Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Create A World - How it could work

keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
edited January 2017 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
It's no secret that there's a huge demand for more space, and more customisation of worlds in TS4, but how exactly would a Create A World tool work in this game? Well let's think it out.

The worlds in TS4 by their very nature are far too stylised and 'hand-crafted' to be fully customised or built from scratch like you could in previous games, but that doesn't mean it's impossible for some kind of Create A World tool to exist.
We players shouldn't be limited to have to wait for official EA worlds to be released, especially when said worlds only contain a small portion of lots and too much empty space. No, we should have access to a tool that allows us to create our own environments to play in and act out the stories we want to, and also be able to share them to the Gallery with other players.

The following is a step-by-step concept of how I can see a Create A World tool functioning in this game.

Step 1 - Creating the world:

One of the problems with the Create A World tool in TS3 was that it was too long-winded to create a world that looked good and functioned correctly (There were a LOT of issues with Sim routing) and not everyone had the time or motivation to construct a world from scratch. There was also too much skill involved to make it a widespread tool that just anyone could pick up off the bat.

So, to make this tool more accessible to all players, it needs to be straightforward and easy to use. Therefore, I think instead of starting with a flat empty world, there would be a selection of maybe 10-20 pre-set worlds each with the terrain already sculpted, roads already placed, and routable areas already marked out. Straight away this would ease the construction process for a lot of people and it means you'd have more time for decorating (which imo is the fun part of making a world!)
The pre-set worlds would come in various different themes, all with predefined background decor (the cardboard cutouts) that corresponds with that theme, eg. Hills, Forest, Urban, Desert, Beach, Mountains.

tumblr_okcg5fzI6K1tj6sf3o2_540.png
In the Sims 3 you started out with a blank flat world, but in the Sims 4 you'd start with a predefined area to decorate.

From here the customising process would be pretty standard, each world would have plenty of flat space for lot placement and a road to place them on, so you can decide how many of how few lots you want, the ground textures could be changed with terrain paints, as well as being able to decorate the public spaces in between with plants, rocks, furniture, collectable spawners/fishing spots etc. all of this customisation would still allow for some really unique worlds to be built, even with the limitation of having predefined terrain.

But a big concern I've seen mentioned a lot here on the forums is that the towns in this game are divided up into separate neighbourhoods which each act as a small 'world', and that if a Create A World tool were to exist, the players would have to build multiple 'worlds' for each town or settle for just a single 'world' (neighbourhood). I think a way to address this would be to allow for the addition of 2-3 extra neighbourhoods (on top of the base neighbourhood that you'd start with) for each custom world, they'd be chosen from the list of pre-set worlds so you can mix and match different terrains, and they could be edited, added or removed at any time during the world-building process. However if you only wanted a single neighbourhood like Magnolia Promenade or Forgotten Hollow, then that would be an option as well.

Step 2 - The Map Screen:

Once the world has been decorated and is to the player's liking, it's time to create the map screen, and that's when things get a little more tricky.
As I understand it, the way the map screen works is that all of the lots in each neighbourhood are rendered onto a flat plain and then the background map is drawn by the artists to fit around the lots. This is a little undesirable for a community tool, when not everyone has access to a drawing programme like Illustrator or Photoshop, but there is a way around it. The first option would be a selection of pre-drawn maps that correspond to the theme and layout of the pre-set worlds, and then the player would adjust the positioning of the rendered lots to fit the map.

tumblr_okcg5fzI6K1tj6sf3o3_1280.png
The first picture shows one of the predrawn map screens, but as you can see the rendered lots don't fit with the layout. The second picture shows the rendered lots on a flat plain that can be rotated and readjusted. The third picture shows the lots now fitting with the layout of the map screen. The fourth picture shows an alternative blank map screen.

The alternative is that the map screen would be blank and appear as just the rendered lots on a coloured gradient background. Doing the latter could mean that players are able to use a 3rd-party drawing programme like Photoshop to drawn their own map screens if they dislike the blank default background. Obviously not everyone would be able to make their own map screens, but I've got a project in the works at the moment where we're creating our own maps, so if this was an option then I'm sure there are plenty of creative Simmers in the community that would help out other players by drawing them custom map screens for their worlds.

