Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Curious: who are your favourite movie directors?

SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
edited February 2017 in Off Topic Chat
Since I'm too tired to work, my class fortunately got cancelled & I've had the pleasure to finally see a movie by a director I adore (yes, Denis lol), I was wondering what movie directors you guys like & why? I love discovering new movies and tv shows, so I thought this would be a great opportunity to let myself be inspired by your suggestions (hoping to discover someone new :D)!

I think mine are Denis Villeneuve, Neill Blomkamp (even though his movies make me really angry lol), Quentin Tarantino, Christopher Nolan, Stanley Kubrick & yes, J.J. Abrams (not just because of Star Wars, but also because of 10 Cloverfield Lane) ^^

Sooooooooooo guys, which directors do you love, why & which of their movies would you recommend the most?

ETA: oooww I forgot to mention James Wan! I don't watch horror all the time, but I honestly think his are among the better ones in recent years! :)

Comments

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Anyone? Because I actually need something to watch tonight & I'm out of ideas atm :'(
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Interesting question!

Off the top of my head:

George Miller
    Famous for writing and directing the Mad Max movies, also directed Babe: Pig in the City, and the Happy Feet movies.
    What's not to like? Mad Max, AND silly kids films!

Guy Ritchie
    Famous for writing and directing Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Statch, The Man From U.N.C.L.E, and directing Sherlock Holmes and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. I'm looking forward to his take on King Arthur.
    His movies are fast paced, funny, and contain action and violence, often with the violence being somewhat comical. Crime is a common theme in his movies, and they also contain many interwoven plots.

Taika Waititi
    Famous for writing and directing What We Do in the Shadows, and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.
    Kiwi comedy genius. He also acts in everything he directs. Can't wait to see the new Thor movie!

And you've already mentioned Tarantino

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    I should probably watch the Mad Max movies one day :D I admit I never have. I've seen a few of Ritchie's things, loved Snatch & the Sherlock movies were fun too. Let's hope you won't be disappointed by King Arthur!

@Taika Waititi: I actually don't think I've seen any of this stuff. Is Doctor Strange good actually? Heard a bit about it here & there but haven't yet properly researched it myself (but it's mentioned every now and then in reviews I've seen about other movies, that much I know :D)
  • KendranaKendrana Posts: 4,049 Member
    edited February 2017
    Peter Jackson - The Lord of the Rings (trilogy) and The Hobbit (trilogy)

George Lucas - Star Wars
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    Robert Zemeckis : Back to the future and Contact <3
    Luc Besson : Leon the professional, The fifth element, Taxi, and others...
    Plenty of others but I'm spontaneously thinking about these two when I'm thinking about some of my favorite movies above.
    @Candyd oooh true Luc Besson did make a lot of nice movies. I love The 5th Element! When I saw it the first time, I must've watched it at least 2 more times that week haha. Still always entertaining. Bzzzzzzzzzzzz

And the Lord of the Rings trilogy is indeed also awesome @KendraRiley17, although I must admit I found The Hobbit to be rather disappointing myself. Maybe one day I'll give it another try but it really didn't captivate me as much as LOTR.