Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Vampire Coven Challenge [Updated 02/04]

Comments

• Options
    misfit091376misfit091376 Posts: 992 Member
    cshaner wrote: »

@misfit091376 That's awesome. So on that note Rainy, I guess we could possibly fill house ranks with outsider vamps if they were starter level (what is that minor)?

I thought so too :)
    @cshaner I wasn't sure if you knew cuz not many that I know of have done the challenge which is surprising cuz it's so fun. I need to catch up on raerei's blog but I've got all the drifters on my list ahead of hers. I'm just reading a bit every day and working my way down a long list!

Yea so I was thinking that as long as they are a Minor vamp or Fledgling they can join the coven after a loss to the coven. As to that Keres is on the 3rd tome and still hasn't learned the cure recipe!

I have the Dust to Dust and raerei's ready to read, just haven't had a chance to. It looks like a real fun challenge.
  • Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    I have the Dust to Dust and raerei's ready to read, just haven't had a chance to. It looks like a real fun challenge.

Dust to Dust is highly addictive. I usually read in short bursts between playing but that one I read pretty much non-stop until I finished it. I was reading Ashes to Ashes but I'm like way way behind on it right now and it's gonna take forever to catch up.
  • Options
    cshanercshaner Posts: 2,620 Member
    @Rainydayz179 @misfit091376 I I read D2D in a binge as well. It was so compelling. I also was a huge fan of A2A as well and have also fallen behind since the new generation switched to Teen/YA etc. Just didn't really keep my interest anymore really. She's a compelling writer though and her screenshots are amazing.
    covensig800x200.jpg?w=676
    SimFluence - Where Sims Influence the Story
    Blood that Binds: A Vampire Coven Challenge Updated 04/22/2017
    Life Under Construction: A Drifter Challenge House 001 Completed 1/29/17 | Orphan Challenge: Harkins Family Completed 11/12/16
    Origin ID: cshaner07
  • Options
    I I read D2D in a binge as well. It was so compelling. I also was a huge fan of A2A as well and have also fallen behind since the new generation switched to Teen/YA etc. Just didn't really keep my interest anymore really. She's a compelling writer though and her screenshots are amazing.

I've learned so much from her screenshotting and posing. I tried to emulate it story-wise but it's just not my thing. I'm not happy without a challenge! :D
  • Options

Dust to Dust is highly addictive. I usually read in short bursts between playing but that one I read pretty much non-stop until I finished it. I was reading Ashes to Ashes but I'm like way way behind on it right now and it's gonna take forever to catch up.

@Rainydayz179 @misfit091376 I I read D2D in a binge as well. It was so compelling. I also was a huge fan of A2A as well and have also fallen behind since the new generation switched to Teen/YA etc. Just didn't really keep my interest anymore really. She's a compelling writer though and her screenshots are amazing.

Um, yeah, I just binged the whole thing! That's why I've been non existent today lol. Now, I'm reading her D2D short stories lol. And I'll start A2A, but hopefully won't binge that one! She is an incredible writer and her screenshots are fantastic!
  • Options
    Um, yeah, I just binged the whole thing! That's why I've been non existent today lol. Now, I'm reading her D2D short stories lol. And I'll start A2A, but hopefully won't binge that one! She is an incredible writer and her screenshots are fantastic!

Haha I warned ya! :D
  • Options

Haha I warned ya! :D

I know lol! I didn't even get any playtime today!
  • Options
    I have tentative backstories for all 8 members of my coven. I also have the prologue type chapter written and screenshotted to set the stage. It's in my drafts and I'm itching to release it!!

I could continue to play and write my Drifter House 2 while starting to play and write my new Coven Challenge as well. I just worry I'll lose interest in one or the other. Perhaps I put too much pressure on myself and should do as I've done before. Play out the Drifter House since there is an end in sight and then write the whole generation and start playing the Coven Challenge and just release a chapter when I have something to post.

That way there is zero pressure on either front.
    Life Under Construction: A Drifter Challenge House 001 Completed 1/29/17 | Orphan Challenge: Harkins Family Completed 11/12/16
  • Options
    I also really like my character concepts and the conflict each of them has. I may just begin making my Vampire "families" as my matriarch will be starting alone I could see where she'll call over 2 or 3 of them at a time so I can create them and save them to my library in 2, 2, and 3 and invite them over to join the matriarch in small groups to avoid defection attention. :smile:

I just happened to think I need to figure out their internal relationships to each other. None are married to the others, though I do have one of my males secretly in love with one of the females.
  • Options
    @cshaner Sounds great! I love how much thought you're putting into this and I'm sure the story will reflect that.