Step 3 - The World Icon:

The final hurdle is that all worlds have their own distinct animated icon, which are not easy to create (trust me, I've tried!) so clearly it wouldn't be an option for everyone to create their own icons. So again, there are a few ways around this, the first is that there would be a selection of pre-made animated icons to choose from (similarly to how there could be pre-drawn maps) that would each correspond to the theme and layout of each of the pre-set worlds, and the player could select the icon that best matched their finished world.
Another option is that there would be a single generic 'Custom World' icon that would be default for all player made worlds, with an option to replace it with a screenshot of the world.

tumblr_okcg5fzI6K1tj6sf3o1_250.png
A possible custom world icon that could be used as the default for all player made worlds.

Other things that I think would be awesome to have in a Create A World tool:
  • The ability to create a destination world like Granite Falls, this would be amazing because we only have 1 world to vacation in at the moment and it'd be great to be able to make as many as we want!
  • The ability to set the colour of the sky and the water, this would be good for those who like to create other planets or fantasy worlds, I can imagine someone creating a remake of Midnight Hollow with it'd blood red sky!
  • The ability to change the hours of the day/night cycle, so you can have a world with longer days or with longer nights like Forgotten Hollow.
  • An option for light pollution, so you can choose whether you can see the stars or not. This is already a thing in some TS4 worlds, notably San Myshuno and some areas of Newcrest where you can't even see the stars, it's just a haze of greeny yellow. Or completely remove light pollution like in Windenburg and Granite Falls where you can see the stars perfectly!

Finally, the world would be named and then uploaded to the Gallery so that everyone has a large selection of worlds to choose from and no one is short on space to build or play!

So that's it, that's my vision of a TS4 Create A World tool! Let me know if I missed something that you think should make it in, and whether or not you agree with how I picture it to be. :)
Post edited by keylimepiesims on

Comments

• the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    Wow! This is so cool, just reading it makes me so excited for this feature to (hopefully one day) return! I love how it seems a lot more "player friendly" than The Sims 3's CAW.

Even though you said there would be pre-made neighbourhoods with terrain and roads already laid down for us, and all we have to do is decorate it, I feel that instead we should have an option between a flat square that we can mould ourselves like in The Sims 3's CAW (This would be more suited for players who are more ambitious) but then also the pre-made terrains for players who don't want the hassle of completely creating a whole new world from scratch!

But hey apart from that, I think this actually sounds amazing!!
  • v12creatorv12creator Posts: 3,626 Member
    if you notice, each of these "Lot áreas" have a large unplayable world around then with decorations. So we would need a way to define where these "playable Marks" would be placed at. Thesims4 individual zones are very similar to Thesims medieval town in this aspect. And with a castaway stories map atached as "world view" to give impression that they are a single thing...but they are not, in fact, the lot-point of view decorations do not match with the city map.

jr73Y.gif

Here are a few pictures i took from oasis springs from lot "point of view". Using tab free view.

Here is the eternal hurricane around the zone :
    out_of_bounds_oasis_springs_by_vexacuz-dawpgei.png
    Here is another out-of-bounds area with the fountain, the fountain itself is 3d and there are fake cars running around streets that end on nowhere.
    oasissp_by_vexacuz-dawpgwd.png
    And here is near the end of the map. Trees get 2d and houses start to float. It is a weird world.
    weird_boundary_by_vexacuz-dawphlm.png
    And here is a world pespective. Notice my house with open configuration on the middle zone of the map. Everything outside that zone is decoration.
    oasis_springs_by_vexacuz-dawphy3.png
    jr73Y.gif

• keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    dansneller wrote: »
    Wow! This is so cool, just reading it makes me so excited for this feature to (hopefully one day) return! I love how it seems a lot more "player friendly" than The Sims 3's CAW.

Even though you said there would be pre-made neighbourhoods with terrain and roads already laid down for us, and all we have to do is decorate it, I feel that instead we should have an option between a flat square that we can mould ourselves like in The Sims 3's CAW (This would be more suited for players who are more ambitious) but then also the pre-made terrains for players who don't want the hassle of completely creating a whole new world from scratch!

But hey apart from that, I think this actually sounds amazing!!

Yeah it'd be good if it was an option for those that are feeling very adventurous, but I wouldn't mind if they just stuck to a selection of pre-made worlds, which means less work for us.
    v12creator wrote: »
    if you notice, each of these "Lot áreas" have a large unplayable world around then with decorations. So we would need a way to define where these "playable Marks" would be placed at. Thesims4 individual zones are very similar to Thesims medieval town in this aspect. And with a castaway stories map atached as "world view" to give impression that they are a single thing...but they are not, in fact, the lot-point of view decorations do not match with the city map.

