Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Leaderboard Battle

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2017
    Now this is what the leaderboard should look like one day after reset. A realistic representation of the more prolific posters and topics on the forum.

LB%20MON%20720%20pm_zps7h1phc7l.png

Why? Because some names are missing? ETA: And the numbers are small? Maybe it wasn't that interesting.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Now this is what the leaderboard should look like one day after reset. A realistic representation of the more prolific posters and topics on the forum.

Why? Because some names are missing? ETA: And the numbers are small? Maybe it wasn't that interesting.

The leaderboard seems no different to usual. I am on it as are a few TS3 players. The only difference is they kicked me off of the all time board maybe because I was 'making TS4 look weaker' perhaps?

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member

The leaderboard seems no different to usual. I am on it as are a few TS3 players. The only difference is they kicked me off of the all time board maybe because I was 'making TS4 look weaker' perhaps?

@king_of_simcity7 , do you really believe that? You're saying you were removed from the leaderboard because your presence on the leaderboard indicates some type of threat to the Sims 4? And you actually think the gurus are concerned about that? So your removal had nothing to do with your forum behavior and possible ban?

@king_of_simcity7 , do you really believe that? You're saying you were removed from the leaderboard because your presence on the leaderboard indicates some type of threat to the Sims 4? And you actually think the gurus are concerned about that? So your removal had nothing to do with your forum behavior and possible ban?

I was joking btw

I actually have real life problems. I had to get a blood test done today, had to put up with one delayed train and now on another train where I had to fight for a seat with a dead arm and feeling weak and hen when o come to the forums I see people still talking about a leaderboard of all things? :(

I wish my life was as simple as worrying about small things like that
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg

I was joking btw

I actually have real life problems. I had to get a blood test done today, had to put up with one delayed train and now on another train where I had to fight for a seat with a dead arm and feeling weak and hen when o come to the forums I see people still talking about a leaderboard of all things? :(

I wish my life was as simple as worrying about small things like that

Then you just have to ignore it all. Remember what we talked about? I do hope everything turns out well for you.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    If I may say, all this consternation over meaningless internet points seems misplaced.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    If I may say, all this consternation over meaningless internet points seems misplaced.
    Exactly. If it's not such a big deal, then why keep talking about something that so meaningless. Just let it go because it is what it is, meaningless and it doesn't mean anything at all.

It is as I said before, you get more likes per the more you 'appeal' to people. Traditionally most of the high scorers where TS4 critics and maybe some players felt worried that some of the players they did not always agree with where getting a lot of points.

As I mentioned before, there is a big thing of being 'right' or 'wrong' on these forums and if you think that the person who you saw as 'wrong' is getting more points than you then it might be disheartening so some players where forced into drastic measures to boost other players leading to an unbalanced and unreal leader board.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited April 2017

It is as I said before, you get more likes per the more you 'appeal' to people. Traditionally most of the high scorers where TS4 critics and maybe some players felt worried that some of the players they did not always agree with where getting a lot of points.

As I mentioned before, there is a big thing of being 'right' or 'wrong' on these forums and if you think that the person who you saw as 'wrong' is getting more points than you then it might be disheartening so some players where forced into drastic measures to boost other players leading to an unbalanced and unreal leader board.

I think your remarks only further emphasis the fact that many of you are taking this whole point thing far too seriously. There are far better things to fret over than one's status in the Internet Cool Kids Club, much less some Sims forum faction war.

I think your remarks only further emphasis the fact that many of you are taking this whole point thing far too seriously. There are far better things to fret over than one's status in the Internet Cool Kids Club, much less some Sims forum faction war.

That is actually what I sad on the previous page more or less.

The thing is, until a month ago no one even ever mentioned the leader board once and most players did not even know it was there so I wonder why it has been brought into the spot light for some reason?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg

That is actually what I sad on the previous page more or less.

The thing is, until a month ago no one even ever mentioned the leader board once and most players did not even know it was there so I wonder why it has been brought into the spot light for some reason?

