Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

5 lots? This must be a joke.

Comments

• TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    This is true but the principal stands. Gamers need to stand united, not apart and we always need to push the game producers to give us more for our money rather than less. :)
    In principle, I agree with you.

But in this instance, it really comes down to differences of opinion about what is "worth it" and what kind of content expectations there should be for a GP. Asking for more is great, as long as it's realistic. In this case, it seems to me that they put most of their resources into the life state itself. With OR, it was vitally important that a wooded outdoor area be large enough to feel like a wooded outdoor area. There was no such thematic need here, concerning size. Arguably, the opposite theme, in fact, as Vampires are often portrayed as living in smaller areas, closed off or hidden from the rest of society.

I am all for asking for more, as long as it makes sense. And the reality is, we as gamers are not always going to agree about where that line is.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Valmion wrote: »
    @Valmion

Last reply to you as you again are missing my point.

In general.... not in specifics.... gamers need to always push the game designers for more content, better content, deeper game play content etc. if we (in general) settle for less... for smaller worlds, less game play, less aspirations, emotions whatever... then that will become the standard.

It is important for simmers to want more... always; and for that wanting to be reflected in our feedback.

My comment is no attack. Not on the Vamp Game Pack (which I have been waiting for since day one) nor on any singular individual. It is merely a post pointing out that pushing for more quality in games is an important part of feedback to game designers.

If you choose to see it as an 'argument' then that misconception is on you as that is not my intention at all.

*edited: side issue I always equate value for money with 'how many coffees'... to-date The Sims has always won out... but I will always push for more for less because as gamers we pay a lot of money into our hobby.

No argument at all, the worst thing about forums, you never hear the "tone" of the conversation. We both made our points, carry on good sir :)

Female actually! ;)
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Back in the days before TS3 launched seems to me I fought off hordes of TS2 fans who "fought the power"

Down with Rabbit Holes!
    Down With Story progression and the demise of rotational play!
    Down with RPG game play!
    Down with the pudding face!
    Down with the Store!

They were extremely concerned about the future of the franchise.
    Maybe EA listened? Just sayin' B)

Hmm..it's pretty unbelievable that simmers are happily to settle for less for their money these days. There is no reason why that should be so.

It is going to cost quite a bit of money to purchase all the dlc for the Sims 4 by the time the end arrives. Let's make sure what we get is quality, not just any old thing accepted out of lackadaisical interest.

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • PrincessVeePrincessVee Posts: 1,787 Member
    In my opinion 5 lots is a fair amount, especially that the neighbourhood looks pretty amazing and has a really cool vibe. Sure, it would be awesome to have more lots, but I wouldn't really expect a bigger world from a GP.

Why? OR was much, much larger. Not only in amount of lots but also in the space our sims can actually walk around freely in.

Don't lower your expectations or we will end up getting nothing! It's important as fans we give our feedback and stop this 'grateful to get anything' approach. We pay for the content... let's get as much value for our buck as possible.

First, none of us have gotten to walk around the neighborhood, we don't know how big it is. Second, how can you even think of lowered expectations when we just saw a trailer of perhaps the most creative content in this game to date. It's twenty bucks, how many movies do you go see, as this is much more bang for the buck.

You misunderstand me... I am not commenting on the standard of the pack... it looks to be great.

I am, however, talking about the size we can expect from a Game Pack. it is obvious that OR shipped with far more space. It does not take a rocket scientist to see this.

Less of the defensive knee-jerk reactionism and more of the thoughtful consideration of a fellow simmers concerns for the expectations to be held high to keep EA accountable for providing a value-for money gaming experience.

(*also it is $40 bucks where I live and I don't go to movies as I prefer to spend my time playing games. Funny how when you jump to conclusions they are usually incorrect *shrug*)

Does it take a rocket scientist to see that OR was a VACATION PACK with the focus on camping and THE CAMPING LOCATION aka the world?
    And Vampires GP focuses on vampires and their abilities as opposed to the world?

