Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Image Hosting

Fiever7Fiever7 Posts: 884 Member
Why is it that I see something awesome someone posts around here and when I click it it's the oh so lovely scam site that is Photobucket?

imgur, Flickr are free without stupid random restrictions placed on people like bandwidth limitations and data storage.

I see people post pics of mansions and stuff and sometimes you can't see the pics because they ran out of bandwidth on Photobucket...

A quick look at Photobucket plans page I was instantly hit with a full page ad and then $150/year for ad free and thats before storage space prices.....
Also the fact the most pics people share direct them to the site itself is just generating clicks for them....

For the people who use this scam site, why?
IRJsECv.png

Comments

• LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    Each have their ups and downs. I'd use photobucket more if there wasn't the bandwidth restriction. On the upside, it uploads my photos in order. Imgur used to, which was amazing as it has no bandwidth restriction, but then it got plummed and ruined everything with its new uploader. That and my own account has a glitch where the pictures revert their order.

I'm currently using the middle-ground of Google Photos. Unlimited bandwidth, but still doesn't upload in order most of the time. Sometimes it will. Upside vs Imgur though is that I can simply select more than one photo and move the group. Can't do that on imgur unless they've finally upgraded. Other downside to Google is the links, but google also has a link shortener so just an extra step.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • RalphaelNinjaRalphaelNinja Posts: 1,461 Member
    guilty... been guilty for 16 years. old habits and haven't really look for alternatives... will look at imgur and flickr next time... maybe.... old habits you know... like a process.... build build build... take photos.... upload.... post..... read accolades... repeat....
    Ralphael%20Creations%202_zpsiovmt0hx.jpg
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    everyone has their favorites I guess. I use tumblr to upload my images mainly because I don't want to sign up for Flickr or photobucket.
  • Fiever7Fiever7 Posts: 884 Member
    edited February 2017
    ohmyohmy wrote: »
    everyone has their favorites I guess. I use tumblr to upload my images mainly because I don't want to sign up for Flickr or photobucket.

Never had issues with Tumblr honestly I just tossed some examples
    Each have their ups and downs. I'd use photobucket more if there wasn't the bandwidth restriction. On the upside, it uploads my photos in order. Imgur used to, which was amazing as it has no bandwidth restriction, but then it got plummed and ruined everything with its new uploader. That and my own account has a glitch where the pictures revert their order.

I'm currently using the middle-ground of Google Photos. Unlimited bandwidth, but still doesn't upload in order most of the time. Sometimes it will. Upside vs Imgur though is that I can simply select more than one photo and move the group. Can't do that on imgur unless they've finally upgraded. Other downside to Google is the links, but google also has a link shortener so just an extra step.

I didn't know Google has an image Hosting side.
    For your reasons is why I use Flickr but I mainly use that site for photography purposes since it can show the camera data like which lens, focal length ECT.
    IRJsECv.png
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    edited February 2017
    I use tinypic and have never had issues.

ETA:

And never had too sign up for anything which I love.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
    ladybreid wrote: »
    I use tinypic and have never had issues.

ETA:

And never had too sign up for anything which I love.

I was going to mention tinypic but never really used them so I didn't know exactly how it is.
    IRJsECv.png
  • Skcaga6Skcaga6 Posts: 3,399 Member
    I have been using photobucket for years. Have uploaded thousands of pictures and NEVER have I had a problem with bandwidth or space. I have never paid for anything on the page either. My space is currently at only 6% used and I have thousands of pictures uploaded to it. Until they limit my space or I start having bandwidth problems, I'm going to continue using photobucket for FREE.
    wotgen6.gif?w=656
    Skcaga6 wrote: »
    I have been using photobucket for years. Have uploaded thousands of pictures and NEVER have I had a problem with bandwidth or space. I have never paid for anything on the page either. My space is currently at only 6% used and I have thousands of pictures uploaded to it. Until they limit my space or I start having bandwidth problems, I'm going to continue using photobucket for FREE.

The problem is not on the user side for the most part since most people will view the uploader side and when they share pics they usually don't click them themselves. The major problem is the other side where someone wants to view the real resolution but the pic just redirects you to gallery view and shows only smaller versions of the pics in question.
    It generates a click to an ad driven page rather than to the image itself.

I have problems with giving any support to greedy image hosts like Photobucket since you get all the same crap they sell for free elsewhere.

Photobucket
    xZJygWZ.png

Flickr which I also just learned can do video
    4qGSHye.png
    That's 1TB free storage and can be edited and organized and shared.

And their proplan
    3HPBiGa.png
    IRJsECv.png
  • UnrealRootUnrealRoot Posts: 307 Member
    I just use pomf cat lately, never had any issues with it.. it is simple and no need for registering.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Signed up to imgur - couldn't be easier, drag, drop, select share link, paste.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
    Signed up to imgur - couldn't be easier, drag, drop, select share link, paste.

