The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Option to disable vampires?

1171819202123...Next

Comments

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    marcel21 wrote: »
    ldmarko wrote: »
    rjssim wrote: »
    If I can recall, I think there was an option to disable these kinds of things in the Sims 3. Is there an option to disable vampires so that we can use the new content and world but without the fantasy stuff like special powers etc?

True but the sims 4 sadly does not offer options to disable.

If I remember right, vampires were added with Late Night, but the option didn't come until much later when the Supernatural pack came out. So there's still a chance they could add it.

True.
    Yes but the sims 4. Over 3 years and with still no options.
    Hopefully they do but I wouldn't hold me breath.

Ummm Vampires just came out this year.

By options if you mean toggles - well they told us after GTW with aliens in it the game can't take toggles - toggles break saves.

They said they can't change finished games like that in Sims 4 - but what - you want them to do that anyway so you have an option? They gave you an option by putting the supernatural into its own pack so if you did not want them - you don't buy/install the pack. It is very optional if you ask me. Even if someone gifts you the pack - if the pack is not your thing - don't install it. Lots of choice there.

But if the game can't use toggles - it can't use toggles. You have the option of all options.

Yes I meant options!
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Buying the Vampire Game Pack and then turning around and saying you want a toggle for the vampires, which btw is the theme of the pack is an oxymoron. That's why vampires came in their own separate pack, so that people who don't want the occult life-state in their realistic game can be happy. But then you say "Oh I wanted those build/buy/CAS options, but not the vampires." to which I reply "tough nuggets sweetheart, either learn to live with the vampires or just don't get the pack." it's a simple as that.
    I apologize if this sounds rude, it's just annoying when people harp on about wanting a toggle for the vampires.

Well, sometimes it does occur that people do like the stuff in the pack such as a new world to place new households, the new items, etc. Maybe some want to play two different types of games, one with vampires and one without. Is it really that offensive to you that players would like this kind of toggle option for those reasons? What about the people who just want to support the Sims team and the Sims franchise in general and don't even care about the pack? Yeah, what you said was quite rude, especially for those who appreciate and buy every DLC and game in this franchise but suggest something that would be nice to have.

It's not offensive at all, I just find it irritating that people are complaining about the theme of the pack. It's like if someone wore a snow jacket in the middle of summer, refused to take it off and continuously complained that they're hot. It sort of begs the question, why'd you buy it in the first place, if you KNOW that you're going to hate it. I get that if you're gifted the pack then you're not really at fault since Origin has a habit of auto-downloading/installing packs, but that still doesn't stop you from disabling the pack.
    As for toggles, I read on this thread and a few others that the devs said that toggles break saves and I can see how. since if they added a toggle then it would have to apply to the whole game, not just individual save worlds and the in the act of switching between states I can see how it'd break or at least cause issues. Because it means that the game would have to remember the settings the toggle put in place. Though for all we know, "breaking saves" could be code for "toggles are not compatible to TS4 engine."
    I'm one of those people who normally buy's every pack to support the sims team, but lately, I've been losing my faith in EA because of the way it's handling its other franchises *cough*MassEffectAndromeda*cough*.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • astera00astera00 Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm not sure I want vampires in my game yet and without buying it, I don't really have a way of knowing if I'd enjoy playing them so I haven't bought the pack yet. Watching videos of others playing doesn't really give you the same feel. Having said that, I do see both sides of the issue. The vampire pack has a lot of awesome clothes and build items I would love to add to my game and the fact that it is vampire/gothic-themed is irrelevant. You don't need a vampire to use that stuff and some of the things really suit some sims personalities. I've bought other packs for build and clothing items, but for the most part, I can ignore the added gameplay from them if I so choose. Having actual vampires changes the game quite a bit though, so despite the fact that I want the stuff, I haven't bought it.

I think the underlying issue is that players simply want more stuff to customize sims and builds. It might not be important to some people, but it is to others and I think it's good to support each other. Some players are storytellers, other like CAS and others are mainly builders. I think it's safe to say everyone feels a bit neglected in some ways for their style of play.

Overall, what I'm saying is I sympathise with both sides and I don't really see any point in getting annoyed with one another. Those who don't want the vampires can simply not buy the pack like I have done, but then more build items are very important to some people and I totally get why they would feel they're missing out (I do, a bit). On the other hand, it wouldn't be fair to reduce the number of vampires spawning in-game and reducing vampire activity for people who bought the pack because they want vampires just for the sake of those who wanted the build items. It seems like a toggle switch would be a perfect middle-ground for these two sides, but I have no knowledge of the technical issues involved.

