Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Leaderboard Battle

Has anyone else noticed the leaderboard? In the larger scheme of things it's not at all a big deal but I was just curious because it seems that individuals are actively searching out members and liking their posts to elevate them on the leaderboard. The leaderboard resets on Sunday night and there is no way in the normal course of postings that members could have that many points in one day. Who actually has the time to do that? And why? Is their some kind of award or reward for being on top? It would be interesting to see what the board actually looks like without any deliberate manipulations.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/activity

Comments

• LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    This is the second time I've seen a post about the leaderboard in recent weeks, I've never even seen it
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    To be fair, a lot of those posters on the leaderboard, I never have even seen post. However, there are only about three to four tabs that I do go into for reading/posting myself. I can see how some of top people get that many, Rose for example ... she is very helpful, never fights, never insults ... she helps out those who end up stuck.

Either way, its not really a competition. It doesn't affect anything, doesn't do anything. For those that are on it, good job. for those of us who are not ... good job.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    It doesn't matter at all and having it seems pointless really.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • amberquigleyamberquigley Posts: 122 Member
    Everyone likes a competion I guess? Other than that seems a bit pointless.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    How do you get the points?
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    edited February 2017
    Everyone likes a competion I guess? Other than that seems a bit pointless.

Well it is not that pointless if people are giving points! :bawling:

I wish the points could be useful for something else though. Maybe to use at the TS3 Store or maybe discount on Origin?
    Post edited by king_of_simcity7 on
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member

Everytime someone checks like, awesome, or insightful on a post that post/commenter gets a point. And that's why I said there's definitely some manipulations going on because shortly after the leaderboard resets you have people on the board with hundreds of points. I was just wondering who would take the time to systematically search out particular posters and advance them on the leaderboard. What's the point? No pun intended. :)

Everytime someone checks like, awesome, or insightful on a post that post/commenter gets a point. And that's why I said there's definitely some manipulations going on because shortly after the leaderboard resets you have people on the board with hundreds of points. I was just wondering who would take the time to systematically search out particular posters and advance them on the leaderboard. What's the point? No pun intended. :)

ETA: Just saw a comment on the forum that might explain why the leaderboard may be of interest to some. It determines the relevance and popularity of a particular version depending on which version's players are at the top of the leaderboard.

ETA: Just saw a comment on the forum that might explain why the leaderboard may be of interest to some. It determines the relevance and popularity of a particular version depending on which version's players are at the top of the leaderboard.

It was a thing a couple of years ago that all of the 'high scorers' where people who criticised The Sims 4 and usually the posts which appeal to the most players are going to get more likes.

A lot of this weeks members are actually players who post in the same threads as me but mostly in the TS3 GD and they very rarely if ever post outside of there. It is not unknown that the busiest thread on the forums in number of pages is the 'what happened in your game today?' and that thread does go through a lot of pages quite often. Sometimes we joke that it is easy to miss a page. I once missed two page while I was asleep for eight hours there would be another two pages lol Most of the thread is made up of a lot of pictures, a few stories going on as well as some modelling and some builds so those most active will get a lot of points.

I do know there was a phase in the past where some trolls where giving each other likes and then bragging about it and they pretty much gave themselves away as the so called 'lol trolls' which is why our lol button got removed. We lost our disagree button because that got abused as well. I do think that likes should be removed as yesterday someone was saying that 'people agree with them more because more people liked their comment more than people liked mine' I don't know if you are referencing that though. I did joke about having more likes than them in total but really the amount of likes don't really do much anyway except add a number to your profile. As I said I would much rather see likes get put to more use but if it is only going to be abused then I guess that would be 'pointless' as well :(
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    edited February 2017
    Has anyone else noticed the leaderboard? In the larger scheme of things it's not at all a big deal but I was just curious because it seems that individuals are actively searching out members and liking their posts to elevate them on the leaderboard. The leaderboard resets on Sunday night and there is no way in the normal course of postings that members could have that many points in one day. Who actually has the time to do that? And why? Is their some kind of award or reward for being on top? It would be interesting to see what the board actually looks like without any deliberate manipulations.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/activity

I can pretty much tell you that's not the case in the bolded part as I have see people who had joined the old TS3 site years ago who had just now come to visit this website for the very 1st time. Some of these "New" visitors have a joined date from 2009. So if you go and add up the points from the Anniversary badges as they give out 5 points for each year that you have been a member of this forum. So take for the fact that TS3 is going on 8 years now, that would give the "New" old member 40 points. So that 40 points is what puts that user on the top of the leaderboard list without them ever making comments on this site and getting points from people hitting Like, Awesome or Insightful.

Okay, so given the fact that someone "New" from the old TS3 site comes here that not only have racked up several of the Anniversary badges, but also may had made several comments on the old site which then in turn adds to the Anniversary badge points. Plus they may had already done what is required to obtain the Misc. badges such as the "Name Dropper" badge, the "Combo Breaker" badge or the "Photogenic" badge. All of those points from those badges gets added to the Anniversary/Comments badges.

So I guess what I'm saying it that, No, no one is just going around and hitting Insightful, Like or Awesome on someone's comments right after the leaderboard resets on Sunday evening because some of the names that do pop up on the leaderboard are members that really no one has ever heard a word from. But those members who are up in the top spots just because their badge points add up to an amount of points that puts them in the top 1-3/4 spots don't last too long since most of the time, they don't make comments and then they get knocked down by members such as Rosemow, Luthienrising and despina51 because they are always helping New Members or the older ones with issues that they may be having with their game. On top of Rose helping in that department, she is also commenting in the "New Member/Member" thread as well as the "Come and Introduce yourself" thread as well as posting her welcome greeting on New Members walls.

Then you have King_of_SimCity7, CravenLestat, Charlottesmom, Lanlyn that makes the leaderboard just about every week for all of the awesome posts/threads that they make. I myself have been on the leaderboard a couple of times in the past as well as being in the #1 spot. That too was short lived because my points that had put me up there was due to 2 new badges that I just received as well as points from the likes, etc that I was getting. I was probably up there for a day and a half until SimGuruDrake had passed me in points because she was getting more likes, awesomes and insightfuls than I was. Heck, I'm back on the leaderboard this week (rare occasion for me) even though I am in the 10th spot but I have been posting a lot of posts in the "What Happened in your game today?" thread over in the TS3 GD section.

This are the badges and the points that the "New Members" from the old TS3 site (2009-2014 before this site was up) would end up getting without having to get points for Insightful, Like or Awesome.

Badge points for "Comments"
    1st Comment = 2 points
    10 Comments = 5 points
    100 Comments = 10 points
    500 Comments = 15 points
    1000 Comments = 20 points
    2500 Comments = 20 points
    5000 Comments = 20 points
    10000 Comments = 20 points
    25000 Comments = 20 points
    50000 Comments = 20 points

Badges for The Sims Anniversary
    1st Year = 5 points
    2nd Year = 5 points
    3rd Year = 5 points
    4th Year = 5 points
    5th Year = 5 points
    6th Year = 5 points
    7th Year = 5 points
    8th Year = 5 points
    9th Year = 5 points
    10th Year = 5 points
    Ancient Membership = 5 points

The Miscellaneous Badges
    Combo Breaker = 5 points
    Name Dropper = 5 points
    Photogenic = 10 points

I myself am also on the wall about points and the leaderboard. Granted that the points really don't do much other than secure "New members" on becoming full members as well as letting other members know who posts the most to get a high score. In the beginning before the EA moderators had this "New Member" points system in place, yes I did refer to the points as a popularity contest and I guess it still is in a way. But in a way, it's a good thing as "New Members" can also see who they can turn to if they ever need any help with their game.
    Post edited by lisasc360 on
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I don't know if there's any manipulation going on, but keep in mind the top people are generally people who have thousands and thousands of posts. Often they'll have long-lasting threads that are popular and get them a trickle of likes/awesomes/etc. and they are participating regularly as well. I think it seems hard to believe because most of the community is essentially invisible; they play, but don't engage much outside of it. But there are those who play and their only engagement is to observe and throw in the odd button click here and there. I would imagine there are a lot more of those than there are those who regularly post.

I'll put it this way: Imagine you're an average simmer doing a search about something to do with the sims. What are the odds you come across a post for one of these people who have thousands and thousands of posts? Definitely higher than the ones who only have a k or two. And if most of those posts are helpful, guiding posts, that means a good chance it's going to be a post that the person wants to react to in a positive manner. But maybe they see the thread is outdated and they don't want to be the person who necros an old thread, so they drop a like, insightful, or awesome and move on.

Now imagine thousands of simmers doing that on a regular basis.

There is also the "fan factor." People who are more inclined to like a particular person's posts because they like what they say and do in general.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
    @lisasc360 I never knew that you got more points for badges? I guess that is to help new members out? I haven't had a new badge since my anniversary and I have no idea when I will next get another one or if they simply stop after a certain amount of points.

Not everyone knows everyone who makes the leader board it depends on who posts in what area. Most of this weeks leaders are TS3 players in the thread in the TS3 GD which as I said, is very active so those who post in it often will get a few points. Picture sharing is popular and players do give likes or awesomes if something looks good. Replying to others is a good move as well. I always try to reply to anyone who posts as it keeps the thread active and it is nicer having people actually talk about other players content in a positive way. Some Simmers now actually know the names of other players Sims almost as much as we know some of the premades lol

A while back it was usually the 'critics' who got a lot of points because they usually said what a lot of players where thinking. Not everyone agreed with them of course but a lot of players did which explains why some players always made the top spot. I once was top for a week but I cannot remember what I did to make it that high. Some of the trolls I was having problems with hated it though and sadly some trolls have come to player's walls to harass them over how many points they had. It is a shame really as of all the things people fall out over on here some people complained about a point system?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @Triplis It would actually be interesting to know how many players are online at certain times of the day. Not in a nosey way but at some times of the day it is dead on the forums. No one is posting in the threads I follow and there is nothing new being posted anywhere but by what is the evening for me things get busier. I do think there are a lot of 'mid day' lurkers though, players who like me come in during a quiet time and just lurk at a few threads, maybe reply to a PM if they have one but don't post much. Interestingly I have seen the forums explode during these days. During the pre toddler era if there was a new 'hint' found during a quiet time of the day, you would get players come out of nowhere to post in it and by evening, that thread would have hit a few pages unless it went sour and was already closed so I do think there are a lot of members signing in but not no everyone posts. I am like that on a few other forums as well. On a non Sims related forum I go on I don't post everyday, it is a lot quieter than years ago but it does get busy moments and sometimes I get stuck in a few threads.

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I don't know why we have it. I don't think people are boosting anybody. I see popular posters from certain sections that share a popular view with others depending on where they post.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    Leaderboard Monday morning around 6:30 AM

LB%20731%20PM_zpsbjivuzxe.png

Leaderboard Monday morning around 8:30 AM, 2 hours later.

Leaderboard_zpszayo46pj.png

@king_of_simcity7,
    @lisasc360 I never knew that you got more points for badges? I guess that is to help new members out? I haven't had a new badge since my anniversary and I have no idea when I will next get another one or if they simply stop after a certain amount of points.
    I can't remember if the badges was something that was already here in place when this site was created or if they were put in place when EA decided to do the New Member system in October of 2014 after we had a rash of unsavory type of people who just wanted to post illegal images either as their avatar or in posts. But yeah, we get points for badges but then they pretty much stop when you reach to the highest badge that you can earn such as when you reach 500 Likes, then there isn't anymore badges to earn afterwards in that category unless if EA ever decides to add more to that category. So when you have someone that has reached the max levels of the badges such as the Comments, Like, Awesome and Insightful and can't earn anymore, then the only other badges that they will receive now will be the Anniversary badges and that will be once a year around the month that they signed up to either the old site or here..

I just noticed that when I was over on the page that they now have badges for Answers and one other one called 5+1's that gives out 5 points but no one has that one yet as that badge hasn't been enabled yet and neither has the Answers one even though SimGuruDrake is the only one that has earned that badge. SGDrake was working on that badge last year but know why she hasn't enabled it yet or if she ever will.
    First Answer

Answering questions is a great way to show your support for a community!

