Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

YA vs Adult?

DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
Don't you guys find weird, that we have both life stage, that aren't much (or any?) different from each other (if you didn't notice the title: I'm talking about yound adults and "adults"), in terms of gameplay field?

Do you guys think that the devs should remove that YA life stage and add up it's lifespan to the Adult's instead? Or do you guys have idea on how Young Adult could be improved? If so, post them down the comments below.

Ideas:
*Midlife Crisis for YA.
*Bigger difference in appearance.
*Fertility chance difference.
*Adult sims should be more family driven.
-Focusing more on their kid's needs over theirs.
-Having whims that focus on bonding and building/growing their family, working on their careers.
*If story progression is added back adults could be the age that most sims would start getting married and having kids.
-As well as start getting whims to get married and have kids.
*Adults could also get sad when they see couples or kids as they get closer to becoming elders if they themselves don't have someone or kids. --Obviously non-committal and hates children sims wouldn't be affected by some of those.
*YA would be more self driven.
-Focusing on themselves and what they needs.
-Having whims to experience life, have fun, make friends, and get into relationship.
*YA could be more likely to decline marriage proposal and be less willing to accept "try for baby".
-Having high romance and friendship would be the only way to really increase your odds of acceptance and family oriented sims would be more than willing to accept.
NNpYlHF.jpg
Post edited by DragonCat159 on

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    20-60 year olds definitely need two life stages for me. They have to be more defined and different than they are in Sims 4.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I hope they'll differentiate by more than they do now - which is by appearance and by who gets attracted to venues (more YAs at nightclubs, more Adults at bars). I also like being able to limit a club to younger adults or older but not elder adults. Speaking as an Adult, I do like that there's an appearance shift partway between not-Teen-anymore and Elder. Not keen on the Sims 3 "midlife crisis" back, but I could live with it if I could cheat it away for individuals where it makes no sense to in my headcanon. Not really sure what else would make for meaningful new differentiating gameplay. Lower fertility chances, maybe?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • ThatAwkwardSimmerThatAwkwardSimmer Posts: 88 Member
    YAs and Adults should have two different life stages, in my opinion. It gives them more time to live and raise a family! :tongue:
    FlawlessFirstBernesemountaindog-max-1mb.gif
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited January 2017
    YAs and Adults should have two different life stages, in my opinion. It gives them more time to live and raise a family! :tongue:

Wouldn't have been better if they made longer life span for adults? All it does, for the most part, tells the simmer "Hey look! I'm a young adult? How cool is that!".
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    One life stage is actually enough for me, if there is no difference in gameplay. Two is good, but it would be nice if there was the "mid-life crisis" that the Sims 3 had, otherwise why have two life stages (other than to help differentiate ages when looking for a spouse, for example).

With the excellent toddlers, I'm actually realizing that there does need to be more depth with Teens. I personally do not want another "pre-teen" age (especially if the Teen stage stays as long as it currently is). I just want Teens to be more fleshed out and slightly younger looking and acting. I know the devs said they decided to focus their resources on more animations etc. rather than reducing the height but in actuality reducing the height would really help. That and adding acne, mood swings, etc. A Generations-style EP adding a school with a gym where you can have a Prom "event" with goals, bringing back slow dancing, more unique interactions and animations between parents and teens... sorry I've digressed... !!
    edited January 2017
    I hope they'll differentiate by more than they do now - which is by appearance and by who gets attracted to venues (more YAs at nightclubs, more Adults at bars). I also like being able to limit a club to younger adults or older but not elder adults. Speaking as an Adult, I do like that there's an appearance shift partway between not-Teen-anymore and Elder. Not keen on the Sims 3 "midlife crisis" back, but I could live with it if I could cheat it away for individuals where it makes no sense to in my headcanon. Not really sure what else would make for meaningful new differentiating gameplay. Lower fertility chances, maybe?