That then begs the question of why you continue to fight over this matter that you have now twice said is of no matter.
    You guys seem to be forgetting the Best Of also gets a lot of notice and many go ahead and like or awesome comments in there, too. It also counts toward people's totals. It's not just about the post they make but what is seen by many more than just reading forums. It attracts many who enjoy it and they like the replies and or awesome them so when counting your totals of how the leaderboard is being 'manipulated' you have to take into account there are more here who never log in to post but read and hit the like button. My question remains who would keep up with it changes every Sunday unless they are bothered by who is on it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    You guys seem to be forgetting the Best Of also gets a lot of notice and many go ahead and like or awesome comments in there, too. It also counts toward people's totals. It's not just about the post they make but what is seen by many more than just reading forums. It attracts many who enjoy it and they like the replies and or awesome them so when counting your totals of how the leaderboard is being 'manipulated' you have to take into account there are more here who never log in to post but read and hit the like button. My question remains who would keep up with it changes every Sunday unless they are bothered by who is on it.
    I agree with this. We do have some members who would just prefer to read the forums but don't really want to comment on anything as some have either seen other members being attacked for their opinion or they're just too shy to and/or socially awkward to make posts and comments, so they just read and go do other things instead of worrying about being on the forum for anything else. I just don't understand why people just don't want to believe the reasons that was already given about how some end up with more points than others... :/

The way some of these people are so worried about the leaderboard reminds me of some of the people on my friends list on Facebook. I have some friends who have either decided to leave FB or have said that they want to leave FB because they don't get any Likes or any of the other emojis that you can get on a post from any of their friends. REALLY? You're going to be so upset that no one likes any of your posts that you make? We are not in any type of popularity contest and we sure as heck don't get any type of rewards for being #1 on the leaderboard. The only things that the points do is assure that New Members will be full members once they get their 50 points and the other requirements and then the points are just meaningless and don't do anything else.

edited April 2017
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    I agree with this. We do have some members who would just prefer to read the forums but don't really want to comment on anything as some have either seen other members being attacked for their opinion or they're just too shy to and/or socially awkward to make posts and comments, so they just read and go do other things instead of worrying about being on the forum for anything else. I just don't understand why people just don't want to believe the reasons that was already given about how some end up with more points than others... :/

The way some of these people are so worried about the leaderboard reminds me of some of the people on my friends list on Facebook. I have some friends who have either decided to leave FB or have said that they want to leave FB because they don't get any Likes or any of the other emojis that you can get on a post from any of their friends. REALLY? You're going to be so upset that no one likes any of your posts that you make? We are not in any type of popularity contest and we sure as heck don't get any type of rewards for being #1 on the leaderboard. The only things that the points do is assure that New Members will be full members once they get their 50 points and the other requirements and then the points are just meaningless and don't do anything else.

I said a long time ago to take me off it, it seems to rile some. But they need to understand some of us were here before the site was actually up and running fully. We were here a few days or longer before everyone else. Some of our post numbers were carried over from when TS4 Discussions were on the TS3 site. I don't know if when the entire community joined this site from TS3 if their posts totals were carried forward to here. I have created 700 Threads myself so it's not hard to imagine I may have more numbers than others. I had plenty of disagrees, too, LOL until they removed those. And I have commented five times as much as the threads I have created. In the thousands (in replies) so it sort of makes sense to me.

I said a long time ago to take me off it, it seems to rile some. But they need to understand some of us were here before the site was actually up and running fully. We were here a few days or longer before everyone else. Some of our post numbers were carried over from when TS4 Discussions were on the TS3 site. I don't know if when the entire community joined this site from TS3 if their posts totals were carried forward to here. I have created 700 Threads myself so it's not hard to imagine I may have more numbers than others. I had plenty of disagrees, too, LOL until they removed those. And I have commented five times as much as the threads I have created. In the thousands (in replies) so it sort of makes sense to me.
    Exactly. The people that is on the All Time Leaderboard are members that was on the old TS3 site and so their post count carried over to this site. And any member that joins this site that was on the old site will have their post count carried over as well providing that they use their old TS3 account to join this site and not make a new one.

