Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The teens are ruining the game

Comments

• Options
    NelusNelus Posts: 151 Member
    Teens are not the same quality standard than the rest of the game. I hope they fix that soon.

In the new parenthood gameplay video its very confusing even if they try their best i constantly mix up teens and adults only noticing its a teen when they get scolded by someone.

In the real game its even worse when the teens pick granny wear and look like they are the parents of their parents...
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Hey guys,

I was playing with this great family and was having a lot of fun. There were the parents, the big sister (my first toddler ^^) turned into a child and her little sister (also a toddler now).

Then the eldest child grew up into a teen and the magic was gone the moment she blew out the candles. She looks so old now, it's game breaking.

How do you guys do?

I can't play with families past teens. I hate the teens. I really do. They absolutely need to be revamped.

I find the teens even worse than the used-to-be toddler absence... And that's saying... Because I really missed toddlers.....

Amen.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    KeyenpeydeeKeyenpeydee Posts: 9,280 Member
    Am I the only one who has no problems with teens? Though i'd love shorter teens.
    Queen of Rap, Nicki Minaj // minajsalad
    tumblr_nijden3ooM1qb9pa3o1_500.gifv

• Options
    CoreyTessCoreyTess Posts: 48 Member
    I think that the new pack with parents and parenting as the main theme is going to fix teens for they are more like they were in Sims 3, really looking younger and having different style and lives than the young adults.
    Catch Up with My Sims Stuff Here simfablife.blogspot.com
    tumblr_oa663idSUS1v00mydo1_500.gif

• Options
    ZoreloraZorelora Posts: 54 Member
    I hope there will be more things to do with teens in Parenthood pack.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Am I the only one who has no problems with teens? Though i'd love shorter teens.

No, you're not the only one. :) I know every teen in my neighborhoods so I've never had a problem recognizing them and the height has never been an issue for me.
  • Options
    UltraUltra Posts: 826 Member
    lol where do you all live that your teens wear sundresses and no make up. Normally teen fashion is more daring and risqué. But I agree, teens at the moment are rather bland. Their bodies usually look disfigured due to the thinner frame. I really think the age system needs an overhaul to be honest. Everything is fine from Baby to child but after that there should be a preteen/early teen stage representing the ages from 12 -15 and late teens representing ages 16 - 19. Then should come young adults representing 20 - 30 and adults representing 30 - 45 and late adulthood representing 45 - 65. Then the elder stage.

The reason being is, I usually don't start families until my sims reach adulthood, but by the time the first child is a teen their parents are already elders. It also doesn't make sense that a female sim can have a baby 10 days before she becomes an elder, which is why I feel there needs to be a late adulthood stage. In this stage it would be much harder for a female sim to conceive and at any random time she could go through a "menopause" after which she could no longer conceive. It's at this stage you would expect your average sim to have teens and maybe young adult children. Then elders could truly be elders and retire and not have to worry about raising a teen and a child....even in some cases a toddler.

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Ultra wrote: »
    lol where do you all live that your teens wear sundresses and no make up. Normally teen fashion is more daring and risqué. But I agree, teens at the moment are rather bland. Their bodies usually look disfigured due to the thinner frame. I really think the age system needs an overhaul to be honest. Everything is fine from Baby to child but after that there should be a preteen/early teen stage representing the ages from 12 -15 and late teens representing ages 16 - 19. Then should come young adults representing 20 - 30 and adults representing 30 - 45 and late adulthood representing 45 - 65. Then the elder stage.

The reason being is, I usually don't start families until my sims reach adulthood, but by the time the first child is a teen their parents are already elders. It also doesn't make sense that a female sim can have a baby 10 days before she becomes an elder, which is why I feel there needs to be a late adulthood stage. In this stage it would be much harder for a female sim to conceive and at any random time she could go through a "menopause" after which she could no longer conceive. It's at this stage you would expect your average sim to have teens and maybe young adult children. Then elders could truly be elders and retire and not have to worry about raising a teen and a child....even in some cases a toddler.

What game do you have where all your teens generated in game are really thin? All my teens 99.9% the game generates are huge. One reason I can't tell them apart from the set which the game generates as Adult with a teen daughter and different ethnic son. Most of the time I confuse them because of that type body frame and mother type the game keeps generating. Example: Overweight mom with teen daughter and different ethnic son...always looks the same as lone generated teen in my game...over weight.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    KHS12KHS12 Posts: 3,023 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

What game do you have where all your teens generated in game are really thin? All my teens 99.9% the game generates are huge. One reason I can't tell them apart from the set which the game generates as Adult with a teen daughter and different ethnic son. Most of the time I confuse them because of that type body frame and mother type the game keeps generating. Example: Overweight mom with teen daughter and different ethnic son...always looks the same as lone generated teen in my game...over weight.