The 'playable area' would be already marked out (I believe it's painted onto the terrain), and everything outside of the playable area would already been decorated, so that includes the clouds in the background and all of those cardboard cutout backdrops as well.

The 'playable area' would be already marked out (I believe it's painted onto the terrain), and everything outside of the playable area would already been decorated, so that includes the clouds in the background and all of those cardboard cutout backdrops as well.

Yeah, that doesnt sound good enough, there should be a way, perhaps an alternate tab in the program that allow us to make our own templates in a separate editor.
    jr73Y.gif

Yeah, that doesnt sound good enough, there should be a way, perhaps an alternate tab in the program that allow us to make our own templates in a separate editor.

Perhaps they'd include that for advanced players, but in my opinion just a very basic world editor is better than nothing at all. I'm desperate to be able to create my own worlds even if I can only use a few templates to do it.

Perhaps they'd include that for advanced players, but in my opinion just a very basic world editor is better than nothing at all. I'm desperate to be able to create my own worlds even if I can only use a few templates to do it.

True, i guess it work like many editors in simulation games, you have a few presets that you can use right-away and an Advanced* option in the UI that allows you to modelate your own pre-sets. I guess the fact that Thesims4 is so cartoony could make such crafting easier.
    jr73Y.gif

• 12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    I can create some worlds that are from the Mario series.
  • WarmGoodRobWarmGoodRob Posts: 1 New Member
    WE NEED DIS
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    edited June 2017
    That's a great idea! Now I'm wishing it really is in the game. I would create so many worlds...
    You got Awesome from me!
  • John_SalonicaJohn_Salonica Posts: 353 Member
    OMG I CANT BELIEVE IT! I was thinking about making a thread exactly like this explaining how it could work. Your post is seriously AWESOME thank you! I wish we get CAW for the sims 4. All I want for the sims 4 is create a world tbh. I would even pay for this tool
    xyIcMqt.png
  • laura95laura95 Posts: 2 New Member
    I hope this happens! I'm running out of space to create new familys and lots. Hate having to remove buildings just to build something new. Maybe a world which you could decide how big each lot is. I know there are big lots but sometimes you just want to build cosy homes and all the small lots are taken.
  • GlindePopGlindePop Posts: 134 Member
    This kind of describes my idea of how Create a World can be incorporated into TS4.

Except that I am fine with just having open and editable TS4 style neighborhoods instead of fully open worlds.
  • saddiejean19964saddiejean19964 Posts: 2 New Member
    How does one create a world to begin with? What program do I need to make a world for my Sims 3 games?
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    How does one create a world to begin with? What program do I need to make a world for my Sims 3 games?

Sims 3 CAW tool. Its on the Sims 3 website. I found it hard to use, good luck!
  • SimmerSuper6464SimmerSuper6464 Posts: 224 Member
    I need this now more than ever. I can’t make a medieval world in newcrest!
  • Okto84Okto84 Posts: 198 Member
    We could instead have some algorithm that generates terrain, and roads and foot paths could be placed by dragging them out. Sims tend to walk along their pavements, but otherwise roads are largely decorative in TS4. I think the option to edit terrain is still useful though.

Having various size lots we can select and place - with the ground automatically levelling where we place them should create lots like we already have. A slider could raise or lower them.

Neighbourhoods within the world could be made by selecting up to some limited number of adjacent lots and combining them in to a neighbourhood zone. Portals for sims to arrive and leave can be added by the user within the neighbourhood zone, just prompt them to do it if they forget.

I don't imagine the surrounding image of the world could be made so easily by users, but options like forest, sea, city, etc could be provided to fill the space.

The various in-game buyable and already existing world items can be used to decorate.

World maps could be made by taking a top-down view of the world and processing it. Lots, rivers, roads, etc can be directly transferred. Terrain colours could be used to produce the map, and trees and stones can be added.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I have but one word for this idea: GIMME!

