Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    User name: Kgaff
    User name on Sims 3 site: Kgaff
    Origin name (optional):

EPs owned: Island Paradise, Generations, Into The Future, Late Night, University Life, Pets, Ambitions, World Adventures, Seasons
    SPs owned: High End Loft, Town Life, Master Suite, 70's 80's and 90's Stuff, Diesel
    (if you look at my Sims 3 page it shows I have Outdoor Life stuff but I really don't have it)

Store content owned / not owned:I own Everything that has anything to do with building except Dr Pepper, Katy Perry or pre-order sets
    Worlds owned: all of them

Preferred styles for building: I like all styles and like to mix up the architecture in my towns
    Preferred styles for playing: I usually play single sims and I like to try to max out all the skills and then have them do the different careers

Anything specific you want in your builds (this includes colors, items, styles, etc.): I like most anything, I like simple color palettes, earth tones, sea/ocean colors, sunset colors

Anything specific you do NOT want in your builds (this includes colors, items, styles, etc.): I find that a lot of contrasting colors and patterns is a bit hard for me to play. Also, I rarely play in Midnight Hollow because I just can't see anything in it.

Building strengths: I think I can build most any style fairly well, I love to landscape and I can get a lot of stuff on a small lot. I love to use MOO to create a new piece of furniture. I have been working more with fog emitters and learning what they can do.

Building weaknesses: CFE! I have tried and tried but just can't get the hang of it. Also I don't know how to do stuff like swim-able ponds, basements that have outdoor stairs or homes built into hills.

Wishlist: I have been playing in Appaloosa Plains and would love a smallish ranch with enough room for a horse and a couple of dogs. Homes on 30x30 lots would be great and they could be contemporary, modern or rustic.

• creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    edited February 2017
    @ciane Worked on the home, made good progress on the overall design but it's coming out a bit boxier than I'd like. I'm going to tweak a bit to break up some of the longer stretches of wall and add a bit more interest. Otherwise, the room layouts are coming along nicely, I think though!

Sorry I'm not gracing this post with any pictures yet, it was late last night when I finally stopped and I had too much on my plate to try to grab pics tonight but maybe tomorrow or Saturday I'll try to get some in-work shots before I get too far along to get your feedback :) ]

@Kgaff Welcome!!
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    edited February 2017
    Welcome, @Kgaff! I'm looking forward to when I get to build for you! :)

@ADWilson - I don't have a preference for either, so I'm quite happy to try to build the second one for you. That's why I posted those pictures, to give you a choice. :) I like all the windows as well, although some of the windows under the eaves aren't doable, so far as I know. I might be able to do it with MOO, but I kind of doubt it. (And I tend to avoid using MOO when placing doors and windows, because of the annoyances with it.)

I'm not sure how much money two Sims start off with, because I tend to ignore that, and always use the free real estate cheat to place my Sims. (Even my townies, most of the time.) And, uh, I think I might have made a mod that changes the starting money anyway, to further complicate me not remembering the correct amount. :p This is one reason I've never learnt to build starters. ;) But I'll try, although my understanding is that it's the walls that end up adding more to the cost than any of the furnishings.
    @MiaSkywalker a single sim is 16,500, and I think the second adult adds ... 2,000? Or 1,500? Anyway, it's right in there.
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    I like all the windows as well, although some of the windows under the eaves aren't doable, so far as I know. I might be able to do it with MOO, but I kind of doubt it. (And I tend to avoid using MOO when placing doors and windows, because of the annoyances with it.)

That's fine :) Your idea for not using MOO to place doors is a good one... I once had a door under stairs (leading to a half bath) that wasn't usable until I moved it one square over. Not sure what annoyances could be caused with MOOing windows, but I'm sure there are some!
    I'm not sure how much money two Sims start off with, because I tend to ignore that, and always use the free real estate cheat to place my Sims. (Even my townies, most of the time.) And, uh, I think I might have made a mod that changes the starting money anyway, to further complicate me not remembering the correct amount. :p This is one reason I've never learnt to build starters. ;) But I'll try, although my understanding is that it's the walls that end up adding more to the cost than any of the furnishings.
    a single sim is 16,500, and I think the second adult adds ... 2,000? Or 1,500? Anyway, it's right in there.

<3 the free real estate cheat, but have gotten interested in working from the ground up instead of having everything handed to my sims... hence my wish for starters ;)

Over on Carl's sims guide there is a small blurb about starting funds for CAS creations.