Mine come out extremely thin with weird frames as well, unfortunately.
  • Options
    CursedDiceCursedDice Posts: 978 Member
    edited May 2017
    Cinebar wrote: »

All of my teens bar one that I can think of have been thin. A healthy thing, but they still look weird though until I fix them
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited May 2017
    Behappy1st wrote: »
    I think they could make teen pregnancy a lesson. Going to school, taking care of a baby and working part time to support yourself and your baby. They could throw a lot of things into it to make it hard. Who knows, maybe a teen would think twice about taking that chance, if they saw what it could be like while playing a game.

Or mod/cheat that 🐸🐸🐸🐸 out and make it easy. Adding pregnancy to the game imo would more likely ENCOURAGE than not to the real world. There's a line between a game and real world. It's a virtual pixel baby, not a real baby. Especally when the game lacks depth, TS4 isn't the best representation of a simulated sandbox life than the previous installments.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    At first it did slightly bother me that teens weren't just a tad shorter than the adults, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for me anymore after I started adjusting their wardrobes to be a bit more age appropriate.

Personally, I can't wait to see what changes are made to them via the Parenthood GP. I'm hoping with the additional gameplay, clothing, and CAS items we'll have teens that play closer to TS2 and TS3 versions... just a tad taller of course! :D
  • Options
    Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    With cheats turned on, you should now be able to modify NPCs in Create a Sim by shift clicking on them and choosing "Modify in CAS".

With this patch update, we can edit our townie teens :)
    ▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
  • Options
    SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    I want teens to look like they did in The Sims 2. In this version sims look like they stay the same age from teen, YA & A.
    I hope Parenthood would've at least, shorten them up and made them a bit awkward. I don't see any major changes to teens in the teasers though.
    Teens need a major fixing IMO.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Options
    brendhan21brendhan21 Posts: 3,427 Member

No, you're not the only one. :) I know every teen in my neighborhoods so I've never had a problem recognizing them and the height has never been an issue for me.

if they added random new teens in your neighborhoods could you reconinze them at first.
  • Options
    Behappy1st wrote: »
    I think they could make teen pregnancy a lesson. Going to school, taking care of a baby and working part time to support yourself and your baby. They could throw a lot of things into it to make it hard. Who knows, maybe a teen would think twice about taking that chance, if they saw what it could be like while playing a game.

Or mod/cheat that plum out and make it easy. Adding pregnancy to the game imo would more likely ENCOURAGE than not to the real world. There's a line between a game and real world. It's a virtual pixel baby, not a real baby. Especally when the game lacks depth, TS4 isn't the best representation of a simulated sandbox life than the previous installments.

and so many people are trying convince as this the most detailed and greatest sims yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    for me i still cant get over the fact that teens look too much like young adults. like its so weird to see a teen grow up and turn into a young adult except no real physical change was made.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited May 2017
    I am hoping that that they at least tweak the sim moddels to make sims a little slimmer and perhaps have rounder faces than their YA versions.

I noticed that about a couple of my sims. Some of my sims look no different when I changed them from YA to teen in CAS. But these two look younger.
    TS4_x64%202017-01-13%2001-09-15-78.png

05-25-17_12-55-25nbspPM.png
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    sunspritersunspriter Posts: 125 Member
    Interesting to read everyone's different issues, my teens all definitely look like YAs when they age up, I change what they're wearing etc but it'd be nice if their faces looked a little younger. I like both fat and thin teens I think that's realistic, I don't even care about the height, I just wish their faces were younger
  • Options
    kristal2424kristal2424 Posts: 131 Member
    teens dont bother me at all, yet im always distracted by toddlers. (im a bad parent)
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Jodie Foster at 14:

jodie-foster-the-little-girl-who.jpeg

Jodie Foster at 15:

candleshoe-5.png

Jodie Foster at 18:

carny.png

Jodie Foster at 23:

v1.bTsxMjEwNTM5NTtqOzE3MjQwOzEyMDA7MTUzNjsyMDQ4

If anything she looks skinnier to me. Sharper features.
    It would be interesting to compare same sims by the way, not one sim to the other. Though that wouldn't mean much because I think we should be able to recognize a teen in the game when they pass by, immediately. Just like irl.

