Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Leaderboard Battle

Comments

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I had a quick look at my page and aside from a few points from some recent pictures I have shared today I have also had a few likes from January...

I don't know if it is a coincidence but I am disappointed as I would rather people give me likes because they like my content rather than just for a game. It is also disappointing when I start a positive thread which I spent ages writing and get no replies but I get a few likes which means people have read it but not bothered to reply :(

I always try to reply to everyone who posts something interesting and I hate to see good threads get buried in favour of the more sour ones
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Oh my, I don't know anything about the leader boards. I will say this though, I have a habit of hitting the "Best of" link at the top, and I scroll thru there quite often. I hit a like or awesome on the ones I like though. I generally dont go into that thread unless I want to say something on that thread. I checked out the "Best of" page a few minutes ago and they do have some from 2015 :o

Thats the only thing I can think of, because I learned from the beginning to check the date out before posting so you dont revive the thread. I never thought I needed to check the dates out on the "Best of" page.

@luthienrising It could have been me? Not sure, but I will watch for the dates on the "Best of" page now ;)

So, are you saying if you dont comment, but hit a like on an old thread, it messes up the leader board?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited March 2017
    Oh my, I don't know anything about the leader boards. I will say this though, I have a habit of hitting the "Best of" link at the top, and I scroll thru there quite often. I hit a like or awesome on the ones I like though. I generally dont go into that thread unless I want to say something on that thread. I checked out the "Best of" page a few minutes ago and they do have some from 2015 :o

Thats the only thing I can think of, because I learned from the beginning to check the date out before posting so you dont revive the thread. I never thought I needed to check the dates out on the "Best of" page.

@luthienrising It could have been me? Not sure, but I will watch for the dates on the "Best of" page now ;)

So, are you saying if you dont comment, but hit a like on an old thread, it messes up the leader board?

I think that the leaderboard is impacted mostly by likes etc., not by comments. And I know I've had the impression that sometimes someone is actually deliberately bumping me up it because suddenly, when I've been off it for a while (which I notice because I check Activity most days at least once), I'll notice I'm back on it even though I didn't post much of anything new at all, and lo and behold all of a sudden I'll have 3 or 4 pages of new likes all from the same month at least a year earlier - not just one or two, pages of them :/ - and all on never-liked-before comments. It's just too scripted feeling. And it's really icky to be the recipient of. And I'd be really happy if the leaderboard was cut so people stopped manipulating it. I don't like being part of that manipulation.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member

I think that the leaderboard is impacted mostly by likes etc., not by comments. And I know I've had the impression that sometimes someone is actually deliberately bumping me up it because suddenly, when I've been off it for a while (which I notice because I check Activity most days at least once), I'll notice I'm back on it even though I didn't post much of anything new at all, and lo and behold all of a sudden I'll have 3 or 4 pages of new likes all from the same month at least a year earlier - not just one or two, pages of them :/ - and all on never-liked-before comments. It's just too scripted feeling. And it's really icky to be the recipient of. And I'd be really happy if the leaderboard was cut so people stopped manipulating it. I don't like being part of that manipulation.

Wow, I did not know that! So it seems it is probably someone who is really familiar with how the leader board works? I wouldn't think it would be a new person coming in here, because they probably don't know all this stuff (unless they are under a different name, multiple times?)

Well, I don't see a reason for a leader board, but if this is what is gong on, they need to cut it!
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member

A couple months ago I was PM'd by a user who I didn't know and had never spoken to.
    Apparantly she saw my name because the two of us were mentioned for badges in the same notification.

She wanted me to join her club...the basic premise? To create a circle of friends that would support each other with leaderboard votes.
    I politely declined.
    edited March 2017
    Uzone27 wrote: »

A couple months ago I was PM'd by a user who I didn't know and had never spoken to.
    Apparantly she saw my name because the two of us were mentioned for badges in the same notification.

She wanted me to join her club...the basic premise? To create a circle of friends that would support each other with leaderboard votes.
    I politely declined.

I didn't even know that we even have 'clubs' on the forums? :open_mouth: This isn't Facebook or at least I didn't think it was
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    I will also add that I know one member of the forums who said to me in a PM that they hated ever being on the leader board as they where stalked by trolls. I actually had some hassle from a couple of trolls once for it as well. That was when the forums was at it's worst and the more people that 'agreed' with you then the more likes that you got and obviously some trolls hated that. The leader board was therefore being used by trolls as a way of abusing others. :(
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited March 2017
    How do users with no posts get on the leaderboard? Or with posts but no reactions to those posts? :/
    If it's that meaningless, that's yet another reason to cut the silly thing.
    (And yes, I checked when I dropped into Activity. I was curious who those unfamiliar names were.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,859 Member
    The ones with no posts earn points when awarded badges. All those on the leaderboard with no posts recently earned an anniversary badge.
    The ones with no posts earn points when awarded badges. All those on the leaderboard with no posts recently earned an anniversary badge.

Just wondering if banned users still get badges? We went through a phase of a lot of trolls who would get banned a create new accounts straight away and then start trolling again.

Just imagine if one group of banned trolls all got their badges and became leaders on the same day :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    How do users with no posts get on the leaderboard? Or with posts but no reactions to those posts? :/
    If it's that meaningless, that's yet another reason to cut the silly thing.
    (And yes, I checked when I dropped into Activity. I was curious who those unfamiliar names were.)

What @simgirl1010 has said. When someone that was on the old TS3 site comes to this site for the very 1st time and earn their badges, then they make the leaderboard but is short lived. When I see someone whom I've never seen before, I will go over to their page to see when they joined and some of them have joined dates as far back as 2009.