Single $16,500

Adding on to that:
    $2,000 per adult
    $1,500 per teen
    $1,000 per child
    $500 per toddler
    $500 per horse
    $250 per cat or dog

Hope this helps :)

@creativemetaphor ~ Thanks for helping answer :)
    Have the school (so glad you liked this inspiration picture because ideas are definitely percolating!) drawn on graph paper and am in the midst of reviewing a couple of tutorials to refresh my brain on one thing and figure out how to do something else since... there are a couple of ideas I want to try out! Hope to share some WIP progress pictures soon!
    ADWilson wrote: »
    <3 the free real estate cheat, but have gotten interested in working from the ground up instead of having everything handed to my sims... hence my wish for starters ;)
    My main problem is keeping within a budget; walls are expensive, and so, surprisingly, are basements! I may do an outdoor nectar maker instead of a basement one; you can always build a basement later, and move the nectar maker downstairs then. Or just place the wine racks in the basement, since you need those there to get the wine to age better.

I'll find ways to get everything in at a starter price, if I can, even if it means letting enough game time to pass for things to devalue. :)

So, @MiaSkywalker, I guess I get to build for you!!! I haven't done a lot of medieval or fantasy stuff so this should be fun. I do have a couple of ideas and a couple of pictures for inspiration for you to look at and let me know if I am on the right track.

I went looking for what trades and merchants were around "back in the day" and found a few that might fit into either one of these...

fanstasy%20house_zps7rmqfmme.jpg
    or
    midieval%20house_zpspzacvq6l.jpg

They could be an egg or meat merchant, a glassblower, green grocer, stationary or something else you choose. I was leaning toward the glass blower since they were quite important to the towns they were located in.

What do you think?

edited February 2017
    Kgaff wrote: »
    They could be an egg or meat merchant, a glassblower, green grocer, stationary or something else you choose. I was leaning toward the glass blower since they were quite important to the towns they were located in.

What do you think?
    Oooh, I like those! I think I may have come across those images when building for Skymyst, but I never made anything from either of them. Both of those could be really neat! I could see that building part on the left of that first building as having maybe a stable inside of it. Yeah, you could do all sorts of things with either of them. Those look like they'll be fun. :)

ETA: I thought I might mention - sometimes roofs on buildings like these can get tricky. If you decide to do the second one, you might have some trouble with them. :)
    edited February 2017
    @ADWilson That's awesome that you're drawing out the floor plan first, I almost always do that first! (having AutoCAD helps :mrgreen: ) But it's so much easier to plan out in advance where things need to go to line up, especially between floors! I'm very excited to see what you have planned!

@ciane
    So I'm doing two houses after all, one small but not necessarily fully a starter, but toward that end of the spectrum. The small one is being heavily inspired by this house:
    scandinavian-villa-in-norway.jpg
    Let me know what you think, if that's on the right track for your hopes.

The larger home is more generally inspired by Nordic architecture but not based on any particular existing plan. That's the one I'm trying to get less boxy currently, but I think it'll turn out nicely once I make a few minor adjustments!
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited February 2017
    I LOVE it @creativemetaphor! I think I've looked at simming that myself a time or two, but always ended up simming a different home. I really look forward to seeing how it ends up.

@Kgaff - I swear I left a comment for you earlier. I wonder what thread it might have ended up on?! Great inspirational pics. I really love that first one, but the second one is really appealing too!
    @creativemetaphor ~ Went into game and removed the school from Monte Vista then noticed a snag... woe!
    I think I might have a workaround by flipping my plan over but wanted to run this by you and see what you think...

My plan:
    School on the left side of the lot with track & football field on the right.

Dilemma:
    EA has a soccer type field painted in the terrain next to the lot.

So I'm thinking...
    Place field & track on the left and the school on the right.
    edited February 2017
    I'd say stick to your original vision. when I place the lot, I'll just move it over to cover the "offending" ground paint. :mrgreen: No reason why EA's silly field should derail your intended plans.
    @ciane
    I LOVE it @creativemetaphor! I think I've looked at simming that myself a time or two, but always ended up simming a different home.

Oh yay!!

edited February 2017
    I'd say stick to your original vision. when I place the lot, I'll just move it over to cover the "offending" ground paint. :mrgreen: No reason why EA's silly field should derail your intended plans.

@creativemetaphor ~

Hmm... not sure moving the lot over would work due to the curvature in the road.
    Screenshot-187_zpsgtzngq35.jpg

But maybe it wouldn't look horrible if I left the original in place and had a 'sports complex' on the right.
    All this woe-is-me because silly me thought the field was on the lot itself when I glanced at it in map view. LOL
    @creativemetaphor ~ Still plenty to do, but after placing the track & field and stand seating it looks better than I thought it would. But... what's most important is what do YOU think?

