Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Lacks Diversity In Music

Comments

• PugLove888PugLove888 Posts: 674 Member
    @JoAnne65 , thank you for those links! B)

Home is where your Pugs are! <3
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    I think I know what OP means and I agree.

I feel like the music is specifically catered to their target demographic of teen girls. When I think of music teen girls would typically be drawn to, I either expect a boy band, pop music, or some music sung by some guy with a guitar. I wouldn't expect rock, I wouldn't expect rap, I wouldn't expect hip hop, I wouldn't expect jazz, I wouldn't expect Latin and I wouldn't expect country. Sure enough, we currently have none of those radio stations. (cept Jazz, though it's more of a backround-music-shopping Jazz for a business)

I think the Cats and Dogs trailer music is the most telling. I remember watching it and thinking "how the heck does this song fit Cats and Dogs...?" Well, it doesn't. Sure sounds like something teen girls might like though.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"

I feel like the music is specifically catered to their target demographic of teen girls. When I think of music teen girls would typically be drawn to, I either expect a boy band, pop music, or some music sung by some guy with a guitar. I wouldn't expect rock, I wouldn't expect rap, I wouldn't expect hip hop, I wouldn't expect jazz, I wouldn't expect Latin and I wouldn't expect country. Sure enough, we currently have none of those radio stations. (cept Jazz, though it's more of a backround-music-shopping Jazz for a business)

I think the Cats and Dogs trailer music is the most telling. I remember watching it and thinking "how the heck does this song fit Cats and Dogs...?" Well, it doesn't. Sure sounds like something teen girls might like though.

@DeservedCriticism , true! (although I'm surprised they don't have a full-fledged country station, just the "Backyard" station). Also in some parts of the U.S. Latin music is extremely popular with all age groups! But other than that I agree with your analysis!
    Ironically, when I was a teen, most girls liked rap, hip-hop, and rock (even heavy metal) in addition to pop ! But those were the days before "American Idol" and "The Voice" brought the focus to solo singers. :( I've nothing against solo artists or pop, but we enjoyed a wider variety of "popular music" then. B)
    Out of curiosity, which song(s) would you have chosen for the Cats & Dogs trailer?
  • 12JEREMIA12JEREMIA Posts: 3,143 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @PugLove888 Maybe these pages can be helpful (I remember using this to track down the themes from Pets).

Sims: sims.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_songs_in_The_Sims
    Sims 2: sims.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_songs_in_The_Sims_2
    Sims 3: sims.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_songs_in_The_Sims_3
    Sims 4: sims.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_songs_in_The_Sims_4

(they mention the composers)
    See! The Sims 4 is the first game with Country and Disco were not exist, and Hip Hop not included for THREE years!
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Yes where is my vaporwave? Aka simwave B)
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
    Well they need to hurry up with those radio stations!
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited December 2017

I'm getting tired of teenage girls being used as the scapegoat for so many of TS4's problems. How many teenage girls do you actually know? I was a teenage girl only a few years ago and rap and country were the most popular genres alongside pop in my demographic where I lived. When I was a teenage girl I listened to way more rap, rock, hip hop and country than I do now. Believe it or not, teen girls listen to all of the genres you've mentioned.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Terra wrote: »

I'm getting tired of teenage girls being used as the scapegoat for so many of TS4's problems. How many teenage girls do you actually know? I was a teenage girl only a few years ago and rap and country were the most popular genres alongside pop in my demographic where I lived. When I was a teenage girl I listened to way more rap, rock, hip hop and country than I do now. Believe it or not, teen girls listen to all of the genres you've mentioned.

Heh, my older daughter, as a teen, loved Scandinavian death metal.

You know what I think would work well? Just take the old radio stations from Sims 2 and Sims 3 and put them in the game. Well, I've already done that, but it would be nice to just have them part of the game. Sims 2 metal station is pretty amazing ;)
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited December 2017
    Only TS4 SP I'd consider getting is Romantic Garden Stuff - Contains my favorite genre of music. Baroque. Gotta love me some Handel & Bach.

I pulled all the crumb out of my "custom radio station" in TS3 and threw in ALL Baroque (Handel's operas: Stuff like Xerxes, and his oratorios like Israel in Egypt, Judas Maccabaeus, Baroque Piano music, Bach's violin concertoes, Telemann's Trumpet Concerto... and all sorts of Baroque stuff that most people haven't heard of...) in MP3 format and threw it into my radio station...and my Sims are in 7th Heaven since my Sim likes classical music and well...his wife tolerates it.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a custom radio station function in TS4 so I wouldn't be able to do the same there.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited December 2017
    Felicity wrote: »
    You know what I think would work well? Just take the old radio stations from Sims 2 and Sims 3 and put them in the game. Well, I've already done that, but it would be nice to just have them part of the game. Sims 2 metal station is pretty amazing ;)

Ooh, do tell.

Do you mind sharing how you did it? I would love to have TS2 music in the game. Even the build/buy music was awesome. I loved the Zydeco (?), R&B, all of the Bon Voyage music and so much more.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

Ooh, do tell.

