Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wallingsford Historical Legacy Now Entering 1930s

UniquePuggleUniquePuggle Posts: 864 Member
I love history and the Sims 3, so I decided, why not combine the two into a legacy?
I decided to capture the moments the Wallingsford family experiences, starting with them settling on new land. As each generation comes along, they will don new clothing of their era, and will want to decorate their living space according to what is popular. The years that seem to pass will not be precise, nor will everything be accurate since it will be tons of work to research and implement everything, but I will weave some American history throughout the legacy, so I suppose this is more of a historical fiction. Ideally, I will be starting the year 1900, in a more Western tale. I also prefer to keep things short and sweet. So without further ado:

8PamKGj.jpg
Zachariah Wallingsford, his wife Delilah Wallingsford, and the rest of their party have traveled many miles in order to find land suitable to settle on. Some of their neighbors and friends, as well as strangers who believed in what they wanted to achieve, left their homes to go to unsettled territory for many personal reasons. Some couldn't find jobs where they were. Some wanted to live a simple life, away from the thriving cities that were popping up around them, bringing crime. But for Zachariah, he felt that he could build a better life for his family, he felt in his gut that his family would pave a name for themselves, if he were willing to put in the work. He felt they had better chances out West.

JtlpSoV.jpg

You don't get these kind of views from where they were escaping....

le62eVa.jpg

This seemed to be the perfect location. Plenty of land, and enough fresh, moving water to go around.

dOWe6Ql.jpg

Delilah was happy to step foot out of the covered wagon and stretch her legs. Although they were many miles away from the conveniences they were used to, they felt ecstatic to start living their lives on their own terms. This was their chance to start over.

1Dsk1XZ.jpg

They embraced each other, overwhelmed by their emotions. What the both of them wanted more than anything was a life for their children that was better than their own.

RrGUjqi.jpg

From here on out, it would be nothing but work, from the moment they woke until their heads hit their pillows. While Zachariah accounts for the rest of the families and agrees on land stakes, Delilah unloads their measly possessions.

54ict44.jpg

That night, they were finally able to rest soundly. They could let go of the anguish of the arduous journey. For now, their world seemed so large, the sky was the limit. They were free here.

AXjm4gJ.jpg

They had replaced the city lanterns with stars. It was a worthwhile trade.

Post edited by UniquePuggle on

Comments

• NocturnalDuetNocturnalDuet Posts: 88 Member
    @UniquePuggle What a great plot idea, I'm excited to see how the generations develop and what changes from era to era. Bookmarking!
  • AlexPazAlexPaz Posts: 143 Member
    edited January 2017
    This actually is a great idea,points for creativity! I'll definitely be popping in to read
    Ohh yea, you gotta get schwifty
    33y1gk1.jpg
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    This is such a cool idea and I love those pics! <3
  • UniquePuggleUniquePuggle Posts: 864 Member
    Thank you for the kind words! <3 Researching is half the fun.
    I am taking advantage of my vacation from college to churn these chapters out. :)

CTJR4QJ.jpg

With a renewed sense of purpose, Zachariah and Delilah went about their work with pride. There was never a shortage of work, and everyone was needed.

nlIlqrI.jpg

When you are out in the middle of nowhere, friends and allies are your greatest asset. To be alone meant a sure death. They were lucky that they traveled with a party, and it made the work load lighter. Zachariah and the rest of the men worked together to ensure a log cabin for every family to protect them from wildlife and the elements.

6B1qshw.jpg

The trees around them was all they had for building materials, but this home was grand compared to the cramped brick dwelling they had in the city. And at least the air was fresh and unpolluted. The fact that it was their own made it special.

jtVIFWJ.jpg

Zachariah even built a better fence for the family garden, so the horses and deer could stop rummaging through all of Delilah's hard work. She was in the garden every day, and was relieved when the plants produced. This garden was the family's lifeline, and of course, they were more than happy to share with everyone. When you stick together, you are bound to survive.

APouTgb.jpg

Delilah's favorite time of the day was spending time with her beloved horse, Betty. Brushing her and cleaning her hooves never felt like work, it was more of a gesture of kindness for a friend. There weren't many women in their party, so when the ladies were all preoccupied with their children or homemaking duties, she knew that she could always bond with Betty. She was a quiet and gentle horse, who wanted nothing more than to follow you around like she were your shadow.

0ex76r5.jpg

If Zachariah wasn't building homes, constructing horse stalls, or hunting; he was fishing at the waterfalls. Fresh fish was a delightful change from the cured meat and flat corn cakes they had for several months on the trip.

66eRsm5.jpg

Even though Zachariah knew the work would amount to something better and worthwhile, he sometimes wished he had been born a horse. At least their needs were taken care of for them!

MWO4KpF.jpg

The work was long and hard, but Zachariah and Delilah always had each others company to look forward to at the end of a challenging day. If their marriage weren't solid, the trip would have been impossible.

