Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My sim was a live-in nanny

notetoself00xnotetoself00x Posts: 499 Member
Does anyone else do "fake jobs" to make TS4 work life more interesting?

I looked up rates for real life live-in nannies and moved my YA female sim into the Villareal mansion, taking the spare bedroom upstairs.

Since she was technically part of the household, I completely ignored the household funds and kept track (wrote it on paper) of her "balance." I would keep track of how many hours she worked and using the average hourly rate I found online, I would add in her earnings to her balance (on my paper) at the end of each day.

Sometimes I would buy new things for her room or her inventory, so I would then deduct the cost of those items from her balance so that the Villareals weren't paying for her items (other than the initial room furniture that was there).

I moved her to new families every now and then to keep it interesting, all the while having her build skills in her spare time for a career someday. Eventually I got her a house of her own! She "quit" nannying after quite some time and began her career with all of the skills she had built.

At that point, I also added her "balance" from my paper into her household funds using the money cheat.

It wasnt really complicated at all, it's a little extra effort and I found it really fun!

I'm now thinking of having a file with an in-home daycare. Doing a "modifyrelationship" cheat, inviting 3 or 4 toddlers over every morning for however long I want to stay open, and then cheating myself the money I "earn" - charging the average hourly daycare rate per toddler. I saw this daycare idea from someone else on the forums and I'm so excited to try it out!

Do you guys do "fake careers" or just stick to what TS4 has? Share your experience! :)

Edit: just to add this detail - when i did the nanny thing, i left autonomy on and ONLY controlled my sim. I had her interact with the dad on a regular basis, maybe just once every day or so to "check in" and then I would have her wake up, use the bathroom and get dressed, go and wake up both children (i did NOT control them so they only autonomously toileted and showered when they needed to) and cooked breakfast for them, ate with them, saw them off to school, went "off the clock" to go workout, shop, etc until they came home, helped them with homework, played with them, etc, made dinner, ate with the family (including dad usually), hung out with kids a bit more, read to the child, went "off the clock" by 8 or 9pm and either went out drinking with friends or right to bed. I enjoyed it sooo much!

Edit again: here is my pricing system that I came up with (obviously you can do whatever you want!!)
-I found that the average hourly rate for nannies (both live-in and live-out) is about 15/hr in the USA. in TS4, the nanny that we can hire charges 60 + 10/hr. In a normal 8 hour day, that would average out to about 17/hr. I also noted the teen babysitter career in TS4 where the "nanny" rank makes 40/hr. I averaged those 3 numbers and came up with 24 and rounded it off to 25/hr as my "base pay."
-I decided that the base pay would cover 1 child and there would be an additional fee for any other children, any toddlers and any babies. I don't charge for teens because I usually don't do anything for them. I charge an extra 2/hr per additional child (so 25/hr for 1 child, 27/hr for 2 children). An additional 5/hr for every infant. And an additional 10/hr for every toddler.
- overtime (optional) my sim usually ends up being on the clock 60-70 hours a week to make money quicker. After 40 hours I have her make 1.5x her normal rate (this would be base rate PLUS additional charges and THEN multiply by 1.5).

So she is currently nannying for the Bjergsens - 1 teen daughter & 1 child daughter. I also added a toddler daughter. So the child is covered by the 25/hr base pay and the toddler is an extra 10/hr, so she makes 35/hr for the first 40 hours each week, then after that she makes 52/hr (because 35x1.5= 52.5 and i rounded down to just 52).

Again, do whatever you wish!! But if you dont feel like figuring out a payment system feel free to use mine :)
Post edited by notetoself00x on

Comments

• Options
    xXxskulls94xXxskulls94 Posts: 125 Member
    edited January 2017
    Since the release of Vampires, I've had a lot of fun with the whole "vampire family" building. My main sim is a Grand Master Vampire, as is her husband, and both of them have live-in maids and butlers that I switch out occasionally who they use as a constant blood-source. The sims adore them, (kind of like some Fledgling 🐸🐸🐸🐸, shout out O. Butler) and it keeps my house nice and clean :wink: I also tip quite well, a lot of them ended up doing quite well financially!
    23r0ccn.jpg
    u wot m8
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I do that. Old school, I guess. I always have a notepad with me when I play games, tho' I did get quite elaborate with trying to track finances for a single sim in one of my early playthroughs. I even broke out a spreadsheet!
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    To get fake separate money balances, just buy an empty retail lot or restaurant and name is "Sims name's account" e.g John's account.
  • Options
    Fake careers..original topic duh...yeah, I have played a handyman sim and played a private tutor with a sim that was levelled up to 10 in a handful of skills using the mentor trait that can be unlocked as an award. I have also played a ...ahem..potion seller.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    MrMonty96 wrote: »
    To get fake separate money balances, just buy an empty retail lot or restaurant and name is "Sims name's account" e.g John's account.

