Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member

@MiaSkywalker I would like things left un-upgraded (that's a new word, leave me alone :D ) so when I need to increase Handiness it's easy to do.

Don't worry about the cost, a few motherlodes and we're good :)

You can landscape using a mixture of green shrubs and any flower, I like them all. I do tend to use the poppies a lot. I like to have the mulch or dirt terrain paints in the landscaping as well. A few rocks tossed here and there also look good. I've never thought of using potted plants that might be something you could use as a feature in the flower bed. Oh and that bird bath from Barnacle Bay, I like that popped into a flower bed. :)

I think the dog runs should have fencing, even though I think they can open the gates themselves, so it doesn't really matter either way. I probably won't be locking them in anyways.

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @ADWilson
    That is just so stunning! I am definitely going to snag that for my games, I can't even believe how beautiful that turned out. Great job!!

@Kgaff
    Oh my goodness, this is just the perfect little island ranch house!

All the beautiful builds!
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited June 2017
    @Kgaff:
    Go here for pictures of the final build.

Please let me know if you want anything changed. It's not uploaded yet, but I will upload it if you approve it, and once I have a name for it. Right now I am not sure what to name it.

This was the most difficult build for me in this round robin, because it was so far out of my comfort zone. I've seen much better builds similar to this by other people, but since I don't do this style, it was hard for me to think of what to do at each step.

I tried to get as many of your suggestions as I could, but I'm sure I've forgotten a few here and there. I hope you'll find it useful anyway!

Oh, and I had to stop while taking the inside pictures, because I was getting motion sick. Yes, really! It's why I can't play first person games at all. :(
    Post edited by MiaSkywalker on
    ADWilson wrote: »
    Thumbnail_300x300.png
    The Dual Hanging Lights have always been in this room, but previous screenshots didn't show it.
    By the way, Addy, I have not been able to find these in my game. I have looked under ceiling lamps, which would seem to me to be where they should be. Are they somewhere else?
  • KaytayRoallKaytayRoall Posts: 923 Member
    @Kgaff Thank you so much!! You did an incredible, beautiful job. Nailed the amount of clutter I like perfectly. So many wonderful pattern recolors. All of the outdoor spaces are so inviting for spending a day in the sun, perfect for Sunlit Tides. I love how the layout turned out (so glad I didn't end up making you change it...) and the bonus game room is great for that extra room!

The pictures look amazing and I can't wait to get it in game and take a closer look.
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    ADWilson wrote: »
    Thumbnail_300x300.png
    The Dual Hanging Lights have always been in this room, but previous screenshots didn't show it.
    By the way, Addy, I have not been able to find these in my game. I have looked under ceiling lamps, which would seem to me to be where they should be. Are they somewhere else?

@MiaSkywalker
    It's times like these that make me wish the system had been done a little differently (and perhaps I already mentioned this when we discussed the 'all decor' hunt) ... scroll over/hover to see a larger image of object, but click and you'll get the larger image plus the arrows to look at the next item much in the way the store handled seeing items in a set.

Anyway, I popped in-game and they are found under the 'ceiling lights' category. The cost is 105 simoleons and I think the easiest way to find them is filter the content to only show store items.

Hope this helps :smile:
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited June 2017
    I think I have already commented on everyone's builds in the uploads on my pages. (I stay logged out of this site and just lurk if I don't need to comment here.) So, you should all know already how awesome I think your builds turned out.

Mia, I love the way you did the dog run! That shed is awesome. Great layout and lots of interesting additions like columns on the ends of the walls at the the closet and elsewhere.

It's been an amazingly successful collaboration, I think. We all tried new things and reached beyond some comfort zones, learning what appeals to other simmers. I think this is the way the DNA builders are challenged with each of their new creations.

It was a great idea Mia and I'm glad I played along.

I'm still in Addy's home in Aurora Skies this generation, but I plan to move to kgaff's next. Though, the random rolls have added a twist and I'll be using her build for kaytay instead of her build for me. I never expected the equestrian option as a primary career! So, I'll continue to round robin my legacy into the other builds as generations allow.

