Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Will starting a new fresh save help with loading times/FPS?

My computer specs :

8 GB RAM
R9 290X (for a sense of it's capabilities, it can run most games at high-ultra settings @ 60fps, 1080p)
i5-4690k OC'd to 3.9GHZ (it won't push past that number)

• My PC is in the higher end and I'm experiencing a bit of fps drops to 30 depending on what my camera is looking at.
  • In this save filed I have 3 played households. In my main family I play in a fairly "big" house, think of a family home with lots of stuff in it to accommodate for kids/entertainment etc. This is where I experience the most frame drops.
  • My save file is about a year old, every lot in each world has been filled with a lot from the gallery. On top of that each residential lot has a moved in family from the gallery as well.
  • Settings are all on the highest value. I have MC Command Center if that does anything.
  • Mods folder comes out to 1.61 GB.
  • My Sims 4 file installation is a bit weird. The game files (the executable/DLC, etc.) are in my SSD (boot up drive) but the Documents folder (saves, mods, screenshots, etc.) are in my HDD.
  • I prefer to have the game on windowed fullscreen but I'm aware having the game on fullscreen helps a tiny bit.

In this "new fresh save" I'd still import the played/unplayed households and lots from my current save file.

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    FPS drop isn't uncommon in this game, to be honest. Much seems to depend on your video card - it's some of the higher-end cards that have more issues. Particular San Myshuno areas seem hardest hit, and the more Sims and interactable objects you have on a lot, the more issues you will have.

For general lag, try these things:
    - check for duplicate CC
    - rename CC to have only numbers and letters in filenames
    - batch update mirror CC in Sims 4 Studio
    - refresh your gameplay folder (see below)
    - if you have a lot of files in your Tray folder (Library), consider storing it outside the gameplay folder until you need to get something from it
    - clear out your screenshots and videos (they can also be stored elsewhere)
    - empty inventories

folder refresh:
    1. Move (not copy) Saves, Tray, Mods, Screenshots, Videos, and Custom Music folders and the Options.ini file to your desktop. If there is a folder inside Saves called Scratch, delete it.
    2. Delete the rest of the The Sims 4 folder from your Documents > Electronic Arts folder.
    3. Start the game, and exit the game. Now you have a fresh Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 folder.
    4. Copy all the folders and the file back and start the game again.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    My PC is in the higher end and I'm experiencing a bit of fps drops to 30 depending on what my camera is looking at.
    Completely normal no matter how higher end your rig is. Not much can be done about it.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• VondiitaVondiita Posts: 198 Member
    FPS drop isn't uncommon in this game, to be honest. Much seems to depend on your video card - it's some of the higher-end cards that have more issues. Particular San Myshuno areas seem hardest hit, and the more Sims and interactable objects you have on a lot, the more issues you will have.

For general lag, try these things:
    - check for duplicate CC
    - rename CC to have only numbers and letters in filenames
    - batch update mirror CC in Sims 4 Studio
    - refresh your gameplay folder (see below)
    - if you have a lot of files in your Tray folder (Library), consider storing it outside the gameplay folder until you need to get something from it
    - clear out your screenshots and videos (they can also be stored elsewhere)
    - empty inventories

folder refresh:
    1. Move (not copy) Saves, Tray, Mods, Screenshots, Videos, and Custom Music folders and the Options.ini file to your desktop. If there is a folder inside Saves called Scratch, delete it.
    2. Delete the rest of the The Sims 4 folder from your Documents > Electronic Arts folder.
    3. Start the game, and exit the game. Now you have a fresh Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 folder.
    4. Copy all the folders and the file back and start the game again.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll do that stuff.
    My PC is in the higher end and I'm experiencing a bit of fps drops to 30 depending on what my camera is looking at.
    Completely normal no matter how higher end your rig is. Not much can be done about it.

I see, thanks for your response. I like your dog.
    edited January 2017
    Vondiita wrote: »

Thank you. She is a sweetie :)
    The main fps drops you are having is it when your zoomed out a little? When rotating or moving the camera? If that's the case then it's something we will have to live with, been happening for a while now.. even on a GTX 1080 card.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

The main fps drops you are having is it when your zoomed out a little? When rotating or moving the camera? If that's the case then it's something we will have to live with, been happening for a while now.. even on a GTX 1080 card.

Definitely more fps dropped zoomed out. What a nice card you have there.

Definitely more fps dropped zoomed out. What a nice card you have there.

Yep it's a great card. :)
    Fps drops when zoomed out is totally the norm for this game. ;)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    I had a terrible fps drop during geek-con on a gtx 970.. i think it's just the norm for the game.
  • ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    My game, rather my Sims, seem to stop moving every few minutes. Like the game is frozen, but it's not the clock is still running, tv is still playing, it's a mannequin challenge that I wasn't invited to >_>
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
    My game, rather my Sims, seem to stop moving every few minutes. Like the game is frozen, but it's not the clock is still running, tv is still playing, it's a mannequin challenge that I wasn't invited to >_>

That's a different kind of lag. But yea a lot of people are reporting similar issues since the toddlers patch.
    ohmyohmy wrote: »
    I had a terrible fps drop during geek-con on a gtx 970.. i think it's just the norm for the game.

Yes my old 970 was terrible.. dropped to 35-40fps.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

same here.. i just deal with it because i can't afford another high end card right now lol.

same here.. i just deal with it because i can't afford another high end card right now lol.

I wouldn't worry about another card, I have the GTX 1080 now (fastest card.) and still get the same drops LOL.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

I wouldn't worry about another card, I have the GTX 1080 now (fastest card.) and still get the same drops LOL.

well that eases my worries about upgrading LOL

The 970 is a good card.. stick with it for a while ;)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

that's my plan lol! it cost me a pretty penny so I plan to use it as long as I can. :)

I was gonna upgrade my card to the 1080 but I asked myself why, since I can run most games fine xD. So I bought the Vive instead lol

I was gonna upgrade my card to the 1080 but I asked myself why, since I can run most games fine xD. So I bought the Vive instead lol

Only reason i upgraded was because i was buying a full pc (my cpu was getting outdated.).. not just the card. I am also playing my games in 1440p (i play all the demanding games.)
    If i had not got a full pc i would of just kept the 970 for a little longer. But just for the sims a 1060 (in your case R9 290x.) is plenty.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• LinamintsLinamints Posts: 952 Member
    Another thing you could do that can help the game a bit (not sure if it'll help your FPS problem though) is merging your CC (BUT don't merge function mods). I tend to merge all sets of items (like downloading themed room decor from TSR), and it does help a bit with loading times.
    "Parenting is just like gardening, except if you let your garden die you don't go to prison." - Anna Blast
    Linamints wrote: »
    Another thing you could do that can help the game a bit (not sure if it'll help your FPS problem though) is merging your CC (BUT don't merge function mods). I tend to merge all sets of items (like downloading themed room decor from TSR), and it does help a bit with loading times.

Thanks for the response. I already merge all my CAS files into one file and Build/Buy in another, for the sake of organization xD.