What a brilliant idea! I am going to do that right now.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    well I have a very dramtic legacy and in at least 4 different cases (two in one generation, and one in a later one and another one in a future generation) has a Cinderella circumstance
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »
    well I have a very dramtic legacy and in at least 4 different cases (two in one generation, and one in a later one and another one in a future generation) has a Cinderella circumstance

Whats the cinderella circumstance??
    Fake careers..original topic duh...yeah, I have played a handyman sim and played a private tutor with a sim that was levelled up to 10 in a handful of skills using the mentor trait that can be unlocked as an award. I have also played a ...ahem..potion seller.

What kind of potions?! Lol
    MrMonty96 wrote: »

Id love to do that! But then theres the cost of the lot id have to pay.. but i could always cheat that money back to them!
  • Options
    nottinghillgatenottinghillgate Posts: 47 Member
    That's such a brilliant idea!! Given the lack of career options in Sims 4 especially, I'm definitely going to try this out (and maybe come up with a few more 'fake' careers of my own)! Thanks for sharing :)
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited January 2017
    MadameLee wrote: »

Whats the Cinderella circumstance??

depends on which generation of the legacy one's on. In Gen 2 there are two girl triplets and one boy triplet Girl 1 is spoiled and makes Girl 2 triplet do all the work (espically after they;re teens). But karma bites Girl 1 and after (Event) Girl 1 has to be the servant (for an entire different set of people). In Gen 3.. the heiress who is the niece of Girl 1&2 above is an an "aggressive" relationship and because everyone thinks she's a thief she was forced to move into her boyfriend's parents' place and in exchange she's suppose to do the chores. In Gen 6 (I'm only finishing up Gen 4 at the moment) her parents (Gen 5) are forced to giver Selene away since of a one-child policy in (Town) and she will be given to her distant cousin and their spouse and when Cousin who is related to her passes away cousin-by-marriage will remarry and then they (not the cousin by marriage's spouse but the Cousin by marriage) will pass away leaving the fomerly new spouse of cousin by marriage having an "extra mouth to feed" and insisting that Selene do the work. Iroincally she will be living in the same basement that her great-great Aunt Carly lived in as a servant and also where her great-grandma lived briefly for awhile when she was in hiding.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    That's such a brilliant idea!! Given the lack of career options in Sims 4 especially, I'm definitely going to try this out (and maybe come up with a few more 'fake' careers of my own)! Thanks for sharing :)

Let me know what you come up with!!
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    I really want to do a self-made librarian/researcher career. Haven't sat down to figure out the details yet but it's on my to-do list.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    A live-in nanny sounds brilliant! I had never thought of such an idea.

My 'fake' careers have only gone as far as painting or gardening and selling the products. Or maybe a carpenter making furniture for people. But never so inventive! I am going to try out the nanny thing for sure, it sounds fun.
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I love this so much! I love playing poor, struggling sims. There's a sense of accomplishment every time they can afford something new. Even if it's a counter lol. Just about everything gives them too much money. I haven't really explored the possibilities with TS4 yet. But in TS3, I'd give them part time jobs, but even that makes too much. I used to use (and still do) family funds cheat to deduct for things that the game provides free of charge like taxi rides. I'd make my own jams, but deduct weekly the cost of the toast and scones. My sims all grow what they intend to eat, but they still have weekly grocery costs for toilet paper, condiments, and other cooking supplies.

But never once did I think about making my own "job" and I love the thought of that. I just made my sims Good so I could donate the excess funds. A whole new world of possibilities just opened up! Thank you!
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    3KNPen wrote: »
    I really want to do a self-made librarian/researcher career. Haven't sat down to figure out the details yet but it's on my to-do list.

