Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Rule For My Restaurant: NO ELDERS!!! (Update: They aren't allowed in my vet clinic either now)

2...Next

Comments

• HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    Cement wrote: »
    I worry about this happening whenever I play my restaurant. I've been struggling at 4 1/2 stars for so long :joy: If this ever happened, I'd probably cry myself LOL.
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    dirtyD wrote: »
    I really dislike elders lol ... they just drop dead everywhere.
    I only like them when I play legacies, but that will never happen in this game till they fix the game's family tree.

Whats wrong with the family tree? I stopped playing for a while & recently started back up with the release of toddlers and am currently playing my first legacy family. I know at launch there wasn't a family tree, but it was later patched in. Was it patched with problems?

Unless they fixed it, the trees has issues like ... well culling and that the game doesn't recognize any other family members besides grandparents, siblings, parents, children.

If I'm wrong please somebody correct me , but I think this game has a hard time recognizing cousins, great grandparents, step family members and in laws and well you get the point.

The game does recognize some of those roles, actually! :smiley: I'll put it in a spoiler since it's a little lengthy with pictures. :)
    The family tree recognizes great-grandparents (anyone after that is a "descendant")
    78726b2e084136ace84095c1af70eb6a.png
    3a545b3dc490a952210845ca5ba9ba61.png
    Half-siblings are shown:
    ef55e17abd6c5c83c3bfef9800958796.png
    As do step-children and step-siblings:
    c01bda74b9015cfba4a321b3ced5e5cf.png
    9ebbba76a50baec1a00fce1b916f65db.png
    (Yeah, this family is whack, I swear I didn't do this. MCC is a wild thing, LOL)
    But step-parents only show up under the circumstance when the other spouse is listed.
    c87993008e8f480d38264aa9762cd87e.png

In game, however, those relations don't show up in the panel, and half-siblings are listed as full siblings.

I like to think that the family tree doesn't show in-laws probably to conserve and prevent cluttering/overlapping of the tree in case of weirder relationships... But it doesn't recognize them in game when you hover over them when they are spoken to, which I find unfortunate.
    Cousins would be listed if it showed an aunt/uncle's family as well, but it doesn't, so... :( They do show up when you're talking to them and under relationships like this, however, so they exist (and the game does prevent autonomous romantic options for them as well.)
    aff97906ff4836d2eccc719d31dc9852.png

The cousins they do not show are those past first degree (which also includes the 'once removed' parts, so first cousins once removed are also not listed as cousins) within the tree and in general when spoken to.

I too also wish family trees had more depth. :( For now, there's always other sources like ThePlumTree and FamilyEcho to keep track of my beloved family trees. :sob:

I have four generations in one family and I can't find my first generation's urns since they apparently didn't die at home.
    This is from the Plum Tree site. Dylan, married to the redhead in second generation, is now almost at Death's door himself. :'( His parents and in-laws are dead.
    https://app.theplumtreeapp.com/public.html#589b8803ee7e0115a828421b
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    I worry about this happening whenever I play my restaurant. I've been struggling at 4 1/2 stars for so long :joy: If this ever happened, I'd probably cry myself LOL.
    I only like them when I play legacies, but that will never happen in this game till they fix the game's family tree.

Whats wrong with the family tree? I stopped playing for a while & recently started back up with the release of toddlers and am currently playing my first legacy family. I know at launch there wasn't a family tree, but it was later patched in. Was it patched with problems?

Unless they fixed it, the trees has issues like ... well culling and that the game doesn't recognize any other family members besides grandparents, siblings, parents, children.

If I'm wrong please somebody correct me , but I think this game has a hard time recognizing cousins, great grandparents, step family members and in laws and well you get the point.

The game does recognize some of those roles, actually! :smiley: I'll put it in a spoiler since it's a little lengthy with pictures. :)
    The family tree recognizes great-grandparents (anyone after that is a "descendant")
    Half-siblings are shown:
    (Yeah, this family is whack, I swear I didn't do this. MCC is a wild thing, LOL)
    But step-parents only show up under the circumstance when the other spouse is listed.

In game, however, those relations don't show up in the panel, and half-siblings are listed as full siblings.

I like to think that the family tree doesn't show in-laws probably to conserve and prevent cluttering/overlapping of the tree in case of weirder relationships... But it doesn't recognize them in game when you hover over them when they are spoken to, which I find unfortunate.
    Cousins would be listed if it showed an aunt/uncle's family as well, but it doesn't, so... :( They do show up when you're talking to them and under relationships like this, however, so they exist (and the game does prevent autonomous romantic options for them as well.)

The cousins they do not show are those past first degree (which also includes the 'once removed' parts, so first cousins once removed are also not listed as cousins) within the tree and in general when spoken to.