In case you are curious, these are the foals that will eventually grow up and move into the stables:

https://iamciane.wordpress.com/legacy/random-legacy/gen4/foals-are-precious

I've enjoyed each of the building collaborations. It was great to work with all of you.
    @creativemetaphor

Michael has just returned from his first trip abroad.
    rXb6TqL.jpg

He wonders if photography will be enough to pay his way.
    A8Y9QVz.jpg

It might not be an easy life, but challenges and how you handle them will determine whether you succeed or not.
    gNZudLp.jpg

Michael plans to succeed!
    aj56Nyv.jpg

Thank you again for the wonderful home as well as the expanded version. :smiley:
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @MiaSkywalker , @ADWilson , @ciane , @creativemetaphor This was a blast. I think it was a wonderful exercise in communication, building, collaboration and learning. I know I learned a ton of things while doing this.

All the builds came out great and so much fun to watch everything evolve.

Thanks MiaSkywalker and Adwilson for putting this together. And thanks to @aricarai and @KaytayRoall for jumping in and their wonderful contributions.

Now, I'm going to take some time and explore each and every build "in person" so to speak <3

BTW You all convinced me, I'll be ordering Supernatural and Showtime real soon :)
    edited June 2017
    @kgaff LOL yeah I got sucked into supernatural ;)

@ADWilson *squee* Love seeing the gallery already being filled! <3 I hope Michael enjoys his house for many moons to come!
    @ADWilson:
    *squeeeee!* Yes, you heard me squee! (And I don't do that often, I tell ya.) That is absolutely the perfect house! I <3 it! Usually when I download a lot, I change at least a few things, but in this one... nothing will need to be changed at all! It's absolutely, positively, gorgeous, and with everything I love my Sims to have. :)

The colors are perfect. The soft lavender and green in the bedroom, and the soft red, peach, and white downstairs.

I love the little details, like all the plants around the hot tub that match it so well. The wildflower on the table. The fountain effects. The gazebo. Everything!

I love you to death for making this for me! <3

@MiaSkywalker
    Hooray!!! Happy it hit all the right notes for you :smiley:
    Our collaboration turned out beautifully and it wouldn't have been the same without your ideas and input. I certainly wouldn't have thought to attempt something like this on my own-some. Your list of items and choice of furnishings were spot on and helped this desert jewel shine. Thank YOU!

Unfortunately, there is one change that you will have to make. The silly trash can simply won't stay put. Each time I plopped the newest version down in Al Simhara, I'd find the can moved over to one side of the house so I imagine you'll notice the same thing the first time you place the lot. Sorry ... consider it one of the mysteries of this dear ol' game. :lol:
    I probably got behind on the compliments department, but am truly in awe of the builds that came out during the Round Robin. Talented, creative, innovative ... each and every single one of you. Tips & tricks in addition to helpful advice & suggestions made my builds even better than they were before ... thank YOU @MiaSkywalker ~ @creativemetaphor ~ @ciane ~ @Kgaff

Thanks also go to @aricarai and @KaytayRoall for stepping in and working your build magic, too!

Some things are well worth a repeat ... I learned a lot and future builds will be the beneficiary of this newly-gained knowledge.
    thank-you-clothesline-752x483.jpg
    I am going to step up and thank everyone as well. Thank you to: @creativemetaphor, @ciane, and @Kgaff for joining in. Without you guys signing up, this wouldn't have been a round robin!

I am not forgetting Addy! Thank you, @ADWilson for helping me put this together! It was with your encouragement and ideas along with my original plan for this that we got this going. Thank you very much!

And also a huge THANK YOU to @KaytayRoall and @aricarai for helping out when we need subs for a round. You guys are awesome! (And amazing builders, have I ever told you guys that?)