3DcHVRh.jpg

No matter how rough things got, they always found a reason to smile. Optimism was especially important, because settling the wilderness was never without troubles.

z2ko4Fd.jpg

Zachariah, accompanied by Wrangler, were out exploring for new hunting spots early one morning, when they stumbled across the discovery of a lifetime....

Pngusg3.jpg

He found gemstone deposits, along with precious metals, encased in rocks! He knew of people taking the gamble to travel out West in the hopes of striking it rich, but he never believed he would make it big. This now changed his vision of the future.

lzFgjD2.jpg

The other men gathered around to check it out, and to confirm Zachariah's discovery. They decided this was worthy enough to start work on, and they began to plan the future mining operations.

6jfT4t0.jpg

Since Zachariah was the one to discover it first, they made an agreement on paper as a record, and with everyone else as witness, proclaimed the mine stake as his. He invited the others to come to work on the mine, where they would keep most of their finds, and he would receive a cut for utilizing his mine.

GXmO7T3.jpg

Later that evening, he shared the good news with Delilah, who was shocked that good fortunes would happen to them. But what Zachariah found more precious than the gemstones waiting to be mined, was news that he would soon be a father! Life at this moment was euphoric!
    edited January 2017

f06H12h.jpg

After the discovery of gemstones and gold in the area, Zachariah's responsibilities began to pile on him. He would get up before the sun rose to travel to the mine, and oversee the work. People also started looking up to him, and came to him with their personal problems, hoping he would sort them out. He was away from Delilah more hours than he wished to be.

yMbj9FQ.jpg

Delilah missed him terribly, but there was always plenty of work to be done to keep her occupied. Being pregnant didn't freeze time. She still had to complete her daily duties in order to survive, and that especially meant maintaining the family garden.

UG78pW9.jpg

As time wore on during her pregnancy, as it became more difficult to bend over to pull weeds and churn butter, she worried about her baby. It was not uncommon for women to die from the difficulties of childbirth, and she was at great risk without a doctor around. She felt dread, and began to regret going out West, and getting pregnant with a man who couldn't even be bothered to help out a little more. She feared her child would die, or worse, be left without a mother.

XplPE2P.jpg

Delilah voiced her concerns to her husband, and he sought out the wife of one of his miners, Mrs. Maria Clay. She had a son, and he hoped that her experience would be beneficial to Delilah when it came time for her to give birth. She agreed to be the midwife, and attend to her.

B9zB8Ll.jpg

About a month later, Delilah's water broke. Zachariah didn't expect things to happen so fast, and was worried about his wife as she screamed in pain. He fetched Maria in the early morning hours, and she stayed by Delilah's side as he anxiously paced outside the cabin. He heard a baby's wailing after 15 hours of labor.

u4KbZuU.jpg

Maria told him it was time to come in and meet his baby. It was a boy! Zachariah was emotional upon holding his son for the first time. But Maria had bad news....

Fg2XmzA.jpg

Delilah's long laboring process exhausted her, and she was weak. She would need to rest, but she had started to develop a fever. Zachariah felt he was on top of the world after the discovery of his mine, and the announcement of his first born son, but this news gave him a knot in his stomach. Sometimes, when everything in life is going great, it just means dark times are around the corner. He hoped and prayed for his wife to survive the ordeal.

dDZ5pWa.jpg

Maria volunteered to care for his wife, and for his newborn son, whom he named David. She had a small vial of Dr. Webber's Magic Compound left over, an elixir made from the bark of a willow tree. She administered the rest of what she had to Delilah every day for seven days, while dressing her wounds and putting cold rags on her head. Amazingly, Delilah came around!

BWHqvqe.jpg

The most beautiful and anticipated moment for everyone, was when Delilah was strong enough to hold her son David for the first time. The moment she looked into his eyes, memories of her pain and suffering were muted, and her heart swelled with love.

0Jntaqg.jpg

As a gift to Zachariah and Delilah for the birth of their first baby, one of the townsfolk who worked in carpentry, gave them a rocking chair. It was a thoughtful gift, and helped Delilah care for her son while she recovered until she felt like herself again. She felt completely indebted to Maria for her compassionate care while she was in and out of consciousness.

• ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Very interesting read! I look forward to more.
    p8L4V6v.png
    DID YOU KNOW:

The California Gold Rush of 1849 wasn’t America’s first gold rush. It wasn’t even the second.

When young Conrad Reed found a large yellow rock in his father’s field in Cabarrus County, North Carolina, in 1799, he had no idea what it was. Neither did his father, John Reed. The family reportedly used it as a doorstop for several years, until a visiting jeweler recognized it as a 17-pound gold nugget.