Barring that, I wonder if EA could change the way they sell the content in these packs. There could be two buy options, a stuff-only version so that you can buy only the build and clothing items with none of the extra gameplay options, for a lower price, then the full version that includes all the items and gameplay for the regular price. Maybe they could include a time-limited demo of the gameplay in the stuff-only version, so players can see if they like it, with an option to upgrade, kinda like deluxe for the base game. There is already a demo version of Sims 3 CAS on origin after all. What does everyone think of this? That way players who want the gameplay get everything, whilst players who only want the stuff simply get that, without impacting their game. Then there's no need to add complicated toggles and options that can mess up the game and cause bugs and everyone's happy o:)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2017
    Buying the Vampire Game Pack and then turning around and saying you want a toggle for the vampires, which btw is the theme of the pack is an oxymoron. That's why vampires came in their own separate pack, so that people who don't want the occult life-state in their realistic game can be happy. But then you say "Oh I wanted those build/buy/CAS options, but not the vampires." to which I reply "tough nuggets sweetheart, either learn to live with the vampires or just don't get the pack." it's a simple as that.
    I apologize if this sounds rude, it's just annoying when people harp on about wanting a toggle for the vampires.

Well, sometimes it does occur that people do like the stuff in the pack such as a new world to place new households, the new items, etc. Maybe some want to play two different types of games, one with vampires and one without. Is it really that offensive to you that players would like this kind of toggle option for those reasons? What about the people who just want to support the Sims team and the Sims franchise in general and don't even care about the pack? Yeah, what you said was quite rude, especially for those who appreciate and buy every DLC and game in this franchise but suggest something that would be nice to have.

It's not offensive at all, I just find it irritating that people are complaining about the theme of the pack. It's like if someone wore a snow jacket in the middle of summer, refused to take it off and continuously complained that they're hot. It sort of begs the question, why'd you buy it in the first place, if you KNOW that you're going to hate it. I get that if you're gifted the pack then you're not really at fault since Origin has a habit of auto-downloading/installing packs, but that still doesn't stop you from disabling the pack.
    As for toggles, I read on this thread and a few others that the devs said that toggles break saves and I can see how. since if they added a toggle then it would have to apply to the whole game, not just individual save worlds and the in the act of switching between states I can see how it'd break or at least cause issues. Because it means that the game would have to remember the settings the toggle put in place. Though for all we know, "breaking saves" could be code for "toggles are not compatible to TS4 engine."
    I'm one of those people who normally buy's every pack to support the sims team, but lately, I've been losing my faith in EA because of the way it's handling its other franchises *cough*MassEffectAndromeda*cough*.

Just so you know - I don't object to toggles per sec - except in the Sims 4 when people yelled for toggles for the aliens in GTW - to shut them off and the devs discovered the toggles broke the save games when they were used - they had to not patch in toggles and instead - to quiet those not wanting alien abductions - etc - turned down the frequency. When they did this instead of us still getting some abductions we got none at all. On top of it the number of aliens appearing in the game even lessened so much even with my sim in the science career - I hardly saw but a couple of aliens in my game period.

As oneone who LOVES all the supernaturals in all the Sims games and play them more than the human sims - I was not happy. On top of it the legacy game I was playing (the official Original Legacy) requires a successful alien abduction with an alien birth for the 8th heir. I did everything humanly possible to get an alien abduction - but not a one no matter what.

So because of that - the Vamps which I like even better than aliens - that I found more perfect than any vampires we have ever had in a Sims game - and was so happy they were put in their own gp so as not to annoy the supernatural hating simmers. My thrill with having our own pack was quickly dampered by shout of people who did not like vampires, but wanted the pack any way - and they wanted a toggle to get rid of the Vamps. Well here we go again is all I could say - knowing full well they have not been able to fix the toggle issue - and all I can see is the vampires lose all their powers and stop appearing even in their own town - just like the aliens did.

This is why it annoys me. It is not enough for the devs to make sure a supernatural is not in any regular pack - but it's own pack and here we go again having to fight with people who want the vampire pack but not the vamps - and want a toggle - that we can't have - so what will we end up getting - the Vamps turned off to appease the ones that don't want them in the pack designed just for the vamps?

That is my own objection. Not toggles. Hey wish they'd put in the toggles - fine by me. Guess they can all get used to no more saves. I'll have saves as I have no intention of toggling anything.

