Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cpu doesn't meet requirements

What would happen if I play a game on my desktop and my CPU doesn't meet the minimum requirements. Would that damage the CPU?

Comments

• Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    edited February 2017
    It could. It's going to have to run a lot harder to try to maintain the game, and that's when you open yourself up to potential heating issues. The minimum processor requirement is extremely low (much lower than is actually practical if you want to enjoy playing), and if you don't meet that, the rest of your computer probably isn't up to par, either. :(
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Saunta2Saunta2 Posts: 870 Member
    edited February 2017
    Sigh, I really want to play Planet Coaster. My GPU meets recommended and my Ram meets the minimum, but my CPU just isn't cutting it. It's the only thing in the PC that hasn't been changed since it was built a few years ago.
    Post edited by Saunta2 on
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Planet Coaster's minimum/recommended specs are well above Sims 4's, and I've seen comments that the game is meh on behaviour at those published recommended specs.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Planet Coaster's minimum/recommended specs are well above Sims 4's, and I've seen comments that the game is meh on behaviour at those published recommended specs.

What do you mean by meh on behavior?

Sometimes I need a break from Sims and I've been looking for something new to play.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited February 2017
    Saunta2 wrote: »

Sometimes I need a break from Sims and I've been looking for something new to play.

I haven't seen details about what kind of mediocre performance they're getting at recommended specs, just that it's mediocre. Planet Coaster seems, from reports, in reality to be up there in the Big Leagues for hardware demand. That's anecdotal, though. You might end up finding the recommended specs good enough.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

Ask @chesterbigbird. She plays the game and has a top of the line PC. A new i7 skylake and an Nvidia 1080 card. She told me the game is very powerful and is optimized very poorly. If you have lower specs the game may give you more trouble but ask chester. What CPU do you have?
    I have an AMD Athlon II X4 640 processor
    ok wait for chester to get back on the forum and she can fill you in on all the issues plant coaster might have. They may move your subject to off topic since its not the sims so you may need to look for your thread there.

How is your CPU running the sims 4? This game is CPU heavy
    The game actually plays without any issues however when I check my frame rates I don't get the 60fps that is supposed to be normal. It fluctuates in the 20's and 30's
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    What are the rest of your specs? It will not harm the cpu unless it gets too hot.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

I have 8GB Ram and a Gtx 1050 SSC? Anything else you need?

As long as your cpu is not getting hot then your ok to play, But the game is VERY cpu intensive and relies more on the cpu then the graphics card.
    So your performance will not be good especially when adding more things into your park.
    With a GTX 1050 is would really consider and motherboard and cpu upgrade in the future. ;)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

Yeah, I was already looking to upgrade in the future, it's just that stuff is so expensive here and to import as well
    Yeah, I was already looking to upgrade in the future, it's just that stuff is so expensive here and to import as well

It probably has a lot to do with shipping costs and how much is being imported in your area. I know your not in China but this is just an example. Someone in China can mail me a shirt for $10 or less but if I ship it back to China it costs me $40-50 just for a small package. The USA charges much higher for shipping than some other places. Also where you live they may not be ordering computer hardware in larger quantities and are able to charge more for the hardware because they are being charged more if they are not buying in bulk.
    I live in Australia and we too have expensive tech products, However part of the issue is with our $$ not because of lack of products or shipping.
    I feel your pain on prices though :(
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

Must I change my motherboard as well? I already had it replaced since the initial building of the PC and I also bought new Ram not too long ago. To change the motherboard as well, I would be looking upwards to $600/700 and up
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Depends on the CPU design if you will need to change your MB, Check how far you can upgrade with the proper CPU first before replacing your MB. However you may be able to delay upgrading your MB but it is only for a certain time, as time moves on the CPUs designed for that MB and also the MB itself may not support the tech that is available with todays tech. It usually does not happen right away, it happens gradually.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited February 2017
    Must I change my motherboard as well? I already had it replaced since the initial building of the PC and I also bought new Ram not too long ago. To change the motherboard as well, I would be looking upwards to $600/700 and up

What motherboard do you have?
    If i know the motherboard i can tell you what cpu you can get to be compatible with it.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

Asrock 970 Extreme4
    Asrock 970 Extreme4

OK good news, you can upgrade to a better cpu however you may need to do a bios update first and i wouldn't advice overclocking on that motherboard
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113285
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284
    I would also highly recommend a aftermarket cpu cooler, depending on what case you have and the space you have to work with :
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2DZ6565
    What case do you have? or what brand and model is the pc?

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

Oh wow that's a very old case!
    OK personally i would just get another case because there is no way i would be putting a AMD fx 8 core cpu in that case with no intake fans, and i do not think you will have much space in there for a cpu cooler because of the funky cpu duct that case has (never even seen one myself LOL.)
    Where would you be buying hardware from? i can see if you can get a cheap case and cheap cooler (cases are not expensive.)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

bajanbestbuy.com is the store I use
    Oh ok not much to pick from.
    The cheapest worth getting is this case
    http://www.bajanbestbuy.com/product/cases/cases/fractal-design-define-s-no-power-supply-atx-mid-tower-black
    Come with front and rear fans.
    And cpu cooler
    http://www.bajanbestbuy.com/product/cpus/cpus/cooler-master-hyper-t2-rrht228pkr1-cpu-fan-for-intel-lga-115011561155775-amd-socket
    Unfortunately basically nothing to choose from.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

As long as your cpu is not getting hot then your ok to play, But the game is VERY cpu intensive and relies more on the cpu then the graphics card.
    So your performance will not be good especially when adding more things into your park.
    With a GTX 1050 is would really consider and motherboard and cpu upgrade in the future. ;)

Yeah this, the parks get very heavy the more you add to them. I've got moments where it uses up nearly 90 % of my CPU and it's noticeable. But I can run it quite well most of the time, even though I too should change my CPU to a newer model.