Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about banned words in the gallery

Comments

• TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Cyclelegs wrote: »
    So,I named my sim Valentina Vamp and for some reason I can't have her in the gallery because of her name.I am assuming it is "Vamp" that is the reason for it not being allowed but I don't get why.She's a vampire so I named her and her parent with Vamp as their surname.Hopefully the name will show up on here and someone will have an answer to this question though I'm not expecting a clear answer as to why it is banned.Also,I wasn't sure which category on the forums to put this in and that is why it's in the general discussion section.
    Well I asked on the official EA bugs report pages and Vamp is allowed in the gallery
    "Vamp" is not disallowed. There are many uploads in the Gallery with the name "Vamp". If you are encountering a warning message in your game, perhaps another word is triggering it?
    The post is here:
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/COLLECTION-THREAD-Unjustified-disallowed-words/m-p/5847767#M33651

Weird. I wonder what it was censoring then.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,942 Member

I expected Sodbuster to be banned but I was surprised when it wasn't. It's a name I got from stardew valley. It was better than using green horn for the sim's last name.
  • DarkLeopardWolfDarkLeopardWolf Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm honestly having trouble with names too, and I'm not quite sure what to do. I want to make an Utauloid family (Hopefully people know what Utauloid is...) ...The Utauloids I have tried to make are:
    Teto Kasane
    Tei Sukone
    Defoko / Uta Utane
    Rook Yokune
    Momo Momone
    Ted Kasane
    Ruko Yokune
    Teiru Sukone

Obviously I tried changing Defoko first, but that didn't seem to do anything... I tried looking up alternative meanings for the names, and I found one or two things, so I changed Momo Momone and Rook too, but it still didn't work... I'm pretty sure the problem isn't Utauloid or Kasane Teto, because I have seen those in the gallery before. Does anyone have any insight into why the other names may not be ok?
  • TheLibrarySimTheLibrarySim Posts: 966 Member
    edited March 2017
    According to my 1948 Webster's Unabridged Dictionary:
    vamp n. Short for vampire n. 2; in jocose use, one who uses her charm or wiles to gain admiration or attentions from the opposite sex. Slang
    vamp n. t. To treat as a vamp; to play the vamp with; to beguile into admiration or attentions. To play vampire parts or the part of a vamp. Both Slang
    Neither of these definitions is in my earlier dictionaries (I own a used bookstore. That's why I have so many dictionaries).

In a surprisingly long list of definitions, vamp can also mean:
    1) a short hose (stocking) coming to the calf
    2) the part of a shoe or boot above the sole or welt, and in front of the ankle seam: an upper
    3) something vamped or patched up, especially a literary composition made up of old material, specifically music
    4) to provide, as a shoe, with a new vamp; to revamp; hence, to piece, as any old thing, with a new part; to patch, hence to invent, concoct, to fabricate
    5) to make a vamp to; to improvise
    6)to walk over or tramp alone
    7) a volunteer fireman

7mQr8Yt.jpg
  • AriaSaeryenAriaSaeryen Posts: 70 Member
    edited March 2017
    I've noticed that "Zuko" seems to be banned for some reason. It's the name of a character from Avatar: The Last Airbender and a proper name in the Philippines and China. It's frustrating because I can't keep a single-person household Sim based on the character in my own personal library.
  • simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    I recreated a family from the original sims (unleashed) the H*cks and It was disallowed as inappropriate. I mean....this was a sims family, I had to change their name for it to be allowed which kind of defeats the purpose of recreating.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    Go figure.
    I was replying to a request on this forum for the animal breed of pets you would like to see in a pack. My answer was the dog named
    "C*cker Spaniel" (like Lady the dog in Disney's movie Lady and the Tramp). The site censor substituted the word plum spaniel instead.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    According to my 1948 Webster's Unabridged Dictionary:
    vamp n. Short for vampire n. 2; in jocose use, one who uses her charm or wiles to gain admiration or attentions from the opposite sex. Slang
    vamp n. t. To treat as a vamp; to play the vamp with; to beguile into admiration or attentions. To play vampire parts or the part of a vamp. Both Slang
    Neither of these definitions is in my earlier dictionaries (I own a used bookstore. That's why I have so many dictionaries).