I really have to wonder - how in heaven's name did these players play sims 1 and 2 - with supernaturals in every pack and no toggles? We never heard a peep of complaints in those games with tons of supernaturals. I just don't get it. I paid for Vampires and expect to have vampires at the level I received them - period.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    @Writin_Reg

I played Sims 1 base game only for 15+ years. I skipped Sims 2 and Sims 3. I purchased Sims 4 after Sims 1 would not download on Windows 10. There was enough to build fixer upper homes in base game of Sims 1. There is not any real way to do so without the certain wall decals that appear in the vampire game pack.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,337 Member
    edited December 2017
    @Writin_Reg

I haven't played the Sims 1 or Sims 2, so I really don't know how the options work in those games. I would also like to point out that before I created this topic I wasn't aware of the toggle breaking saves issue. I can understand your side of the discussion in regards to wanting vampires because that's what you paid for and wanted, but again I just wish there was a toggle option which would not break the saves and would allow for those who want or don't want vampires in the game. However, I am happy with the pack, and I deleted all of the main vampires in the vampire world. I am not having any issues with them, and don't see too many around. However, my work around is that if I see one, I just pretend that they are part of some vampire club where people dress like and think they are vampires lol! Works for me!
    Post edited by rjssim on
  • MellonuialMellonuial Posts: 47 Member
    Perhaps a compromise of sorts? Instead of "nerfing" (pardon the MMO/RPG/Shooter gaming slang) Vampires in their own pack, why not make a Victorian/Steampunk Stuff Pack pitch to the developers? All of the fancy clothes, furniture, and build items without the Vampires. o:)
  • JestinaJestina Posts: 1,609 Member
    I don't remember the vampires being as obnoxious and intrusive in 2 or 3. They didn't come around banging on my sims door almost every single night. They did become a hassle in 3 because they bred like rabbits. They seem to still breed like rabbits in 4 and are more like some annoying door to door sales person that keeps knocking on your door. Even with MCCC I have difficulty keeping the vampire population down or stopping them from knocking on my sims door every single night.
    edited December 2017
    Jestina wrote: »
    I don't remember the vampires being as obnoxious and intrusive in 2 or 3. They didn't come around banging on my sims door almost every single night. They did become a hassle in 3 because they bred like rabbits. They seem to still breed like rabbits in 4 and are more like some annoying door to door sales person that keeps knocking on your door. Even with MCCC I have difficulty keeping the vampire population down or stopping them from knocking on my sims door every single night.

Well you have the OPTION to stop that in Sims 3 - it has TOGGLES. You can actually shut them down in that game. Sims 2 only had vamps living downtown - there were just 4 - 2 females and 2 males and you did not get more unless your sims had babies with them - but you could end up with tons of Vamps in 2 as there was no culling until your population reach over 4600 sims. They did not breed themselves - you had to breed with them - so you were in control of the numbers in that respect. In Sims 1 they were rare - and I don't believe you could breed with them. It was much harder in Sims 1 to have kids period.

Every sims game is different to be honest. Also i n Sims 3 if you don't have SP on no sims breed.

In Sims 4 Vamps do not breed on their own. You are in control of that - so you can't blame the game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Jestina wrote: »

The whole random NPC visiting thing in TS4 is just plain annoying, not just with the vampires, but human NPC's as well. It's fine when a friend of my sim drops by, but then two more NPC show up, then the friend will leave then come back a sim hour later only to leave and then come back again. At one point in my game, I had about six NPC's on my lot along with my family of four, in the tiny starter house in Willowcreek.
    Even had a similar thing happen with my vampire household, only it happened at night.
    Anyway, in TS3 the game had programming in place that would turn pre-existing sims into Vampires or Celebrities, as a way to stop the game from getting boring. But in the end, it just got so silly that every NPC was now a vampire or celebrity, that they decided to add a toggle during the Supernatural expansion. But then they didn't update it after Island Paradice, so we ended up with the invasion of Mermaids and Showtime performers.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
    edited December 2017
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Just so you know - I don't object to toggles per sec - except in the Sims 4 when people yelled for toggles for the aliens in GTW - to shut them off and the devs discovered the toggles broke the save games when they were used - they had to not patch in toggles and instead - to quiet those not wanting alien abductions - etc - turned down the frequency. When they did this instead of us still getting some abductions we got none at all. On top of it the number of aliens appearing in the game even lessened so much even with my sim in the science career - I hardly saw but a couple of aliens in my game period.

