Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does this laptop run Sims 4?

SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
Hello all!
I have a chance to get a new laptop, for free. Right now I'm playing Sims on Asus K50IJ. And the free one is HP Elitebook 8440. Would the game run the same or even better on the HP one? Or, as I had originally planned, should I wait til I have enough money to buy a completely new gaming laptop?
Can anyone do a little comparison between the Asus and HP one, like which one's better an stuff?

Okay... I went to the computer shop today and asked for a laptop with the i7 thingy.
The one the man in the shop offered was Dell Insprion 5567.
Is this a good laptop for Sims? I don't play anything else, if I do then it requires a lot less stuff than Sims. I know this much. And yeah, Sims is all I'm looking at right now.
@phoebebebe13 @luthienrising @DeKay
sry if I'm bothering you guys :)
Anyone else can reply too obvously :) Just someone please who knows this stuff.
Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
Post edited by Simpkin on

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    The HP comes with different specs. Would need to know the computer specs. This game does require a higher end gaming laptop to survive as the game adds more and more
  • _livipaws__livipaws_ Posts: 4 New Member
    I have the HP Elitebook 8440 and sims 4 works fine and runs really smoothly, much better than by last laptop. Just always check double check your specs. Hope this helps. _livipaws_ xx.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I don't have the HP with me just yet. Will have to wait til my brother goes home and sends me the information. I'll post them when I get them.
    Okay, I got the DxDiag file from the brother. What kind of information is needed?
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Okay, I got the DxDiag file from the brother. What kind of information is needed?

processor, video card, amount of ram and does it have windows 64 bit or 32 bit?
    Okay, i hope I post the right information:

Processor
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Video card
    Display Devices
    Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i5)
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0046&SUBSYS_172A103C&REV_02
    Display Memory: 1696 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
    Shared Memory: 1632 MB
    Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: unknown
    Monitor Id: AUO143C
    Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.098Hz)
    Output Type: Internal
    Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32
    Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.3268 (English)
    Driver Version: 8.15.10.3268
    DDI Version: 10
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 11/6/2013 16:24:12, 8314368 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4306-11CF-487F-2037A2C2C535}
    Vendor ID: 0x8086
    Device ID: 0x0046
    SubSys ID: 0x172A103C
    Revision ID: 0x0002
    Driver Strong Name: oem5.inf:IntelGfx.NTamd64.6.0:iILKM0:8.15.10.3268:pci\ven_8086&dev_0046&subsys_172a103c
    Rank Of Driver: 00E60001
    (hopefully something out of this is useful)

Ram
    Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3888MB RAM

And I think it's 64bit:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532)

So I just wanna know if it's worth changing my old one to this one or if I should buy a completely new and more powerful one. It's just my current one is really not in a good shape but it stills plays the Sims well enough and I need loads od space for pics, videos and music so, if you could tell me how much space this HP has it would be nice aswell :)
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    That laptop is below the minimum requirements for the game. I'd be surprised if it ran in September 2014. Sorry :(
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited February 2017
    oh okay, I was gonna get it for free so I thought if it works I'll get it.
    Agree with luthienrising . I would save up for a desktop or gaming laptop
    @simpkin To check for hard drive space on a DxDiag Look for disc and DVD/CD ROM drives. Example below.

Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
    Drive: C:
    Free Space: 128.9 GB
    Total Space: 237.9 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB

Drive: F:
    Free Space: 830.7 GB
    Total Space: 953.7 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: TOSHIBA DT01ACA100
    Oh dear. There's so little space. I definitely won't give up my Asus for that HP. Eventhoguh my Asus is old and slow. I just have to wait a year and hope my laptop will make it til I have the money for a new gaming laptop.
    Oh dear. There's so little space. I definitely won't give up my Asus for that HP. Eventhoguh my Asus is old and slow. I just have to wait a year and hope my laptop will make it til I have the money for a new gaming laptop.

That HP overall is under requirements on hardware and may have a small hard drive as well. Desktops are more powerful , cheaper and can be upgraded unlike a laptop. Laptop your stuck with the specs you buy. Gaming laptops are more expensive. You pay more for being compact and mobile. I don't recommend laptops for gaming unless you absolutely need a laptop.
    Oh I need a laptop. I go between towns often and wanna play everywhere I am. Or use it for other things.
    I had a look at the prices already, hopefully they won't go up too much by the end of the year.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    Laptops needed to run the game will be quite expensive compared to desktops so just be wary of that.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
    Oh I need a laptop. I go between towns often and wanna play everywhere I am. Or use it for other things.
    I had a look at the prices already, hopefully they won't go up too much by the end of the year.

When you game on a gaming laptop you have to be plugged in. The battery is only good for steaming the web and light computer tasks. The average battery on a gaming laptop lasts like 4 hours
    https://www.klick.ee/asus-n552vw-vivobook-pro-i5-8gb-1000gb-gtx960
    would this work? Right now this would be the most expensive I could afford.

Or maybe this one: https://www.klick.ee/msi-gp62-i5-8gb-1000gb-128gb-ssd

Just by the specs, would something like this be okay?

When you game on a gaming laptop you have to be plugged in. The battery is only good for steaming the web and light computer tasks. The average battery on a gaming laptop lasts like 4 hours

I know, I have a 7 year old laptop, the battery is long dead :D I'm fine with it. I have my things on my laptop which I need everywhere where I can plug it in. ;)
    edited February 2017
    https://www.klick.ee/asus-n552vw-vivobook-pro-i5-8gb-1000gb-gtx960
    would this work? Right now this would be the most expensive I could afford.

Or maybe this one: https://www.klick.ee/msi-gp62-i5-8gb-1000gb-128gb-ssd

Just by the specs, would something like this be okay?

The game requires an i5 quad on desktop so you need a more powerful processor on laptop. Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. You want an i7 processor on laptop

https://www.klick.ee/asus-gl752vw-i7-8gb-1000gb-128gb-ssd-dos this is the same price as below computer but has two hard drives which is better

https://www.klick.ee/msi-gl72-i7-8gb-1000gb

what does a weaker processor do to the gameplay, how does it affect it?
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    what does a weaker processor do to the gameplay, how does it affect it?

It will make it super laggy and you will get a lot of freezes that some simmers are getting right now after City Living.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
    Hm, okay, I might be able to buy the ones you suggested if they're still in the shop at that time. Would you mind telling me what kinda processor I have on the current Asus one, the i5 or even worse?
    laptops with HQ and MQ processors are quad core. If your laptop has a U" processor they are only dual core.

You want a laptop hardware that is equal to recommended requirements on desktop. That means your laptop hardware has to be more powerful. This game is not complete. As they add more and more , the game will become more powerful. You are stuck with the specs you buy on laptop so if the laptop is under requirements you could run into trouble running the game as more and more gets added

When your ready to buy is the time to look for a laptop. They are always coming out with new hardware and prices change. What laptops are available now my not be available when your ready to buy
    Okay... I went to the computer shop today and asked for a laptop with the i7 thingy.
    Is this a good laptop for Sims? I don't play anything else, if I do then it requires a lot less stuff than Sims. I know this much. And yeah, Sims is all I'm looking at right now.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member

I do not think this has a dedicated graphics card. i cannot seem to find the exact link for that model number.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

edited April 2017
    https://pood.telia.ee/productInfo/24/sulearvuti-dell-inspiron-15-5000-(5567)/272726556?filter=1339-16807_1352-13953_983-5043
    I think it's this one.

yeah you gotta copy paste it. Just click on the "tehnilised andmed" for the important stuff