Jodie Foster at 23: Image unavailable :D
  • Options
    I look really young for my age. People assume I'm a teenager and I'm in my late twenties. I agree that it has a lot to do with the face. They look a lot like adults that sometimes I can't tell. It is true that some teens look older for their age but I've always looked a lot younger. It goes both ways really. The height is a problem for me (and not just with teens) because not everyone is the same height and some people are taller and shorter than others. I know that the sims are a game, but it would be cool if someday I could actually make myself sim shorter than my husband and my kids true to their heights as well. In the sims 4 teens just seem to be adults that go to school. There are no restrictions, curfews, grounding, sneaking out, or partying when their parents leave the house. They don't get pimples or gush over a crush. (I think it would be really cute if they got embarrassed around their crush as well) I want my teens to have consequences. I want them to have different traits and aspirations. I just want them to feel they are their own life stage.

Have the same thing happen. Mid 20s and people assume I'm a teenage boy still
  • Options
    To7m wrote: »
    TriX0099 wrote: »
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    TriX0099 wrote: »
    What has to be considered is that teens were smaller in previous games - which was a design choice by the developers. TS4 teens draw attention to the importance and purpose of this design choice that was shorter teens, as the little physical distinction our teens have now plays a huge part in the problem that is them being indistinguishable from YA/A. It essentially makes their gameplay redundant and players have noticed this redundancy, hence the thread.

Pre-teens are not the answer to this problem, as developers should not be adding a new life stage to compensate for a severely underdeveloped one that's already in the game. Instead, resources should be spent on fleshing out teens to make them more unique and worthwhile. Once that's done, I would then consider the need for a pre-teen life stage.
    Umm ok that makes no sense that you would hate teens because they can wear all the young adult-elder clothes they are still unique and I couldn't stand when I would CC shop for clothes in the other games that I had to get separate clothes for them to wear. I like that they can wear the adult clothes its how you present them in your game whether they look like teens to you.
    What has to be considered is that teens were smaller in previous games - which was a design choice by the developers. TS4 teens draw attention to the importance and purpose of this design choice that was shorter teens, as the little physical distinction our teens have now plays a huge part in the problem that is them being indistinguishable from YA/A. It essentially makes their gameplay redundant and players have noticed this redundancy, hence the thread.

Pre-teens are not the answer to this problem, as developers should not be adding a new life stage to compensate for a severely underdeveloped one that's already in the game. Instead, resources should be spent on fleshing out teens to make them more unique and worthwhile. Once that's done, I would then consider the need for a pre-teen life stage.
    Umm ok that makes no sense that you would hate teens because they can wear all the young adult-elder clothes they are still unique and I couldn't stand when I would CC shop for clothes in the other games that I had to get separate clothes for them to wear. I like that they can wear the adult clothes its how you present them in your game whether they look like teens to you.

I never said I hated teens. I was drawing attention to something that made teens successful in other games and that is their size.

Sure I like how they can wear adults clothes, but currently everything they do is adult, apart from school and a part time job, so I would be happy to sacrifice some adult things for them to be more unique.
    But there size doesn't matter all my teens look like teens because I dress them like teens. This is my best example of teens looking like teens in my game at least.

16298553_417453638597980_1710884243621123250_n.jpg?oh=92759560b8a5e8d7ad1cb050106b7b8d&oe=58FD7C5A

Ok, I think I must be misunderstanding something here, because I am having a hard time understanding you. You hated having to download separate CC for your teens, and think teens are great the way they are now, since you don't have to, right?

Then you prove how you make them look like teens in your game (good job btw), and you post a picture, where it is clear you didn't make your sims look like teens, using the tools EA gave you, but instead did it, by using CC. So in order to make teens look like teens, the way you are able to do, then everyone would have to download CC... which was what you hated having to do for your sims when they were shorter???? I feel like you totally disproved your own point with that picture. If the piercings are (part of) what makes them look like teens to you, then you did download CC specifically for your teens anyway. Unless you use it for your adults too, but then your adults would also look exactly like the pic you posted? I am just really confused here....

Not really. The person didn't say they hated having to download CC, just that they had to download a separate set of CC for teens vs adults because the teens couldn't wear adult clothes. That's how I read it anyway :) So they can still download CC to make teens look more like teens, but the benefit appears to be that these clothes aren't limited to the teens.

But if they use that same CC (that they downloaded to make teens look like teens) on adults, then the adults would look like teens, so the simmer is downloading separately for the teens anyway, as I understand it?