Do you mind sharing how you did it? I would love to have TS2 music in the game. Even the build/buy music was awesome. I loved the Zydeco (?), R&B, all of the Bon Voyage music and so much more.

If you have the games installed on your machine, you can pull the audio files out. It's a bit time consuming, but completely worth it.

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_2_music
    http://simscommunity.info/2016/01/04/how-to-extract-music-and-soundtrack-from-the-sims-3/
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

If you have the games installed on your machine, you can pull the audio files out. It's a bit time consuming, but completely worth it.

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_2_music
    http://simscommunity.info/2016/01/04/how-to-extract-music-and-soundtrack-from-the-sims-3/

Thank you so much for this. I owe you big. ;)

I3Ml5Om.jpg
    edited December 2017
    12JEREMIA wrote: »
    @PugLove888 Maybe these pages can be helpful (I remember using this to track down the themes from Pets).

See! The Sims 4 is the first game with Country and Disco were not exist, and Hip Hop not included for THREE years!

@12JEREMIA , one of the packs for the Sims 4 does have Disco music ... it's just called new Disco. ;) (But it still sounds like old Disco! LOL :D )
    Cynna wrote: »

Ooh, do tell.

@Cynna , yes! The Zydeco station! I love Zydeco! o:)
    And we do need some R&B! B)<3
    PugLove888 wrote: »

@12JEREMIA , one of the packs for the Sims 4 does have Disco music ... it's just called new Disco. ;) (But it still sounds like old Disco! LOL :D )
    It's actually NuDisco you know! But it's a modern form of Disco!
    edited December 2017

Well, I was around when Disco was popular, and NuDisco sounds just like old Disco, so it is the same... then only difference I can see is that they didn't re-do any actual old songs and put them into Simlish. ;) But since both give me an uncontrollable desire to roller-skate, then they are pretty much the same! :D<3 LOL
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Every time I turn on the radio, it seems like stations that play the newest music are playing hip hop. So, since I am not much of a hip hop fan, the hip hop I DO like I put in the pop music folder (even though most of it is old school like Beastie Boys and Run DMC). Rock music used to be on the pop music stations and alternative stations so I tend to put that under alternative. Some of the 90's alternative music (Korn, NIN, Disturbed, Metallica) began to sound like metal in some of their songs, though not all metal is the same. Then there's 80's metal, which I put under Retro.
    World music could be vastly expanded: Indian/Bollywood music, Native music, Chinese classical music, Greek music, Egyptian music, Celtic music, Latino/Salsa music. (Currently I put all of those in my world music folder unless the music sounds like another genre.)
    Darkwave I put under pop music because I wish it were more popular. Unless it is an instrumental, in which case it goes under classical or spooky. Country and folk music I put under "back yard".

What I really wish though, is that they would let us make our own music stations, like most online streaming apps do. Spiritual/inspirational music is one station they will probably never put in the game to avoid religious conflicts. Comedy/sports/spoken word is another station you will probably not see in the game, though it would be perfect to put short podcasts that were converted to mp3's in.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.

Well, I was around when Disco was popular, and NuDisco sounds just like old Disco, so it is the same... then only difference I can see is that they didn't re-do any actual old songs and put them into Simlish. ;) But since both give me an uncontrollable desire to roller-skate, then they are pretty much the same! :D<3 LOL
    Dang! I mean also hip hop needs to have newer songs and House Party rap songs. I remember I have issues with City Living being cultural, now I got that out of my system and I won't have to repeat myself again! I got everything to do in The Sims while waiting for my favorite music to come out right now, so I ain't got time for that foolishness!
    Well what do you know? The update patch without no radio stations has finally get in today!
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    The situation may be improving. I started a game today and the music on the main screen was both different than anything I've heard before and actually quite good.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2017
    No Oldies, No Heavy Metal, No Country, No Opera, No Big Band, No Rock N Roll ('70's Bands), No Hip Hop, No Raggee, No Naked Ladies. :/
    The choices are too modern and valley girl for me. :o Classical was good but not enough there, either. (No '80's) Adam Ant, and where is Journey, or Foreigner? :(
    No Love songs, where are my love songs....just pop rock of modern day all sound the same to me.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    No Oldies, No Heavy Metal, No Country, No Opera, No Big Band, No Rock N Roll ('70's Bands), No Hip Hop, No Raggee, No Naked Ladies. :/
    The choices are too modern and valley girl for me. :o Classical was good but not enough there, either. (No '80's) Adam Ant, and where is Journey, or Foreigner? :(
    No Love songs, where are my love songs....just pop rock of modern day all sound the same to me.
    There is a reggae love song that was added in the Cats and Dogs pack now:

The original version of the song:
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    We will need it until 2018!

@Cinebar I love all your suggestions, but especially Adam Ant! <3<3<3
    With no hip hop here! Now just a minute! The whole reason I started talking about radio stations is because of them. I felt weak. I-Y-Th-They never listen to me. They just ignore my question during the livestream of Cats & Dogs. And besides, they're not the correctable Sims game maker through the year themselves! See, that's what happens when I have issues with Get Together, City Living, and Cats & Dogs!
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top