Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Netflix Recommendations

p99gp99g Posts: 243 Member
The title says it all. Post some recommendations for tv shows or movies on Netflix. It would be great if you could include a short description. I will start us of:

XOXO (movie). An aspiring DJ plays at a huge music festival and encounters a couple that is going to be split by distance, a hopeless romantic, and another DJ that gives him the opportunity of a lifetime.

Comments

• Options
    McFizzleShizzleMcFizzleShizzle Posts: 1,632 Member
    Gossip Girl: Rich teens living in New York and just all the drama that is their lives. I love it so much :heart::love:
    tumblr_msx1lynGG41rd67d1o1_500.gif
    Origin ID: McFizzleShizzle
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited January 2017
    Oh ... There's so much :dizzy: I'll just list a few that have caught my attention recently... ^^

Whiplash: kind of like Black Swan but with drums and jazz music, and slightly less dark. Superb movie.

The 13th: excellent documentary on slavery and the evolution of racial divides throughout American history.

Gilmore Girls: both the original and the revival are nice :) not much explanation needed.

BoJack Horseman: LA, depression, a horseman. It's surprisingly deep lol

500 Days of Summer: watched it recently and I liked it. To quote the movie .. "this is not a love story".

Black Mirror: dystopian, dark, edgy, kind of depressing series of stand-alone episodes. Brilliant performances, frightening look at the impact of technology on our lives.

The Jungle Book: (this is on Netflix, right?) The recent remake is much like the original, but I think it's really, really well done. CGI and everything.

Orphan Black: clones. Clones. More clones. Love this show.

And tons of other stuff :D I love movies / TV shows and Netflix offers quite a lot of great stuff. So I'm sure there's things I could've mentioned (like House of Cards, etc.) but I'd never stop lol ;)
  • Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I haven't had Netflix for super long and have mostly just been rewatching gilmore girls and a few movies here and there that aren't really noteworthy or anything. I'm still like digging through for cool stuff (so this will be a great thread to keep an eye on!)

But the one show that really got my interest is The OA. I just don't really know how to describe it. Netflix's description is "To some, she's a miracle. To others, a freak. Only a few understand where she's been: to the brink of an unseen world"... which I'm not sure does the show justice but I don't really know what else to say. I saw a qoute somewhere about it "to describe it is to spoil it, while revealing absolutely nothing" or something like that, so true. It's like a sci-fi, fantasy, supernatural, mystery thing. And sci-fi isn't usually my thing really but it's SO GOOD. I finished the first (and so far, only) season on Friday and I'm still not over it. I'm still like processing and speculation and am obsessed with looking up other people's theories online. And I'm definitely going to be rewatching it.

I've heard it compared to Stranger Things a lot, if you're into that. Though I dunno that I agree (but I've also only watched like 1 episode of Stranger Things and couldn't really get into it so IDK)
  • Options
    WiggleyTuffWiggleyTuff Posts: 600 Member
    3%: 97% of the human population lives in very 🐸🐸🐸🐸 🐸🐸🐸🐸 places and only 3% lives in luxury. But to get to the place where the 3% lives, you need to go through different types of challenges when you get to a certain age which determine if youre one of 3%. (its more interesting than what it sounds haha, give it a try). Its from netlfix in Brazil that created this show.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    The Expanse.
    Its a new series, based on my favourite sci fi books. The setting is incredibly realistic (by realistic, I mean this is what is being planned by space agencies now), set 200 years in the future, humans have colonized mars (but still living under domes, but with the dream of a green mars), and the asteroid belt has a large human population, it's used for mining.
    The story starts as a mistery, there's a missing girl, and certain events in the first episode tip the scales of tension between the governments of Earth (UN), Mars, and the belt (OPA, aka outer plants alliance). The plot is strong, and layered, and the characters are diverse.

The Crown
    About Queen Elizabeth II, and the struggle of keeping her role as wife and mother separate from her role as the Crown.
    If you ever wanted to know about the reality of being royal in the modern age, this is a good show to watch.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    I second Stranger Things and 3%. Haven't watched The Crown yet but I've only heard good things about it so far. I will check out the OA and the Expanse sometime, see what they're about :D (love threads like these, it's why I started and ended Westworld, which is unfortunately not on Netflix :( )
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    3% sounds a lot like the French series Trepalium.

I second Black Mirror
    Its a great show for if you don't want to binge watch a continuous series, it's all short stories. They're a dark satire of modern life.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
    It's losely based on the books, but is somehow more like Hitch-hikers (guide to the galaxy). Good for a giggle, so long as the fast pace doesn't make it go over you head.

From Dusk til Dawn
    Series based on the movie with the same name.