Personally, I wish teens were shorter. I realize that some teens IRL are as tall or taller than their parents, but sims uses stereotypes to be recognizable, and in general, teens are not taller than their parents. If these teens are supposed to be not literally 13 to 19, but only 17-19, then they need to shorten that lifespan to make it fit (no, I don't really want that, but then it would make more sense at least).

I don't think that the time it would take to redo all animations for yet another lifestage, would be worth it at this point though. But just like the lack of toddlers, I don't think that shortcut is one that should have been made in the first place. Teenagers obviously need more special interactions and exclusive things, but a simple fix would be to categorize clothing according to ages. You could still chose clothing for any age (of the same size) in CAS, just like you can with the genders, so you wouldn't lose any of your freedom to customize as you see fit. But if the game chose more "age-appropriate" clothing for NPCs and sims when aging up, it would go a long way IMO. Sure, I can dress my teens and adults to make them more distinguishable, but they will then run into NPCs that don't use my filter, and that means there is no difference after all. Even if the devs would default some clothing to a totally different age, than I personally would (which would be highly likely), I would at least know what age they are when I see an NPC wearing it.

The smaller frame that teens currently have, is quite useless to me as a way to distinguish between ages, as I play rotational, and all sims gain an awful lot of weight every time I am away . Of course they do. The game uses them as NPCs when I don't play them, and they are constantly made to eat when doing so (grilling in the open neighbourhoods, food stands in CL, restaurant visits, parties they attend - so many NPC roles require the sims to eat, so no wonder they all have weight-issues in my game).
    I will explain what I meant in TS2 and 3 we always had to download if we wanted more clothes that is different CC for all the ages teens had their own clothes and YA-elders had theirs. I am saying that I hated that they couldn't all have the same clothes in those games because it was just more to download for all ages. The benefits in this game is they can all wear the same clothes and I like that but I do go out of my way to pick more teenager clothes for my sims and when my sims are still in that kind of transition where they are finding themselves they will wear those clothes and be like they were as a teen. When they are parents I tend to dress them more like a parent and not so wild so I have a variety of clothes for my sims. So my opinion is that teens look fine the way they are and everyone is so dang picky how the game is its not really fun anymore to talk about sims. I mean like when the toddlers were back everyone thought that was cure all to love the game. This is my feeling you had to like the game how it was before toddlers content and toddlers aren't the cure all for the game if you didn't like it before toddlers you won't like it now its the same game it was before toddlers.

It's not about being picky. It's about having expectations from a company and then raising the bar to match.

Get over it.

--T
    It is about being picky because its been 2 years and none of you are even satisfied with how the game is now. If they made teens to look like that and they look like teens to me by the way then I doubt they are going to change the game for just the people who think they don't look like teens. My expectations of TS4 was none because I wanted a new game and not a game like the other past 2 games so you are saying get over it because why I like the game the way it is I would have never moved on to TS4 if it was like 3 or 2 because there are things in those games I never liked. Like in 2 I hated aging everyone b going to all the houses and doing it. 3 I hated the plum open world that never rendered great and my game always froze and was a big hot mess even with mods.

My Sims 4 stutters and glitches a lot whereas Sims 3 runs almost perfectly by comparison. Had skewers rendered properly as well. It's crashed before but that was on far weaker hardware than what I have now and then I could go long stretches with no issues (laptop would hey boiling hot though)
  • Options
    When I play teens they have no makeup (unless it's part of their personality), and they wear appropriate clothes for their age. I would still like it if there was a height difference (for all ages). Like Toddler, kids, teens, and adults would have three heights... short, average, and tall. A tall teenager would be the same height as an average adult and a short adult would be the same height as an average teen. I'm a lot shorter than my husband. It would be nice if each life stage came with different heights and if not in the sims 4 maybe the sims 5.

I play the Sims 3 with both Consort Grow and Consort Age. Consort Grow starts a new teen with what would be a pre-teen body and then grows the teen up daily. So at the end of the teenage-stage, the teens are how they are in vanilla. It's awesome to see a group of teens with Consort Grow on. Older teens are noticebly taller and more developed than the younger teens. Consort Age does the same for the elders. Once they hit the elder stage, they don't become geriatric overnight, but slowly get older day by day so that an elder that is putting days to a full life-bar is way older in appearance than an elder who just entered the stage.

Much of my discontent with the teenage-stage in TS4 might stern from the fact that I'm so used to playing with Consort Grow running. But even without Consort Grow, a TS3 teen is a teen-ager in all aspects. In TS3 they might as well be YA.

I couldn't get consort grow to work when I used it