Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How hard would it be for EA to make an updated version of TS2?

GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
I still love this game, but it is very dated. However, there are creators in the community that have been trying to improve TS2. I've seen so far reflective animated water, animated clouds, horizons/distant terrains, improved textures, and other things.

I see Simmers modding, making, and converting these things for TS2 and I wonder if they can do it how hard would it be for EA to get a small team to officially do it? Also, how much would it cost? I'm sure if the creators in the community had access to all of TS2 programming they could very well do it themselves seeing how much they do without it.

They can call it The Sims 2 Improved Edition. (I don't know.) I really want this to happen, but of course I'm just one random person. There is no way I could ever talk to EA about it.
PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.

Comments

• LykkeLeafLykkeLeaf Posts: 214 Member
    I really wish they would do that! I don't know exactly how hard it would be, but they would have to:

1- Remove the Securom DRM from the game (causes performance issues in Windows 10)
    2- Update the game's supported hardware list
    3- Upgrade the game's resolution
    4- Fix the shadow glitch and other graphical bugs
    5- Optimize the game for newer machines (it doesn't run so well for some players with modern PCs even with securom removed.)
    6- Upgrade the game's graphics a bit (optional)

That's quite a bit of work, but it would be worth it if they were to sell this improved version.
    I know it's unlikely to happen since they probably want people to play the current game and purchase more content for it, but that would truly be awesome.
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    LykkeLeaf wrote: »
    I really wish they would do that! I don't know exactly how hard it would be, but they would have to:

1- Remove the Securom DRM from the game (causes performance issues in Windows 10)
    2- Update the game's supported hardware list
    3- Upgrade the game's resolution
    4- Fix the shadow glitch and other graphical bugs
    5- Optimize the game for newer machines (it doesn't run so well for some players with modern PCs even with securom removed.)
    6- Upgrade the game's graphics a bit (optional)

That's quite a bit of work, but it would be worth it if they were to sell this improved version.
    I know it's unlikely to happen since they probably want people to play the current game and purchase more content for it, but that would truly be awesome.

Very interesting!

Number 6 is what I really want for the game.

It would be nice if they just handover the programming to the community. (Of course that is not going to happen, but can you imagine what they could do.)
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Hmmm I don't know. I actually think my game looks pretty darn good right now thanks to the community. I don't think I would actually want a updated version by EA. I don't even want to think about how many mods or CC would no longer be compatible with the new version. There are a lot of people that no longer make content, that made some of the best stuff. I would hate to loose those things.

EA does not like to revisit anything they have already released. They do want you to invest in the new thing. I honestly don't ever see it happening, especially since they stopped supporting the game. They would have to support a newer version, especially if they were to sell it. It would be interesting to see what they would do, but I think I would just stick with the version I have. ;) If they did they would certainly tie it to Origin, something I do not want!
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    Hmmm I don't know. I actually think my game looks pretty darn good right now thanks to the community. I don't think I would actually want a updated version by EA. I don't even want to think about how many mods or CC would no longer be compatible with the new version. There are a lot of people that no longer make content, that made some of the best stuff. I would hate to loose those things.

EA does not like to revisit anything they have already released. They do want you to invest in the new thing. I honestly don't ever see it happening, especially since they stopped supporting the game. They would have to support a newer version, especially if they were to sell it. It would be interesting to see what they would do, but I think I would just stick with the version I have. ;) If they did they would certainly tie it to Origin, something I do not want!

@JULES1111 Ah, I understand what you mean. Couldn't they leave it compatible though, and still update it? I mean the community is doing this and it is still compatible. But with the full programming/codes there will be more to work with. Unless these restrictions are what keeps it compatible (?). I don't know, I'm not a programmer. I haven't a clue. lol
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »
    JULES1111 wrote: »

@JULES1111 Ah, I understand what you mean. Couldn't they leave it compatible though, and still update it? I mean the community is doing this and it is still compatible. But with the full programming/codes there will be more to work with. Unless these restrictions are what keeps it compatible (?). I don't know, I'm not a programmer. I haven't a clue. lol

I am not really sure how programming works either. I would imagine if they for instance redid the graphics, that item recolors, and items that were made cloning a EA object would get messed up. Some mods that didn't have anything to do with the looks of the game would be fine, but anything that is made to work with how the game is now, would probably be ruined. I think so anyway..but I am no expert myself. :D

The community is working with how the game is as it stands now. Yes they are making wonderful improvements. They can make some of these wonderful improvements due to the fact that people have more powerful computers then they did over 10 years ago, and they are optional. Mods like water, horizon, and such would have made a older computer explode. Now it is no problem for most people to run those things in game, if EA made the improvements, they would also have to raise the system requirements to be able to run these things without issue. Which is something they have proven they don't really want to do. I don't think it is financially in their favor to spend the money making the improvements, supporting the game again, and being able to sell enough to compensate for their investment. They are better of at that point to just make a whole new game IMO.