As oneone who LOVES all the supernaturals in all the Sims games and play them more than the human sims - I was not happy. On top of it the legacy game I was playing (the official Original Legacy) requires a successful alien abduction with an alien birth for the 8th heir. I did everything humanly possible to get an alien abduction - but not a one no matter what.

So because of that - the Vamps which I like even better than aliens - that I found more perfect than any vampires we have ever had in a Sims game - and was so happy they were put in their own gp so as not to annoy the supernatural hating simmers. My thrill with having our own pack was quickly dampered by shout of people who did not like vampires, but wanted the pack any way - and they wanted a toggle to get rid of the Vamps. Well here we go again is all I could say - knowing full well they have not been able to fix the toggle issue - and all I can see is the vampires lose all their powers and stop appearing even in their own town - just like the aliens did.

This is why it annoys me. It is not enough for the devs to make sure a supernatural is not in any regular pack - but it's own pack and here we go again having to fight with people who want the vampire pack but not the vamps - and want a toggle - that we can't have - so what will we end up getting - the Vamps turned off to appease the ones that don't want them in the pack designed just for the vamps?

That is my own objection. Not toggles. Hey wish they'd put in the toggles - fine by me. Guess they can all get used to no more saves. I'll have saves as I have no intention of toggling anything.

I really have to wonder - how in heaven's name did these players play sims 1 and 2 - with supernaturals in every pack and no toggles? We never heard a peep of complaints in those games with tons of supernaturals. I just don't get it. I paid for Vampires and expect to have vampires at the level I received them - period.

People in the sims 2 could play with and without supernatural.
    Once you interact with a vampire for example. You had to become very good friends with one and let them bite you before you could become one.
    Visit special lots to meet more and use items on lots.
    In the sims 2 it could take ages to become friends with other sims.
    Anyway you only had so many
    Vampires
    Werewolf
    Witch

If you created them

Maybe if they did it like that again some people might of enjoyed it more.

• SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    edited December 2017

Maybe so, but plenty of people are enjoying it right now.

Post edited by Simpatsyann on
    edited December 2017
    Marcel - Well I have learned even if they repeat a character type, lifestate, or idea in the game because people request that kind of sims or items or ideas - they always make it different. They never repeat the same thing no matter how much simmers liked the way things worked. So seeing you had it already - you are pretty much assured it will always be different the next time. With the way sims games are made - if you loved something about former games - you still have the ability and freedom to go play those versions of the sims. So no point in even bringing up what they did in this or that version of the sims - For one, technology was a lot different and more limited in 2004 than it is now 13 - almost 14 years later - and technology NEVER goes backwards - it only moves forward. But the fact remains - Sims 2 vamps did not seem like most supernatural lovers think vampires should be. It might have suited people not into fantasy creatures - but for the most part they were just a strangely behaving sim. They were a "pretender". A character in a play more than anything. They had no impact.

That said - As lots of others have stated - many of us that actually love the supernaturals do think this rendition of Vampires is actually the best we have ever had. They act like vampires for a change (a mild version anyway - as they are not lethal) - but a lot like they should be, and for THAT fact alone - if people do not like supernaturals - it is not worth it to them to buy this pack for ANY reason but liking the supernaturals. As lets face it - if you don't like the main theme of the pack - it is part of the package and perhaps you need to not buy the pack for the cas and buy/build items. So as a supernatural loving kind of person - well I am on the side of the vamps being the best we ever had and actually acting a lot like vamps are meant to act, and not as a Sim pretending to be a Vamp. Vamps stalk. Vamps come into houses and drinks the victims blood whether or not you like it. To many of us - actually Sims 4 Vamps ARE the best ones yet. These vamps actually behave much like supernatural loving simmers have been requesting for years - so keep that in mind.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

Maybe so, but plenty of people are enjoying it right now.

Never said people weren't enjoying it, I said some ;)

If you truly want to stop vampires from bothering you outside of disabling the GP or resorting to mods, do the following: After Vlad's first "Welcome to the Neighbourhood" greeting invite him in or ask him to leave and don't have your sims look up "vampire secrets" on the computer because that's what triggers Vlad's break-in and the Vatore's visiting your home.
    This should work, I have tested this several times with different saves in different towns in my own game.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited December 2017
    I still don't get why you buy a vampire pack and want to turn off vampires (other than uninstalling the pack of course).
    I mean... sure, power to the users and all that but it still reminds me of a news item here in Sweden last year:
    Two women got thrown out of a restaurant for not eating the rice. The reason, it turns out, was that the restaurant was literally named "Rice" and all their dishes are based around rice. Yet they went there and refused to eat anything that had rice in it.

