Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Combining Build Forums=Least Useful Idea Ever

Sorry for the somewhat hostile title, but this is one of those decisions that really has me wondering what the-powers-that-be were thinking. It made sense to remove some of the redundancy and bloat from the Forums, but the decision to roll the very distinct needs and interests of four generations of builders into a single, unsorted platform doesn't seem well thought out.

The biggest problem is that there is NO WAY TO TELL which game a particular thread is for, and therefore no way to determine whether that content is relevant to a given user. I respect the creativity and efforts of all builders, but tbh, I don't really want to wade through 20-30 Sims 3 threads when I'm looking for content for my Sims 4 game. I don't necessarily need radical separation, but at least some way to find the content that I actually want would be nice. As for now, I rarely use the build forums because of this issue. Maybe the solution could be as simple as encouraging Authors to include TS(appropriate version) somewhere in their title. Any improvement would save forum-users some frustration.

Comments

• ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Really? You can find a Sims 3 thread in Creative Corner? You must be having better luck than I do, since all I've noticed is that TS4 has two creative corners.
    However, many of us have indeed been campaigning for a build / creative area for TS3.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    Really? You can find a Sims 3 thread in Creative Corner? You must be having better luck than I do, since all I've noticed is that TS4 has two creative corners.
    However, many of us have indeed been campaigning for a build / creative area for TS3.

I wasn't trying to be favorable toward one game or the other. Sorry if it came out that way. I also like what a lot of Sims 3 builders are doing, but since I'm not actively playing or building in TS3 at the moment, the content isn't particularly useful to me. In any case, I don't want to treat either camp unfairly, I just want all of us to have the proper tools to find content we want, and to pass on content we don't. I hope that clarifies.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Ah, no, I didn't think you were :) I honestly was surprised that you could find a TS3 thread, because every time I go in there, they have been absolutely buried by even more TS4 threads.
    We've been campaigning to have a TS3 creative section given back to us to avoid this kind of thing, since TS2 has one and TS4, but TS3 has been left out.

However, after weeks, still all we have heard is silence on the matter :(
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    Ah, no, I didn't think you were :) I honestly was surprised that you could find a TS3 thread, because every time I go in there, they have been absolutely buried by even more TS4 threads.
    We've been campaigning to have a TS3 creative section given back to us to avoid this kind of thing, since TS2 has one and TS4, but TS3 has been left out.

However, after weeks, still all we have heard is silence on the matter :(

To be honest' I was just browsing and not looking for anything specific. I prefer to build my own stuff, but sometimes a peek at others' creativity can spark some inspiration. I kept hitting TS3 threads, which didn't bother me in and of itself. It just bothered me that there was no way to tell. Most of the forum changes don't really bother me. I think the old format was getting a bit bloated. But since building in each game is different, some kind of sorting mechanism makes sense. Best of wishes in your efforts to lobby for a game specific forum. I don't have much influence, but the effort has my support.