It kind of makes sense that a vacation pack about camping would have a bigger world. It's its selling point. Camping, tents, bonfire, spooky stories... The world was a given. After all, sims needed a place to go camping. They couldn't just place a tent in their backyard and be like "Yup. I'm on vacation".

On the other hand. No one expected Vampires GP to even have any type of world or neighborhood. Because it's not a pack about a world and things to do there. It's a pack about vampires and their specific lifestyle.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

edited January 2017
    Triplis wrote: »
    This is true but the principal stands. Gamers need to stand united, not apart and we always need to push the game producers to give us more for our money rather than less. :)
    In principle, I agree with you.

But in this instance, it really comes down to differences of opinion about what is "worth it" and what kind of content expectations there should be for a GP. Asking for more is great, as long as it's realistic. In this case, it seems to me that they put most of their resources into the life state itself. With OR, it was vitally important that a wooded outdoor area be large enough to feel like a wooded outdoor area. There was no such thematic need here, concerning size. Arguably, the opposite theme, in fact, as Vampires are often portrayed as living in smaller areas, closed off or hidden from the rest of society.

I am all for asking for more, as long as it makes sense. And the reality is, we as gamers are not always going to agree about where that line is.

Yeah, for sure... in detail that is a good point. It is comments like ... "I didn't expect a world" though are nonsense. Expectations should be high.

Although every project will have a budget in person-hours and finances etc it still needs fans feedback to the developers and decision makers to know we want more.

It's a simple point. Very surprised people can't see it actually.

edited January 2017
    In my opinion 5 lots is a fair amount, especially that the neighbourhood looks pretty amazing and has a really cool vibe. Sure, it would be awesome to have more lots, but I wouldn't really expect a bigger world from a GP.

Why? OR was much, much larger. Not only in amount of lots but also in the space our sims can actually walk around freely in.

Don't lower your expectations or we will end up getting nothing! It's important as fans we give our feedback and stop this 'grateful to get anything' approach. We pay for the content... let's get as much value for our buck as possible.

First, none of us have gotten to walk around the neighborhood, we don't know how big it is. Second, how can you even think of lowered expectations when we just saw a trailer of perhaps the most creative content in this game to date. It's twenty bucks, how many movies do you go see, as this is much more bang for the buck.

You misunderstand me... I am not commenting on the standard of the pack... it looks to be great.

I am, however, talking about the size we can expect from a Game Pack. it is obvious that OR shipped with far more space. It does not take a rocket scientist to see this.

Less of the defensive knee-jerk reactionism and more of the thoughtful consideration of a fellow simmers concerns for the expectations to be held high to keep EA accountable for providing a value-for money gaming experience.

(*also it is $40 bucks where I live and I don't go to movies as I prefer to spend my time playing games. Funny how when you jump to conclusions they are usually incorrect *shrug*)

Does it take a rocket scientist to see that OR was a VACATION PACK with the focus on camping and THE CAMPING LOCATION aka the world?
    And Vampires GP focuses on vampires and their abilities as opposed to the world?

It kind of makes sense that a vacation pack about camping would have a bigger world. It's its selling point. Camping, tents, bonfire, spooky stories... The world was a given. After all, sims needed a place to go camping. They couldn't just place a tent in their backyard and be like "Yup. I'm on vacation".

On the other hand. No one expected Vampires GP to even have any type of world or neighborhood. Because it's not a pack about a world and things to do there. It's a pack about vampires and their specific lifestyle.

We can all justify EA's budget limitations and spending decisions all we like. I am very surprised to see simmers defending it though I have to admit. I felt my point was rather obvious and very matter of fact. *shrug*

I guess people are happier with less costing more.

I think many people expected less because that is what we have become used to in TS4. I think that is a shame as we should have been able to confidently expect more than 5 lots.

edited January 2017
    TS3 got worlds... TS4 get 5 lots.
    I'm not talking silly ideas here. I'm talking facts.