Thats a great idea!
    A live-in nanny sounds brilliant! I had never thought of such an idea.

My 'fake' careers have only gone as far as painting or gardening and selling the products. Or maybe a carpenter making furniture for people. But never so inventive! I am going to try out the nanny thing for sure, it sounds fun.

Let me know how you like it!
    I love this so much! I love playing poor, struggling sims. There's a sense of accomplishment every time they can afford something new. Even if it's a counter lol. Just about everything gives them too much money. I haven't really explored the possibilities with TS4 yet. But in TS3, I'd give them part time jobs, but even that makes too much. I used to use (and still do) family funds cheat to deduct for things that the game provides free of charge like taxi rides. I'd make my own jams, but deduct weekly the cost of the toast and scones. My sims all grow what they intend to eat, but they still have weekly grocery costs for toilet paper, condiments, and other cooking supplies.

But never once did I think about making my own "job" and I love the thought of that. I just made my sims Good so I could donate the excess funds. A whole new world of possibilities just opened up! Thank you!

You sound like me! I used to do the same thing in ts3 and even ts4! I wouldnt always play as a poor person but i would pay back the starting funds plus interest, pay travel expenses, groceries, pay for diapers & bottles and tally off every bottle feed & diaper change to see when I'd have to buy more lol. It was all fake and imaginary but makes it so much more life-like.

Creating your own job, whether it be the one I did or even something like a daily maid you can make a low amount! And I find that sims jobs pay much more than RL jobs, so if you just Google what the RL job pays and pay that to your sim, youll probably find that it is painfully realistic! Especially with all of your deductions! :)
  • Options
    I sure will let you know, and thank you so much for sharing this brilliant idea. It has got me so excited about my current game as it will fit in perfectly with my current sim. I just have to wait til I play tonight to find out if she is pregnant or not, cos if she is then that will kind of ruin it.

I might just go back to a previous save if she turns out to be pregnant cos I now have a whole heap of things mapped out for her in my head to do with this nanny idea <3 (yes, I was awake at 2 am this morning planning her life out in my head lol - it's a long time since I had such enthusiasm for ts4 so I am sending you cookies and hugs)
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    I currently have a live-in nanny. I love it!
  • Options
    Just as an aside to this topic. I have always pretty much used a played sim to do some service sims instead of using the in game ones.

If my main sim had a big gathering - party birthday, etc. Afterwards, I would rotate to my 'maid' sim and then visit and cleanup. Same with repair sims, gardening sims, etc.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    bihterbbihterb Posts: 18 New Member
    I totally did that! Mine was a live-in maid, or more like a butler. I only had one sim in my household (she was a teen with always welcomed reward, didn't go to school ever). I made my balance 0 and give her a very cute butler outfit, with gloves and all, then headed to the richest neighbor and kinda started to live there. I put a little room in their house(with cheats).
    She made all meals, gave them massages, fix things, help kids with homeworks ect. Her other outfits were poor looking and she had a day off on sundays I guess. She couldn't eat what she made for them and couldn't use upstairs bathrooms :D
    I remember earning very little money maybe 50 simoleons a day so she sold collectibles on her little rug on her day off to earn more. It was a miserable life and very fun to play :D
    And she made enuogh money to live on her own until becoming young adult.
    She made herself a birthday cake, blowed the candles and quit the job to find a real one :D
  • Options
    aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,098 Member
    Just as an aside to this topic. I have always pretty much used a played sim to do some service sims instead of using the in-game ones.

If my main sim had a big gathering - party birthday, etc. Afterward, I would rotate to my 'maid' sim and then visit and cleanup. Same with repair sims, gardening sims, etc.

oh, that sounds like a lot of loading screens! haha! I have a live-in nanny. She's the only one that I just cheated maxed all her skills at so she can do the repair work, gardening, cleaning, and taking care of the kids. I do have to balance the time that the parents have with the kids also so they have a decent relationship bar with them but usually, when my sim parents come home from work, the nanny is relieved of her duties.
  • Options
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    Just as an aside to this topic. I have always pretty much used a played sim to do some service sims instead of using the in-game ones.

