Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Pen Pal Project - For All Games!

Comments

• CharliimaiCharliimai Posts: 1,773 Member
    Forgot to mention Dusk will be handwriting his letters as he will when he moves though his life have a unique way of sending and recieving correspondance. So as soon as i get back online i will post a link to his letter for any prospective penpals that includes his address.
    cSXsPD.jpg

Read my Legacy story's or atttempt one of my Sims 4 challenges.
    Charlii Mai's Blogs and Challenges

Read All of my Latest stories all in one place.
    RainbowPlumbob (Wordpress)

Here is the First letter from Dusk to his soon to be Penpal.

Here is the Menu page for Dusk's story From Dusk to Dawn. It has a picture of all 3 versions of him if anyone is curious,
    cSXsPD.jpg

• sweetnightingalesweetnightingale Posts: 2,084 Member
    @Charliimai - Just got done reading Dusk's profile and first letter. Poor guy! :( I hope he can overcome his fears and anxiety and live a happy, full life. Sounds like he's been through a lot of unhappiness and I can understand why he's lonely.

Any of my Sims I have in the project would certainly write to him. All of them are witches/wizards so they're not quite "human" in the way he's looking for. If you're looking for absolutely no supernaturals for Dusk's pen pal and if nobody steps forward, I can dust off one of my human Sims for Dusk exclusively (I have TONS of Sims in my bin). Feel free to have a look at Lenora, Liam, and Mathilda to see if he might be interested. If not and if nobody steps forward, I'm sure I can come up with something.
    36314395402_b6f8316264_z.jpg]
    Simming With Sweet Nightingale.Forever in Time, Short Stories, and much more
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    @Charliimai I've got you listed on the first pages! :) So happy you're taking part. I really like Dusk a lot. I PM'd you with an idea--let me know if you think it'll work, and if not, I'm sure we'll be able to find someone great for you and Dusk! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @sweetnightingale i simply adore Liam although i just don't know if he's right for Dusk right now. I think maybe after he's lived a little. It could work my only issue with my story is knowing that his penpals are supernaturals will change his struggle with immortality when his life changes.

@CathyTea pm'd you.
    cSXsPD.jpg

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Charliimai wrote: »
    @sweetnightingale i simply adore Liam although i just don't know if he's right for Dusk right now. I think maybe after he's lived a little. It could work my only issue with my story is knowing that his penpals are supernaturals will change his struggle with immortality when his life changes.

@CathyTea pm'd you.

before my game broke ayden was the oldest or one of them but after i started again hes 2
    @Charliimai - No problem. :) Supernaturals aren't a good fit at certain times but hopefully someone will be right for Dusk so you can participate. I'm so glad you adore Liam. :) I'm very fond of him myself, and he seems to be a favorite with a few folks.

@friendsfan367 - Sorry to hear your game has been giving you such fits. It's devastating to lose all your Sims and progress. Hopefully Ayden will be able to participate soon and that everything will run smoothly this time.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    @Charliimai - No problem. :) Supernaturals aren't a good fit at certain times but hopefully someone will be right for Dusk so you can participate. I'm so glad you adore Liam. :) I'm very fond of him myself, and he seems to be a favorite with a few folks.

@friendsfan367 - Sorry to hear your game has been giving you such fits. It's devastating to lose all your Sims and progress. Hopefully Ayden will be able to participate soon and that everything will run smoothly this time.

i started the benders over but i'm writing the backstory so while ayden is in my game i haven't caught up to that part yet.
    edited January 2017
    Here's Meadow's reply to Dove! Meadow - Dove 4

(Dove had big news in the letter this replies to!)

EDIT: forgot to tag! @Xantheanmar
    Post edited by CathyTea on

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    edited January 2017
    @CathyTea - Here is Liam's next letter to Jasper. :)

liam-on-computer-1-medium.jpg?w=1024&h=614

Liam to Jasper 2
    Right. :) So, Liam and Lenora both owe letters to Emily. I will try to get something up today, @RipuAncestor . Please forgive my slow response. We've been super busy with Lions Club stuff over the last few days, so it's been hard to actually complete a chapter or letter, in this case. Today's the first chance I've had to actually sit down and crank out a post and I'm doing my best to get caught up. :)

@CathyTea - My brain has been so fried lately, so I'll apologize in advance if I've already asked this. Do you want Mathilda to write to Giuliana first or do you want Giuliana to start things off? :)
    @sweetnightingale I think either way will be fine, with Giuliana and Mathilde! I can imagine Giuliana being intrigued by her profile and wanting to write a REAL goddess! :) I will be going into play Giuliana sometime this week, since she'll be writing to Dusk, so if you'd like, I could grab screenshots for her first letter to Mathilde!

And it seems to me like you're doing a great pace with the letters!

One note about collabs: It can be very easy to get burned out--especially when we start with enthusiasm! So, I think that as long as we're each able to write a letter a week, we'll be able to keep a connection with the project so that it doesn't stall out and continues to move forward. More than one a week is fine and great! And... an extra bonus!