The neighborhood we are getting looks stunning.... but it is less. That is a fact. You can counter argue that but the vamps are more fully fleshed out... true, from what we know so far. That is not my point.

It would have been wonderful to have received a new world along with the improved vamps that we appear to be getting.

I still fail to see how anyone can argue with that point! it just simply does not compute with me.

I'm not telling anyone anything @SuzieSocks and I am also not ever going to agree that wanting more and pushing for more out of a game is a negative thing in any way. Any other gaming community would not see this stand point as an issue.

Perhaps it is those who consistently wish to argue my point are the ones telling someone they are wrong...

• SuzieSocksSuzieSocks Posts: 185 Member

I'm not really 'grateful to get anything'... I much prefer to have a pretty and atmospheric neighborhood than something that is just... big. It's 'quality over quantity' for me. I'm not a fsn of OR as it feels empty to me. Yeah, the world is pretty big, but there is nothing to do there really. My sims go to Granite Falls very rarely, since it's just boring to me. It's nice to have a vacation option, but I don't have much use of it in my game.
    I can't really tell before I play Vampire GP, but it seems pretty interesting and it seems to add lots of gameplay, stuff, plus - new world, which looks amazing to me so far. So I don't mind the world not being the biggest ever.
    Maybe I'm a bit biased since vampires will probably never be the main and most important part of my game.

I'm not after 'the biggest ever' I'm after...raising simmers awareness of not settling for less. EA will make money cuts wherever possible as that is their responsibility to the share holders...

As gamers, we need to always push for more... and quality. Not one at the expense of the other.

You seem to be missing that some people are telling you they don't actually feel like they are "settling for less". If you feel like that it's fine, but you don't get to tell other people that they're wrong for not feeling the same way you do about it.
    Yes, I like and enjoy Sims 4. The world will not end because of this. Get over it.
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    Spa day and Dine out didn't have a world, Outdoor retreat had a world of 6 lots, but as a destination, GTW was 4 lots (only 1 empty lot on 4), and City living 7 lots (I don't have it myself, but from what's I've read from people that have it it's 7 or so, but 0 empty lot), we got Newcrest for free, and people 🐸🐸🐸🐸 complain about 5 lots being unacceptable for a game pack? Are you kidding me? Not too long ago there was a thread about if people would be fine with no new worlds if the focus was on gameplay and at almost 95% people said they would be fine if there's not a world in each game and expansion pack. City living had 0 empty lot, and yet it was a pack about a big city, 0 empty lot, and can't even build your own apartments, and yet everyone praised that stupid pack, but for a game pack a world with 5 empty lots is not good enough? This is the first game pack that have a world we can live in, and build in, and people complain?
    gCQKjq4.png
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    klovesjen wrote: »
    I was quite disappointed when I read about the "world" being one block with 5 lots. That is not a world. It is a street. Being able to see a fake world you can't actually do much with doesn't count to me. It's like rolling in a pretty backdrop behind the one usable street. It seems you likely can't actually go to or use most of what you see in the background.

However, the Sims 4 worlds are just not the same, they are not very reminiscent of Sim City where you can build your own city. The Sims originally seemed a way you could not only build a city, you could then play with the people in the city. Now, we have Sims with the emotional depth and sense of robots, and we cannot even design our cities anymore. SO disappointing.

I feel like starting to work on a list of suggestions for Sims 5, because Sims 4 is just so fundamentally different I doubt it will ever become what I want it to. It feels like a tablet game. A street with 5 lots? That sounds great... for a tablet game.

I play Sims 2 and 3 and am immersed for hours. I play Sims 4 with brand new packs I've never played with and struggle to get involved in the game... the shallow robotic-ness and lack of feeling of a bustling sim city is very difficult to get past.

Just had a fight with your neighbour? Don't worry, your Sim will autonomously try to tell a joke immediately after your angry interactions, and wildly gesture in an exaggerated and irritating fashion. Then he will go and make some food and flail as he exaggeratedly scrapes at his pan.
    Exaggerated, robotic, flip on a dime emotions.. blah. Maybe the vampires system will be different. I wish they would rip out the emotional system and just use what worked, as in Sims 2 or Sims 3!