I too also wish family trees had more depth. :( For now, there's always other sources like ThePlumTree and FamilyEcho to keep track of my beloved family trees. :sob:

Thank you for the pictures!!! I had no idea, did the culling stop though?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    HillyBeth wrote: »
    I have four generations in one family and I can't find my first generation's urns since they apparently didn't die at home.
    This is from the Plum Tree site. Dylan, married to the redhead in second generation, is now almost at Death's door himself. :'( His parents and in-laws are dead.
    https://app.theplumtreeapp.com/public.html#589b8803ee7e0115a828421b

Urns are only spawned when you are present at the death. Otherwise, you cannot get the urn. It's unfortunate :( Ghosts will exist until you hit the point of culling, though.
    Thank you for the pictures!!! I had no idea, did the culling stop though?
    You are very welcome!
    The culling did not stop, and I use MCC to prevent it. My population is about 700 or so, with about 200ish being ghosts. :( I hope they'll fix trees so I don't have to have them linger for so long.
  • zuzumax2zuzumax2 Posts: 78 Member
    zuzumax2 wrote: »
    I've had like 5 nanny's die in front of my kids

Im sorry but lol :D

It was annoying at first then it became a funny game of guessing when they will die lol
    7wjjB5a.gif
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    @FriedCawfee Don't want to keep your Sims too happy now, do we? ;)
  • TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    Marnetti wrote: »
    I'm sorry if this sound ageist, but I delete all old townies because of this very reason. I went to a lounge (me completely forgetting that it attracts old people) and 7 sims died. One after the other. I figured it'd be fun to hang out there but it was a terrible idea. Everyone was miserable. Sims shouldn't be "very sad" from "lost of a loved one" they didn't even know!

That sounds amazing!!! lol!

Also unrelated to quote but I love the fact that people are just dropping dead and causing disruptions, it's pretty hilarious, mildly annoying but funny.

No more old people are allowed to work at my restaurant though :| soon as they hit elderhood they are fired and I'm replacing with new staff.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
    Just pouncing on over with a quick update to this story. So the Pets expansion came out and I love it to bits. I started a new family for this one and my sim now has 7 pets and everything was a bit much so I had her quit her job and become a stay at home artist (because as it turns out selling art is more profitable than being an internet celebrity?).

Anyways so with level 10 painting skill and a bunch of perk traits that make her art better quality and more expensive when it's done I've managed to get her to make between $3000 - $10,000 a day (maybe more if I get lucky with masterpieces), so I decided, hey, you know what's a good idea? I'll build a vet clinic and make even more money!

Well after saving up enough simoleons I built the clinic. It's so far incomplete but the important thing is I can still serve customers at it so even though it's still not finished yet I've so far run two business days there.

Well

On the second business day I had it open, this Elder Sim comes in with his dog. The clinics only got my sim and one staff member running it and business is picking up because I purchased an advertisement package for the clinic. So as you can imagine it's getting a little busy and a little crowded when this guy decides "you know what? Todays a good day to die and right now is the perfect time!" and he just straight up dies in the exam room while my sim is seeing to his dog.

So in come a bunch of strangers to witness the spectacle that is this sims death even though I'm pretty sure nobody knows or is related to this guy and if this were real life, none of them would have seen or known he had died because he was behind several walls. My only other staff member comes on out to have a cry about it too even though he was on the opposite side of the clinic seeing to another patient in his own exam room!

Meanwhile my sim is just continuing to examine her patient.

My fiance had come into the lounge room to sit next to me at this point (my PC is plugged into my TV) and he sees this whole thing go down, but the best thing about all of this is my reaction. Because after a bit of swearing about it I just say "I hope he's still going to pay the bill" in a very deadpan tone. My partner wasn't so much shocked about this as he was amused by all of this and my reaction.

I think the only thing that could have made it better would have been if I had of been using my simself for this playthrough.

• haileyvdhaileyvd Posts: 28 Member
    I only play with the base game as my laptop is on its way to blowing up, and I have the same issues with elders choosing terrible places to die. One sim died on my front porch, literally. Several have died at the gym as well. I cannot stand the sad moodlets afterwards when a sim dies and my sim had no relation to them!!
  • MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    zuzumax2 wrote: »
    I've had like 5 nanny's die in front of my kids

Im sorry but lol :D

I found this funny as well. Those poor sweet dears. Not! lol
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    How do you keep elders out of restaurants?
    How do you keep elders out of restaurants?

You can't, unfortunately :(

• Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Hey, can you blame them? :p These Sims may be in single households, die alone at home, and be found The Giant Plumbob knows how long afterward. So they obvs want to die where they can have the maximum effect. ;)

And as for the Sim with the pet, he may have known his time was coming, so he used the last of his life force to get his companion help, and where someone then could care for Pupster after he was gone. :'( What did happen to the dog? Did he turn into a stray?

I've been having a great time with my clinic. Trouble is, I see sick strays out in the world, and I have to bring them in and cure them. So then I add them to my household, and adopt them out them out to a good home. So I guess my clinic is also a shelter. :D
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    My detective sim had an elder coworker who dropped dead on the clock, and with the cop shop layout, managed to block my sim in so she couldn't get through the mass of sobbing sims in order to carry on with her work day. My comp runs slow on big public lots so I couldn't even properly fast forward through it. I ended up ending the shift early, delaying her promotion.