I use imgur for all my quick screenshots and random stuff because it is quick and easy and sign up is pretty simple of using Facebook because... Why not
    IRJsECv.png
  • Marmalade27Marmalade27 Posts: 625 Member
    I use Imgur. Unlimited storage, free and easy to use.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited February 2017
    Fiever7 wrote: »
    For your reasons is why I use Flickr but I mainly use that site for photography purposes since it can show the camera data like which lens, focal length ECT.

I keep multiple Flickr accounts, since they make that possible - that way I'm not wading through my screenshots to find my non-Sims-life photos. I used to just log out and log in, but now I just use different browsers, so one browser is logged into my Sims Flickr, and another to my most-used non-Sims Flickr. I like how easy it is to grab the BB Code to copy here, and to do it in different sizes. Plus I like that I don't have to have all my stuff there public and searchable, so it's visible only where I want it to be visible. And I use their tags and sets and stuff to keep it easy to search for.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,096 Member
    Skcaga6 wrote: »

Same here. I ONLY use photobucket for Sims. It's fun to scroll back to the beginning of my album to see all The Sims 3 photos I took.
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I used photobucket for a few years, and never had any problems until recently. It was free, and easy, and with all my pics of my builds I haven't come close to filling my space. However, over the last few months there have been more and more ads, making it harder to upload my pictures or even move them around in albums. For the last few weeks, I have not even been able to log in. I have looked at other sites, but I am just so bummed that all of the pics of my builds are now on a site I can't even access.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Well I was going to check out 'Flickr', but when I went to sigh up I got a page to create a 'yahoo' account. What the heck? All I want is a easy, fast, free place to put my pics so I can share them here. I have bunches on photobucket, but it takes so long just to get to the log-in page.
    Well I was going to check out 'Flickr', but when I went to sigh up I got a page to create a 'yahoo' account. What the heck? All I want is a easy, fast, free place to put my pics so I can share them here. I have bunches on photobucket, but it takes so long just to get to the log-in page.

Imgur if you have a Facebook account is like a 2 click signup

Flickr was easy for me since I already had a yahoo email since I was a kid.
    IRJsECv.png
    edited February 2017
    Double post
    IRJsECv.png
    edited February 2017
    I went with Imgur:

http://imgur.com/INpJg65

so how do I post it so the pic shows

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/cqxRy"><a href="//imgur.com/cqxRy"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

evgUtry.png

Finally!!
    edited February 2017
    I went with Imgur:

http://imgur.com/INpJg65

so how do I post it so the pic shows

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/cqxRy"><a href="//imgur.com/cqxRy"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Right click image
    Copy image URL or address
    There should be a little file icon in the edit box on here and when clicked should say age URL. Paste in there and it should put the code in

Edit: nice
    IRJsECv.png

Have you been able to get on at all? I'd like to get my pictures off it, but I can't even log in. I am going to have to place every build from my library and take new pictures of them all.
    Piperbird wrote: »

Have you been able to get on at all? I'd like to get my pictures off it, but I can't even log in. I am going to have to place every build from my library and take new pictures of them all.

I haven't logged into it in almost a year.
    Piperbird wrote: »

I haven't logged into it in almost a year.

Now when you try to log in it pops up an ad. It used to be the ad would run and then you could log in, but now the ad just stays a white box and you never log in.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I use Photobucket.

I haven't had any major issues with it. The ads do bother me, but not enough for me to switch providers as if I did, I would want to switch all of the pictures over and that means having to go update blogs with stories. And I don't want to have to remember which story is on which photo hosting site. And if one chapter started having image issues I would need to troubleshoot links and that sometimes means going into photobucket to get a new link just in case the one in the blog got messed up somehow.

I do have my annoyances with it. I hate how many steps it takes to get to the links to share the pictures. I hate how it sticks the string "~original" on the end of the url.

So until the problems/annoyances get large enough to warrant all of the trouble it would be to swap out, I'll continue to use photobucket. Or if it turns out that my picture displaying issue is related to photobucket and not the blog service then I will switch out.

My graphics aren't that great and neither are my camera angles in any game to need super high resolution large images on their own page. The ones I share are typically the ones for my story.

@Piperbird Have you tried logging in from another browser? Maybe it will play nice in another browser?
    Seera1024 wrote: »

@Piperbird Have you tried logging in from another browser? Maybe it will play nice in another browser?

Yes, I usually use Chrome, but I have tried it in IE and Firefox. I didn't mind the ads when they were just on the sides, but more and more they pop up in the middle of your screen, usually while trying to move pics to albums. It will also run ads while trying to upload. It even has a message saying it will not disrupt the upload, but it pretty much stops the upload until the ad is done. I wouldn't need it at all if the pics the game takes were not so awful.