End of rant.

How did you get feeling of a bustling city from The Sims 2? Curious, lol.
    Plus, The Sims 4 sims are a huge improvement over The Sims 3 Sims, in terms of "roboticness".
    edited January 2017

We can all justify EA's budget limitations and spending decisions all we like. I am very surprised to see simmers defending it though I have to admit. I felt my point was rather obvious and very matter of fact. *shrug*

I guess people are happier with less costing more.

I think many people expected less because that is what we have become used to in TS4. I think that is a shame as we should have been able to confidently expect more than 5 lots.

I like how you skipped all the other points that I made:)
    I'm not trying to justify anyone's limitations. Sims 4 has its flaws, but this is simply not one of them.
    I'll repeat once again. The world is not the focus. Vampires are.
    If you want to buy a pound of apples and get an extra apple for free, who are you to complain that the apple is a bit smaller than the ones you bought before?

Again, nothing screams to me that vampires GP necessarily had to come with a world. Not every pack comes with a world. And it's okay.
    Stop demanding free stuff. This is not a magical utopia where you get everything for nothing. $20 is a one meal at a restaurant or 1 adult + 1 child movie ticket. For this price you get fleshed out vampires with tons of customization, superpowers, vampire hunters, a bunch of gameplay objects, + a ton of cas and build/buy mode items. Many people had to work many hours to make all of this happen. And you pay only 20 dollars. For all of this.

In a comparison, in sims 3 store a world cost around 5000 sim points. And you had to pay like 80 bucks for a bit more than 10000 sim points.
    A price of one world would be around 40 dollars.
    Intel i7-6700HQ; nvidia gtx970m 3 gb; 1tb HHD and 256gb SSD; my drivers are always up to date.

TS3 got worlds... TS4 get 5 lots.
    I'm not talking silly ideas here. I'm talking facts.

The neighborhood we are getting looks stunning.... but it is less. That is a fact. You can counter argue that but the vamps are more fully fleshed out... true, from what we know so far. That is not my point.

It would have been wonderful to have received a new world along with the improved vamps that we appear to be getting.

I still fail to see how anyone can argue with that point! it just simply does not compute with me.

I'm not telling anyone anything @SuzieSocks and I am also not ever going to agree that wanting more and pushing for more out of a game is a negative thing in any way. Any other gaming community would not see this stand point as an issue.

Perhaps it is those who consistently wish to argue my point are the ones telling someone they are wrong...

@PrincessVee I didn't actually read all your post, only skim read it and realized that once again someone still does not understand the point I am making.

Lets just say that the share holders are delighted that we are so easily pleased.

@PrincessVee I didn't actually read all your post, only skim read it and realized that once again someone still does not understand the point I am making.

Lets just say that the share holders are delighted that we are so easily pleased.

I am not easily pleased FOR PLUM SAKE

And try to actually listen to what people are saying before replying.
    And don't tell us that we "settled for less".
    I, personally, don't think it's "less". And nether do many many other simmers in this thread.

"I didn't actually read all your post"
    Yup. You only chose the part that fits your narrative and skipped all the parts that might have challenged your point and required some substantial argument. It seems to be popular these days.

• TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Yeah, for sure... in detail that is a good point. It is comments like ... "I didn't expect a world" though are nonsense. Expectations should be high.

Although every project will have a budget in person-hours and finances etc it still needs fans feedback to the developers and decision makers to know we want more.

It's a simple point. Very surprised people can't see it actually.
    Absolutely, if you want a bigger world, let them know. I agree completely in that regard. It's the "everybody X" that I'm having some problems with. Expectations are high about the pack, but in relation to Vampires themselves, not world size.

Not everybody has "big world" as something on their priority list. So if you take that into account and you consider that projects have limited resources, you can understand that where "big world" might be in your top 5, for someone for whom it doesn't even make the top 10, they may be asking for resources to be spent on other features.