Say "YES" to mandatory retirement for NPC sims! :D

Well I have had at least 3 elders die in the jail cells. On the same day too lol

Their urns are in the wall so no one can mourn them except vlad that works there for some reason.
  • MellonuialMellonuial Posts: 47 Member
    This is too funny, but then I have a very morbid sense of humor (blame it on time spent as an emergency medical technician; many of us develop a "gallows" sense of humor as a defense mechanism. You either laugh or cry).

In any case, random piles of dead elders everywhere aren't a problem for me. I disabled the auto-aging option in the gameplay menu for both my own households and NPCs. Elders do retire but don't drop dead of old age. All other methods of meeting the Reaper are still on the table, though.

The best/worst experience I've had involved Vlad. Everyone's favorite Vampire decided to attended a dance party on the bluffs of Windenburg at the crack of dawn. Lacking the sun resistance trait, he burned up right in front of my Sim, with whom he shared a close, platonic, friendship. She pleaded with Death, but Grim wouldn't have it. Seems Death wanted to go skinny dipping instead :o (Now there's an image I never wanted to see! lol) But the best part was the next day when Vlad's ghost texted my Sim to console her over the loss of a dear friend. I laughed until I cried. My Sim moped for days, but then the story took an unexpected, if very sweet/sappy, turn. Ghost Vlad visited one of the night clubs and actually sought out my Sim. They spent the night dancing and talking, and, at dawn, since she had kept his urn, she let his spirit go. I haven't played that game since. My Sim had accomplished all of her goals, had a large circle of friends, a successful career as a food critic, and seeing Ghost Vlad one last time brought her some measure of closure. Her story was over. That is one and only time I have ever ended a game with just one generation.

But back to the original topic, an age restriction for certain lots might be a good idea for some players. There have also been numerous complaints about children making messes at restaurant and retail venues and during events. Perhaps a no one under age 16 or over age 60 restriction o:) I enjoy the chaos children bring, but I also understand the frustration of watching your business go down the tubes. Every Simmer has their own style of play, and if I have the option to disable auto-aging, others should be able to set age parameters for business venues.
  • ElleysimsElleysims Posts: 133 Member
    > @06Bon06 said:
    > jessienebulous wrote: »
    >
    > My detective sim had an elder coworker who dropped dead on the clock, and with the cop shop layout, managed to block my sim in so she couldn't get through the mass of sobbing sims in order to carry on with her work day. My comp runs slow on big public lots so I couldn't even properly fast forward through it. I ended up ending the shift early, delaying her promotion.
    >
    >
    > Say "YES" to mandatory retirement for NPC sims! :D
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Well I have had at least 3 elders die in the jail cells. On the same day too lol
    >
    > Their urns are in the wall so no one can mourn them except vlad that works there for some reason.

This happened to me too. It was only like 30 minutes until my sim could go home to his daughter's b-day party. Three elders decided to die in the cell and I quickly tried to leave since time was tight for the party. It wouldn't let me leave when sims are dieing. The grim reaper came and reaped one of the sims. He started playing on his tablet so I tried to plead to him to to go away but my sim couldn't reach. He just stayed there tapping his tablet for like 2 sim hours before I gave up and reloaded the game and had my sim leave work early before the elders died. Strangely though, none of the sims started crying.

On another note, I don't invite elders to my parties anymore since on my first load, once sims in the world started getting old, every time I tossed a party, someone would die. Really kills the mood. Thought it was pretty mean of me but glad I am not alone.

Also, it is really annoying to throw a party and sims start going to an urn and crying when they have no clue who that person was.
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    Yes! I could probably deal with sims dying on community lots, although removing the urns from there is an annoyance, but why do sims mourn someone they never knew? I guess seeing someone die is tough no matter who it is, but it could give a smaller moodlet and not trigger any autonomous mourning at the urn...
  • shezoeshezoe Posts: 67 Member
    So I have a funny story to share.

I've got to the point in my sims game where I have opened up a business, it's actually doing quite well. (3 star rating and going on up. I had to expand the dining room just recently to fit all the guests that keep coming in)

But in my most recent sim day of service we had a bit of a... hiccup.

So it's the middle of the rush, customers are happily eating, my sim is running about the floor welcoming guests and checking up on tables, All is going well. Until suddenly some tragic music starts to play. Then one of the older sims gets up and just DIES, right there in the middle of my restaurant.

Naturally not wanting an urn to worry about I plead for her life and she gets brought back, everyone is happy business can go back to normal.

But then good old Victor Feng not wanting anyone to steal his thunder decides that he too, shall have a go at dying. meanwhile it's causing service at my restaurant to suffer because ALL the waitstaff and the customers have gathered around in a big circle of pity party around this guys dead body.

I try to plead for him also but death decides he's not having it and leaves me with a lovely urn. At this point my staff is tired, customers are unhappy, and I've had enough of this dying nonsense. So I send everyone home for the day and pack up shop.

LOL! this exact same thing happened at my restaurant. I guess it's all the excitement that does them in :P
    Ky1BXMP.jpg
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member

Half-siblings are shown:

1. Why have I only just seen this
    2. “Descendent” hahahahahahahahahahaha
    3. Wow. SO glad I don’t use MCC LOL.

—T