I will say that trying to do more than one challenge at once has gotten very frustrating for me pretty darned quick. When Vampires was about to come out I played Drifter like a fiend trying to get a bunch of chapters pre-written because I was just sure that I wouldn't be interested in it for a good while. That wasn't the case and my mind strays back to Drifter constantly.

Also, switching between challenges with different rules keeps leaving me confused and constantly pausing to rethink things. Even with vamps I'll think they need to eat instead of drink! So I'm going to try playing one challenge a day. That way (hopefully) I won't get things mixed up because switching around wasn't working.

So I totally understand you wanting to finish one story first. I'm able to switch around more easily because of my loose writing style. ;)
  • Options
    @Rainydayz179 yes I'm definitely putting a lot of thought into character backstories and initial plot. I really want the game to inspire me too though so I'm not being as tight on my outline as I am for my Drifter challenge this go-around. I didn't have this right of an outline the first time through with Jack but since the house fail I decided having to re-do that poor Jack is going to encounter some serious drama this time around. Hee hee :naughty:

As for playing only one challenge per day, with work, school, social obligations etc I have no time to play more than one per day. Once I'm done with Jack I'll probably put the Drifters aside for a short time anyway while I get my coven really established.

I got one household (2 Vampires) created last night. Cannot wait to get the other 5 made over the next few days.
  • Options
    LumpyGravyLumpyGravy Posts: 38 Member
    Looks good! gonna have to look more closely at this challenge for the future, I also am working on a vamp themed challenge!
  • Options
    @cshaner I can't wait to see them!
  • Options
    LumpyGravy wrote: »
    Looks good! gonna have to look more closely at this challenge for the future, I also am working on a vamp themed challenge!

Nice. Let me know if you have any questions. The rules are way easier to read on my blog because when copying then pasting them here it takes out all of the spaces, bold print, ect.
  • Options
    @Rainydayz179 oh I'll definitely be doing a cast of characters for the story similar to how you did!
  • Options
    @cshaner @misfit091376 Umm guys I finally got a chance to test out the very expensive vampire cure... I have to re-write the spar/cure/slay roll! Ugh. So here's what I'm thinking...

1. Spar is something I've been having the leader do with whoever they're training that day so it's kinda useless here although it does sound cool. What I intended it for is actually dueling. So roll 1 is duel.
    2. Slay is actually cure. There is no slay. We'll leave it called slay though. So roll 2 is slay.
    3. There's despair which was the alternative to slay before I realized it was cure. One of the vamps despairs of living in the night and being immortal and takes the cure themselves and leaves the coven.
    4. Alternate to despair or in addition- Sun! The vampire that plans to challenge the leader is outed and executed. There's no way to "stake them out in the sun" but I guess we could fence them there as an example to the others? Kind of a replacement for what I thought slay did but kinda meaner than I expected that one to be.

So! I can't decide. Should it be duel/slay/despair or duel/slay/sun or duel/slay/despair/sun??? The percentages could have it so that there's only like a 5 or 10 percent chance of sun? I don't know! Help!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    @Rainydayz179 sorry in class all day for work. I'll give this some thought this evening and respond back.

I kinda like the idea of locking them in the sun to die for really bad infractions but I need to think more.

Honestly reading through your roll options I think I'm confused.

I understood 1-30. - challenge the leader for control by sparring. Loser takes the cure.

31-60 - Despair being a vampire. Take the cure and leave the coven voluntarily.

61-99 - challenge the leader for control and loser is killed.

Did I have that wrong?
  • Options
    @Rainydayz179 I'm not getting my notifications until they're way past being posted :( I would go for all 4. That would make it a little more interesting.
  • Options
    @cshaner

It was spar/cure/slay ...

1 Spar with leader but for some reason I thought spar was like what is actually called duel. Spar is something in the friendly category not even in the vampire menu that I've just been using to up their vamp skills.

2 Fight with leader with both having cure in inventories and loser gets cured but it doesn't work that way because the only way a vamp can cure a vamp is through the slay interaction and only the one that starts challenges the other needs to have the cure. I must have misunderstood when they talked about that in the livestream.

3 Slay I thought would actually kill the loser but it cures them there's no slaying involved it's just a goofy term and kinda confusing really so if we want to keep some form of death to the loser we'll have to do it ourselves via the sun

Despair was the alternate to slay if you didn't want to kill any vamps.
  • Options
    @Rainydayz179 I'm not getting my notifications until they're way past being posted :( I would go for all 4. That would make it a little more interesting.