1 person has earned this badge

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/badges

Badge points for "lol"
    5 lol = 5 points
    25 lol = 5 points
    100 lol = 10 points
    250 lol = 25 points
    500 lol = 50 points

Note about the lol points
    Unlike "likes' that give 1 point for every like you receive, lol's will only gather points in the form of badges as shown above :)

Badge points for "Like"
    5 Likes = 5 points
    25 Likes = 5 points
    100 Likes = 10 points
    250 Likes = 25 points
    500 Likes = 50 points

Awesome
    5 = 5 points
    25 = 5 points
    100 = 10 points
    250 = 25 points
    500 = 50 points

Not everyone knows everyone who makes the leader board it depends on who posts in what area. Most of this weeks leaders are TS3 players in the thread in the TS3 GD which as I said, is very active so those who post in it often will get a few points. Picture sharing is popular and players do give likes or awesomes if something looks good. Replying to others is a good move as well. I always try to reply to anyone who posts as it keeps the thread active and it is nicer having people actually talk about other players content in a positive way. Some Simmers now actually know the names of other players Sims almost as much as we know some of the premades lol
    This is so true as I have seen names on that list that I have never even heard of. When I see someone on there that I've never seen a post from, I go and check out their page only to find out that they do most if not all of their posting over in the TS4 sections which would then explain why I don't know them.

We have on this weeks leaderboard so far that do post over in the thread in the TS3 GD section that you've mention and most of them are pretty much on there week after week because of all of the awesome posts that they make and not just in that thread but in other threads that they either create themselves or in someone else's thread... :smiley: : king_of_simcity7, Mikezumi, CravenLestat, lanlyn, Charlottesmom. So I think we have some from pretty much all over the forum that shows up week after week.

I agree about the picture sharing threads and posts as it would seem like to me that the poster gets more Likes or Awesomes for their photos. Of course I have seen some people getting a lot of Likes/Awesomes for just their opinion posts but I still think the picture sharing posts generate more Likes and Awesome in my opinion... :)

@Triplis,
    I'll put it this way: Imagine you're an average simmer doing a search about something to do with the sims. What are the odds you come across a post for one of these people who have thousands and thousands of posts? Definitely higher than the ones who only have a k or two. And if most of those posts are helpful, guiding posts, that means a good chance it's going to be a post that the person wants to react to in a positive manner. But maybe they see the thread is outdated and they don't want to be the person who necros an old thread, so they drop a like, insightful, or awesome and move on.
    So true. If I was a New member and needed help, I think that I would want to get it from someone who has the higher posts/points count as that to me would mean that they are very acknowledge and would be of more help to me than someone who's post count is very low. And no I'm not trying to say that someone who has a very low post/point count doesn't know anything about the game and how to fix whatever issue that I may have or anyone else may have because for 1) I don't know how long that player has been playing the Sims and 2) if the player is someone that has already been on the older forums using a different name but chose to change it up when coming to this new site. So yeah, I think that I would be more inclined to ask for help from someone that has the higher count unless if the New Member states that they were a long time member of the old TS2 or TS3 forums and just decided that I was time to change their user name for whatever reason.

Oh yeah, you would be surprised at how many of the older threads that get a Like, Insightful or Awesome that was from years ago and some of them are from the older site. I've seen posts of my getting a Like/Awesome/Insightful that was from3-4 years ago on a thread that hasn't had any activity whatsoever in ages. Sometimes someone may make a comment in that older thread just to thank the people who have been very :)
    @lisasc360 Well it is good to see some familiar faces on the leader board again. I was in the post a few times and sharing some likes and awesomes as well and I guess that a few have given me some likes. I also have had some good responses with my 'Thank you' thread in the TS3 GD as well and it is nice to see a lot of TS3 players giving their appreciation :smile:

Sadly I do remember the certain profile pictures from the early days and the reasons why the moderation had to be changed for new members. It is a shame to see new members leave comments on the activity area wondering why they cannot post when they might have an urgent question to ask. As usual thanks to the small few everyone else has to suffer :(

