Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What would you like the teens to be like?

So I've read people going on about how teens are bad in the game. What would you like to see that would make them great? No bashing please, just actual ideas.

One would probably be the height for a lot of people. For me, I'd like different outfits and hairstyles from YA and A like we had before. I'm happy with the teens overall though, but a little something to better identify them wouldn't hurt. Ooh, and I'd like pimples to come back!
Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)

Comments

• Options
    I like them just how they are now. I was taller than both of my parents by age 13 and had a full beard before I turned 16. I knew a kid who was 6'5 by the 7th grade. The thing is, the teen lifespan is a wide range. Most 18 and 19 year olds are not much different physically from say, a 25 year old. I'd prefer the teen lifespan stay the same and a pre-teen lifespan is introduced.

The only improvements I can think of are gameplay related. A game pack or expansion pack focused on teens would be nice. Maybe if we get a University EP in the future, active high schools and prom events could be added as well. I already use mods for those activities, but it would be nice to have an official version.
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    edited February 2017
    I don't mind the height and I don't expect Maxis to change it at this point. Besides, I'm still hoping they will add preteens/young teens to the game. As for the teens, I just want more content for them. Things like after school activities, school dances (prom), that boarding school idea from one of the surveys sounded great as well. But it doesn't even have to be content exclusive for them, things like bowling and basketball are great for teens, so I guess more content like that would be ideal, specially more sports/hobbies (football, ballet,etc.). Also when/if cars get added, it would be nice if they could learn how to drive, have their first car, and when we get University, maybe they can graduate high school and their grades would actually matter when going into Uni.

But most importantly, I really really need a grounding system so we can decide what our teens can and can't do. As long as it's completely optional and we are the ones who get to decided what are the limits, and when our teens should get grounded. I don't mind that they are meant to be older, but there has to be some boundaries to what they should be allowed to do.

edit: After reading some comments I realized I forgot to mention the aspirations. I definitely want teen exclusive aspirations that make sense for them. I don't get why the adult ones are available for them when you can't even complete most of them as a teen. The Big Happy Family and Successful Lineage are just useless on a teen because the sim has to be an adult to start those.
    Post edited by bythedreadwolf on
  • Options
    Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited February 2017
    Personally, I'd ideally wish for them to have a 'separate' heights option (doubt it would happen, but with toddlers I feel like anything is possible :lol:)

Interaction/features wise:
    • School-like pack: To me it's something significant in this game that truely seperates them from adults, so why not expand on it? Honestly I'd love a school pack for preschool- teenhood. That way University can be exclusively for YA+.
    • I'd enjoy the similar (optional) types of teens. I know that not everyone likes stereotypes for teens, but where I'm from, they basically made 'teen-life' what it was lol. However ofcourse one could make the teen 'undecided' for a more unique non stereotypical teen.
    • A optional parent system. One of which the parent could actually choose or lecture a teen about their clothes and could restrict on their clothing, and could set a curfew if possible. Ofcourse if the simmer doesn't want the parent doesn't wish to be strict, they don't have to.
    • High School-life: The fun gossip, raging hormones, exploring the types/cliques of teen-hood, finding a first love, school debates, class president, prom, etc, and a great education would be the perfect stepping stone before a proper University EP (imo).
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    For me its not about height per se as a lot of teens are the same height or indeed taller than their parents. But they should have physical differences. My body changed a lot from teenage years to adult hood. But when you create a teen in CAS and immediately age her to young adult the differences are minimal. You have to really look to spot the changes.
    The player should have the choice to decide their heights or if that isn't possible then the teens need to be shorter. Before the age of the sim appeared when you hovered your mouse over them, it was incredibly hard to tell the difference between adults and teens. Potentially a lot of adults were almost hitting on teens which is a bit creepy.