I really don't know why EA would chose to have a leaderboard in place for. I'm sure that they were well aware that it might upset some people for having it up and that it would cause problems with those who are really never on it. I guess they figure that we would are be mature enough to handle it and have fun with the leaderboard but in my opinion, it's done the opposite of what they thought that it would do. We do have some people who didn't know anything about the leaderboard as some people don't venture over to the Activity Wall as they would just prefer to stay on their wall or visit people that they want to chat with and don't want to have anything to do with the Activity Wall.

edited April 2017

Exactly. The people that is on the All Time Leaderboard are members that was on the old TS3 site and so their post count carried over to this site. And any member that joins this site that was on the old site will have their post count carried over as well providing that they use their old TS3 account to join this site and not make a new one.

I really don't know why EA would chose to have a leaderboard in place for. I'm sure that they were well aware that it might upset some people for having it up and that it would cause problems with those who are really never on it. I guess they figure that we would are be mature enough to handle it and have fun with the leaderboard but in my opinion, it's done the opposite of what they thought that it would do. We do have some people who didn't know anything about the leaderboard as some people don't venture over to the Activity Wall as they would just prefer to stay on their wall or visit people that they want to chat with and don't want to have anything to do with the Activity Wall.
    It's part of the Vanilla Websites' structures. They could just give us a helpful button and nothing else. But nobody is going to be able to knock Rose off the board since she spends all day helping people. LOL then there would be fights like "I was helpful' and no one pushed the helpful button. It seems status matters to some and not that much or at all, to me and others. Buttons or No buttons wouldn't stop me from posting how I feel or what I think.
    So my whole reason for starting this thread and bringing some attention to it is because I thought it was being unfairly manipulated and thus some members who share and contribute never have a chance to be recognized for it. Thank you all for your constructive comments and explanations on how the Leaderboard works. It has been most illuminating. I apologize if I offended anyone with my initial theory.

It's part of the Vanilla Websites' structures. They could just give us a helpful button and nothing else. But nobody is going to be able to knock Rose off the board since she spends all day helping people. LOL then there would be fights like "I was helpful' and no one pushed the helpful button. It seems status matters to some and not that much or at all, to me and others. Buttons or No buttons wouldn't stop me from posting how I feel or what I think.

This is the interesting part. Most players are 'vocal' without being aware there is a leader board in the first place.

The thing is the other day I saw someone say in another thread how it surprises them that the forums are so 'competitive' when it is a single player Sims game and not a multi player game. Games like that do have leader boards and maybe some disgusting levels of cheating. A Sims forum has never been about status before. Aside from some well known vocal players *looks around nervously* and a some builders/ modders and 'Youtubers' who become known around the community there is not proper ranks. There should be no player 'above' another other and having likes and awesomes, as nice as the intention is t does very little for the arguments when they appear. Indeed you could have two players arguing for hours on end and have roughly the same amount of likes as each other. Who is 'better' then?

My verdict is we do not 'need' a leader board on the forums. What we need is for players to show more respect and remember that although The Sims is a single player game, the forums are part of the community and no Simmer should be left out
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg

This is the interesting part. Most players are 'vocal' without being aware there is a leader board in the first place.

The thing is the other day I saw someone say in another thread how it surprises them that the forums are so 'competitive' when it is a single player Sims game and not a multi player game. Games like that do have leader boards and maybe some disgusting levels of cheating. A Sims forum has never been about status before. Aside from some well known vocal players *looks around nervously* and a some builders/ modders and 'Youtubers' who become known around the community there is not proper ranks. There should be no player 'above' another other and having likes and awesomes, as nice as the intention is t does very little for the arguments when they appear. Indeed you could have two players arguing for hours on end and have roughly the same amount of likes as each other. Who is 'better' then?