One good thing is that we don't have much trolling now these days apart from the occasional spam bot that gets through
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @lisasc360 Well it is good to see some familiar faces on the leader board again. I was in the post a few times and sharing some likes and awesomes as well and I guess that a few have given me some likes. I also have had some good responses with my 'Thank you' thread in the TS3 GD as well and it is nice to see a lot of TS3 players giving their appreciation :smile:

Sadly I do remember the certain profile pictures from the early days and the reasons why the moderation had to be changed for new members. It is a shame to see new members leave comments on the activity area wondering why they cannot post when they might have an urgent question to ask. As usual thanks to the small few everyone else has to suffer :(

One good thing is that we don't have much trolling now these days apart from the occasional spam bot that gets through

Exactly... :) At least this system that's in place roots out the would be trolls or at least we hope it does even though we do have 1 or 2 that just want to make posts that insult others but those are short lived as they get what they have coming to them. In one way, it's a good system as it gets people to open up more and talk about the Sims but then we have the ones that are too shy or socially awkward that can't or don't want to make the posts that they need to become a full member and the just decide that this site isn't worth it of they have to jump through hoops to obtain membership.

lisasc360 wrote: »

Exactly... :) At least this system that's in place roots out the would be trolls or at least we hope it does even though we do have 1 or 2 that just want to make posts that insult others but those are short lived as they get what they have coming to them. In one way, it's a good system as it gets people to open up more and talk about the Sims but then we have the ones that are too shy or socially awkward that can't or don't want to make the posts that they need to become a full member and the just decide that this site isn't worth it of they have to jump through hoops to obtain membership.

The forums are better without trolls :smiley: I know there is the 'divide' but at least people keep it Sims related :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I remember a while back someone posting about the leader board. I never knew what it was or meant back then. I don't, to this day, understand why they even have that up.

Although, I think it would be fun to see them remove the names and replace them with all the Guru's names. Now that would be fun to see how they would be! Would they be more active here in the forums, racing to post more than the other? Seeing who would be at the top?
    (I wouldn't recommend this, as we need them Guru's working on the game instead) but it could give us a clue as to why they even have this thing called "Leader Board" :D
    I remember a while back someone posting about the leader board. I never knew what it was or meant back then. I don't, to this day, understand why they even have that up.

Although, I think it would be fun to see them remove the names and replace them with all the Guru's names. Now that would be fun to see how they would be! Would they be more active here in the forums, racing to post more than the other? Seeing who would be at the top?
    (I wouldn't recommend this, as we need them Guru's working on the game instead) but it could give us a clue as to why they even have this thing called "Leader Board" :D

I think I have seen one or two Gurus on it before. I saw Drake on the top once even though she had been attacked that week :(

The thing is leader boards are more associated with competitive games. The Sims is not a competitive game so there is no need for a leader board, even though the forums do feel competitive at times :open_mouth:

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member

I think I have seen one or two Gurus on it before. I saw Drake on the top once even though she had been attacked that week :(

The thing is leader boards are more associated with competitive games. The Sims is not a competitive game so there is no need for a leader board, even though the forums do feel competitive at times :open_mouth:

Oh, they do make it on the Leader boards at times :o Good for them! No one should attack them but I have seen that also!

I couldn't help but crack up when you said the forums do feel competitive at times.......oh so true :D
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Someone's gone and liked posts of mine from a dead topic from over a year ago - and yep, there I am at the bottom of the leaderboard now even though I've been mostly offline the day and a half (I was sick yesterday, and mostly asleep). It's silly and childish and I'd like it gone. I feel like much of my standing on those boards is being manipulated by someone, and I don't like it. It certainly means I don't feel I can trust that anyone else on those boards is posting legitimately popular things either. It could all be manipulation from what I can tell.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    @luthienrising I may be guilty of liking an older post because I did a search for reinstalling and saved files and one of your helpful comments came up. Not sure if it's the same one you're referring to though.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @luthienrising I may be guilty of liking an older post because I did a search for reinstalling and saved files and one of your helpful comments came up. Not sure if it's the same one you're referring to though.

No, this round was about knitting. And not even knitting in Sims :/ (If the person was excited about finding knitting Simmers, you'd think they'd have posted to the thread, right? But nope.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.