Game play wise they should get acne, they should be able to run away, they should sneak out with their friends and learn to drive if they have a car. (Assuming we get cars) Teens should have prom and graduation and be able to play pranks on family and friends. They should also be able to have sleep overs and throw parties when their parents are out of town. They should have mood swings. I could go on...
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    Spite I know teens are generally taller than adults or about the same height, I suppose the different height we had in teens since Sims 2 kind of grow on you.

But the thing I REALLY miss in terms of the teens are gameplay that's related to them. Things as, proms, curfews, sneaking out, teasing annoying brother/sister, writing a dairy, gossip about cute boys/girls, boarding school, getting grounded, etc etc.
    As the teens are now, there's hardly anything that makes them different than an adult. It more feels like we got an extended lifespan on adults.
  • Options
    FFX2Paine506FFX2Paine506 Posts: 675 Member
    edited February 2017
    The only issue for me with height right now is there seems to be an ongoing glitch where not every sim shows the age under their name. I've done all the jazz of "repair game", I even got a new computer this week (not for that reason specifically lol), so any issue should have fixed itself reinstalling the entire game on a completely clean and brand new computer. I also don't use mods or cc. That being stated, I think it's something on the game's end, and not on mine.

Anyways, even with that glitch fixed, I still hate having to scroll over every person in the lot to figure out their age instead of just looking and realizing. I really just think the height difference would make the game easier, even if it's only by a little bit.

Besides the fact of height, like @MidnightAura stated, there are hardly any differences at all. It's almost like an adult with homework and they can't woohoo, but that's about it. They really don't have a lot to differentiate or set them apart from the rest of the adults in terms of appearance and actual gameplay.
    ~I do not use mods or cc~
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Having teenagers with their own height and voices so you can tell them apart from adults should be a good start.

Oh, and teen careers like in TS2 would be cool as well :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    simlish1simlish1 Posts: 2,738 Member
    To me, teen are just adults that go to school who can't have children. You see them around the neighborhood and you can't tell if they are a teen or adult. I'd like something that makes them stand out more.
    Origin ID - eliselove1
    Four Seasons Properties

• Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited February 2017
    I'd like to see separated aspirations like children got. Something that included first dates and making the honor roll, teen parties, learning to drive and taking driver's tests, first kisses, scouting colleges, prom! I know some of that would require additional game play we don't have (yet?) but I'd also like to see them look more like teens too. I realize some teens look like adults, but the majority that I see around me don't. They look like, well, teens. They're shorter, slighter in build, less developed...some have acne... It'd be sort of sweet to have the little teen boys get the voice change that happens for many boys in teenhood. Nothing..graphic or anything that would be upsetting or unpleasant to some players, but just iconic little things that mark teenhood verging on becoming adults.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited February 2017
    I play Teens a lot, ever since Get Together made them more interesting. And there's definitely things I feel could be done to make that lifestage even better.

For one, I'd like to see more for teens to do that's teen-specific. My #1 preference for that would be an active school pack (and I'd like that for Children, too).

For two, I'd like more activities that are common to teens but can be continued later. Say, skateboarding.

For three, I'd like either the ability to age-restrict or set preferred ages on venue, or a venue type that's a teen hangout. The first, version b, is my preference. I'd love to be able to set my ice cream parlour or "mall" as a place that mostly (but not entirely) attracts teens. I'd like this as a custom thing on venues generally, so I could make a hipster mostly-YA lounge or that family diner that everyone's grandparents go to and insist is great (don't get me started).

For four, acne.

For five, I'd love to be able to set my own age-filters in CAS so that townies and aging-up Sims have age-delimited clothing options. And I'd like to be able to pick what age(s) a hairstyle or clothing item has assigned to it, so that I can play a save with a storyline that it's the older generation who are punks and hippies and whatnot while a new generation of teens are growing up more conservative, and I could shift the age assignments at some point in that save. (An option like this might also allow Simmers to shift a unisex hair or CAS item to single-gender in the game's autonomous use of it.)

For six, I think it would be interesting to have a third Trait slot, teen-only, that is for a trait focused on how teens relate to peers and family and adults. Things like Rebellious and Class Clown and Wallflower. It would take things one step farther than I can do with Clubs, which are great for the Teen lifestage.