I mean, I kind of get what you're saying... the idea that people are saying "I don't expect X because," followed by a reason that isn't "I don't want X," but is rather something like "they have to make do with what they're capable of." But that's where "being realistic" comes in and I understand that "being realistic" is a contentious point, up for debate and interpretation. The thing is, if I were to say, "I want them to add multiple, fleshed-out neighborhoods with each Stuff Pack," would you find that to be a realistic request / something that "gamers should expect/ask for"?

I'm guessing not. So then we go to a GP. Where should the line be drawn with expectations? That's what I meant about us not always agreeing where the line is. I find that usually, people are drawing the line based on the history of past sims games. But it gets muddled with GPs because this is the first one in the series to have GPs. People can't rely on that metric so well.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • cameronw209cameronw209 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I think five lots is reasonable and consistent for a game pack and The Sims 4 in general.

If we talk about $20 worlds, there's Dragon Valley from TS3, which came with a large world, but minimal new gameplay, and I'm not considering the additional DLC required to complete the Dragon Valley theme (additional venue and items) that totalled $40+.

The Sims 4 on the other hand seems to be doing the opposite with smaller worlds (if any), but more gameplay for the same price.
  • SuzieSocksSuzieSocks Posts: 185 Member
    edited January 2017
    Being condescending and alluding to people being not smart enough to "get it" really isn't going to help you win over people to your way of thinking.

Also, we DO get it, we just don't agree with it and you've admitted to not paying attention to all the reasons people have given in favor of restating your own opinion.
    Yes, I like and enjoy Sims 4. The world will not end because of this. Get over it.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    I can't believe people are excusing 5 lots just because it is a 'gamepack'. The only reason they would split it from the supernatural ep because there is a 'major' change, but when I saw the vampires there were only little teenie bits added to them which is not something worth the $20 asking price alone, so it must be the world right? That is what made it have its own pack, it must be! But that so-called world is only 5 lots SO WHY IS IT SPLIT TO ITS OWN GAMEPACK AGAIN? There is literally no excuse for the world to be only 5 lots, unless the vampires had a revolutionary change which they didn't. It must be either the world or vampires but when it is nothing, I fail to see why they were made to an exclusive pack. This is what is wrong with this community, we accept anything we are given to.

I don't know what kind of vampires you've been seeing, but I think you're just seeing what you're wanting to see.

These are the best vampires we've ever had in a Sims game and we don't even know half the info.

Super speed
    Not showing in mirrors
    Turning into bats
    Drinking from a sim
    Forcefully drinking from a sleeping sim
    Vampire hunters
    Air fighting
    Coffins
    Burning in the sun
    Completely customizable down to the fangs
    Two forms to customize
    Plasma fruit
    Vampire recipes
    Mind control powers of some sort
    Immortality
    Genetics
    Player controlled

We don't even know half of their powers yet.. There was rumored to be up to 25 unique powers but if you want to just assume that they're terrible despite them clearly being the best then go ahead.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    edited January 2017
    I can't believe people are excusing 5 lots just because it is a 'gamepack'. The only reason they would split it from the supernatural ep because there is a 'major' change, but when I saw the vampires there were only little teenie bits added to them which is not something worth the $20 asking price alone, so it must be the world right? That is what made it have its own pack, it must be! But that so-called world is only 5 lots SO WHY IS IT SPLIT TO ITS OWN GAMEPACK AGAIN? There is literally no excuse for the world to be only 5 lots, unless the vampires had a revolutionary change which they didn't. It must be either the world or vampires but when it is nothing, I fail to see why they were made to an exclusive pack. This is what is wrong with this community, we accept anything we are given to.

I don't know what kind of vampires you've been seeing, but I think you're just seeing what you're wanting to see.

These are the best vampires we've ever had in a Sims game and we don't even know half the info.