In a surprisingly long list of definitions, vamp can also mean:
    1) a short hose (stocking) coming to the calf
    2) the part of a shoe or boot above the sole or welt, and in front of the ankle seam: an upper
    3) something vamped or patched up, especially a literary composition made up of old material, specifically music
    4) to provide, as a shoe, with a new vamp; to revamp; hence, to piece, as any old thing, with a new part; to patch, hence to invent, concoct, to fabricate
    5) to make a vamp to; to improvise
    6)to walk over or tramp alone
    7) a volunteer fireman

wow! Nice list!
    I knew of 2, 3 and 4, but not 1, 5,6 nor 7.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Probably the best example of Unjustified Banned Words is:

(Dina and Nina Caliente's REAL mother's name from Sims2)

You can't make her for your game or gallery! I think EA doesn't want y'all to know who was their REAL mother!
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    So we can't talk about male birds at all?
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Could somebody please compile a list of banned words so that I don't have to wonder which ones I have to change? That would be helpful.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited November 2017
    I named one of my in-game-borns Snorre, after the guy who wrote down a lot of Viking sagas, (this generation's names are kind of Norse-themed?) and apparently that is an inappropriate word. What. It's just some common Norse name. Why?

Actually I take that back, I don't wanna know why - I'd rather stay ignorant and not know what the heck it might mean in some totally different language irrelevant to my intentions and context, thanks.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    in a begin
    Why EA use list of bannned words?
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    There are so many banned words that it becomes silly, especially considering it's a T game. Some of them are rationale. Most of them are not.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Jenna2376Jenna2376 Posts: 120 Member
    Oh my... I have been trying forever to figure out what the banned word in my sim info box is! I don't know! So annoying, wish they'd highlight the banned word so I don't have to figure it out like I'm trying to figure out some ancient alchemy or something. Sheesh.
  • ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited January 2018
    Um... I have a question. Why is this thread in the Game Packs section? This thread is about banned words on the forums, not about game packs. It should be in the Forum Feedback section, right?
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    Um... I have a question. Why is this thread in the Game Packs section? This thread is about banned words on the forums, not about game packs. It should be in the Forum Feedback section, right?

no
    IS about banned worlds in the gallery, when you want upload creations, it ban certain worlds at household or lot name, or sims names, or description
  • MiaMyaPizzaPieaMiaMyaPizzaPiea Posts: 1 New Member
    The word DDLC is banned. But he word Dokidokiliteratureclub isn’t?
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    Can someone perhaps help me identify a disallowed world? I have the text:

Jake and Mimie are #married. Jake is in the #secretagent #career #diamomdagent branch (lv9 #shadowagent) Mimie has several completed aspirations and #skills #skilled #family #noCC

I don't understand where the error is. I though perhaps shadowagent because I have used all the other ones before but that didn't work. I also considered that perhaps the family name (Killian) was the problem (even though the game says the error is in the description box) but that can't be it either because I could upload their daughter who has the same lastnamne
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    I can only offer suggestions as I don't upload or use hashtags. First, check your spelling of #diamondagent. Also, do hashtags accept parentheses? If not, you may need to add a space after #shadowagent. If it still won't work, you may need to tag EA_Mage.
    I noticed after I posted here that the # for shadowagent didn't work and since it didn't work on the forum I though that that might be it after all (even though I had already tried to remove it earlier and nothing changed). That didn't work.

So I ended up deleting the whole part about his job and then I could upload. Don't know what went wrong since I have been able to use those hashtags before, the only one I haven't used before was shadowagent but like I said, it didnt matter if I removed that one or not. Weird. And even if shadowagent was the error, what is so wrong about it? :smiley:
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited April 2018
    Shadowagent is the culprit, because it has dowage(r) in it which is banned for a tertiary meaning that refers to a woohoo practice.
    When in doubt about the gallery filter, a certain online dictionary that probably counts as adult site and cannot be named here is usually your friend ;)
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Shadowagent is the culprit, because it has dowage(r) in it which is banned for a tertiary meaning that refers to a woohoo practice.
    When in doubt about the gallery filter, a certain online dictionary that probably counts as adult site and cannot be named here is usually your friend ;)

That is so extremely specific it's not even funny.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited April 2018

That is so extremely specific it's not even funny.

I wasn't meant to be funny, i'm just careful not to get imprisoned or banned. You could have sent me a PM or googled it, which would have taken about the same time as typing your complaint.
    Oops, forget it. You meant banning a word for such an obscure secondary meaning isn't even funny anymore, not my comment, right? Sorry for the outburst :'(

Well I guess you learn something new every day XD
    Thanks!