(And of course sometimes we'll need to take longer breaks, and that's fine, too, and can be worked into the overall Project, as, with real pen pals, sometimes the correspondence can stop--even for a year or more--and then pick up again!)

So... the key to this project is: flexibility and making it work and fit your own schedule! :)

@CathyTea - Awesome! Yes, if you want to grab those screenshots for Giuliana's first letter, that works for me. :) Mathilda will definitely write back and tell her what it's like to be a real goddess. :) Mathilda's led a very interesting life and will have lots of adventures and stories to tell Giuliana.

Gosh, I know what you mean! I've seen things come to a screeching halt after such enthusiasm was displayed in the beginning. Me, I've always enjoyed pen paling in real life, so this is definitely a lot of fun. A letter a week is a good goal and more is always a welcome bonus. I like that we're so flexible here, as I was never one to like a strict regimen. LOL! I guess I'm just a bit of a free spirit at times.

I like that we're so flexible here, as I was never one to like a strict regimen. LOL! I guess I'm just a bit of a free spirit at times.

So awesome... knowing everyone who's participating, I'm guessing this statement fits all of us! :D

• AllieMacAllieMac Posts: 925 Member
    Hi @CathyTea! *waving madly* and everyone else!!

I keep find myself being pulled over here. I'm so intrigued by the thought of this. And am sooo tempted to have Cassia join y'all. I almost think she'd be perfect for Dusk to write to. I imagine their personalities would be practically polar opposites which should make for some entertaining letters. I'm just not sure if I'm quite ready to jump into the pool yet. For one, since Cassia is part of an ongoing challenge, she could quite easily age A LOT faster than any pen pal she was matched up with. Which seems to pose a logistics problem. Are most of the sims participating played with aging off? How are y'all coordinating those types of issues? Or am I just making this way more complicated than it has to be? (which is a special gift of mine - over complicating things :))

My other idea I've been toying with. Is wait for a future Rambler generation and use one of my siblings to join the pen pal program. Then I could play them in an alt save independent of my Drifter Challenge and tell their story through the letters. (instead of working letters into an already existing story that I"m hoping to wrap up soon.)

Or behind door #3. Start up a new legacy (whatever) to play when I have writer's block and use the letters to tell THAT story.

Told ya I can make the easiest things difficult...

So any thoughts, suggestions, or input y'all?
    OriginID: txalikat2
    Drifter Challenge Blog: https://alliemacsims.wordpress.com/
    7dQ4hDJ.jpg?1
    @AllieMac @Charliimai Oh, wow! Cassia writing to Dusk would be so great!

It does seem that most of the pen pals are in aging off or story-paced aging situations (meaning it can take a while for them to age, and aging might happen incrementally); however, I can think of a few ways this can work, and I'm sure there are lots more possibilities!

1) Some of the Sims, like Dusk and like @sweetnightingale 's are supernaturally immortal! So it would make sense for their pen pals to age at a different rate!

2) We can think of the Pen Pal Project of connecting universes! And... time passes differently in different universes!

So, I think we can find a way for your Sim's participation to work, even if they're in normal life span challenges!

(And Cassia is such a great Sim! Plus, then she'd have someone else to talk with besides Jack! :D )

@AllieMac - I hope you (and Cassia) join. The more, the merrier! :)

I like @CathyTea 's ideas on how to deal with the aging. For the Sims I have participating, they are all immortal. :) Meaning, they have been given Age Freeze at YA stage, and they have Death Flowers in their inventories (I do my stuff in Sims 3). So, the aging issue, at least for these Sims, is nonexistent.

My Sims are part of my "Forever in Time" story so I can easily work the letters in there. That doesn't have to be the case for everyone though, and this project could be something totally separate and apart from someone's main story, if they choose that direction. :)

@CathyTea - That statement would definitely fit us all here. :) I know if I even tried to conform to a rigid schedule, I'd totally blow it and get majorly frustrated with myself. LOL.

@CathyTea

I just knew you'd give me that little nudge I needed! Perfect solution once again my friend! IF Cassia was writing to a supernatural/immortal being, then her faster aging process would fit AND her next heir could discover a letter after she passes on, write to inform the penpal of Cassia's passing, and then potentially continue with the correspondence. So essentially the immortal would actually be penpals with my Rambler Family as opposed to only Cassia herself - which would leave me open to either continue using my heir as the generations go forward for the program or any other future family member like a sibling. Hoped I explained that clearly. Sometimes my ideas get ahead of my brain and it's hard to express them succinctly. hehe Guess there's a little Cassia in me after all. :)

I can already picture Cassia telling Jack all about the penpal program that she discovered online and her excitement when her first letter arrives.

