Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can microwave ovens close down Sims4?

Only ask this as I moved my laptop to another room about 10 feet away from the kitchen area, started defrosting something and found Sims4 closed down as not working on my return and lost a house I was building. The oven was not directly inbetween the router and the laptop.

I've never had the game itself stop working in the past because of the microwave - only losing the internet connection . Is it due to Origin in Game?

Looks like I am having to go back to my long ethernet lead.

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello
    I don't think that microwaves should cause the sims 4 to close down. Try testing again, by having your laptop near the microwave and see if the issue occurs again.
  • Options
    WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    Never heard of something like that before, ive had my laptop almost right next to the microwave and my game didn't act weird or differently. Maybe your laptop isn't cutting the game. Maybe it got overheated or so.

Try to see if your game crashes near the micro and other places in your home. You could post your system requirements if they aren't cutting for sims now.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited February 2017
    My microwave does affect my wifi connection but am now wondering if something else turns the game off if not played with for a time. I am going to use the ethernet to see if the same thing happens in the same situation.

Thanks both.

• Options
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Are you sure it's not just your computer?
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Still think it is the microwave that was/is the problem. It always affects my wifi. When EA had turned on all it's feedback Options again after Vampires or the latest Patch the connection was left hanging and didn't recover on getting wifi back.. I hadn't noticed their resetting this.

I hate EA eavesdropping so turned off everything leaving only My Library available, saved settings and then just applied the Gallery connection. The online Gallery Gallery loads much faster and there are no whirling green circles.
  • Options
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    Still think it is the microwave that was/is the problem. It always affects my wifi. When EA had turned on all it's feedback Options again after Vampires or the latest Patch the connection was left hanging and didn't recover on getting wifi back.. I hadn't noticed their resetting this.

I hate EA eavesdropping so turned off everything leaving only My Library available, saved settings and then just applied the Gallery connection. The online Gallery Gallery loads much faster and there are no whirling green circles.

Hello
    It is good that you are finding that your online Gallery is loading faster.

I am sorry that your microwave is affecting your wifi :(
  • Options
    Thanks Rosemow. I just hope that the microwave isn't affecting me too! I'm getting a newer one.
  • Options
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    No, a microwave cannot stop a single program from working on your computer. That's either a problem with Origin, some CC/mods that you have, or your laptop just isn't happy with the game.

A microwave CAN interfere with standard 2.4GHz Wifi, though. Microwaves operate a very close frequency to that, and if the shielding on the microwave is damaged, the radiation from the microwave can flood out the wifi. Note that while I say it can happen, it should not happen. A fully shielded, properly functioning microwave should be completely self-contained.

From experience, our router is 6-7 feet across from our microwave and it never has any problems. Our previous router in the same location was a rather unstable. I have a friend who's microwave completely shuts off their wifi. I think it just depends on the quality of the hardware and how it was built.

Note that WiFi is slowly making the move from 2.4GHz up to 5GHz. If your router can broadcast 5GHz and your computers can receive it, 5GHz is far enough away from the range of microwaves that it will not be affected. :)
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    I don't know why, but I find it pretty funny that a microwave can affect the wifi! xD

At least my laptop can take 5GHz so I don't have to worry about the evil gosh darn microwave! xD
  • Options
    Nearia35 wrote: »
    No, a microwave cannot stop a single program from working on your computer. That's either a problem with Origin, some CC/mods that you have, or your laptop just isn't happy with the game.

A microwave CAN interfere with standard 2.4GHz Wifi, though. Microwaves operate a very close frequency to that, and if the shielding on the microwave is damaged, the radiation from the microwave can flood out the wifi. Note that while I say it can happen, it should not happen. A fully shielded, properly functioning microwave should be completely self-contained.

From experience, our router is 6-7 feet across from our microwave and it never has any problems. Our previous router in the same location was a rather unstable. I have a friend who's microwave completely shuts off their wifi. I think it just depends on the quality of the hardware and how it was built.

Note that WiFi is slowly making the move from 2.4GHz up to 5GHz. If your router can broadcast 5GHz and your computers can receive it, 5GHz is far enough away from the range of microwaves that it will not be affected. :)

Thank you @Nearia35 Actually I'm very glad I asked this question as on checking with my ISP Virginmedia I found that I could upgrade to a new 5G router for only a little extra expense each month. A bit worried about the microwave so I am going to do a bit of checking up on shielding before I get the new one.

• Options
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    Nearia35 wrote: »

Thank you @Nearia35 Actually I'm very glad I asked this question as on checking with my ISP Virginmedia I found that I could upgrade to a new 5G router for only a little extra expense each month. A bit worried about the microwave so I am going to do a bit of checking up on shielding before I get the new one.

It is great that you will be able to upgrade to a new 5g router :) It will help you with your internet service.
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Keep in mind 5Ghz has a shorter range so your signal may not be strong compared to 2.4Ghz.
    The biggest culprits that interfere with signals are cordless phones/microwaves. Having you're router in a central location within the home is a must for good signals.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide