Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Paranormal Reads

Comments

• NymphieaNymphiea Posts: 254 Member
    edited February 2017
    @DreamsInPixels
    Petal is my 2nd fave for sure. She's a LOT stronger than I thought she'd be, truthfully!

@LadyLobster
    It is! They constantly just do what they want and tell me how I'm going to write this. It's nice, though! I never get bored! And Petal breaks my heart. It doesn't help that, like, Sergio's ghost keeps calling her every other hour asking her on a date. I might make another save and put them together to be happy. They're meant to be.

SPEAKING OF, I wrote a new chapter!!
    Gen1.png
    Come check out my Sims 4 legacy story! We're on generation one currently.
    It's Just Another Story
  • cshanercshaner Posts: 2,620 Member
    edited February 2017
    Hey all! I've read and love @DreamsInPixels and @LadyLobster stories.

I believe I may enjoy being part of this circle of you'll have me. My story is Blood that Binds. My forum thread is here:
    Blood that Binds

I'll catch up this week for each of the other two participants stories. I was briefly involved in a story circle last year but it wasn't very active. I must admit I'm an avid reader and participant as both the above mentioned authors can attest.

Anyway my story is only 3 published chapters (and a preview of my coven) at this time and I publish one per week as I have a ton of other commitments right now.

Once I'm done with my degree I may up my time I spend writing.

So yeah... I'd like to join if you think I'll be a good fit!
    covensig800x200.jpg?w=676
    SimFluence - Where Sims Influence the Story
    Blood that Binds: A Vampire Coven Challenge Updated 04/22/2017
    Life Under Construction: A Drifter Challenge House 001 Completed 1/29/17 | Orphan Challenge: Harkins Family Completed 11/12/16
    Origin ID: cshaner07
  • LadyLobsterLadyLobster Posts: 4,133 Member
    @cshaner Yay, join us, join us! Everyone's so great and their stories are great and your story is great and you are great so clearly this is a 100% perfect match. <3 I can definitely attest to the avid reader and participant part too!
    uduVcAP.png
    @LadyLobster yay! I agree I'm already on chapter 6 of the curse legacy.
    Life Under Construction: A Drifter Challenge House 001 Completed 1/29/17 | Orphan Challenge: Harkins Family Completed 11/12/16
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    Yes! @cshaner !! One of us, one of us! :D
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
    AAAAH welcome to the circle friendo!
    Gen1.png
    It's Just Another Story
    @Yushika thank you! I am caught up to your story now too! Just one more to be caught up with everyone!
    @IchigoUsagi i couldn't find a link to your story the link on page one just reloaded this thread for me!

I'll read it as soon as I get a link! I'll let CT know on the circles thread to add me to this one if that's ok too!
  • IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    @cshaner Welcome! I'll add your story right away and try to fix my link.
  • IchigoUsagiIchigoUsagi Posts: 822 Member
    Added and fixed! Now off to get caught up on everyone's stories!
    @IchigoUsagi yay!! Thank you! Running off to read your story too!
    I'll def catch up on your story later tonight!!!
    Gen1.png
    It's Just Another Story
    @IchigoUsagi @Yushika @LadyLobster @DreamsInPixels
    Ok, caught up on all of your stories. I must say I am so happy. I truly enjoy every one of the stories. You know sometimes some people's writing just may not be 'your' cup of tea, but I can say with sincerity that I thoroughly enjoy all four of your strories!

A bit about me, I love vampire stories. I'm a big fan of Buffy and Angel from back in the day, I also liked Trueblood on HBO and I'll admit to being a fangirl of Twilight. I know she's not a great writer, but I loved most of her background characters.

I'm a full time working professional and a part time student in a degree program. I will finish my Degree this summer. I write in the limited spare time I get. I also write a Drifter challenge but I play through and write and then release all the chapters daily when I have them all written. My vampire story Blood that Binds will be an ongoing story that I hope to last for many generations. It's not a legacy really, but vampires and humans will come and go through the story. I'm doing a coven challenge created by Rainydayz179 I'm taking a lot of liberty with the challenge though for the sake of the story. I think the framework of the challenge provides a lot of interesting plot and conflict. But there are going to be other elements I want to explore in the story.

My story will be very dark at times. There will be sensuality, brutality and some violence. The story is overall PG-13 (ish) but will be mature at times. Those chapters will have a warning at the top.

Anyway - I'm glad to be part of this community and even more happy to have found a relatively fresh circle to join. Sometimes jumping into a story with 4 generations and 100s of chapters can be very daunting.
    One of the things that I think works really well about this group (aside from me also loving everyone's stories and creativity) is how relatively new all of the stories are. Right now, it doesn't feel overwhelming to catch up on everyone's chapters! Though I think I might have the most chapters at the moment after writing like a demon for this past month, oops. But I know that some people's stories have over a hundred chapters, especially with legacies, and you're right that that can feel very intimidating if you're just joining, @cshaner. This is my very first reading circle and I love it so much already.

Hopefully we'll get our final member before we've all written hundreds of chapters and scare them away! >:)

I was a fan of Buffy and Angel too! I've only caught a handful of True Blood episodes though, and I've never read/seen Twilight. I've read some other vampire stuff though, of varying quality, but I love fantasy and paranormal stuff in general. When I was a kid, I'd go to the library and seek out every single book with a unicorn sticker on the spine.

Congratulations on being so close to finishing your degree! I'm glad you still have some time to write. I'd really like to try a challenge sometime, especially since I miss actually playing the game, and it does seem to provide a good framework for an interesting story. I know my creativity works best when I have some limits or guidelines--one of my favorite English assignments in school was being given a list of vocab words and having to write a story with them. It's much easier than being given a completely blank page or canvas!

I'm not scared away by darkness in stories, so I look forward to seeing yours evolve.

Again, welcome to the circle! I'm so glad you joined. <3
    uduVcAP.png
    edited February 2017
    @LadyLobster awwww :heart: i really feel this is a place I fit! Not only because I love all your stories but also because you all seem fairly active here.

I'm not sure how active you are all planning to be in this circle but I plan to be fairly active stalking checking in on this thread everyday. or more

I'd love to get our thoughts on a topic I saw posted in the fall on the team hashtag reading circle thread. The question revolved around favorite character vs character that occupies a lot of time and effort in your thoughts. Is the character that you like and relate to most your "favorite" or is the character, even if you don't like the character or the actions but they occupy a lot of time in your thoughts actually your favorite?

I'll start:

@LadyLobster im pretty sure that Lysander is my favorite character in your story. I like his personality I like his depth. I like that even though he had no interest in being a butler and at least at first actively hated his mistress he still did his job well, he didn't complain and eventually even felt a sympathy to Bianca. This would mean I think that Lysander is my favorite (him being hot has a lot nothing to do with it)

But then we have Bianca. Bee actually occupies a lot more of my time and thoughts. Her selfishness and her inability to see beyond her own needs and desires are at war with how she feels about protecting Byron for example. She also is callous to Graham though I cannot help but wonder if Graham wasn't pursuing her, would that bother her or make her relieved? And while she has Lysander on a pedestal he's a "thing" to her to be admired and used for selfish pleasure as well. So while I don't like the character as well, thinking on her motivations is so interesting to me.

@Yushika omg omg I despise Dante. But I am so fascinated by him. What makes him tick how did he get the way he is now? He takes, he uses, he gives zero thought to others. He's manipulative and I would go so far as to say evil having killed poor Sergio right in front of Petal but daaaannnnggg he's interesting! I'd like to say I'm most sympathetic to Jezebel because of her forced marriage and never able to make her own choices. And having to go along with what her obviously stronger husband has to say.

@IchigoUsagi hmmm having just finished your story last night I'd have to say the one I'm thinking the most about is Acacia. I doubt she's my favorite I think Vincent in his poor taken from his home and all familiar is the one that reaches out to the reader, but as far as my thoughts, I'm very interested in Acacia and where she's headed in this legacy. Her moment of trance like quality where she was repeating all the snide remarks etc was so interesting.

@DreamsInPixels honestly I think the one I think about the most in your story is truly my favorite too. Guinevere is proud, strong, sympathetic and also very interesting too. She's the one I think about the most. Who's on her side, who is a challenge for her, will she choose Caleb or will she and Gunther somehow make it work even though they are engaged to others now. So well done you! Favorite is truly favorite here!

So yeah. I know for my story there aren't enough yet to really comment on your favorite vs who you think about the most. Perhaps you can just provide a bit of feedback in what you see so far as Elizabeth's strengths and if you have any suggestions on how to really make that strength shine.
    @cshaner Thank you for your comments on Lysander and Bianca! I know that Lysander starts off almost as a cipher at first, since we see him almost entirely from Bianca's point-of-view, and you're right--she definitely views him very much as a "thing" that she wants and can't have. Byron is the only one who really calls her out on it at all (though he's too chicken to bring it up much), when he's like, What do you even really know about him...? I'm glad that despite the fact he got his first chapter relatively late and his personality is much more understated than the others, you still really appreciate him!

