    User: Moe
    Computer: MOHAMMAD
    === Graphics device info ===
    Number: 0
    Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    Name (database): Mobile IvyBridge GT2 [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
    Vendor: Intel
    Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 0166, Board: 390417aa, Chipset: 0009
    Driver: nvumdshim.dll, Version: 21.21.13.7866, GUID: D7B78E66-4226-11CF-A06A-0919B3C2D835
    Driver version: 7866
    Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY6
    Texture memory: 4040MB
    Vertex program: 3.0
    Pixel program: 3.0
    Hardware TnL: 1

I've also increased some of my graphics to high and somehow the game is still running on 40s and sometime 50s fps. The lag and stuttering comes from when I move the camera.

Yes, the Inspector is showing my Nvidia Card.
    Yes, sorry I did not see your post. I added the game on Nvidia Control Panel, but the deviceconfig says Intel. So it's possible that the deviceconfig is wrong?
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    If you added the game to control panel, inspector is stating it's using Nvidia and your getting 40-50 fps on high I would say it's using Nvidia. Pets is the most demanding ep in the game. Intel cards usually will have issues rendering that ep.

Do you still get the stutter while moving the camera around if you lower graphic settings at normal speed? You should keep lot details on low no matter what card you have. A patch caused stutter issues. I only get the stutter moving the camera around if on higher speed than normal. I don't move the camera around if I am on high speed.
    edited May 2017
    Well, there's a first time for everything. I wonder though, since the DeviceConfig is produced at the instant the game begins starting up if maybe it really is running the Intel just briefly and handing things over to the Nvidia only a little bit later in the process.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!