Is Dusk an immortal? Or is there another immortal that anyone knows of that would be a good match for her. I was thinking Dusk would be perfect because from what I saw he seems rather reclusive and melancholy while Cassia, well... she's a completely different type of bird than most. hehe Jack is her pet goldfish. :)
    7dQ4hDJ.jpg?1
    @AllieMac That would be so awesome for the heir to continue the letter-writing tradition!

• RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    Right. :) So, Liam and Lenora both owe letters to Emily. I will try to get something up today, @RipuAncestor . Please forgive my slow response. We've been super busy with Lions Club stuff over the last few days, so it's been hard to actually complete a chapter or letter, in this case. Today's the first chance I've had to actually sit down and crank out a post and I'm doing my best to get caught up. :)
    It's alright. I myself have been too lazy/busy to open up my Sims for a while. Mostly because I've been slowly trying to write some new story chapters before I get to screenshotting. But I'm ready to write letters pretty much whenever; there's no rush. :)

doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    ch1_01_zps6lvrnmt9.gif

Hello Seth,
    The computer showed me your letter, and I assume this means we have been matched as pen pals. What’s it like, living with another person? I mean, I’ve done it before, in another life, but the past is thinner than the present.

The Tuesday Garden

(Anya's first letter to Seth is ready!
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    Having caught up to the rest of the thread:
    AllieMac and Charliimai, welcome to the project! We've got all sorts of people now.

@Charliimai, my character, Anya, is also going to be spending a lot of time in a house. Time is sort of weird where she is, though... I have a feeling that she and Dusk would have some similar issues in terms of isolation.

@AllieMac, I love the idea of a generational pen pal setup. Especially because I think that each heir would bring something new and valuable to the table in a decades-long correspondence with an immortal.

Looking forward to all the new posts!
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
    @AllieMac I love Cassia. Wish I had more time to read today I seriously laughed all the way though the 2 chapters I just read. You are right she is the complete opposite of Dusk. She's the fun(ny) that he's missing :D
    I would love for her and Dusk to become pen pals.

As for Dusk's Immortality status he isn't a vampire to begin with but around 2 or so letters in his circumstances will change and immortality soon follows.

Thank you for the nice welcome @Scribal_Goddess. I'm really intrigued by Anya's story, I'll be following her and Seth @MedleyMisty.
    cSXsPD.jpg

edited January 2017
    @Scribal_Goddess @sweetnightingale Thanks for the warm welcome! Nice to "meet" y'all! :)

I thought the generational thing could be a cool thing to explore. I would assume a supernatural would appreciate the variety it would lend to the letters over the decades. I try to make each generation different, so I would imagine the way they relate to their pen pal would naturally shift as well.

@Charliimai I've been lurking on this thread almost since @CathyTea came up with the idea, thinking "one day that might be cool to try". Then I saw your profile for Dusk appear and the wheels started spinning! He just seems so perfect for Cassia and I would imagine he needs someone like her in his life. :)

One thing you should know about her before deciding though - she has a phobia that is beginning to develop which might impact your decision to pick her as a pen pal. While I've played ahead in my game and am basically in a strictly writing phase now, the Vampire pack came out after I finished playing her generation (she currently has about 3-4 sim days left before her heir will begin the next House challenge). So although she hasn't had any direct contact with them, she has heard rumors of their existence and isn't too keen on the thought of them.

Honestly I'm not sure how she'd react to learning her pen pal is one. I would expect it to be quite entertaining though. hehe. And it would definitely be fun finding out! I know she wouldn't be mean or cruel, she simply isn't capable of that. But her ignorance will probably see her putting her foot in her mouth on multiple occasions. And I don't know if Dusk would necessarily see the humor in it or become highly offended. Whether she ends up with a life long friend or an angry vampire that she's afraid is going to come get even with her. It would definitely make for an interesting story with some twists I think. I just wouldn't want to upset any authors by unintentionally insulting their beloved Sims. :) From what I gather the TS4 vampires when left on their own aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. And since I'm doing the Drifter Challenge and can only control my heir I would imagine when my heirs do meet them, they're not going to be overly impressed by their logic. (again all speculation at this point because I haven't gone in game since buying the game pack).

Anyway I'm probably overthinking and complicating this all way too much. But just thought you or any other supernatural author should be aware of how naive she actually is. Add that to her tendency to say ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that pops into her head, there's no telling what she's bound to write in a letter.

The chapter I had lined up to post today actually starts referring to her 'phobia', but I think this will be the perfect time story-wise for her to actually join the pen pal program. So I hope to write up her application later today and sneak it in before resuming my regular posting schedule.

Ok enough rambling from me. Sorry if this was way more involved than y'all wanted. It's just my process for taking on something new. I simply have to look at all angles before diving in. :)

Have fun y'all & Happy writing!
    7dQ4hDJ.jpg?1
    @RipuAncestor - Here's Lenora's response to Emily. :)

lenora-on-conputer-1-medium.jpg?w=1024&h=614
    Lenora to Emily 2