Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Speed Build

I want to try to do a speed builds but the easiest way at the moment.

I'm using my laptop (gaming PC is on the way) so I just want some free software for it. I'm not going to do a voice over but maybe some music.

What's the best way to go about it? I literally just want to build, speed it up, and then put music to it.

TIA!

Comments

• anneloes740anneloes740 Posts: 171 Member
    I use OBS to record, which is a a free program to use. If you don't want to do heavy editing just use movie maker. It's easy to use and you'll be able to put music with the video and speed it up! It's what I've been using myself untill I can maybe afford a better editing program :)
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @anneloes740 - Thank you so much for your help! Does movie maker have music in it or do I have to hunt for it outside of it?
    edited February 2017
    Double post :blush:
  • pepper090889pepper090889 Posts: 3,354 Member
    I also use OBS for speed builds and edit in Movie Maker. I get my music from No Copyright Sounds on YouTube. It's free to use and isn't copyrighted, they just ask that you include their credits in your description. But there are plenty of other similar channels that offer free to use music if you prefer something different.
    ofNj4ul
    @pepper090889 - thank you so much. Is OBS easy to use? Does it run in the background of the game? I'm slightly computer illiterate.

Is it Windows Movie Maker you use?
    @aricarai Yep. I use Windows Movie Maker.

As for OBS, it's pretty simple once you have all of the settings configured. I had to look up a couple of tutorials myself, but once it's set up all you really need to do is start the program, start your game, and when you're ready to record just press the hotkey you set for recording and then you use the same button to stop recording. The hardest part is just finding the right settings that work for you and your computer.

It does run in the background of the game, but I haven't had any problems with lag from it and I'm on a laptop that's not exactly ideal for gaming.
    ofNj4ul
    @pepper090889 - You little legend, you- thank you!

Does Movie Maker have sound effects or is that something I would need to look for like music?

I'll have a look at OBS settings this weekend!
    @aricarai I don't think it has sound effects included. I haven't seen any at least. o.o
    ofNj4ul
  • anneloes740anneloes740 Posts: 171 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    @anneloes740 - Thank you so much for your help! Does movie maker have music in it or do I have to hunt for it outside of it?

I also get my music of the same channel that @pepper090889 posted! You can also just look on the creator studio on youtube and look through their audio library.
    @pepper090889 @anneloes740 - I think I've got everything set up properly for OBS. I am still watching a couple more tutorials.

Just a quick question about the source panel. If you add an image (say your logo) to the bottom right screen, do you do that before you start recording or do you do that in the editing program?

And do you have to set up a new scene for every video or can you use the same one?

I'm having a little issue with game capture. When I'm in full screen mode, it captures darker than it should. When I tested window mode and it captures normally. Is there a way to capture in full screen mode so it isn't so dark?
    @aricarai If it's the Sims 3, unfortunately it has to be recorded in windowed mode for normal lighting. I would just mess around with the window size options in game until you find one that fits the preview screen. [It varies depending on your monitor size] I've never had to make new scenes in my experience. It usually just automatically does everything when I have the recorder and game window open. If you're recording different games [i.e. Sims 3 and Sims 4] you would need to tweak or set up a new source, but I've never had to set up a separate scene. Just be sure to check that the game is showing in the preview window before recording [I've made that mistake a few times].

For a logo, you can do that through YouTube by going to Video Manager > Channel > Branding. It will automatically add it to all of your videos, new and old. If you want it to be part of the video, then you'd need to do that before recording. I don't think Windows Movie Maker has the ability [at least not that I've seen and when I researched it was not possible].
    ofNj4ul
    Thank you @pepper090889 - guess I'll have to use windowed mode then...so hideous! :lol:
  • FruUtterFruUtter Posts: 128 Member
    I have a question about speeding up the video in OBS. How do you do that? I am loking everywere and can not find it. Any help is welcome!
    @FruUtter - I don't think you can in OBS. You'll need an editing program.
    yes I noticed that ^^ What editing programs do you use, ppl?
    I use Filmora which has a one time cost, but there's also things like HitFilm Express which is free.
    oh gooody!! thanks a million sug