Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you eating enough fruit and veggies?

MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
Theres a new study that suggests that very few of us are, and that we should all be eating 10 portions of veggies and fuit each day. TEN portions, adding up to a total of 800 grams each day!

How well are you doing so far?
How many portions of fruit/veg do you eat a day?

I thought I was doing ok, but I guess I could do better.
I usually have spinach in an omlett, or fruit and yogurt for breakfast. So that's about 1-2 portions.
Lunch often includes salad, or soup containing lots of veggies (depending on the time of year), so maybe another 2-3 portions.
And it's rare for me to not have veggies as part of my dinner, another 2-3 portions.
Ok, I easily reach the traditional 5 portions of fruit/veg, but I guess I could squeeze some more in... maybe I should have more smoothies?

Also, potatoes don't count towards your 10 portions of veggies.
I think I should have got kale, rather than potato chips to snack on. :/
AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif

Comments

• emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    I thought that it was 5 a day... and potatoes counted... (even though potatoes are more starchy and less vitaminy/mineraly than other vegetables)

Looks like I'll need to update my portions of veggies each day, so that I not only beat the 5 a day, but also the 10 a day.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited February 2017
    I never pay attention to these diet things, especially when it says we should eat X portions of Y each day. Vegetables gave high vitamin to calorie ratio, and it's good to eat more vegetables. But 10 poorly defined "portions" isn't really a valid rule.

Just make sure about half your plate is vegetables every meal and that's pretty much all there is to it.
    dgvibNQ.png
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    But 10 poorly defined "portions" isn't really a valid rule.
    But they're not acutally poorly defined. There are quite a few sites that do define the portion size, even if I didn't bother with it.
    Here is are some examples:
    e-cauliflower.72e63171.jpgi-tomato.6166503f.jpg
    g-peas.3daf11a2.jpga-kiwi.10ed36e3.jpg
    b-apple.8e982df7.jpgd-grapefruit.8bc46e1b.jpg

Just make sure about half your plate is vegetables every meal and that's pretty much all there is to it.
    I'd say more like 3/4 of your plate should contain veggies. A small piece of meat (no bigger than the palm of your hand), and 3 portions of veggies.
    You don't want half you meal to be meat, so what else would you have on the non-veggie half? Sauce? Gravy? Maybe something starchy, but you're better off replacing it with more veggies.

• zuzumax2zuzumax2 Posts: 78 Member
    I had pizza just now... peppers and onions. Um... a baked potato yesterday.... french fries the other day.... does that count lol?
    7wjjB5a.gif
    zuzumax2 wrote: »
    I had pizza just now... peppers and onions. Um... a baked potato yesterday.... french fries the other day.... does that count lol?

Peppers and onions? That's a start. Personally, I like spinach on pizza. Did you have any salad with it?
    What did you have on your baked potato? I like bacon, pineapple and coleslaw, on the rare occasions that I have one.
    French fries... well, if they were made from sweet potato, or zucchini, then they'd certainly count. But like the baked potato, they don't count as a vegetable on their own.

I think the world needs more veggie based junk food.
    Pizza loaded with veggies, sweet potato and zucchini fries, deep fried cauliflower in cumin batter, yiros with plenty of salad and garlic sauce crammed in around the meat...

There is a burger place in Australia that does sweet potato and zucchini chips, along with regular potato chips
    IMG_66671.jpg

Their burgers are pretty awesome too.
    900px_0074_Mighty-on-Trad-IMG_4539.jpg

Yes, that is beetroot on the burger. It's a thing in Australia. A proper hamburger should contain beetroot and/or pineapple... and bacon, and egg, and salad.
  • Evenstar606Evenstar606 Posts: 1,618 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    zuzumax2 wrote: »

Peppers and onions? That's a start. Personally, I like spinach on pizza. Did you have any salad with it?
    What did you have on your baked potato? I like bacon, pineapple and coleslaw, on the rare occasions that I have one.
    French fries... well, if they were made from sweet potato, or zucchini, then they'd certainly count. But like the baked potato, they don't count as a vegetable on their own.