Lower fertility chances for young or older? I think I know the correct answer, but I need clarification :p
    NNpYlHF.jpg
    edited January 2017
    (I'd rather call the stages adult and middle aged by the way, because there's some confusion as YA in Sims 2 means something different than it does in Sims 2)
    I do like the idea of the midlife crisis, because I like anything that sets a life stage apart, but I can't say I use it much. The looking in the mirror, counting wrinkles, and checking the love handles I like as a detail. I also like how midlife crisis doesn't happen to every sim, though it sometimes does feel off that the game decides for me which sim will have one (which is probably what you mean when you say you'd want to be able to cheat it away..., isn't it a moodlet by the way?). So basically I like the idea, I wonder though if they could do it in better ways. More fun than just getting wishes to earn LTR points for sims that - for me anyway - already have all the LTR they can wish for. It's nice the game hands ideas, challenging the player to make the middle aged do certain things some middle aged do. I'd like the lower fertility idea, and no more fertility after x days into the life stage.

I also want a much bigger difference in appearance, sims really looking older.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited January 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    (I'd rather call the stages adult and middle aged by the way, because there's some confusion as YA in Sims 2 means something different than it does in Sims 2)
    I do like the idea of the midlife crisis, because I like anything that sets a life stage apart, but I can't say I use it much. The looking in the mirror, counting wrinkles, and checking the love handles I like as a detail. I also like how midlife crisis doesn't happen to every sim, though it sometimes does feel off that the game decides for me which sim will have one (which is probably what you mean when you say you'd want to be able to cheat it away..., isn't it a moodlet by the way?). So basically I like the idea, I wonder though if they could do it in better ways. More fun than just getting wishes to earn LTR points for sims that - for me anyway - already have all the LTR they can wish for. It's nice the game hands ideas, challenging the player to make the middle aged do certain things some middle aged do. I'd like the lower fertility idea, and no more fertility after x days into the life stage.

Yeah, I found that midlife crisis seemed the norm in Sims 3. But I don't see how they could design a reasonable system to predict which Sims I think would get one and which wouldn't, you know what I mean? I do sometimes see my peers going through this sort of thing - worrying if they'll have accomplished anything by retirement, etc. Now and then someone buys that flashy motorcycle. But there's just not a whole lot of gameplay there, in the end.

I'd like to see Sims worry more over their appearance, but then I also am not keen on how that normalizes Appearing Adult = Bad. One of the things I like about Sims is that they don't discriminate based on appearance. They don't feel bad because they need glasses, or because they're not skinny. So why should they feel bad because their skin or hair aged? (FWIW, I see my peers embracing their grey/white hair or taking advantage of it to dye fun colours without needing a bleach step.)

So yeah, not so helpful.

Maybe if some Sims showed a bit more aging earlier than others? More early grey in particular. Even if it just happens at the turns-Adult moment. (We don't all play with aging on.) Almost everyone my husband and I went to school with is going grey (he's not, but he's got weird hair genes).
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    Mid-life crisis would be nice. It would also be nice if adult sims were more family driven. Focusing more on their kid's needs over theirs. Having whims that focus on bonding and building/growing their family, working on their careers. If story progression is added back adults could be the age that most sims would start getting married and having kids. As well as start getting whims to get married and have kids. They could also get sad when they see couples or kids as they get closer to becoming elders if they themselves don't have someone or kids. Obviously non-committal and hates children sims wouldn't be affected by some of those.

YA would be more self driven. Focusing on themselves and what they needs. Having whims to experience life, have fun, make friends, and get into relationship. YA could be more likely to decline marriage proposal and be less willing to accept "try for baby". Having high romance and friendship would be the only way to really increase your odds of acceptance and family oriented sims would be more than willing to accept.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    To my knowledge, limited though it may be, YA's don't suffer from midlife crisis, per se. They may panic when hitting age 30, but it's not nearly as severe as an older adult whose life is fast slipping away, as they see it, and they haven't accomplished what they set out to do. This is where the random guy goes out and buys that sports car he can ill afford, and/or finds a young honey to make him feel younger. As a woman, I haven't experienced anything of the kind. I rejoice in being my age, and am one of the lucky ones who feels fulfilled. I'll leave it to those who know what a woman in such a crisis does.

Personally, I like the YA age. As someone else stated it gives ample time to build that family. As for game play, send your YAs to the clubs, and the adults to the bars/lounges, if that's what you like. I tend to dress my teens in more outrageous clothing and then they grow more sophisticated once they leave school.

Yeah, I found that midlife crisis seemed the norm in Sims 3. But I don't see how they could design a reasonable system to predict which Sims I think would get one and which wouldn't, you know what I mean? I do sometimes see my peers going through this sort of thing - worrying if they'll have accomplished anything by retirement, etc. Now and then someone buys that flashy motorcycle. But there's just not a whole lot of gameplay there, in the end.

I'd like to see Sims worry more over their appearance, but then I also am not keen on how that normalizes Appearing Adult = Bad. One of the things I like about Sims is that they don't discriminate based on appearance. They don't feel bad because they need glasses, or because they're not skinny. So why should they feel bad because their skin or hair aged? (FWIW, I see my peers embracing their grey/white hair or taking advantage of it to dye fun colours without needing a bleach step.)

So yeah, not so helpful.

Maybe if some Sims showed a bit more aging earlier than others? More early grey in particular. Even if it just happens at the turns-Adult moment. (We don't all play with aging on.) Almost everyone my husband and I went to school with is going grey (he's not, but he's got weird hair genes).

We all age at different rates. I've been told for years I don't look my age. Sadly, not as often lately, but as for my hair going gray. It isn't. I'm going white, but only a little bit. Mostly at my temples and underneath my bangs. I do have a fabulous long, white streak in the back that when I braid my hair it intertwines in a pleasing way. But, you can still tell I have red hair. I have no desire to color the white out. I have a few wrinkles but nothing to cry over. I've been blessed. So, if EA were to do something about it, I would much rather it be something I can add in cas.fulleditmode, myself. When I think the time is right. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited January 2017
    Speaking of graying I think it would be nice if adults woke up one morning with graying hair. I think it's weird how they can go from solid blond and then age up to elder and have white hair. Graying in late adult hood would be nice, also more hair color option :smiley:. They could also start getting for forehead wrinkles and laugh lines. I know some players won't like that as they like their adults to look like instagram models all the time so giving our sims the option to use anti-aging cream to combat the effects of time could help. Maybe also allow us to dye our hair. I know we can easily change it in cas but you can also easily change your make up in cas and yet they added the option to apply make-up and people (some) love it. They could also add in even more hair colors only available through dyeing ones hair.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    The middle part, Should depend on play style/aspirations... Like if starting a family is your aspiration.
    -Having whims that focus on bonding and building/growing their family, working on their careers.
    *If story progression is added back adults could be the age that most sims would start getting married and having kids.
    *Adults could also get sad when they see couples or kids as they get closer to becoming elders if they themselves don't have someone or kids. --Obviously non-committal and hates children sims wouldn't be affected by some of those.

the last two lines Maybe Sims with the Jealous Trait who see couples or two people with kids, will get sad if they don't have someone/kids

I mean, I ignore my sim's whims now regardless. but I feel like it should be the aspirations that carry those whims, not so much the traits.
    For example if your aspiration is to be a big happy family, or successful lineage and you, the player are idling, on the aspiration a whim should pop up, when they see/interact with another family's toddler/child/teen

Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Shades302Shades302 Posts: 1,072 Member
    There is already a Fertility chance difference for Young Adult vs Adult.
    I have experienced this many times, it is a little annoying, where if one of my sims in the relationship is an adult, and one is a young adult or both are adults, they have a much lower chance of conceiving a child then they would if they were both young adults.
    Z6gfpiv.png?1
  • JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    Mid-life crisis for young adults? :D If you're having a mid-life crisis in your 20's-30's then something is seriously wrong with you.
    I agree.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm...

Not sure if I would like all my adult sims to have midlife crises and such. I wish there was aspirations that was tied to different ages. I often use aspirations as a way to decide what kind of moodlets I want my sim to have.

Then a Adult-Apiration could be "Achieving Life Goals" with moodlets that are career-focused or family bonding-focused. Just like we have the different aspirations for vampires. I have so many sims that choose not to have kids so for me it would feel strange if all of a sudden they wanted them. Having different adult aspirations give us a way to chose our path for our sims.

