Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Sims4 Building Tip- Extended Flat Roof and other techniques

Fair Warning, this will be second nature to some people, but Ive seen some people ask about this, so I wanted to share a few quick tips.

I've seen people ask in various threads how to extend a flat roof beyond the dimensions of a walled room. This task can be accomplished easily by placing the one of the "flat" rooms found in the room and deck tools. The flats are basically decks without the railings (although these can be added if necessary) that can be extended to any size the builder needs. So to create an extended flat roof, just run a flat room over top of it. Technically the game considers it a floor, but to the eye it serves nicely as a roof.

This technique will also allow you to use the exterior trims in places where the game would not ordinarily allow it. Normally, friezes can only be placed around the top of a room, and the exterior trims can only be placed around the bottom edge. By placing a flat section first, you can use the exterior trims wherever you want. I like this option, because for some builds the friezes are just too bulky looking, but the exterior trim can give the build a nice, finished look. This works even if the original roof and the added flat are the same size.

Also, the flats can be used to cover a section of roof that the game deleted. Sometimes removing a floor or placing a stair in certain spots can delete the ceiling over that location. While there are other ways to fix it, placing a flat over the deleted spot is just as easy, and usually works just as well.

Flats can also be used to place a floor where there are no supporting walls, or to create architectural elements for visual appeal. They can be incredibly versatile, so have fun and experiment.

One thing to be aware of, is that a flat placed at ground level, will have a foundation if the lot has one, just as a deck would.