I think the world needs more veggie based junk food.
    Pizza loaded with veggies, sweet potato and zucchini fries, deep fried cauliflower in cumin batter, yiros with plenty of salad and garlic sauce crammed in around the meat...

There is a burger place in Australia that does sweet potato and zucchini chips, along with regular potato chips
    IMG_66671.jpg

Their burgers are pretty awesome too.
    900px_0074_Mighty-on-Trad-IMG_4539.jpg

Yes, that is beetroot on the burger. It's a thing in Australia. A proper hamburger should contain beetroot and/or pineapple... and bacon, and egg, and salad.

Beets on a burger? That would be delicious! I love beets, and sweet potatoes. I like pineapple too, and eat it in stir fry but I've never tried it on a burger. It sounds good! I also like egg sandwiches, so maybe the egg wouldn't taste too strange for me on a burger. Now I'm hungry...
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    Pft. No.

I have been very careless in taking care of myself for years now. I did do something amazing last year and stop drinking pop, but as for managing what I eat, no. Managing my diet is very hard because I physically cannot eat a lot of things. =/

I went through a phase last late summer where I loved rice and ate a lot of it. Other than that, I can not say vegetables are present in my diet at all. I rarely eat rice anymore. I ate too much of it and got tired of it. =(
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    LOL, no.

My diet is horrible. I just tried to think of what I've had for veggies and fruit today and well... I got nothing, honestly nothing. Which actually makes me feel kinda sick now. I pretty much always have a little bit at least. My snack and/or lunch usually are pretty good. I usually have some kind of fruit and a yogurt for my snack and usually more fruit and sushi (california roll), salad, or a sandwhich for lunch. The sandwhich usually has like no veggies though, and the sushi well it's mostly rice so it doesn't have a lot but it does have some. Actually if I get the california spring roll, which I do if the have them, that's more veggie than anything :mrgreen: ).

Supper can go either way some days it's a good half or more veggies. Some days it's got like nothing.

Breakfast is... a disaster. I'm not a breakfast person, I have a really hard time being able to eat at all for a good hour after I get up. By which point I'm usually halfway to work and I end up stopping at the cafe or a burger joint (yeah, a burger joint. My breakfast is well after typical breakfast hours 'cause I work nights and very easily adapt to a night schedule) and getting something not healthy at all with little to no veggies.

I am working on it though. And honestly I was doing so much better for a while, but work got me so run down that I just gave into the exhaustion and laziness, and opt for the convenient options which don't tend to be the healthy ones. Which I know is still not a good excuse. But whether I really wanted it or not work is giving me a bit of a vacation (got a couple extra days off and then I go back for 2 short shifts, and get more days off) and I'm planning to use that to my advantage. Getting myself back on track and figuring out how to set myself up to stay on track. Because WOW, days like today are really not acceptable... and I'm sure this is probably more common than I'd want to know :/.

I do like fruit juice though. And since I seldom drink soda/pop now, I tend to replace it with fruit juice. Sugar content isn't much if any better... but I do get the real fruit juices not these artificial fruit cocktail things. So I still get the vitamins and good stuff fruit offers at least.
  • RitensRitens Posts: 68 Member
    Oh gosh. I have barely 2 meals a day (except on weekends) so i already fall out of this even though I think I eat a considerate amount of veggies/fruit. I try to have a good meal in the morning, then have to skip lunch altogether because there's simply no time to go out. Sometimes I have tea and/or an apple though. The schedule in uni is really ugly this semester. That's that. And then in the evening when I get home I eat everything I can. :s
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    Also, potatoes don't count towards your 10 portions of veggies.

*curses under breath*
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • FrejaFreja Posts: 159 Member
    I really eat more than that, but my diet is plant based so lols.
    I had lot of struggle eating spinach and kale, not my favorite greens. But they are great with miso.
    Smoothies are great, especially for those who want to get every single vitamin and mineral from their food. Edamame is one of the best snacks.
    Still can't believe potatoes doesn't count. They are the best salad.
  • TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    edited February 2017
    But 10 poorly defined "portions" isn't really a valid rule.
    But they're not acutally poorly defined. There are quite a few sites that do define the portion size, even if I didn't bother with it.
    Here is are some examples:
    e-cauliflower.72e63171.jpgi-tomato.6166503f.jpg
    g-peas.3daf11a2.jpga-kiwi.10ed36e3.jpg
    b-apple.8e982df7.jpgd-grapefruit.8bc46e1b.jpg

Ugh...that looks like a logistical nightmare to make sure everything is measured out like that...