Like this person here: alicchen joined in September 2009 and just now came to this site on March 5th. They have a total of 40 points and 8 badges. They have 7 of the Anniversary badges and the Combo Breaker badge for earning 5 badges in 1 day.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/profile/aliccchen

Thanks for the explanations! It's all just a bit weird.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    @king_of_simcity7,
    Just wondering if banned users still get badges? We went through a phase of a lot of trolls who would get banned a create new accounts straight away and then start trolling again.

Just imagine if one group of banned trolls all got their badges and became leaders on the same day :no_mouth:

I've just looked at a banned member who joined the old site in August 2012 and was banned in January 2015. They have 24 badges which they had probably received before their ban. They only have 2 of the Anniversary badges which is the 1st and 2nd but not the 3rd since they were banned before their anniversary came around. So we know that they don't earn the Anniversary badges after a ban. Okay I just went and tested this theory to see if banned members can earn the other badges that isn't the Anniversary badges and the results are that they can still earn badges for getting Awesome, Like or Insightful. So they can but it's only certain ones that they are able to get without being an active member on this site. Hope this makes sense... :)
    @lisasc360 I guess that after a user has been banned they are officially locked out of the site and therefore would not receive a new anniversary badge unless they ever got unbanned again
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member

Just about all forum platforms have a "leaderboard" type system in place. They are automatic functions of the forum host, I. E. Vanilla Forums so you get badges and points without the involvement of any EA moderators or staffers.

I am on a few other unrelated-to-gaming forums and a "Prolifically Positive Poster" (or similar) tally is part of them all.

It was not intended to be a popularity contest although it does become that more often than not.. The "reputation" system is simply meant to recognize those who post often, thoughtfully, and positively- and a lot of other members "like" someone's output.

In some forums high "reputation" unlocks certain perks and also I have seen where whoever is running a given forum might choose people to "promote" into moderators (if they want) based upon which section of a forum they frequent and how liked and respected their contributions are. But not always, I'm a moderator (graveyard shift) on one of the other sites I participate in but, like here, I do not post often. I got the "job" mostly because I can cover hours where most normal humans are asleep in my part of the globe.
    @Miki The thing is having a type of community moderator would not work on this forum. There is too many divides and too many players taking sides so if the moderation fell into the 'wrong' hands then it would only lead to more problems and certain players would try to latch onto certain mods for their own benefits. It would become a bit like some workplaces. Certain people of certain positions have authority and although they are not usually that popular, they get people trying to get along with them just for perks in the workplace. I have actually worked in places like that before and you would be surprised at how unpleasant some places can be when you have these systems in place.

Most people come to the forums to talk about The Sims and get away from workplace pecking orders. We do not want to see the forums become another social club.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited March 2017
    @Miki The thing is having a type of community moderator would not work on this forum. There is too many divides and too many players taking sides so if the moderation fell into the 'wrong' hands then it would only lead to more problems and certain players would try to latch onto certain mods for their own benefits. It would become a bit like some workplaces. Certain people of certain positions have authority and although they are not usually that popular, they get people trying to get along with them just for perks in the workplace. I have actually worked in places like that before and you would be surprised at how unpleasant some places can be when you have these systems in place.

Most people come to the forums to talk about The Sims and get away from workplace pecking orders. We do not want to see the forums become another social club.

Stop playing like you are above the fray.
    You are one of the ring leaders

Ring leaders of what? I hardly ever post away from the TS3 GD these days apart from some feedback threads. If you think that I am a problem then take a closer look on your side of the fence :cold_sweat:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg

Ring leaders of what? I hardly ever post away from the TS3 GD these days apart from some feedback threads. If you think that I am a problem then take a closer look on your side of the fence :cold_sweat:

See that's the thing...from where I sit... there is no fence.

See that's the thing...from where I sit... there is no fence.

So if there is no fence then why are you calling out people for being ring leaders?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited March 2017
    I don't know actually, I guess today i finally had enough of witnessing the hypocracy and keeping quiet about it.
    I don't know actually, I guess today i finally had enough of witnessing the hypocracy and keeping quiet about it.

I can imagine that you are tired of these constant debates but this thread is about a so called 'leader board battle' and not the forum battle, unless the leader board resembles the forums?

I don't know but it is only a forum, what gets said on here should never be taken personally
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg

I can imagine that you are tired of these constant debates but this thread is about a so called 'leader board battle' and not the forum battle, unless the leader board resembles the forums?

I don't know but it is only a forum, what gets said on here should never be taken personally

You brought it up.
    I just commented on it...sorry if my observation was a little too pointed for your liking.
  • MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited March 2017

I see what you're saying and indeed many come to forums to talk among those of similar interest be it Sims or anything else you might want to think of, certain types of cars, food, even television programs-- When I wrote about how these other sites' respective "leaderboards" can be used to supply site administrators, (not the forum platform site) with possible candidates for moderator roles, that was only to define one function of the leaderboard and point systems in general, how they are found among all the forums I have come across I didn't necessarily mean this site.

I should have simply condensed my post into "All forum systems I have seen anyway, have the point tracking and kudos-giving systems built in and automatically operated by the given platform's servers without any involvement by the client for whom the forum is being operated".

I apologize if it sounded like I was plugging for a community moderator system in here, although Guru Drake did mention that as something they were looking at on a very high level early last summer. Since nothing further was mentioned on the topic, I believe they may have arrived at the same conclusion, that a community moderator system won't work too well in here.