ETA: Optional household-level curfew. Almost forgot that :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited February 2017
    I don't care much about the height. I've been the same height that I am since I was 12. (I'm a normal adult height). It's also not something that I really notice.

I like playing the entire span of life for a bunch of different sims with different personalities none of which are meant to be me. Though teens aren't a specific focus for me, I would likely consider a strong pack for them. The biggest thing for me would be flexibility in being able to make a teen the way that I want. I wasn't a rebellious teen myself and my sims in the game generally aren't. Sure, they sometimes want to be independent and to go off on their own but they aren't spray-painting houses or skipping school. Maybe Max Villareal will if I get around to playing him. Lol.

I mostly play smart, creative sims who are using that time to develop skills. I could see a boarding school working for a few of them as an option. I'm not really interested in cliques. They are fine as an option in the game but not something I want to focus on.

Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    I would just love to see some content. Some teenagers wear what's cool and some adults wear what's comfy. I would just love for the adult to be able to teach their teenagers the way of life, or not at all if they're not strict. Some people want to see prom and spots, and I have to agree with that!
  • Options
    ScrapbooksimsScrapbooksims Posts: 144 Member
    Maybe unique aspirations and traits for teenagers instead of YA-Elder ones?
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    Just a little something to make them different from other life stages. Nothing big, nothing fancy. And it can be something other than height. Like adults had midlife crises in TS3, teens could have something like that.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
    We got such AMAZING toddlers added into the game, I'm pretty positive that they could do some amazing things with the teens (and more child and PRETEEN traits, abilities, scenarios, etc. as well, PLEASE!), also. I personally, would love and throw money at EA, if they would make both a "Generations" style Expansion Pack, and perhaps a "teen focused" Game Pack, as well. Right now, I'm staying picky about what Packs I get, both for financial reasons and because I simply don't see myself needing or wanting, any that I don't already have, except perhaps Romantic Garden, or however it's titled there, the Stuff Pack with the wishing well, LOL!

But, for real Generations styled Expansion pack and a teen focused Game Pack? YES! Please just take my money already! :D
  • Options
    kirasososweetkirasososweet Posts: 172 Member
    I think acne is something that would set teens apart, also if they voices squeaked or showed signs of maturing. Also I think teens could be improved mostly with gameplay; a lot of people have already said it but, being grounded, school events, mood swings (even though they were kinda annoying in TS3), assigned chores/responsibilities, curfews, more teen specific part time jobs, teen parties when parents are away. I think that kind of stuff could definitely help with teens for TS4
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    So I've read people going on about how teens are bad in the game. What would you like to see that would make them great? No bashing please, just actual ideas.

One would probably be the height for a lot of people. For me, I'd like different outfits and hairstyles from YA and A like we had before. I'm happy with the teens overall though, but a little something to better identify them wouldn't hurt. Ooh, and I'd like pimples to come back!

An age filter, similar to the gender filter, is a great idea -- there are already age filters in the game (I believe they've been discovered by CC creators) but they're just not fully utilized -- a few outfits aren't available for elders, for example. Utilizing that more to give teens unique outfits and reduce the incidence of random townie adults looking like High School Musical rejects, while allowing players to remove the filter when dressing their own Sims would help to give teens more definition. We're not going to get shorter teens at this stage of the game (imagine the work to adjust all the clothing to fit both regular and shorter frames) so unique clothing might be the best bet.