Maybe someone who has actually done some modding to 2, would know how it would effect things. As a matter of fact I know one, I should drop her a message and ask! :p
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    I only got to play Sims2: The Ultimate Collection afew times, due to an issue with the start up. For some strange reason it'll work the first couple of times (after a reinstall) but then, it'll quit working - says "Sims2 is not installed, or some of the files got deleted"! Bull Hockey! I haven't deleted ANYTHING! I've done several (lost count) reinstalls since I got it in July 2014!

*sigh* Well, at least I have my Sims3 and (if THAT ever fails) my Sims4 games! :neutral:
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • lisamtownlisamtown Posts: 206 Member
    this would be a dream come true if they did this... They would get a lot of long time simmers to come back if they did... I miss my sims... I hated 3.. 4 is ok but an updated version of 2 would make me fork over the dough!!!! Please make this happen!!!!! :smiley:
    graphics-wallet-540882.gif
  • Misscow1PMisscow1P Posts: 366 Member
    If they were to redo the Sims 2 it would absolutely ruin most mods made for the game. If you use mods in Sims 3 or 4, you might've noticed that you need to update your mods every time you install a new update. The reason is that they try and clean up the code in each update, either by fixing glitches or adding new features. Any mods already created for Sims 2 would have to be redone as they'd no longer work properly, and a lot of Sims 2 modders aren't active anymore :/

Honestly, with all the mods and CC installed in my game, I find it much more fun than TS3 or TS4, and the graphics are better anyhow.
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Misscow1P wrote: »
    If they were to redo the Sims 2 it would absolutely ruin most mods made for the game. If you use mods in Sims 3 or 4, you might've noticed that you need to update your mods every time you install a new update. The reason is that they try and clean up the code in each update, either by fixing glitches or adding new features. Any mods already created for Sims 2 would have to be redone as they'd no longer work properly, and a lot of Sims 2 modders aren't active anymore :/

Honestly, with all the mods and CC installed in my game, I find it much more fun than TS3 or TS4, and the graphics are better anyhow.

I agree, we just need a proper sequel like TS5 or something which really tries to go in the direction and gameplay depth that TS2 provides. That said, I reckon EA is just going to keep making variations of The Sims concept as they profit pretty well using that model. :neutral:
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I'd be happy if they just came out with a patch that would enable Sims2 to run on a Win10 machine without one needing a doctorate in programming/computer science to overcome all the glitches.
  • Misscow1PMisscow1P Posts: 366 Member
    @nanashi-sims I wouldn't hold my breath :neutral:

@Oldeseadogge XD true. Thankfully most mods made compatible for Apartment Life still work for Ultimate Collection. I have a Windows 10 and the only one that I couldn't get to work for my game is Sim Blender.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I would actually love it if they remade ts2 with ts3 or ts4 graphics. Keep the game the same as it always was with the exact same content, animations and gameplay, just with a graphical improvement.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    [quote @Oldeseadogge XD true. Thankfully most mods made compatible for Apartment Life still work for Ultimate Collection. I have a Windows 10 and the only one that I couldn't get to work for my game is Sim Blender.[/quote]

I'm nowhere near the CC. Just trying to get the base game to launch at this point. Just get 'unspecified error' which is quite useless for trouble shooting.

• NwonkuNwonku Posts: 3 New Member
    I would love to see a sims 2 remake, in some ways I think that's exactly what they did with the sims 4 but instead of appealing to us long time (re: older) simmers they had hoped to capture a new and younger audience (gen z girls) . Personally i find the sims 4 kinda dull and also there is something disturbingly stepfordish about those sims 4 sims .

• nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Nwonku wrote: »
    I would love to see a sims 2 remake, in some ways I think that's exactly what they did with the sims 4 but instead of appealing to us long time (re: older) simmers they had hoped to capture a new and younger audience (gen z girls) . Personally i find the sims 4 kinda dull and also there is something disturbingly stepfordish about those sims 4 sims .

Sims 4 is boring :unamused: I hate to say that after toddlers are in the game, but the game is still boring. Hope that it will improve by the time they add more EPs. There's only 3 EPs right now, so maybe after uni, pets, seasons, etc. it'll be more like TS2 and less like TSSnooze.