The builds we got were amazing. And, since we each got to input what we wanted each time, we know the other person will be using it at some point! :)

Addy, I'm going to keep that list that I gave you of what I always want in a build for myself, too. I don't always remember, but you know, it IS a good idea to keep it in mind. (And I'm thinking, maybe something like that should be suggested for people to give when you run your regular gift exchanges.)

I had a lot of fun with this, and I know I'll run another one again sometime. But not right now; I'm too exhausted at the moment. :weary: Also, CM and I are going to revamp DV for a more medieval look; that's going to take a while! :mrgreen:
    @Ciane:
    I could swear that you had posted your build for CM some time ago. I've gone back ten pages so far, and can't find your post of it. I know you always post images on your blog, but of course I can't find the URL to that, either.

Would you mind posting the link to the images and the download again, so I can put that on the first page, please? I don't want to leave you out, just because I was a flake at the time. :)
    edited June 2017
    Post with pictures is here:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15739469/#Comment_15739469

And download link is here:
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9086525

Creative's build was done on my Mac laptop, so I couldn't upload pics to any image site. I had to upload to my media section on my page and link them in from there.

I had posted the download link and link back to the earlier post where I kept redoing the pics here as well:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15749012/#Comment_15749012

But you couldn't find it because I posted early. I just didn't trust losing it after the earlier computer problems.

So page 61 has the pics, but page 64 had the link back to the pics and download. I've added the download link to the post on page 61 now too.
    @Ciane:
    Thank you! I was sure you had posted it, but I just couldn't find it.

Now I just need the one from @KaytayRoall, but I don't know if she has finished it yet. If not, no worries; there's no deadline on it. :)
    edited June 2017
    @Kgaff:
    Your build is finally done and uploaded!

Gone to the Dogs

Size: 40x30
    Cost furnished: $143,876
    Cost unfurnished: $79,450

This 2 bedroom, 3 bathroom McMansion is perfect for a couple with a single child. Has room for up to four dogs in their own kennel in the backyard. Built at 1875 Trex Hill, in Appaloosa Plains, to Kgaff's specifications, by Mia Skywalker.

Pictures can be found here.
    @MiaSkywalker Oh dear, it looks as if the castle never got on the first page of completed builds, and I have no idea what page it was on! LOL So might be easier to link to my build thread entry instead of this thread?
    Outstanding job on your pics and site, Mia!
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I'm not sure if I said it before, but I had a blast participating in this. Thank you so much @MiaSkywalker and @ADWilson for arranging it! Thank you so much for having me, even if only for a moment! I loved it <3
    edited June 2017
    @MiaSkywalker Oh dear, it looks as if the castle never got on the first page of completed builds, and I have no idea what page it was on! LOL So might be easier to link to my build thread entry instead of this thread?
    Yeah, I realized it last night, and was going to look for the post today. I just got home, though, and your build thread entry is fine. :)

I think you posted it at the time that I was really sick and not really all there. Next time I do this, I'll try to add things to the first page as soon as they're posted.
    @Kgaff:
    I may end up re-uploading my lot for you. For some reason it is NOT showing up on the Exchange at all. It shows up if you go to my link to it, or if you look in my studio, but it does NOT show up if you just look at this week's offerings on the Exchange.

This means that it's never going to be found by anyone who doesn't go to this thread, and that doesn't make me happy. :(
    Nothing has been showing on the exchange since at least yesterday, Mia. I'd wait until they get it working again.
    edited June 2017
    ciane wrote: »
    Nothing has been showing on the exchange since at least yesterday, Mia. I'd wait until they get it working again.
    Oh, crud. Just my luck. Then when they get it working again, mine will get stuck waaaay back in the end, and still no one will ever see it. That bites.

Oh well. Not that it's that GREAT, but still, it would be nice to have it be seen, at least a little. :neutral:
    I've heard that it's working again @MiaSkywalker. And it does make a difference. You want your home to at least be seen. It's the way I feel about the builds that get uploaded without the UIC. They just don't get nearly the downloads that UIC lots will get.