I'd also like to see a bit more rebelliousness and pushing the limits with parents and siblings -- telling younger siblings they're adopted, for example, as a Mean or Mischief interaction, Talk Back to parents, and such. More negative reactions from parents to teen's ill manners and behavior. Player-controlled curfews, so you could have a super strict household and another one where anything goes, and the teen from the strict household figuring out how to sneak out and hang with their freer peers.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    The only issue I have with the teens because I'm sure more will be added for them later on is the height. If we can adjust the size of feet lol let us have a height slider too :D
  • Options
    Dayvon64Dayvon64 Posts: 493 Member
    The fact that the only "teen" thing I see in-game at the moment is the whim to lock a door is quite sad. I know that they have a few interactions that adults don't, but they are sooo empty. Where are the interactions that changes things or actually effect a conversation. It would be cool to ask for an allowance or as a result of being grounded the whim to lock doors actually comes to effect. Like I said before interactions, and not just for teens, are so empty. They work the same and either decrease friendship or increase it. Actual differences between interacting with Kids, Teens, and Adults would be amazing.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I have come to term with teen looking no different from adults. I just hope they will add teen specific activities and social events.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I'd like teens to have their own social events like prom or sleepovers. It was always cool to see them have a curfew and get caught by cops in TS2/TS3 & get lectured by parents. Learning to drive was fun. I think several mentioned acne. IMO we just need something that sets them apart from YA's. The teens in TS4 feel like they're 18 & I'd like to see younger teens. Currently there's nothing different to make them stand out. The only way I know a Sim is a teen is by scrolling my mouse over their head to see their age.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Acne
    Insecurity about appearance / More easily embarrassed
    Crushes
    Curfews
    Rebellion / Unique interactions with parents
    "Scold about homework/grades etc." interaction
    "Nag about messy room" interaction (would be great if combined with new clothing piles object)
    Younger voice/voice changes/cracks
    Proms with an actual social event at a new venue (School gym) that will include...
    Slow dancing (well, I want this for ALL sims)

That's all I can think of for now.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    oh man that sneaking out was so cute. I'd like that back.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    My thing is it seems they made the teens more mature I would like for them to learn to drive a vehicle. Go to prom, and study for scholarships, afterschool activities and clubs.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    The teen height doesn't bother me. Like others who have commented before me, I too was tall early on. Almost every one I know was adult height by their early teens, the exceptions remained short.
    My #1 preference for that would be an active school pack (and I'd like that for Children, too).
    I think I want this too.
    Something like the work places in GTW, perhaps with 3 locations, a primary school, a secondary/high school, and a university.
    So you can follow your sims to their place of education (or career, if they're in an education career!)
    For three, I'd like either the ability to age-restrict or set preferred ages on venue, or a venue type that's a teen hangout. The first, version b, is my preference. I'd love to be able to set my ice cream parlour or "mall" as a place that mostly (but not entirely) attracts teens. I'd like this as a custom thing on venues generally, so I could make a hipster mostly-YA lounge or that family diner that everyone's grandparents go to and insist is great (don't get me started).
    I like this idea. Personally I'd really like to have an abandoned building that teens and some young adults hang out at. It'd be even better if the cops could raid it late at night simetimes.
    But still, the option to choose the age group that your venue is aimed at would be awesome.
    For four, acne.
    Yes.
    But I'd want it to be stress related this time around. So a teen who is tense all the time would be more likely to get acne.
    I think it would be interesting to have a third Trait slot, teen-only, that is for a trait focused on how teens relate to peers and family and adults. Things like Rebellious and Class Clown and Wallflower. It would take things one step farther than I can do with Clubs, which are great for the Teen lifestage.
    I like this idea.
    Optional household-level curfew. Almost forgot that :)
    I'd rather one be set by parents/guardians per child/teen. So you can have one of your sims offspring who is spoilt, and gets away with everything, and one who they are super strict on, and has to be home by 6pm every night!

The other thing I'd like, is a school dance, that is an actual event, at an actual, playable location.
    And it would be nice if you got a notification about it early in the week, for the dance to be happening on the friday evening.

And like my idea for a parent set curfew, it would also be nice if the parents can set chores, and the chores have a time limit, so if they aren't done within 48 hours, you (as the parent) get options to punish your teen (more chores, yell at, send to their room, set earlier bed time for that day, disallow leaving the house for the rest of the day, not allowed to use electronics for 24 hours etc)
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif