Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Vampire Coven Challenge [Updated 02/04]

Comments

• cshanercshaner Posts: 2,620 Member
    Ok - I think for some reason I translated the original rolling rules wrong in my head. I'm not sure it matters though as the in game mechanics didn't work as expected anyway so you're changing the rolling results anyway. :smile:

I don't know all the mechanics seem very confusing to me, especially as you said, they have to have low relationship for certain mechanics to even be available. I'll probably have to play it out to learn for myself because I don't really understand your point here:

@cshaner Your #3 wouldn't have worked because if the leader lost then they would have been mortal. I still wanted to use the "slay" interaction so I modified your idea.

Sorry, I'm probably a little dense about this. Does a cure have to be present for the "Slay" option to even be available? If so...I guess I get it, that Slay will actually cure someone in the duel.

Again - it will all make more sense I'm sure when I'm actually to the point I can play these scenarios. I've really only tooled around in my vampire save for about an evening.

covensig800x200.jpg?w=676
    SimFluence - Where Sims Influence the Story
    Blood that Binds: A Vampire Coven Challenge Updated 04/22/2017
    Life Under Construction: A Drifter Challenge House 001 Completed 1/29/17 | Orphan Challenge: Harkins Family Completed 11/12/16
    Origin ID: cshaner07
  • StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    cshaner wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm probably a little dense about this. Does a cure have to be present for the "Slay" option to even be available? If so...I guess I get it, that Slay will actually cure someone in the duel.

Yep. The challenging sim must have the cure in their inventory for the "slay" interaction to be available. Upon winning the fight they will throw the cure at the other and the other will become mortal.

I had the cure in Keres' inventory too and when I clicked on the other sims it didn't have the option. That's how I realized it has to be either a low relationship or a mean sim which Dario is so he had the option with all of them.
    Ok, so in your revised rules.

1-30 (Duel) is only going to be a duel to challenge the leader to test their skills? They have no intention of becoming the new leader (at this time ... mwuhahaha)?

31-60 (Cure) is easy - "Hi, I don't wanna be a vampire anymore...Cure plz. Kk bye."

61-99 (Slay) will be a vampire challenges the leader to a duel for control of the coven. Challenger must have a cure in inventory. If the challenger wins, the Leader becomes cured and leaves the coven. :cry: If the challenge loses...they are fenced out in the sun to burn...as a lesson to the others not to mess with the leader.

Is this correct?
    Life Under Construction: A Drifter Challenge House 001 Completed 1/29/17 | Orphan Challenge: Harkins Family Completed 11/12/16
    @Rainydayz179 Is there any concern that having the roll weekly is going to drain the coven of mature vampires too quickly. 2/3 of the rolls will eliminate a vampire either to cure or slay every game week. Only by turning humans can you really keep your coven numbers up. If you have babies every time, there is a period of time while they grow up. Thoughts?
    @Rainydayz179 Is there any concern that having the roll weekly is going to drain the coven of mature vampires too quickly. 2/3 of the rolls will eliminate a vampire either to cure or slay every game week. Only by turning humans can you really keep your coven numbers up. If you have babies every time, there is a period of time while they grow up. Thoughts?

I was thinking the same thing. There's also the problem with a lower ranked vamp overthrowing a higher one and not being able to train the others. Which is what I'm going to have to deal with when I play it again. The problem is deciding on how often to do the roll. I agree that adding a bunch of children wouldn't make sense. I'm just afraid that if I spread it out too long without a roll it might get boring. With a regular legacy you have all kinds of goals to work towards but I didn't really make many other than the endgoals really. I guess that's what the playtesting period is for, lol.
  • alyseryan32alyseryan32 Posts: 54 Member

I really like this idea! I have yet to buy the pack yet only because I always wait a little bit to see the reviews and feedback on it. But other stories Lets Play videos and now this challenge have made me want to buy it so bad!

I had some ideas to maybe help make it interesting..

Maybe Female vamps couldn't try for baby unless
    • they were at a certain vamp level,
    • how many humans they have turned/brought to the stables for slaves
    • maybe have to have a high enough relationship with the leader first
    • have to have a certain amount of powers (like 2 from level one and level two then couldn't try again till they had some from other levels or something like that)
    And as for the rolling and seeing who gets to challenge leader or when..
    • They would have to duel a certain amount of vamps before they could try and/or win a certain amount with other vamps..

Also maybe it would be kinda cool if women could duel each other to try to be the Head female vamp (the leaders wife/girl friend whatever you would want to call it)

just a heads up I don't even know If any of this would actually work because I haven't actually played yet haha but I just gathered some these ideas by reading your challenge and watching/reading stuff about the pack.... which Im definitely buying right now :)
    @Rainydayz179 I'll continue to try and think of suggestions too.
    Also maybe it would be kinda cool if women could duel each other to try to be the Head female vamp (the leaders wife/girl friend whatever you would want to call it)

I like your ideas. The only problem with the dueling is they have to have a fairly low relationship to duel. So the whole coven would hate each other or the outside vamps that they challenge. We could do sparring which is a friendly interaction and builds their level just not as fast as dueling does.

I started out with my head vamp as a female actually. The new head vamp had his girlfriend turned but there's only one other grown female left in the coven and I wrote her as not interested in anyone really. She's mean and non-commital I believe. I suppose this would work if you had mostly females and didn't have kids like I did.

One of the reasons I left the rules kinda loose is I was hoping others would come up with ideas like you did to make their own version of the challenge. I'd love to hear how it goes once you get the pack.
    @Rainydayz179 I'll continue to try and think of suggestions too.

I watched some of The Sim Supply's vampire videos and the way he does it it's super quick to level up your vamps. I'm going to test some of his ideas out tomorrow and hopefully I'll have a better idea on how often the roll should be. But like I said above really it's up to you. I might do mine more often mostly because I get bored without shaking things up. :D
    @Rainydayz179 I totally understand. I will probably just use my own judgement. I already have in mind the first vampire that will challenge my matriarch. The rest seem to be a bit more go with the flow right now, there will be drama due to emotions and their lusty nature, but it may not be as dramatic as all the duel/cure/slay rules at least not at the start. I may actually give them time to get started, a few sim years pass before people start need to be shaken up and start really vying for power in the coven. I've finished off all the vampires for my coven. Just need to do a few more outfit choices for one more. But they are all made and will be ready to enter the coven when my matriarch calls them.

So excited. Even if I just loosely use your rules and don't actually play the 'challenge' per say it will still be fun.
    @cshaner Sounds great! I only rolled so quickly because I really needed to test it all out once the cure could be made and I'm glad I did even if it did complicate things for me play-wise.
    Ok - so I started the play (not writing) of my Coven Challenge last night - it's HARD!!!!!!!! Trying to gain skill, but not having a job, she's slowly going through money. I cannot find enough in Forgotten Hollow as far as harvestables or collectibles go. It's Thursday now of the first week and I'm down to 500 simoleans and no real income in site. I was going to start painting...I think I'm going to get one of the City Living jobs where you can work from home, like social media or something. That way I can work and get cash incoming but still be able to work from home some days as well.

I have finished the 3rd tome and have a 9 or 10 in Vampire Lore, so I could start getting the rest of the coven moved in. I have one human in the stable.

Oh - @Rainydayz179 do you call the humans over, of have the vampire go visit the stable? Just curious what you do - and if it even matters.
    @cshaner Hmm I don't remember having problems with money at the beginning. Yea there's not much for harvestables other than some dig sites in a couple places. Now they paint and write books. A few have jobs but it's kinda pointless and I'm thinking of having them quit. My main focus for the vampire lore at first was plasma pack creation. Learning that is the first thing any of them did. I just send my vamps over to the stable.

I played today. I wanted to yesterday but I bulldozed their lot, saved and then tried to go onto the gallery to look for a new one and it was down! I'll publish that chapter later today. I did manage in the end to get Dario's skill up enough to train them. I just realized I don't think I ever put the updated roll on the page on my blog!
    @Rainydayz179 I don't think you did either.

Yeah I was trying to have my leader write books but it's slower to start having to write at the library than painting. I do have two children's books published but together they make 7 a day. I switched her to painting today. I'll have someone else write when I get a computer. I do have two plasma fruit trees planted.

Oh I wanted to ask is the spirit of the rules to keep the aspiration you're working on (legacy style) or switching to gain rewards (Drifter style)?
    I updated the rules with the new roll. Sorry I forgot to before!

@cshaner I've been sticking to one aspiration and really I haven't been messing with them too much yet since I'm mostly testing out vampy stuff. You have frogs for breeding right? That's the most important part at first I think so that you can create lots of plasma packs if you need to. At first Keres had a job and she wasn't making anything really there but I started her painting after she quit.
    edited February 2017
    @Rainydayz179 No! I do not have frogs!! I'll have to get some of those too!!
    Wasn't it frogs and fish? Or was it frogs or fish?