Skins
    (The original series, from the UK)
    Madness and mayhem following a bunch of teens. Full of the kind of stuff your parents warned you against.
    Contains: Nicholas Hoult, Hannah Murray, Joe Dempsie, Kaya Scodelario, Dev Patel, Luke Pasqualino (season 3), Peter Capaldi and Bill Bailey.
    Its full of dark humour, and variying degrees of undress.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Is From Dusk til Dawn really good @Movotti ? I've been scared to try it because I love Rodriguez's movie but I'm a bit scared of this show for that very same reason :D I did start Dirk Gently and think the production value is great, but it's one hell of a bizarre story and I was too tired that day to get past the first two eps. Though it does look promising and I do like Elijah in bizarre roles lol
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Wow, so many of these seem good. I feel like i should contribute a bit more.

Supernatural (Show) - This is a really popular show. Two brothers hunt down creatures like vampires and spirits, with other struggles too. (in the first and second season is the demon that killed their mom). First season is the scariest/creepiest. I think the fourth season is when it really starts to get good because then you get Castiel the angel <3. 40 min episodes. 12 seasons and counting.
    "This haunting series follows the thrilling yet terrifying journeys of Sam and Dean Winchester, two brothers who face an increasingly sinister landscape as they hunt monsters. After losing their mother to a supernatural force, the brothers were raised by their father as soldiers who track mysterious and demonic creatures. Violent memories and relationship-threatening secrets add additional burdens on Sam and Dean as they investigate all things that go bump in the night. As old tricks and tools are rendered useless and friends betray them, the brothers must rely on each other as they encounter new enemies."

How I Met Your Mother (Show) - Super funny, group of friends that live their lives with one that is looking for "the one". I think there are 9 seasons of it. 20 minute episodes. Can be inappropriate.
    "Ted has fallen in love. It all started when his best friend, Marshall, drops the bombshell that he plans to propose to longtime girlfriend Lily, a kindergarten teacher. Suddenly, Ted realizes that he had better get a move on if he hopes to find true love. Helping him in the quest is Barney, a friend with endless -- often outrageous -- opinions, a penchant for suits and a foolproof way to meet women. When Ted meets Robin, he is sure it's love at first sight, but the affair fizzles into friendship. Voice-over by Bob Saget ("Full House") tells the story through flashbacks."

Arrow (Show) - Superhero show. "The Hood" is a vigilante at night, but in the day is Oliver Queen, son of two billionaires. I don't even know how to describe it, its just too great.
    "When presumed-dead billionaire playboy Oliver Queen returns home to Starling City after five years stranded on a remote island in the Pacific, he hides the ways the experience has changed him. As he reconnects with those closest to him, including his sister, Thea, Oliver appears to be the same wealthy, carefree bachelor they've always known. At night, flanked by his devoted friend, Diggle, Oliver uses his secret persona -- that of a vigilante -- to right societal wrongs and transform the city to its former glory."

The Flash (Show) - Another superhero show. This intertwines with Arrow. I would watch this after Season 2 Episode 8 of Arrow and try to alternate so you don't get spoilers. Barry Allen is super fast, and he stops other bad metahumans.
    "At 11, Barry Allen's life changed completely when his mother died in a freak accident and his innocent father was convicted of her murder. Now a crime-scene investigator, his dedication to learn the truth about his mother's death drives him to follow up on every new scientific advancement and urban legend. When his latest obsession -- a particle accelerator heralded as a world-changing invention -- causes an explosion, it creates a freak storm and Barry is struck by lightning. He awakes from a coma nine months later with the power of superspeed. When he learns that others who have gained powers use them for evil, he dedicates himself to protecting the innocent, while still trying to solve the older mystery."

DC's Legends of Tomorrow (Show) - Superhero show again. Characters from Flash and Arrow. AMAZING! CAPTAIN CANARY <3. They travel through time to try and stop changes to the timeline.
    "After seeing what doom the future holds, time-traveling rogue Rip Hunter realizes heroes alone are not enough to prevent the impending catastrophe that threatens not only the planet, but all of time itself. Tasked with recruiting both heroes and villains, Rip brings together a ragtag team of divergent talents, which includes the likes of Sara Lance, Ray Palmer, and Heat Wave."

I know thats a lot to process, but these are my fav. (If you watch Arrow, Flash, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, or Supergirl, I would finish the set and watch all four).

Lots of Love! krazy02 <3
  • Options
    lumossimslumossims Posts: 100 Member
    If you're looking to watch something a little different, kind of out there in the science fiction aspect, I suggest the OA
  • Options
    DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    I'm presuming you're in America? (you lucky Americans with The Flash and The Arrow on Netflix) I'll try to keep it to what I know will be on US Netflix! ;)

Basically all the Marvel shows are brilliant:

Daredevil is my favourite; it's about an awesome blind superhero though, as with all the Netflix/Marvel TV shows, it's really dark (season 2 might be one of the goriest things I've ever seen) so it's not for the feint of heart!

Jessica Jones is about a detective with super strength and a terrible drinking problem; throughout the series, she's mainly trying to find Killgrave again so she can, well, kill him! The first few episodes I didn't enjoy very much, but it gripped me pretty quickly!

Luke Cage (who has unbreakable skin) is a side character from Jessica Jones who got his own show. From what I can tell, with my lack of American knowledge, it seems based on ghetto America. It's very gangster, and to get more context, it should probably be watched after Daredevil and Jessica Jones, though the show can easily be understood on it's own. It's more or less about Luke Cage trying to discover his past again.

Doctor Who: I'm not sure if you have Doctor Who on US Netflix, but that's another good one! If you live under a rock and don't know what Doctor Who is, it's about a time travelling alien from outer space who picks up human companions to join him on his adventures. Pretty simple premise, great show! Each regeneration also give their own spark to the role; everyone has a favourite regeneration, basically! ;)
    (also, ignore most of the US fandom for it; they seem to be pretty annoying, but I promise the show is brilliant)

Sherlock: Another brilliant one! It's basically Sherlock Holmes in modern day, released in three 1hr 30 minute episodes per series, each series released about every 2-3 years (series 1 was released in around 2009 or 2010) and there's about 12 episodes of it overall! Once again, ignore the fandom! It's amazingly done, probably one of the best shows I've seen in a long time, and (like Doctor Who) my PARENTS watch it for Christ's sake, so it's a show that more or less appeals to a lot of people.

Black Mirror: Fantastic, but ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING! I don't know how anybody can binge this show; most episodes genuinely DISGUST me. I feel sick to my stomach, and usually need about a week to recover. Every episode is usually about the near future, and is a sickening insight into how disgusting and wrong other human beings can be (and are on a daily basis). It's basically a masterpiece of a future hell; it's the sort of thing that you end up watching before bed, and then you don't sleep.

So yeah, these are the recommendations. Ended on a depressive note tbh, but it happens! xD
  • Options
    I'm presuming you're in America? (you lucky Americans with The Flash and The Arrow on Netflix) I'll try to keep it to what I know will be on US Netflix! ;)

Basically all the Marvel shows are brilliant:

Daredevil is my favourite; it's about an awesome blind superhero though, as with all the Netflix/Marvel TV shows, it's really dark (season 2 might be one of the goriest things I've ever seen) so it's not for the feint of heart!

Jessica Jones is about a detective with super strength and a terrible drinking problem; throughout the series, she's mainly trying to find Killgrave again so she can, well, kill him! The first few episodes I didn't enjoy very much, but it gripped me pretty quickly!

Luke Cage (who has unbreakable skin) is a side character from Jessica Jones who got his own show. From what I can tell, with my lack of American knowledge, it seems based on ghetto America. It's very gangster, and to get more context, it should probably be watched after Daredevil and Jessica Jones, though the show can easily be understood on it's own. It's more or less about Luke Cage trying to discover his past again.

Doctor Who: I'm not sure if you have Doctor Who on US Netflix, but that's another good one! If you live under a rock and don't know what Doctor Who is, it's about a time travelling alien from outer space who picks up human companions to join him on his adventures. Pretty simple premise, great show! Each regeneration also give their own spark to the role; everyone has a favourite regeneration, basically! ;)
    (also, ignore most of the US fandom for it; they seem to be pretty annoying, but I promise the show is brilliant)

Sherlock: Another brilliant one! It's basically Sherlock Holmes in modern day, released in three 1hr 30 minute episodes per series, each series released about every 2-3 years (series 1 was released in around 2009 or 2010) and there's about 12 episodes of it overall! Once again, ignore the fandom! It's amazingly done, probably one of the best shows I've seen in a long time, and (like Doctor Who) my PARENTS watch it for Christ's sake, so it's a show that more or less appeals to a lot of people.

Black Mirror: Fantastic, but ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING! I don't know how anybody can binge this show; most episodes genuinely DISGUST me. I feel sick to my stomach, and usually need about a week to recover. Every episode is usually about the near future, and is a sickening insight into how disgusting and wrong other human beings can be (and are on a daily basis). It's basically a masterpiece of a future plum; it's the sort of thing that you end up watching before bed, and then you don't sleep.