Edit: also... isn't this just as if I purchased the Parenthood pack and wanted an off switch for everything that was kid related?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • LiaRose1435LiaRose1435 Posts: 720 Member
    I still don't get why you buy a vampire pack and want to turn off vampires (other than uninstalling the pack of course).
    I mean... sure, power to the users and all that but it still reminds me of a news item here in Sweden last year:
    Two women got thrown out of a restaurant for not eating the rice. The reason, it turns out, was that the restaurant was literally named "Rice" and all their dishes are based around rice. Yet they went there and refused to eat anything that had rice in it.

Edit: also... isn't this just as if I purchased the Parenthood pack and wanted an off switch for everything that was kid related?

I bought Vampires because I want some save games with vampires, but I also want the option to play "realistic" save games without vampires. I don't want them intruding into every game I play.
    Am I too lost to be saved?
    Am I too lost?
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

I purchased it for the build items that can make a fixer upper home (water damage and crack decals). Those are not available unless you purchase the vampire pack. Thankfully a mod was created again after the c&d patch to disable them, but that does not help those unwilling to use mods.
    Oh I get that. My point though is that you really REALLY can't expect the developer to keep that in mind. Again, the same logic can be put into any part of the game (also why I uninstalled Supernatural for Sims 3 and why I haven't bought Parenthood for Sims 4. I am not interested in the premise of the expansion pack so... I don't buy it. Yes I miss out on some stuff but it's a logical price to pay).
  • notmothergothelnotmothergothel Posts: 42 Member
    What I do not get is why there is a vampire at my house almost every night. I do not talk to them, I do not research the folk lore on the computer. I do nothing with them at all. However, if I forget to lock my doors at night, there is a vamp ready to break in and drink from my sim that exact night, EVERY TIME. If I forget to unlock my doors, my guests or services ie. repairman, will go back home thinking they are "unwanted" or there is nothing to be repaired at all. But they were wanted since I called them using the phone in the first place. Also, I have had two garlic plants growing on the porch. One on each side of the front door. Yet, I still get break ins. I tried using the garlic on each side of the door thinking I could maybe leave my doors unlocked, so I don't accidentally forget to unlock them during the day time. BUT, my sim got bit while sleeping again within the first 3 sim days and it was random generated vamp, not one of the 3 premades Maxis placed in FH. I keep trying new saves and it still happens all the time. I got the GP thinking it would be amazing but all I am doing is trying to find ways to keep from getting bit all the time. Once in awhile is not bad, all the time is not okay with me.

If the garlic worked properly all the time, or if I could lock my door and have it still allow invited guests in and services, I wouldn't have such a problem. But when I am constantly fighting against the game, it's not fun anymore and becomes annoying. I keep seeing all these ideas about not getting bit, but they do not seem to work for me. Deleting them is useless since they just spawn right back anyways. Besides I thought in the Sims we were supposed to be in control, the whole, "we rule" thing. I do not feel in control when I am fighting against it so often. If anything I feel helpless because it is all the time. I do not kid when I say ALL the time.

I would just like to point out, I would never call to have them toned down since I have never even been abducted. Which I would like to have happen once in awhile too. I still haven't even seen SIXAM in my game yet.
    Also, I do not use CC or mods. I hate them both.
    Maybe the experience is different with mods ; except for Vlad doing the initial break in and feeding I've never been bothered, mostly because 1. I play two vampire Sims but also because 2. The Command Center stops other vampires from being generated without my permission. So only the people I want to be vampires are.
  • ClaimingTheFifthClaimingTheFifth Posts: 417 Member
    I'm not in a position to argue whether or not the game can accept toggles. All I'll say is that TwistedMexi has updated the vampire toggle over at MTS dated 27Jan18 I think. He was sort of off the sims radar for awhile and seems to be back :smiley:
    That light at the end of the tunnel? It's a train.
    The five-second rule does not apply when you have a two-second dog.
  • E1izabeth_AveryE1izabeth_Avery Posts: 1 New Member
    I don't care if anyone else wants to have vampires in their game. But I am primarily a builder. I bought Vampires because the building elements are great, especially for making Victorian structures.
    The problem I have with vampires is that they are invasive. Plant people and aliens don't come into my house at night and assault me. And I hate having to hang garlic everywhere. I just want a toggle like the one in Sims 3 that would allow me to bypass fantasy play.