If my main sim had a big gathering - party birthday, etc. Afterward, I would rotate to my 'maid' sim and then visit and cleanup. Same with repair sims, gardening sims, etc.

oh, that sounds like a lot of loading screens! haha! I have a live-in nanny. She's the only one that I just cheated maxed all her skills at so she can do the repair work, gardening, cleaning, and taking care of the kids. I do have to balance the time that the parents have with the kids also so they have a decent relationship bar with them but usually, when my sim parents come home from work, the nanny is relieved of her duties.

Hehe, indeed. Though it did make for some interesting play as you are playing a sim with all that comes with it. I made a kleptomaniac maid that was fun. My repair guy upgraded everything in his house from the parts he got from his 'clients'.

For live in service sims, I had a whole wing dedicated to them when I was running a mansion household that contained 25 sims (modded game)!
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    I just wanted to add that the loading screen issue is not actually that bad, invite the sim over and then use the UI cheat mod to switch to that sim once at the location.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    I sure will let you know, and thank you so much for sharing this brilliant idea. It has got me so excited about my current game as it will fit in perfectly with my current sim. I just have to wait til I play tonight to find out if she is pregnant or not, cos if she is then that will kind of ruin it.

I might just go back to a previous save if she turns out to be pregnant cos I now have a whole heap of things mapped out for her in my head to do with this nanny idea <3 (yes, I was awake at 2 am this morning planning her life out in my head lol - it's a long time since I had such enthusiasm for ts4 so I am sending you cookies and hugs)

Im glad i could help!! Lol i love when people share challenges or differsnt styles of gameplay, it really spices things up! Yeah the only issue i see with the live-in nanny is having your own household. Since you are part of theirs. But im thinking ill just visit the household daily and care for the kids (although idk if ill get a "that is inappropriate" type of thing using their house, etc) and be a live-out nanny when im ready for my own home and household. Hmm... something to think on! Lol
    bihterb wrote: »
    I totally did that! Mine was a live-in maid, or more like a butler. I only had one sim in my household (she was a teen with always welcomed reward, didn't go to school ever). I made my balance 0 and give her a very cute butler outfit, with gloves and all, then headed to the richest neighbor and kinda started to live there. I put a little room in their house(with cheats).
    She made all meals, gave them massages, fix things, help kids with homeworks ect. Her other outfits were poor looking and she had a day off on sundays I guess. She couldn't eat what she made for them and couldn't use upstairs bathrooms :D
    I remember earning very little money maybe 50 simoleons a day so she sold collectibles on her little rug on her day off to earn more. It was a miserable life and very fun to play :D
    And she made enuogh money to live on her own until becoming young adult.
    She made herself a birthday cake, blowed the candles and quit the job to find a real one :D

Hahaha sounds awesome!!!! Thank you for sharing! I might try a file with a butler, outfit and all... thatd be awesome!
    aaronrulz wrote: »

Hehe, indeed. Though it did make for some interesting play as you are playing a sim with all that comes with it. I made a kleptomaniac maid that was fun. My repair guy upgraded everything in his house from the parts he got from his 'clients'.

For live in service sims, I had a whole wing dedicated to them when I was running a mansion household that contained 25 sims (modded game)!

That sounds really fun.... especially klepto maid!
  • Options
    AntidotesAntidotes Posts: 36 Member
    wow, its sounds like a lot of fun adding a bit of detail and realism on your own. Whenever I get bored with the game I always look for tips to make it more interesting and fun, and there are so many creative ideas out there!
  • Options
    I'm starting my sims nanny career tonight - this is the sim, her name is Claire.
    Claire.jpg?dl=0

She is really sweet and loves painting (I might also get her going in photography too), at the moment she lives with her really jealous husband who is giving her a hard time. They have a shabby flat in San Myshuno. They are going to end up getting divorced and he will throw her out onto the street. Then she will be fortunate enough to get a job as a nanny with the Bjergsens in Windenburg, where she will start her career looking after one toddler and little Elsa and will be amazed at her good fortune for getting to live in a luxurious house!

When I am bored of that family, I will move her in with someone else. I plan on giving her loads of toddlers to look after in her career! And I just bought Vampires, so I plan on her unwittingly getting a job with a slightly strange family in a spooky old town at some point...

It will be great, as I can experience the fun of kids and toddlers and move her from town to town so I get lots of different play.
  • Options
    egandreegandre Posts: 659 Member
    I have one sim who I had be an interior designer. I'd design a house and then do a money cheat for her paycheck.