Some would perhaps go looking for another sim to start a family with, others would focus on their careers or hobbies perhaps.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member

So yeah, not so helpful.

@luthienrising - I can totally related to the bold.

I found a grey hair on the crown of my head before I turned 30, plucked it out; two came back; plucked them out; one came back. I've now got grey ombre hair, with my one little grey hair on the crown of my head. I get jealous when I see people with beautiful grey hair and if my stylist tries to cover up the grey; I'm like NO THANK YOU!

Anyway, slightly OT, but I've embraced my one grey hair and taken it further! :mrgreen:
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I like the two separate stages. I do think there should be some differences though. Perhaps an adult sim could become more career focused if they haven't quite reached the top of their career, if they have children they could want them to be successful in school. I actually really like the mid life crisis in the sims 3. I haven't had it for a while. I just ignore it if I don't want them to have it and I would do the same in 4.

It would be good if adult sims looked different too.
  • RekatihwRekatihw Posts: 8 New Member
    LOL I just make them vampires give them all the powers and cheat the weaknesses to be YOUNG FOREVERRRRRRRRR
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Don't you guys find weird, that we have both life stage, that aren't much (or any?) different from each other (if you didn't notice the title: I'm talking about yound adults and "adults"), in terms of gameplay field?

Do you guys think that the devs should remove that YA life stage and add up it's lifespan to the Adult's instead? Or do you guys have idea on how Young Adult could be improved? If so, post them down the comments below.

Ideas:
    *Midlife Crisis for YA.
    *Bigger difference in appearance.
    *Fertility chance difference.
    *YA would be more self driven.
    -Focusing on themselves and what they needs.
    -Having whims to experience life, have fun, make friends, and get into relationship.
    *YA could be more likely to decline marriage proposal and be less willing to accept "try for baby".
    -Having high romance and friendship would be the only way to really increase your odds of acceptance and family oriented sims would be more than willing to accept.

I like your ideas
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I don't find those two life stages weird as they presently are, but then I also am somewhat the sane at almost 40 as I was a 20.
  • rjhenn14rjhenn14 Posts: 601 Member

Lower fertility chances for young or older? I think I know the correct answer, but I need clarification :p

Biologically the adults should have lower fertility, but I think someone above posted that there does seem to already be a lowered fertility chance with adults

Also, I think that adults look slightly older than young adults, they carry their weight differently, seem to gain it faster, have beginning of wrinkles (crows feet) on their face. What I would like to see if like you said, more whims and moodlets having to do with their age... such as family wants, career goals, just things having to do with better being settled.

Otherwise I do think having the two life-stages makes sense and is completely necessary. The way I play them is that I spend much of the young adult time “self-focused”, getting their career started, going out a lot, spending time with friends, dating, etc... and beginning to settle down as they get closer to adult. Generally by the time my young adult has reached adult they are married with an established career and may have one or two young children (barely child age or younger)

So, I supposed it’s also how you play those ages as well!!

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I personally do not want mid life crisis. I found it more annoying than entertaining in Sims 3. My Sims are usually running a muck through their YA life and as they are nearing Adulthood they are starting to settle down and start families.

I wouldn't mind a change in fertility or gain weight faster though.
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I personally do not want mid life crisis. I found it more annoying than entertaining in Sims 3. My Sims are usually running a muck through their YA life and as they are nearing Adulthood they are starting to settle down and start families.

I wouldn't mind a change in fertility or gain weight faster though.
    Whoever told you a midlife crisis is entertaining? It’s not, it’s a crisis. After 40 you realize this is it. The kids no longer take everything you say for granted, your partner appears not to be as amazing and adventurous as you thought he’d be (the new neighbour is so much more interesting), you realize your body is becoming more and more disobedient. Actually I think they did it very well for Sims 3: not every sim suffers from it and if they do you (the player) always have the ability to fight it. Life just isn’t always a ball. I love to see that back in the game. Settling down and starting a family is something most people do in their twenties, when they’re young adults.
    5JZ57S6.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top