My verdict is we do not 'need' a leader board on the forums. What we need is for players to show more respect and remember that although The Sims is a single player game, the forums are part of the community and no Simmer should be left out

I don't care if we have a leaderboard or not. As I said it won't stop me from posting what I feel about games. Or off topic subjects or whatever.
    But I'm with others don't touch my buttons. ;) I like to press the buttons. If I like something I like it, if I think it was awesome I will hit awesome and when we had disagree it was better than me arguing with people since they were sensitive to my blunt mouth. Saved me a lot of trouble.

I'm never going to understand why people value their worth by strangers on the internet and or if they are liked if they are on a leaderboard or not. Who cares? The only thing I care about is getting the game fixed (it's a buggy as TS3 ever was) and them finding ways to bring more depth to these Sims as the older games did. If anyone thinks I even look at that thing then they haven't learned anything about me at all. I bet it's been over a year since I even looked at "Activities" so I don't get the heartburn but I guess it comes with age, it does not matter. At all.

I don't care if we have a leaderboard or not. As I said it won't stop me from posting what I feel about games. Or off topic subjects or whatever.
    But I'm with others don't touch my buttons. ;) I like to press the buttons. If I like something I like it, if I think it was awesome I will hit awesome and when we had disagree it was better than me arguing with people since they were sensitive to my blunt mouth. Saved me a lot of trouble.

I'm never going to understand why people value their worth by strangers on the internet and or if they are liked if they are on a leaderboard or not. Who cares? The only thing I care about is getting the game fixed (it's a buggy as TS3 ever was) and them finding ways to bring more depth to these Sims as the older games did. If anyone thinks I even look at that thing then they haven't learned anything about me at all. I bet it's been over a year since I even looked at "Activities" so I don't get the heartburn but I guess it comes with age, it does not matter. At all.

I am one of those players who likes to give insightful a lot (I actually game you one now) but it would be a shame to loose more buttons just because it offends other players. Just what happened to LOL, how many other forums do you know loose such buttons the way this place does? We had the so called 'lol troll' who would lol at certain things and then we had those who reacted to it taking offence. It is just ridiculoius :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    No- Post count is different than the Leader board points. The points there are for participation here. I remember being at the top with about 50 points. :lol:

I fell down the board right after but I don't mind. I'm not in the Family Fun, Sharing Lots/Sims/Stuff posts. :)

I just got on there with one point! :D for about less than a minute I was ruling the forums :tongue:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg

I am one of those players who likes to give insightful a lot (I actually game you one now) but it would be a shame to loose more buttons just because it offends other players. Just what happened to LOL, how many other forums do you know loose such buttons the way this place does? We had the so called 'lol troll' who would lol at certain things and then we had those who reacted to it taking offence. It is just ridiculoius :no_mouth:

I agree with both @king_of_simcity7 and @Cinebar on the buttons. I don't want to see them go away either as I too like to hand out Insightful, Like or Awesome as well as giving my opinion when I'm in the mood to give one.

And I also agree with Cinebar said about if they just had the Helpful button and how no one would be able to knock Rosemow off the top of the leaderboard as she is very helpful with everyone... :)

• GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member

To be honest I didn't even know the Leader Board exist until someone pointed it out last year. I never paid attention to it.

If I get on the leader board, will that make me popular? I wanna be on the leader board! Like my comment please!
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member

I agree with both @king_of_simcity7 and @Cinebar on the buttons. I don't want to see them go away either as I too like to hand out Insightful, Like or Awesome as well as giving my opinion when I'm in the mood to give one.

And I also agree with Cinebar said about if they just had the Helpful button and how no one would be able to knock Rosemow off the top of the leaderboard as she is very helpful with everyone... :)
    Same! I like that we are able to agree with comments. Especially since I'm not very good at explaining myself, I rely on others to speak for me.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.