The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tips for Thumbnails on youtube?

Does anyone have tips for a good thumbnails, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make my thumbnails better. I only have one recent thumbnail that im working on. Its the same picture with some tweaking but i need suggestions how to make my YouTube channel, And i trust my fellow simmers for advice
charmed.png
charmed%202.png

Comments

• lunasysimslunasysims Posts: 5,858 Member
    Basic backgrounds are best. You can use a screenshot as a thumbnail, and if you have some good ones, it can be eye-catching. But in general, I'd suggest using a patterned or plain background and posting the picture of your Sim on top of it, keeping them predominately on one side of the picture. With this design, you have the other half of the thumbnail to add text and icons :)
    Happiness is always just a plumbob away.
  • BabyDollOriginBabyDollOrigin Posts: 71 Member
    lunasysims wrote: »

Thank you ♡
  • WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    Well you can have the one you posted there but maybe blur the bakground one a little so the woman is focused more and the add the text.
  • sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member

I would keep the close up shot and either put it on a different background or blur the background that you currently have it on. Then add text, etc.

Here are a few that I've used. I try to keep them pretty simple, but interesting.

D8IA6MV.png

eppdc82.png

nEVGuEs.png

For my Sims 3 LP, I'm using a screenshot of the current world that I'm playing in as I move each new generation to a new world.

gXgHFpM.png

lbPb4vC.png
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • pepper090889pepper090889 Posts: 3,354 Member
    edited February 2017
    As the others have mentioned, a basic background would work better. Personally, I prefer an in game landscape photo as backgrounds, but blurring the backgrounds would also look good. And text usually adds a nice look as well. Here are a few thumbnails I've used. Dafont has a huge variety of free to use fonts if you're looking to download some. I also tweak the brightness and contrast a bit

CLICK v
    9wyGMJgm.jpgLDckWvfm.jpg
    aF411ZDm.jpgJpEkoH9m.jpg
    4O74DaXm.jpgQZEYc4sm.jpg
    ofNj4ul
  • anneloes740anneloes740 Posts: 171 Member
    As the others have mentioned, a basic background would work better. Personally, I prefer an in game landscape photo as backgrounds, but blurring the backgrounds would also look good. And text usually adds a nice look as well. Here are a few thumbnails I've used. Dafont has a huge variety of free to use fonts if you're looking to download some. I also tweak the brightness and contrast a bit

CLICK v
    9wyGMJgm.jpgLDckWvfm.jpg
    aF411ZDm.jpgJpEkoH9m.jpg
    4O74DaXm.jpgQZEYc4sm.jpg

Yours look so clean and pretty! <3
  • pepper090889pepper090889 Posts: 3,354 Member
    edited February 2017
    @anneloes740 Thank you :)
    Post edited by pepper090889 on
    ofNj4ul
    lunasysims wrote: »
    Thank you all for your tips and i did so with another thumbnail and think with more practice i can do better but here is my thumbnail i worked on with help with your tips!

Legacy.png
  • DeviSimmerDeviSimmer Posts: 232 Member
    edited February 2017
    @BabyDollOrigin you can also do background that connect to the theme of the video. if your video theme is prison so you can put the sim behind bars (like in here - http://picresize.com/images/rsz_12-11-16_9-33-34 pm.png ) or if the theme is africa you can but desert background (like in here - http://www.interload.co.il/upload/4304316.png ) or you can put a white background. its all dependent on what your theme is (at list for me its like this)
    3410792.png

DeviSimmer - create|CAS|SIMS
    find me on youtube & tumblr - DeviSimmer
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCFm5IJhxHDszR3XdDW78DEw
    DeviSimmer wrote: »
    Thank you, i really appreciate all the tips you have for me! Its really helping me

• anneloes740anneloes740 Posts: 171 Member
    Wow the new thumbnail looks awesome! You did a great job :smiley:
    Thank you! <3

• DeviSimmerDeviSimmer Posts: 232 Member
    @BabyDollOrigin im happy that I could help (:

3410792.png

DeviSimmer - create|CAS|SIMS
    find me on youtube & tumblr - DeviSimmer
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCFm5IJhxHDszR3XdDW78DEw
  • simmerbrentleysimmerbrentley Posts: 203 Member
    edited March 2017
    Your thumbnail looks fantastic, especially for a first try. The great thing about thumbnails is the option to change them later. I wouldn't stress to much about it.
    Post edited by simmerbrentley on
  • MellowMellow Posts: 138 Member
    Nice job! I do my thumbnails with fotor and befunky!
    21mc6e0.jpg
    My youtube channel with all my Sim paintings and CAS , speed builds HERE!
  • Blade334Blade334 Posts: 48 Member
    Wow the thumbnail looks great 👍🏼
    I am just starting a let’s play soon myself I got a question can anyone give a list of things to avoid when making a thumbnail ??
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    I think if creating a series, it's important to stick to your original ideas, creating the image for small tweaks that will separate the episodes but still make it clear they belong together.

Generally I think less text is better, and "small print" is no point as most viewers will see the image quite tiny. Contrasting colors or good fonts might be important to drag the viewer to your image, remember yours is just one among "millions". So, try to come up with something new and bright.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • ShadowPhoenix21ShadowPhoenix21 Posts: 141 Member
    I have been trying to figure out how to make game related thumbnails and I have to ask to get HD ones do you use just a screen shot or I saw a YouTube video where there used this weird posing program? Thanks
    I have been trying to figure out how to make game related thumbnails and I have to ask to get HD ones do you use just a screen shot or I saw a YouTube video where there used this weird posing program? Thanks

You will need photo editing software, like Photoshop. I'm using a very old version, no super pro features needed. Such software might also be useful for graphics/effects/credits etc.

Re posing, I never use sims posing in my films, I think the normal gsameplay looks more natural, so I can't help you with that for thumbs, but in general it's easy to take a PrintScreen from your gameplay and paste it into a new file for editing in the mentioned software.
    Thanks @Simmerville. Sorry but do you just screen shot in game or just screen shot the video? Thanks! I would do in game camera but it is a bit awkward if you are recording at the same time.
    Thanks @Simmerville. Sorry but do you just screen shot in game or just screen shot the video? Thanks! I would do in game camera but it is a bit awkward if you are recording at the same time.

I think I do both, depending. And I don't think you could tell a difference from the quality, the loss of pixels is not that big, an the thumb on YT is very tiny anyway. Even if you want a still picture too cover the entire screen, say as an opening scene in your vid, the quality will be good enough from a normal screen dump, as long as your all over settings and vid card etc is decent.
    Thanks I will try it out next video. Once I start Sims 4 lets plays the quality will be better as I will be using a different recording software that doesn't work with sims 3. :)