Super speed
    Not showing in mirrors
    Turning into bats
    Drinking from a sim
    Vampire hunters
    Air fighting
    Coffins
    Burning in the sun
    Two forms to customize
    Plasma fruit
    Vampire recipes
    Immortality
    Genetics
    Player controlled

We don't even know half of their powers yet.. There was rumored to be up to 25 unique powers but if you want to just assume that they're terrible despite them clearly being the best then go ahead.

And don't forget sneaking into unsuspecting sims' homes :[

And about this community accepting anything they're given...I disagree. This particular community (TS4 forums) is usually VERY critical of the game. You can usually find more negative posts than positive posts about new content. However this time around, most simmers seem to be happy about the pack. Even those who are usually critical are happy with the pack. Why? Because the devs listened to us and implemented 90% of our requests.

I don't see the point in trying to find faults everywhere. The devs must also know we can be a positive and grateful community (and not a toxic one as they once referred to it) when they deliver quality content and listen to us.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member

I have to disagree, at least as far as this Vampire pack is concerned. If anything, I feel like the worth is way up with this one. It's $20. You know what packs we got for $20 in Sims 2 and Sims 3? STUFF packs. Yeah. Just some CAS and build/buy. No Sim powers, no gameplay, no extra woohoo or new death or life states or neighborhood lots, etc....

So... you can try to be as patronizing as you want to people, but there's just way too strong an argument against you when it comes to game packs, this one in particular (although I could be biased for this one). It doesn't make either side "right", because it all still just comes down to opinion of course, (which you seem to have a hard time accepting, and I don't know why, maybe you're just used to people being bitter about Sims 4. *shrug*) so your play at condescension just doesn't carry any weight. And, you know, it's also pretty rude. However, if you want to crusade for higher quality and quantity for expansion packs, I could jump on that band wagon. :)

#Team Occult
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    @NZsimm3r you're stating your points as if this community is easily pleased, but it actually isn't. I think a very large number of people here are very critical, and they don't hesitate to say so. But in this case? Much less. That's not because they've forgotten how to be critical or accept less for more money, but because for once they feel that this is a pack someone thought about beforehand. You can find fault in anything if you want to, sure, and 5 lots is not a huge world. But many of us feared there'd be no world at all, so I think we're just very excited about that. Of course we should always fight to get as much as possible, but when it seems like they deliver above expectations, it doesn't hurt to acknowledge that every once in a while. If we always look for the one or two things to complain about and only zoom in on that neglecting everything else, I don't think that will motivate the devs to meet our expectations. Because it will seem like no matter what they do or don't do, we'll be up in arms about it anyway. Saying "hey guys thanks, that was really nice work" shows them what we want and what we want even more of in the future. Us being happy and excited must be extremely rewarding for a dev. Because it validates the many months they've probably spent trying to make something unique, something that will make us see that they do try to listen to us. There will always be limitations, you could say the same about nearly every TS3 EP too. And it's fine to say what else you would've liked for future reference, but there's no need to fight just for the sake of it either.
  • Saga-MinxSaga-Minx Posts: 580 Member

Super speed
    Not showing in mirrors
    Turning into bats
    Drinking from a sim
    Vampire hunters
    Air fighting
    Coffins
    Burning in the sun
    Two forms to customize
    Plasma fruit
    Vampire recipes
    Immortality
    Genetics
    Player controlled

When you sum it up like that, I am getting real excited. Have been waiting for vampires so long. Great start for 2017 in my eyes :smiley:
  • strangeseraphstrangeseraph Posts: 369 Member
    Goooooood I can't wait for the 24th! I'm on pins and needles now! Or is that fangs and stakes? :P
    Jenny

Doop Dee Doop
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Extremely pathetic. I am so disappointed. Sad I kinda feel like a hater right now, but there is no way I can defend this game.

Pathetic, how? You can have your sims living everywhere in all parts of the world. If you count them together it is a big amount of lots. And if you want to, you can go an delete and change the public areas to living areas, too. You don't need more than two restaurants, one gym, one bar etc.