Screenshot-188_zps6ydw1wyt.jpg
    @ADWilson OOoh that is an awesome start!! I can't wait! Love the track. I would have thought the field was on the lot as well just looking at it! (to be honest, I couldn't remember exactly how that was laid out) I like what you've done :)
    ADWilson wrote: »
    @creativemetaphor ~ Still plenty to do, but after placing the track & field and stand seating it looks better than I thought it would. But... what's most important is what do YOU think?
    What world is that? (You've probably mentioned, but I'm being a space case.) I really love how it looks with this start. It blends right in with that football field, and makes it look like it's part of your build. :)

OOoh that is an awesome start!! I can't wait! Love the track. I would have thought the field was on the lot as well just looking at it! (to be honest, I couldn't remember exactly how that was laid out) I like what you've done :)

Hooray! GLAD you like it :)

Now that those 'place markers' (building and track & field) have been set down and the stand seating adjusted so some overlooks the soccer field, I honestly don't know why I got worried about my plan and placement earlier ... it looks nice this way. Switching building & field wouldn't look as good, I don't think, so am glad you wanted the original version.

Where I live football has more fans than soccer (our daughter played soccer at the local YMCA for several years & all 4 years of high school so you know which sport we prefer!). With general consensus in mind, I gave the track & field two rows of seating and soccer one row.

Question:
    If I am unable to carve out a further two squares worth of space to make equal seating area on both sides, would you prefer it to be kept this way or would you rather have two rows for soccer and one for track & field?
    What world is that? (You've probably mentioned, but I'm being a space case.) I really love how it looks with this start. It blends right in with that football field, and makes it look like it's part of your build. :)

That's okay! You're not being a space case... just focused on hosting and building ;)

Monte Vista. After everything was placed and I zoomed out a bit, I thought it turned out well and what was a problem in my mind wasn't a problem at all. LOL
    So glad it looks like it goes together... whew! Such a relief!
    @ADWilson I think you'll have the advantage of seeing how it looks as you go - I know no matter how much I plan something out sometimes in practice it just doesn't look as good as something else - so I'll leave that to your discretion. The US certainly has it's football mania and no other sport quite matches up, so it would make sense anyway to have less 'spectators' for the soccer field. But again, as you go, what you think looks best will probably look best :mrgreen:
    @ciane Okay so I think my ambition may have gotten ahead of me a little, especially given the time frame. I'm going to focus on doing just one so it gets all the attention it deserves and is the best I can make it! (hope that isn't too much of a disappointment!)

Well, I had quite the pleasant surprise yesterday, My hubby not only made dinner, but cleaned the kitchen, loaded the dishwasher and actually pressed the button to start it!! :):)
    That meant that I got to sit and build to my hearts content last night. Here's a sample
    Screenshot-127_zpsmwl7uxja.jpg
    Screenshot-125_zpsydw8su1n.jpg

Now I need some input from @MiaSkywalker. I haven't done any medieval interiors and don't know, shall we say, what level of comfort you would like it to have. For instance, I have a shower/tub and sink in the bathroom with the toilet outdoors (like an outhouse) but what about the kitchen?

I hope you like it so far :)
    Well, I had quite the pleasant surprise yesterday, My hubby not only made dinner, but cleaned the kitchen, loaded the dishwasher and actually pressed the button to start it!! :):)
    That meant that I got to sit and build to my hearts content last night. Here's a sample

Now I need some input from @MiaSkywalker. I haven't done any medieval interiors and don't know, shall we say, what level of comfort you would like it to have. For instance, I have a shower/tub and sink in the bathroom with the toilet outdoors (like an outhouse) but what about the kitchen?

Oowoooh! I like! That would look great in DV, Monte Vista, or Cotes D'Ambonnay! I never thought of using the slightly grunged walls, but it does make it look more realistic. Sometimes I've felt that the builds I've made looked too plastic, and maybe those would help.

That well you have - was it made from MOOed objects? Or is there a well with that pulley system on it? It looks really good, and gives it a nice flair.