Bianca is so...Bianca. My friend hates reading her chapters and groans every time he sees it's hers, LOL. He says her chapters are "so plum soapy" but I think he dislikes her as a character too. I know every character I write can't be lovable or even likable, but I don't want them to be completely reprehensible despite their (often major) flaws. Or at the very least, they better be entertaining or interesting! I'm glad to know Bianca occupies your thoughts but not your heart.

I just reread all of your chapters so far, and I'm sure there's a lot of Elizabeth in your head that isn't on the page just yet--it's the same for me with my characters, and I'm 23 chapters in already. Like I commented before, I like how she's not ashamed to rock those fangs like a lot of vampires--she knows what she is, and she's 100% cool with it. She's had time to come to terms with that, and yet I still see room for her to really understand what it means to be a vampire matriarch and how to survive on her own. I also look forward to seeing how she grows her coven. I imagine other vampires will have different thoughts and approaches regarding vampirism, and I'm curious about her relationships with others. I'm glad to see some of her actions have consequences too--she's a vampire, yes, but vampires like Caleb will still call her on her misbehavior.

This past weekend, we sort of tried a similar topic exploring what we thought about everyone's characters so far, picking out a handful to write about. I'm not sure if you read those thoughts yet, since they'd be spoilers for stories you hadn't gotten a chance to read yet at the time.
    uduVcAP.png
    @LadyLobster Very good point!! I'll go back through the thread and see what everyone thought of everyone else's characters now that I'm all caught up with everyone!!

As for your comments on Elizabeth definitely along the lines you've seen and picked out for her. She's very much not against doing or even appearing to do what needs to be done to get what she wants. She's leaned to play the game in her previous coven and even if her end goal isn't immediate, doing what needs to be done is her MO. ;)

Also I enjoy reading ALL of you characters. I have no bad feelings ever when seeing a character's PoV chapter come up. I like them all. Just as a character Bianca is very selfish and seems out for what she enjoys and brings her happiness which makes me not exactly "like" her not that I don't enjoy exploring the character. Does that make sense? I do like her taste in men and toys and romance novels. Haha!! What I like most is seeing how character's view themselves as well as seeing how others view them. I love that about the changes in Point of View.

Once I have more vampires in my coven I will likely swap PoVs occasionally too. Majority will be from Elizabeth's PoV for a while yet.
    @cshaner I can't wait to see your other characters' PoVs! But I'm really enjoying Elizabeth's so far, so I'm sure I'll enjoy them for the rest of her story.
    cshaner wrote: »
    Just as a character Bianca is very selfish and seems out for what she enjoys and brings her happiness which makes me not exactly "like" her not that I don't enjoy exploring the character. Does that make sense? I do like her taste in men and toys and romance novels. Haha!! What I like most is seeing how character's view themselves as well as seeing how others view them. I love that about the changes in Point of View.
    That definitely makes sense! I'm still entertained by and interested in characters I wouldn't want to have as a friend or even go out for coffee with. (Though I wouldn't mind getting some trashy novel recs from Bianca.) And the "how characters see themselves" vs. "how others see them" is my favorite part of the multiple PoVs--almost all of them like to think of themselves as the protagonist of their own grand story, with everyone else just playing the supporting roles or love interests. And then they all sort of bring misfortune on themselves and each other, but it's all pretty much their own fault.
    uduVcAP.png
    @LadyLobster i also think that as you've said adding the points of view allows the reader to get a fresh take on the character's motivations and emotions that an outsider may not notice.

For me I think when the additional characters arrive (three - maybe four chapters from now) it will be a refreshing change. These initial 5 chapters or so are more world building for me.
    All this talk of different pov makes me so excited to get past the prologue's 3rd person and into 1st person. I kinda regret not doing first person for the prologue but I was trying a different way of writing...and I'm not entirely happy with what I've written. To me, it doesn't feel like it flows well in most chapters. Buuut I've always been my worst critic.
    I think the third-person has been working great so far! And you're not alone in being your own worst critic--I'm the same way. It's always hard to be 100% satisfied with our own creative endeavors, but I know your audience is very much enjoying what and how you write. <3
    uduVcAP.png
    I think the third-person has been working great so far! And you're not alone in being your own worst critic--I'm the same way. It's always hard to be 100% satisfied with our own creative endeavors, but I know your audience is very much enjoying what and how you write. <3

I usually always write first person. So hearing that the third person works, is a relief. The only reason I did it was because of a class. The professor wanted us to write outside of comfort zones. This story came out as soon as it did because I used it to practice lol.