Oh that's gotta be frustrating! I'm thinking all four as well now that I've had some time to calm down from the whole thing, lol. :D
  • Options

Oh that's gotta be frustrating! I'm thinking all four as well now that I've had some time to calm down from the whole thing, lol. :D

It really is :( It was showing my latest posts at 9am, even after refreshing lol. I think I've found all the new ones! And I will get back into this one. I'm having issues in drifter right now that I'm trying to resolve lol.
  • Options
    nastyjmannastyjman Posts: 1,218 Member
    Been checking the rules in this challenge. It is inspiring and is giving me ideas! :)

I have one I want to share:

How about having vampires fight twice, and the outcome of those fights determine their fate.

If the challenging vamp wins both, they take over the coven and the former leader is slain.

If the challenging vamp wins the first round, but loses the second, they will be banished from the coven.

If the challenging vamp loses the first round, but wins the second, they will not be banished, but will be pubished.

Finally, if the challenging vamp loses twice, they are slain.

These are just suggestion and can be ultimately discarded. Just wanted to throw in an idea and hope it gets you perculating. :)
    TLC_banner_2021_downscale.png
  • Options
    @nastyjman Your ideas are welcome! Discovering that I had the way things work incorrect has kind of thrown me off and I haven't really been sure what to do since the whole challenge revolves around this roll!
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @Rainydayz179 spar/cure/slay my thoughts.

1. -So one of the options we were calling spar is duel. That's fine. 1-30 = Duel.

2 - So you never intended for #2 to be the despair? It was always going to be a lesser punishment for dueling with the leader where loser takes the cure? Hmmm I totally misread that and thought 31-60 was the despair option. Fine. So there is a wonky mechanic in place for one vampire attempting to cure another...is it like..

"HA! I'm going to make you human and take over the coven...we are going to duel and I'm going to cure you!"

Hmmm this seems wonky - especially with the game mechanic of the one who carries the cure having to be the defender in the combat. I would make #2 the despair option out right and just say if you roll the 31 - 60 that person has decided "I've had enough, I miss tasting food and want to live a full and happy life and then die peacefully at the end...I'm taking the cure."

3 - So the option is slay...but it doesn't really slay them, it just causes them to be cured? Is the "cure" a necessary component in this slay interaction? I would say 61-99 is actually the lock in the sun option to really remove them via - perma-death (or the True-Death as they say in TrueBlood). I would say the duel action happens, then the loser gets locked in the sun to burn, while together the rest of the coven looks on as a display of the power.

This process would still make it spar-duel/cure/slay. That's just my thought. There would still be a duel for option 1 and 3. It's completely up to you as it's your challenge of course. But I would probably consider making it varied and interesting by making the first option a duel, the second option a despair and the final option True Death or burn in the sun.

That is my opinion, but will play by whatever rules you decide upon. As a note - I would be in favor of the person begging to not be slain in the sun and a lesser punishment for #3 to be just cure and banished from the coven.

• Options
    Here's how it is written right now since I am still trying to decide:

"Once a week you will roll for a random number 1-99:

1-30 One of the up and coming vamps of your choice spars with the leader to prove their skill.

31-60 A vampire must challenge the leader for control of the coven. This can be a vampire of your choosing or you can roll between the matured vampires to decide. Both the leading and the vampire challenging them should have the cure in their inventory so that the loser will become mortal and thus required to leave the coven.

61-99 A vampire of your choosing or a vampire you rolled for can attempt to slay the leader.

Alternate to #3- A vampire of your choosing or that you rolled for succumbs to despair (immortality sickness) and chooses to use the cure to become human and leave the coven."

Okay so I think I'm going with duel/despair/slay-sun.

1-30 One of the up and coming vamps of your choice challenges the leader to a duel to prove their skill. Note: must lower relationship considerably for this interaction to be available unless they have the mean trait so choose the challenger wisely.

31-60 A vampire of your choosing succumbs to despair and chooses to ask the leader to take the cure so that they may lead a mortal life and leave the coven. Their reasoning is up to you storywise and will most likely change from one instance to the next.

61-99 A vampire must challenge the leader for control of the coven. The challenging vampire should have the cure in their inventory for the option to be available. Their relationship will need to be quite low as well. If they succeed the leader is made mortal and is banished making the winner the new leader. If the challenger fails they will be left out in the sun to perish as the others watch from shade to witness what happens if they challenge the leader. (Turn autonomy off for the "watching" so they don't all run around in the sun)

@cshaner Your #3 wouldn't have worked because if the leader lost then they would have been mortal. I still wanted to use the "slay" interaction so I modified your idea.

Thanks everyone for help with this! I'm going to leave it here for awhile to see if anyone notices some mistake I didn't before I change the rules.