It's still a bit confusing for me. 1 tomato is the same as half a grapefruit or 3 tablespoons of peas? Just seems so...arbitrary...
    I'd say more like 3/4 of your plate should contain veggies. A small piece of meat (no bigger than the palm of your hand), and 3 portions of veggies.
    You don't want half you meal to be meat, so what else would you have on the non-veggie half? Sauce? Gravy? Maybe something starchy, but you're better off replacing it with more veggies.

Might just be cultural differences though. Where I come from rice is generally the main course with meats and vegetables being secondary. Plus with the way things are cooked and how meals are shared...I don't know. The whole concept of portion size just seems weird and pretty impractical. Funny thing is, people here are generally healthy. Dietary experts be darned.

dgvibNQ.png
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    what's wrong with potatoes!?
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
    edited February 2017
    Simpkin wrote: »
    what's wrong with potatoes!?
    Too much starch, not enough nutients.
  • snarklessnarkles Posts: 244 Member
    I just got a bowl of grapes, so I'm good. I just won't tell you what I'm having for dinner.
    xSfr2Kh.jpg
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited February 2017
    I never pay attention to these studies. Half the time they seem to just come up with rubbish everyone already knows. Years ago there was a "study" I'd heard about on the radio where scientists believed that frying, grilling and roasting your food can cause cancer.

Then there was the egg alarm "ZOMG DONT EAT MORE THAN 1 or 2 EGGS A WEEK - BAD BAD" and now they've suddenly decided that "ZOMG EGGS GOOD - EAT AS MANY AS YOU LIKE"

I don't pay attention to things like that. Eat a healthy diet with plenty of fresh produce, wholegrains, and everything in moderation, and you'll do yourselves right.

I'm a diabetic, and due to a change in medication because pharmaceuticals have stopped manufacturing the medication I was taking, my sugar levels have been out of control for the last six months. Trying to avoid taking excess amounts of insulin, I've spent long sessions with a dietician to work out how to improve slow release energy to keep my sugar levels balanced. She told me the above, and not to pay attention to fads, or anything like that.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    How much is ten portions?? :D Anyways, I doubt I eat that much. I don't like veggies.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • A_CullerA_Culler Posts: 1,133 Member
    Pfft, that's not food, that's what food eats.
    Loneliness is a tax we have to pay to atone for a certain complexity of mind.

36187445662_5c73f737ed_c.jpg
    "I have yet to find a gold so pure that it's worth it's weight in dog."
  • RevenwynRevenwyn Posts: 317 Member
    If I did that I'd be on the toilet all day.

IBS-D sucks. I can't eat more than 15 grams of fiber per day.
    Like my T-shirt? Get it here: Revenwyn's Sims

• rachelt405rachelt405 Posts: 1,533 Member
    whispers no :)

I do need to change what I eat, I used to drink diet coke every day but I've stopped drinking fizzy drinks ( stopped for 4 months now ) mostly stick to flavoured water, my next thing is to cut down on chocolate and eat more fruit was going to start this week but I gave into my greedy thoughts and got a bag of revels :( slaps hand and ill start tomorrow instead :*
    Be kind to animals please help stop all cruelty to them

• MyFavoritedesignMyFavoritedesign Posts: 1,458 Member
    I like seasonal fruits.
    7HX1Vwg.png
  • AlinaAlisaAlinaAlisa Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm vegan so most of the time I eat enough or even more than that ;p
  • MellowMellow Posts: 138 Member
    Noo, I eat just junk food:( I'm not fat or smth (I can eat allot and I dont gain weight) but I have heart problems, but I wanna start eat healthier.
    21mc6e0.jpg
    My youtube channel with all my Sim paintings and CAS , speed builds HERE!
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    Veggies scare me, seriously...
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    @Revenwyn I know how you feel, I have ibs too. :s