If I end up feeling comfortable with writing 3rd person by the time I get past the prologue, I might scrap the 1st person idea and just stick with 3rd person.
    @DreamsInPixels I think your story is written beautifully in third person!! I wouldn't even know it was outside your comfort zone!!

I have done a bit of the journal entry first person for one of my stories, but I'm trying to stay away from that now.
    @IchigoUsagi @Yushika @LadyLobster @DreamsInPixels

I'd like to discuss outlining.
    - Do you outline?
    - How detailed are your outlines?
    - How far ahead do you plan for a long story like a legacy? Can you (without spoilers) provide an example of how far out your outline currently is?
    - Do you know how your story will end?
    - Anything else you think we may find interesting about your outlining process?

Thanks all, I'm always looking to improve my outlining.

For my Answers:
    I'm writing two stories right now. My Blood that Binds as well as my Drifter House 002 (Life Under Construction).

Outline for BtB is much more sketchy at this point though I have a few "have to happen" plot ideas. The outline for LUC is MUCH more tight. I have all the major events for the generation completely mapped. Pretty much nothing is game driven in this story.

Again with BtB I have two or three pretty major events mapped out so I know how the generation will end but I'm hoping that the strong character profiles I have will really pull the story along. Conflicts will naturally play out between some of the characters as their motivations and morals will propel the conflict and drama.

I feel like I should plan a bit better for BtB. I want everything to have a meaning behind it. "Oh!! So that's why that event was so painful for her!' Etc.

I'll be honest sometimes things will crop up while fingers are on the keyboard and lightning strikes! I seriously sit there like "Whoah!! I had no idea you felt that way!"
    @cshaner I love your questions, as well as the background on your own process. I actually almost asked about how much of BtB is game-driven in the comment section of your blog, but then I was like, is that a silly question considering the site's tagline? But then you went ahead and answered that, thank you!

I'll be honest: Outlining is the bane of my creative existence. And sometimes just my regular existence--whenever I had to write outlines and turn them in, for say, a research paper, I'd write the entire 10-20+ page paper and then write and turn in the outline based on that. LOL.

- Do you outline?
    I WISH. I really, really do. My mind is a hive of chaotic bees that more or less work together in harmony sometimes.

- How detailed are your outlines?
    I don't have outlines, but I do have notes in a Word doc. It has snippets of future dialogue; character details, backstories, relationships etc.; future plot points I'd like to integrate; lots of notes with "IS THIS TOO D.UMB? IT'S D.UMB, ISN'T IT?" in parentheses afterward; and for this story, ideas for setting up scenes and poses I might want to look for. The most I've managed to organize the doc is by separating it into different character sections, rather than chapter sections.

- How far ahead do you plan for a long story like a legacy? Can you (without spoilers) provide an example of how far out your outline currently is?

At any given time, I maybe only have a decent idea of the next two or three chapters, or sometimes none at all until inspiration strikes. This story originally was supposed to be a legacy, and then it became just a one generation thing with a sprawling cast, so it became a thing that really, really should have an outline but unfortunately does not. And shh: after this is finished, I secretly want to start another story with all the nooboos of the many pairings that will result from this story, but already I'm wondering if I could ever possibly love them as much as their parents. Sometimes I have to ctrl+F through my whole story to see if I included something I meant to or not. Organization is not my strong suit...

- Do you know how your story will end?

Maybe? I hope so? Vaguely...? Things shift a lot, to my surprise. And I'm not sure whether to end pre- or post-nooboos.

- Anything else you think we may find interesting about your outlining process?
    As Byron would say, ha ha ha... I'm reminded how my teachers would always give me plum in middle school for having this giant overflowing binder with papers just crammed in there however they'd fit, in a completely random order, warning me that my grades would suffer. And then they were baffled when I still got perfect grades and I'd be like, SEE, I CAN HANDLE MY OWN MESS INSIDE MY HEAD. I'm hoping I'll be able to pull that off with my current story...!
    uduVcAP.png