Kitchens? Hm... I always have at least one regular oven; for medieval, usually either the one that comes with the Make a Wish set, or the one called Gretel's Revenge. (I think it might come with the Drifter's Desire set. Recolored, of course.) Then often I add the baking oven and/or the pizza oven, but neither of those is required. I've seen some builds that put the fridge downstairs; I never do, because of potential routing issues. There are several refrigerators that look good as-is in a medieval build (including one of the refrigerators from Pets), or you could use another with a CASt of some sort of wood. This is one of the reasons I don't bother with S4; you can't CASt this way in S4 to make something historical. :)

I always have a sink in the kitchen, too; otherwise your Sims will wash their dishes in the bathroom, and that's just silly. :p

A bathroom outdoors is fine; you could use one of the all-in-one bathrooms as an outhouse, recolored appropriately, as well. One choice for showers is to use the outdoor one that came with the spa. Even though it's fairly cheap, it counts as an expensive shower with respect to how the Sims react to it. (My Sims get the "exhilarating shower" buff fairly frequently from using it.) I think it was more authentic for medieval people to keep a bathroom outdoors, but they also used chamberpots for indoor potties. Unsanitary, by today's standards. We can't really get THAT authentic. :)

Btw, another fencing that looks authentic is the varmint one, which I think came with Pets. Any stone wall is good too; I've seen many pictures of old ruins from medieval and earlier towns, and there are lots of stone walls. Of course, the wood ones would never have withstood the test of time - and weather - in those cases, so that makes it easy to believe (probably incorrectly), that they used more stone than wood for fences and walls. :)

One thing I *never* use in any medieval build is a television. I may put in a stereo of sorts (usually one of those retro record players, or the stereo that came with the carousel set - recolored, of course), but absolutely never a television. There's simply no way to make one fit in to a medieval theme. And besides, not having one forces my Sims to do other things for recreation. :)
    @Kgaff That's beautiful!!!
    @MiaSkywalker You got me thinking... not wanting them aside, I think a way you could sneak a TV into a medieval world would be MOO it up like a little puppet theater box. Curtains to either side, set on a coffee table or recessed into the back of a bookshelf or hutch or something... could totally work ;)

Oowoooh! I like! That would look great in DV, Monte Vista, or Cotes D'Ambonnay! I never thought of using the slightly grunged walls, but it does make it look more realistic. Sometimes I've felt that the builds I've made looked too plastic, and maybe those would help.

That well you have - was it made from MOOed objects? Or is there a well with that pulley system on it? It looks really good, and gives it a nice flair.

Kitchens? Hm... I always have at least one regular oven; for medieval, usually either the one that comes with the Make a Wish set, or the one called Gretel's Revenge. (I think it might come with the Drifter's Desire set. Recolored, of course.) Then often I add the baking oven and/or the pizza oven, but neither of those is required. I've seen some builds that put the fridge downstairs; I never do, because of potential routing issues. There are several refrigerators that look good as-is in a medieval build (including one of the refrigerators from Pets), or you could use another with a CASt of some sort of wood. This is one of the reasons I don't bother with S4; you can't CASt this way in S4 to make something historical. :)

I always have a sink in the kitchen, too; otherwise your Sims will wash their dishes in the bathroom, and that's just silly. :p

A bathroom outdoors is fine; you could use one of the all-in-one bathrooms as an outhouse, recolored appropriately, as well. One choice for showers is to use the outdoor one that came with the spa. Even though it's fairly cheap, it counts as an expensive shower with respect to how the Sims react to it. (My Sims get the "exhilarating shower" buff fairly frequently from using it.) I think it was more authentic for medieval people to keep a bathroom outdoors, but they also used chamberpots for indoor potties. Unsanitary, by today's standards. We can't really get THAT authentic. :)

Btw, another fencing that looks authentic is the varmint one, which I think came with Pets. Any stone wall is good too; I've seen many pictures of old ruins from medieval and earlier towns, and there are lots of stone walls. Of course, the wood ones would never have withstood the test of time - and weather - in those cases, so that makes it easy to believe (probably incorrectly), that they used more stone than wood for fences and walls. :)

One thing I *never* use in any medieval build is a television. I may put in a stereo of sorts (usually one of those retro record players, or the stereo that came with the carousel set - recolored, of course), but absolutely never a television. There's simply no way to make one fit in to a medieval theme. And besides, not having one forces my Sims to do other things for recreation. :)

Oh boy you gave me some good ideas. I had chosen the Gretal's Revenge stove already, it seemed a perfect choice. I agree with you on the fence and I'll change that to stone, I have one in mind that should work out well.
    The well is the Well of Wisdom from Dragon Valley. I found it while I was looking for medieval stuff to use.
    I just thought of a radio that might work for some entertainment.
    See ya :)