Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Round Robin Build Exchange

Comments

• MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    @Ciane -

I am going to start working on your build (I feel like building today), and I would like to know where you would like me to build in Moonlight Falls. I see four or five empty 40x40 lots, and a few 50x50 lots or larger. I could bulldoze a used 30x30, but I generally disprefer doing that.

Is there a specific lot you might like best? Or would general location (near criminal lot, etc) be more in your mind?
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    @MiaSkywalker - Actually I had thought of bulldozing an empty lot close to where the Rodgers live. It's kind of at the end of a curve in the road, close to water. It seemed almost as close to the criminal profession as where Linda is Rodgers is living now. I'll have to go get a location for you.

I don't usually like to bulldoze existing lots either, but there just weren't any smaller lots available.
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @kgaff

Have you tried playing with the wall lights in debug? Sometimes you can angle them just right to light up hard to reach places.

When I do that they stick through the upper floor because there's not much space on that 'level' of the wall. So yes, I can technically get them lit, but the lighting still doesn't match the lower walls, so tonight I'm going to try using it to my advantage instead of fighting against it.
    @Kgaff

New Question Do you haveThe Duke of Bows Renaissance Faire?

Yes!
    edited March 2017
    @MiaSkywalker - I'll have to load up the world to see for sure, but pics on the internet lead me to believe it's a 20x20 lot called the Craftsman's Mansion. But, since you'd rather not demolish an existing lot, and because they should have enough money, I've found another. (Post below)
    Post edited by ciane on
    edited March 2017
    @MiaSkywalker @ciane
    What is Moonlight Falls? Or rather, it doesn't seem to be an EA world, is it a custom world?

Nevermind, Google is my friend. *doh*
    edited March 2017
    @MiaSkywalker - I went into Moonlight Falls (don't abbreviate that!) and looked around. 89 Horseshoe Bend is an empty 40x40 lot that would be close to both where they live now and the criminal profession. So, that would be good.

Or 1138 Merchant Way seems about as close to the criminal theatre building and is located just across the street from the consignment store. It's also closer to the school and town center. So that would be real handy!

Either of those is fine. Thank you.
    Post edited by ciane on
    ciane wrote: »
    @MiaSkywalker - I went into Moonlight Falls (don't abbreviate that!) and looked around. 89 Horseshoe Bend is an empty 40x40 lot that would be close to both where they live now and the criminal profession. So, that would be good.

Or 1138 Merchant Way seems about as close to the criminal theatre building and is located just across the street from the consignment store. It's also closer to the school and town center. So that would be real handy!

Either of those is fine. Thank you.
    I had noticed 89 Horseshoe Bend; I don't think I had noticed the one on Merchant's Way. I will build on that one for you. :)

Btw, if the build doesn't go out to the edges (and I doubt if it will, on a 40x40), would you rather I give it a back yard, or a front yard? A front yard would probably be more like a flower garden, and a back yard would probably have something like a planting garden and/or grill area and/or play stuff for kids.
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    @Kgaff

New Question Do you haveThe Duke of Bows Renaissance Faire?

Yes!

Ookee Dookee! I'm ready to go. I will post my progress tomorrow or Saturday.
    @MiaSkywalker - I'd rather have a backyard. I think a garden will be a must and there will be three kids, so room to play in the backyard would be nice.
    edited March 2017
    Does anyone know how to force a roof (in this case, half-gabled) to go in a particular direction? As you can see by the pictures below, I can get the roof to go the direction I want if I set it to either 1x2 or 2x3, but not when I set it to 2x2, which is what I need.
    14y0003.jpg
    2v9yxrl.jpg
    js11tl.jpg

@Ciane: Ok, good. I prefer making larger back yards than front yards. :)

Btw, I found an empty 3x3 commercial lot, but not until after I had started building this one. If I had seen it earlier, I would have changed it to residential and used that. Oh well, this way you'll have more room for a garden. :)

ETA: Hm... never mind, I decided to work around it. I'd still like to know, but it won't matter for this anymore.
    Post edited by MiaSkywalker on
    @MiaSkywalker I've never quite been sure what dictates what direction rooves want to go when they're the same width as depth. Perhaps the lot arrows? It might be easier to just move that wall out one square so the roof is only 1X2 instead of 2X2.
    @MiaSkywalker I've never quite been sure what dictates what direction rooves want to go when they're the same width as depth. Perhaps the lot arrows? It might be easier to just move that wall out one square so the roof is only 1X2 instead of 2X2.
    That's actually what I ended up doing. I had to match it on both sides, which was a bit of a pain, and the roof now appears to "slope" a little. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. :)
    @MiaSkywalker Yeah, I've had my share of fights with the rooves, sometimes you can work around it and sometimes you just have to accept it isn't going to work how you want. *le sigh*
    @Ciane:

All right, picture time. :) All I have is the shell (outer walls and roofs), but I think I finally got the shell looking enough like the original house to satisfy me, so now I can start on the insides.
    sdci1g.jpg
    migthg.jpg
    2e3wfhv.jpg
    263etc1.jpg
    r7t9c1.jpg
    2d7y8a1.jpg
    2d8lzfa.jpg

I do NOT like the lighting in Moonlight Falls. It makes everything look green. I think I need to get a lighting mod for this world and Midnight Hollow. I think you can set a lighting mod to only affect specific worlds, although I am not sure how to do that.

Current cost is $31,402.
  • ADWilsonADWilson Posts: 6,755 Member
    Progress on the house for @ciane

Thorough testing ~ done :)
    Picture taking ~ done :)
    Shared to Launcher ~ done :)
    Custard Check ~ clean :smiley:

Left to do:
    Select pictures to go with upload
    Prepare presentation notes

Almost ready for gifting time!
    edited March 2017
    It looks really awesome @MiaSkywalker. I thought it was only going to be a two story, but I see they'll have plenty of attic space.

For roofs that don't like to go the distance, I often overlap two or sometimes bring them inside and put something there with MOO. (More often than not though, I have to do something different than I originally planned.)

For lighting mods, I have one by burntwaffles that is great. I use it in Midnight Hollow. You can drop it in before playing or just rename that sims 3 folder and only use it for that world. I also have some recolored plants for Midnight Hollow too. I love them. It is much easier to play the world that way.

FreshCutDay is the lighting mod I have and Shimrod did terrain paint for it. I can't remember who did the plant overrides. It was in a thread on the old forums and of course all the links are messed up now.

I found a link, but it is a closed site with permission from aminova to enter. If permission is granted after logging in with my wordpress info, I'll let you know if the plant overrides are still there.

The link I have is: http://aminovas.wordpress.com/2013/09/28/default-overrides-for-midnight-hollow-plants-and-trees/
    Post edited by ciane on
    ciane wrote: »
    It looks really awesome @MiaSkywalker. I thought it was only going to be a two story, but I see they'll have plenty of attic space.

For roofs that don't like to go the distance, I often overlap two or sometimes bring them inside and put something there with MOO. (More often than not though, I have to do something different than I originally planned.)

For lighting mods, I have one by burntwaffles that is great. I use it in Midnight Hollow. You can drop it in before playing or just rename that sims 3 folder and only use it for that world. I also have some recolored plants for Midnight Hollow too. I love them. It is much easier to play the world that way.

FreshCutDay is the lighting mod I have and Shimrod did terrain paint for it. I can't remember who did the plant overrides. It was in a thread on the old forums and of course all the links are messed up now.
    I've used some of burntwaffles' lighting mods, but I haven't been using them for these builds, since the one I had chosen makes things extremely bright, and won't show houses as they will actually look in the worlds. I think that I actually like some of the more muted lighting in some of the worlds, such as DV, so I may end up using a different lighting mod.

I thought using the regular game lighting would be best, but I'm thinking that isn't the case with Moonlight Falls. It's simply too dim and too green, and it won't take pictures very well.
    So, I did a little experiment just now, and found out something interesting.

If I keep foundation, my house costs 47,787.

If I remove foundation, and then place the same floor pattern, my house costs 47,959.

So floor on top of foundation is cheaper than floor by itself. Removing foundation does not necessarily lower the cost of the house.
    edited March 2017
    Use whatever lighting mod you like best @MiaSkywalker, and just note which it was with the pictures.
    I got the lighting mod for Midnight Hollow at the time it came out, so there are probably much better ones out there.

P.S, And, that foundation cost thing is probably a result of the wall paper on the inner foundation.

P.🐸🐸🐸🐸. Hubby's home tonight, so I'm off to bed now. Catch up with you tomorrow.
    @hannahc1023
    Had a dentist appointment last night so I didn't get home until late, then had to do dinner, but I got the living room and master bedroom mostly furnished and started adding the decor in the hallway which I decided to use as an art gallery, what with them being all well-to-do and such.

So to bring you up to date: Downstairs mostly furnished, living room and kitchen mostly furnished, other main floor areas need attention, master suite well on its way, still need to work on offices and the landscaping, and the whole build needs serious reCASting *hee, pun!*

Not as far along as I would have hoped by today but still will easily get done within the coming week. Will get more progress pictures up this weekend for any input you'd like to offer though we're running a bit short on time to redo much, so I really hope you like what I've designed!

I have tried to avoid using any store content except for what comes with worlds, but I do apologize now if something slips in that you don't have. If you see anything that doesn't look familiar in the progress pictures let me know and I'll swap it out!
    @MiaSkywalker Oh!! Oh oh! I think I see what you wanted to do - you wanted to make the whole roof flow as a single piece down the sides, yes? Did you try placing a whole roof over all instead of just the shed rooves on the side? Basically you'd be placing the upper roof twice, but just starting from lower down.
    @MiaSkywalker Oh!! Oh oh! I think I see what you wanted to do - you wanted to make the whole roof flow as a single piece down the sides, yes? Did you try placing a whole roof over all instead of just the shed rooves on the side? Basically you'd be placing the upper roof twice, but just starting from lower down.
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Do you mean, repeat the roof from just two squares away, so there is overlap?

Oh, I just had a sudden idea of something that could work. I could do the roof in parts, instead of drawing it all the way from one side of the roof to the other. I have no idea why I hadn't thought of it before. It might not work, but it might...
    edited March 2017
    @MiaSkywalker

It's hard to describe without pictures :lol:

It appears what you have is a roof over the upper floor that you want to tie in directly to the side rooves on the lower floor.

Since the lower floor rooves aren't letting you set them in the right direction as only partial pieces, if you place the lower side rooves not as individual pieces but as another full gable that overlaps the upper roof entirely you can force it to go the direction you want and blend it to the upper roof by using the 'tall gable'.

However you do it, I hope you can get what you want to work!
    edited March 2017
    More picture time of the build I'm making for Ciane. I finally have the outside looking the way I want. The house has three regular floors and an attic, as well as a small basement. Just showing the outer shell right now. Ignore all the furnishings on the lawn; I'm just using that as storage. :)
    2rfefcy.jpg
    1oumhv.jpg
    15gv9ud.jpg
    i5ajva.jpg
    546t14.jpg
    2ynfbsk.jpg

The odd mottling is shadows from the trees around. I think I may end up changing my lighting mod again.