So yeah, these are the recommendations. Ended on a depressive note tbh, but it happens! xD

I binged Black Mirror even though I know exactly what you mean. But I really like these dystopian looks at technology and maybe I like that it makes me worry because it means we're just not there ..Yet lol. It's one of the best shows I've seen, but it is absolutely not relaxing.
  • Options
    lumossims wrote: »
    If you're looking to watch something a little different, kind of out there in the science fiction aspect, I suggest the OA

Also I can second this now :D I loved the OA, just thought about it this morning in fact (really hoping for a second season). It's weird, but so cool.
  • Options
    HausOfSuperHausOfSuper Posts: 1,825 Member
    I've been watching Black Mirror and it's complete genius. It's an anthology show; which means every episode tells a different story with different scenarios and cast. It reflects (no pun intended) on the actual society, and also on how sick people can be and how we can let technology rule our lives. I recommend watching the San Junipero episode, my favorite one. Beautiful story, cast, scenario and soundtrack.

I also love the first generation of Skins. It's the kind of show every person can identify with. I'm in love with Cassie, I see myself on everything she says. Also great cast.
    Male. INFP. Virgo.
  • Options
    wavveswavves Posts: 10,730 Member
    SHAMELESS!!!!! (the U.S. version) it's the easiest show to get addicted to
    3x1Bhmq.gif
    origin ID: wavvys
  • Options
    Also, The Office is hilarious! It was hard to get past the first episode (or season), but it gets really good!!!
  • Options
    SamanthaMonacoParksSamanthaMonacoParks Posts: 14 New Member
    Try out Shitt's Creek.
    After their business manager loots their family fortune, The Rose family relocates to the town
    of Shitt's Creek, which they once bought as a joke.
    It is one of my fave new shows to watch. :)
  • Options
    simmerlilly87simmerlilly87 Posts: 195 Member
    The 100, Stranger Things, The X-files, Sense8, Firefly, Prison Break, Friday Night Lights, Friends, Merlin, Shameless, Izombie, Supernatural, Sherlock, Doctor Who, Dark Matter, Santa Clarita Diet, Lost Girl, The Magicians, NCIS, All the CSI's, Criminal Minds, Continuum, Bitten, Person of Interest, Law & Order SVU, Gilmore Girls, Colony, LongMire, House, Haven, Charmed, The Ghost Whisperer, Revolution, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Grace & Frankie, The Glades, The Finder, Eureka, When Calls the Heart, Call the Midwife, Breakout Kings, Revenge, Luther, Penny Dreadful, Hell on Wheels, Heartland, The OA, From Dusk Till Dawn, Spartacus, etc.... you know... just to name a few. ;)
    Origin Id: SimmerLilly87
    My Showcase Thread
    My Gallery: SimmerLilly87
    96rsyJ5.jpg
  • Options
    UniquePuggleUniquePuggle Posts: 864 Member
    I just finished binge watching White Collar. It was sooo good, like, the kind of good that gets you emotionally invested in the characters and you start to imagine what their life would be like outside of the show.

"Neal Caffrey, a renowned con artist, forger, and thief, is captured after a three-year game of cat and mouse with the FBI, specifically Special Agent Peter Burke. With only three months left in his four-year sentence, he escapes to look for his girlfriend, Kate. Peter Burke once again finds Caffrey and returns him to prison. This time, Caffrey proposes a deal to help Burke apprehend dangerous white collar criminals with the FBI as part of a work-release program. After some hesitation, Burke agrees. They thus begin their unconventional and testing relationship."
  • Options
    mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    I really love Crazy Ex Girlfriend. It's so funny! Explained in the title song.

https://youtu.be/qzY3EaJTuJk
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    Limitless (both the movie and the tv show) are pretty good. I wish they hadn't cancelled the tv series. I liked it better than the movie. But it you watch those, watch the movie first because the guy from the movie does have a small role in the tv series. My description won't do it justice, but the main idea of the two is that the main character takes a pill that makes them super smart, able to figure out anything and able to anticipate anything. But the drug, when taken, has bad side effects that eventually lead to death.

Witches of East End was pretty good. Again, they cancelled the show, but the seasons it has up are decent entertainment.

The best tv show I've found is The Finder (can't remember if it's still on Netflix). It's only 1 season. Another one cancelled. But well worth watching.

Person of Interest is a great show. It only has 5 seasons. It's ended and all 5 are on Netflix.

Stand up Comedian Jim Gaffigan is pretty funny. His Cinco is the funniest one of his, I think. And of course, Fluffy (Gabriel Iglesias) is the funniest of all comedians. Kevin Hart, but he is pretty dirty mouthed so be warned there. Steve Trevino has a stand up comedy on Netflix that is down right hilarious and Russell Peters is pretty funny, too.