EDIT - nevermind - looked it up on Carls! Yay. I cannot find any frog logs in Forgotten Hollow, but I'll head over to the other neighborhoods after sunset!
    Post edited by cshaner on
    Hey all!! I'm finally ready to start my new Coven Challenge story.

I'll be starting the story Saturday February 4, 2017 with Chapter 1. I plan on trying to do a once a week release schedule, because this is not pre-written like my Drifter Challenge. Blood that Binds will be a slower release.

Check out my Coven for Blood that Binds!
    Hey all! I'm thrilled to launch my new story Blood that Binds.

Join our Matriarch Elizabeth Stafford as she sets out on a journey to build a powerful Vampire Coven in Forgotten Hollow.

Blood that Binds: Chapter 1 - Ingratiate Yourself is now posted.
    btb01.jpg

• misfit091376misfit091376 Posts: 992 Member
    @cshaner Catching up on the forums now, then off to catch up on stories! I can't wait to see what you've come up with :)
    Thank you @misfit091376 I'm so excited to finally be starting my vampire story!! This is something I've been thinking about even before Vampires were announced. @Rainydayz179 challenge really gave me the structure and added dramatic elements (duel/cure/slay) to really keep the story flowing and changing through the years.

Even though the challenge itself is still changing - this gives me enough of a start that I can work with. I'm wondering though if I should tag my index page with a mature content warning. I absolutely know there will be some dark elements coming. Sensual, brutal, and little regard for human life, that's what my vampires are about.
    Even though the challenge itself is still changing - this gives me enough of a start that I can work with. I'm wondering though if I should tag my index page with a mature content warning. I absolutely know there will be some dark elements coming. Sensual, brutal, and little regard for human life, that's what my vampires are about.

I don't think the challenge will change any more than it has really.

As to a mature warning Sims 4 is rated teen so any blogging of the game should be considered teen as well in my opinion. I wouldn't rate it mature unless you were using some racey poses to take pics or using a mod like the MC Woohoo mod. But I'd advise against using it because I read on Twitter once that any teen pregnancy in blogs keeps you from getting featured or mentioned by the sims. Not that that happens to anyone very often.
    @Rainydayz179 Ok, I thought there were still a few things you were working out in the challenge like the breeding roll with the male vampires going to the stable to feed. You say once a week for feeding and mention needs more testing. Just an example.

I agree with your Teen Rating on my blog. I have the general rating of the story set to PG-13 (Teen rating in the US). I will however warn for any chapters that have a more mature rating (there will be racy screenshots occasionally and actions that could definitely fall in the 'evil' category (feeding on child sims, locking humans up for sport and feeding...) ).

I don't care too much about being featured or not... More as a warning for readers on what to expect content wise.
    @cshaner Oh I guess I haven't updated it on those points. I'm rotating through the vamps feeding two at a time in addition to the leader and I've been rolling for 10% for the breeding roll. Lemme go look if I ever changed it. I keep making myself notes to do this stuff and then losing them!

Wow you're going dark with yours eh? Locking up sims and feeding on children? Evil! >:)
    @Rainydayz179 Oooh I completely understand, I wasn't calling you out or anything - just saying that I didn't realize it was done when there still seemed to be some questions through the rules. That's all.

As for the darkness...that is my intent. We'll see if I can actually do it - obviously vampires cannot feed on children or toddlers in the game as is, but someone may have/make poses that facilitate that kind of story telling. And yes as far as locking up humans (possibly other vampires too), if you've ever seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer - the episode called The Wish where Cordelia makes a wish that Buffy never came to Sunnydale. There are scenes in the alternate reality where Vamp Willow is torturing Angel.
    @cshaner It's all good! Your reminder motivated me to go through all of the rules and change little bits here and there. Nothing big. I also took out all of the bold parts because they seemed really distracting to me. Some of my explanations seemed a bit unneeded too. I left the breeding roll up to the player to decide. I'm doing 10% but others might want a higher chance. I actually went through the rules on this thread when I pasted the new version here and fixed all of it so it looks nice. If there are any changes after this I'll just add them to the second post instead.

Would you believe I've only watched Buffy like twice ever? All I remember is a hot vampire guy. LOL