Seriously, this is a really awesome idea, and very well thought-out and illustrated! It would be cool, too, if we could download other players' world map illustrations from the gallery to use in our games and upload our own to share with other players. Map templates, whole worlds, even custom neighborhood terrains. I would love that.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • DesmondKevanDesmondKevan Posts: 33 Member
    This should be happening!!
  • DraconDracon Posts: 119 Member
    This is just fantastic and awesome :smile: ! In my opinion, the worlds of Sims 4 pale in comparison to the ones in Sims 3 and Sims 2 when it comes to the size of the world, and the amount of lots available. San Myshuno in particular was slightly disappointing in how 'small' the city was, with only 4 neighborhoods being present, and how few lots were available for those said neighborhoods, especially since you couldn't really customize the apartments in depth, or even create your own apartments, as you could in the previous Sims games. Given that Sims 4 has a rich and diverse Mod and CC community, and a rich community in general, I'm sure if a CAW for Sims 4 ever happened, beautiful worlds that will rival and even surpass EA's ones will come out.

If there isn't one already, a petition should be created for a CAW! And I would gladly sign it.
  • peach1redpeach1red Posts: 245 Member
    I posted something similar to this on Tumblr the other day. I was curious if there was already a post about it on this fourm. I hope it's okay if I share my thoughts. I'm quoting this straight from Tumblr post, "So there would be a few map options. Neighborhoods would still have to be in fixed areas, but starting out you could make a few alterations here, such as changing colours of the ground and water of the world. You would also be able to add trees and other little decorations outside of the neighborhoods. There would of course be decorations not found in the other worlds as well as old ones.
    Then once done with that you could then edit the neighborhoods separately, making some changes to the terrain, adding decorations, grills, benches, monkey bars, trees, flowers, plants, dig spots, ect. The lots would still be in place and the base colour of the ground would be whatever colour was selected on the map view, but you could paint over parts of it to make things such as paths.
    It would probably sell as a game pack, but would be nice as an update. I know that I’m not the first person to state my thoughts on this, and I know this will most definitely be ignored, but I still wanted to get my thoughts out there."
    My favourite colour is #E4717A, just like any other ordinary human girl.

My Simming site: https://peachrenardssims.wordpress.com/
  • Matthewsims123Matthewsims123 Posts: 37 Member
    They really need caw so bad there is no space at all this is 100% even if these worlds are different and they won’t have all those weird crappy put together chunks that make a fake thing that looks like a world up close
  • peach1redpeach1red Posts: 245 Member
    They really need caw so bad there is no space at all this is 100% even if these worlds are different and they won’t have all those weird plum put together chunks that make a fake thing that looks like a world up close

But unlike the sims 3, 4 isn't set up with an open world. (Which is why I believe I may always like TS3 better than TS4.)
    My favourite colour is #E4717A, just like any other ordinary human girl.

My Simming site: https://peachrenardssims.wordpress.com/
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited May 2018
    OMG! I want It so bad. I would even pay for It! I have some suggestions:

1 - Maybe the map view could be a green/desert/other but blank, and we would have "stickers" or something tô decorate It, like little tree stickers, or a lake sticker, statue sticker, cacti sticker... Things like that... This would be for those who are not advanced people!

2 - I would love to be able to recreate older Sims neighborhoods/worlds. So, they could add option tô choose biomes presets... a desert (than i could build Strangetown, or Al Simhara...), a concrete (than i could build Sims 2 downtown, or Lunar Lakes), a swamp (for Twinbrook), a mountain, a forest, a tropical, a icy biome and etc...

3 - i would love to name my world and my neighborhoods, and tô give them descriptions. But i know that some people are not creative, só they could put a randomizer for the names, making descriptions something optional.

4 - Ability tô place skyscrapers and apartments like in San Myshuno... But i think they are kinda tricky tô mess with... I dont know... But i would understand If that wasnt possíble.

5 - When we send our worlds for the gallery, we could choose to send It populated or not

6 - Would be cool If we could mess with the townie generation, like choosing which names and surnames can appear via making boxes. If i only want japanese names, or just portuguese, or just french... If i want both japanese and french i could mark both boxes. We could bem able to choose wich gender would be generated... If male, female, mixed, or the "normal" if iwant tô build the amazons, or a Venus alien planet only with female Sims spawning, or a Martian planet only with male Sims spawning... Only Black Sims, for an african country, or only green Sims, or only blond Sims...

7 - Would be cool If we had the ability tô choose which worlds we want tô be able/enabled. Because i think not everybodys computer will.be able to handle 100 worlds generating hundreds of sims, as an example.

If they choose to release It as a gamepack, and not as a update (which i AM okay with) they could put Sims 1 neighborhood as análises example of what you can do with that Tool, i dream tô see how Sims 1 neighborhood would look in Sims 4.
    Post edited by Karon on