Source: history.com
  • alyseryan32alyseryan32 Posts: 54 Member
    Glad I came across this story. I miss playing the sims 3, it was definitely my favorite! great story line so far. Was a little worried there about Delilah passing but glad she got better! Book marking this for sure
    edited January 2017
    I got the idea to sprinkle in some facts I find during my research!
    DID YOU KNOW: Due to the culture at the time, respectable women were excluded from saloons. Unless they were a saloon girl or a "shady lady," women did not enter saloons, a tradition that lasted until World War I. In retaliation, the ladies were primarily behind the prohibition movement.

qv2ri23.jpg

Spring arrived, and progress was at its fastest. With word going around that there was gold and gems to be found, people were coming from the East and West to get in on the action. Since the Transcontinental railroad had already been built by now, the easiest solution was simply extending a railway to their growing town, so people could get there faster. A new railroad meant faster transportation, which meant more people and goods coming in, and therefore, businesses were popping up like weeds. There was now a general store, a saloon for the miners to unwind and have fun, and a shop for mining supplies, housewares, etc.

Z56Hem4.jpg

Spring is also the season for foals, and it looks like Betty is also a new mother! There is never a dull moment for the Wallingsfords.

K59M2GG.jpg

Zachariah was finally able to easily acquire horseshoes, skillets, and nails. He planned to extend his humble home with his son starting to grow older.

28Velj6.jpg

The saloon was lively at all hours of the day and night, and the liquor flowed freely. Poker games and darts were played, and it wasn't that rare for someone to gamble away all of his living he had just gotten from the mine.

lXRP0qr.jpg

Women were also flocking to make a living, taking part in one of the oldest professions around, if you know what I mean. Typically, these women traveled wherever the action was, and then picked up and moved to another location as soon as the town went bust.

tX61xmw.jpg

Seamstresses moved into town, which meant Delilah and Zachariah were able to grab new clothing. They now moved up to the upper class, enjoying the luxuries that the gold and gemstones were affording them. Delilah couldn't balance a social life, and responsibilities of the frontier, so she hired a caretaker and maid.

vPyP41G.jpg

Huan Ma was the wife of one of the railroad workers. They traveled from China, knowing they could make a better living. Unfortunately, Chinese workers on the railroads didn't make as much as the European workers, and although they tried to go on strike, their wages still did not increase, even though they were better workers and more efficient. After the completion of the railroad, Huan's husband was not able to claim land that should have been rightfully his, because of a discriminatory law banning Chinese from owning land. She went to work to help support the both of them. Now she was a nanny for David, who described him as a high spirited and rambunctious child.

yT2wszO.jpg

Delilah had more freetime now, and was able to shop and socialize with her female friends. Her home was not her only world now.

B0HgX3V.jpg

There was positives to the railroad, but also negatives. As more people poured in to make the town their home, so did the crime. Murders were on the rise because there was no law enforcement, so people took matters into their own hands. Liquor also made decent men turn into rowdy miscreants. Zachariah found this unacceptable, and stepped up to be sheriff. One night, a man having too much of the firewater was causing a ruckus, and he decided to take care of it.

NUOmjbf.jpg

He would not be told what to do, and pushed Zachariah away, further escalating the trouble. Zachariah threatened to drag him to the jailhouse.

S3gKFOq.jpg

That is where things got ugly. The man was highly intoxicated, so he was easy to beat in a fight, but his judgement was impaired. Zachariah was lucky he wasn't shot as he brought him to justice.

zXA8KGv.jpg

He was not considered a hero a home. Delilah was deeply upset that he was away from home so much. Didn't he care about her? Didn't he care about their son? Now that he was sheriff, his life was now always in danger, and she didn't want him to die and leave her behind with a toddler, and a baby on the way. She feared that he would know nothing of their second child, just like the first.

cWBQBci.jpg

News of a second child tempered Zachariah. He realized he was a stranger to David, and promised that he would spend more time with him. He wanted to teach David everything he knew, so hopefully when he passed on, the family legacy would continue. And he made a promise to Delilah to be a better husband.

• CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    I'm really enjoying this! :) You're doing a great job with the historical setting, and it will be fun to see this move through the century with the coming generations.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • ilovebunnys65ilovebunnys65 Posts: 1,611 Member
    I loooovvvvveeeeee this OMG! And I like how you tell us facts about the Wild Wild West *insert that song by Will Smith* I can't wait to learn more.
  • spontaneousivyspontaneousivy Posts: 250 Member
    You're an amazing storyteller! I love the historical elements and the customization of the Sims 3, because I never played it. Keep it up!
    DID YOU KNOW: The average life expectancy for men in America by 1910 was 47 years, only 14% of homes had a bathtub, and the average American wage was 22 cents per hour.

PJI0pWR.jpg

Delilah's second child was due, and this time, Huan Ma was there for guidance and support. By now, they couldn't imagine life without her. Discrimination against Asians was at a point where immigrants were not eligible for US citizenship until World War II. The Wallingsfords were aware that many households paid Asian immigrants poorly, and sometimes even 'forgot' to pay them. Zachariah was an honest man, and knew the value of hard work, and therefore refused to do this. They had a close relationship with her.

lBWQBto.jpg

Their second child arrived, a girl! Zachariah had the opportunity to name their first child while Delilah was bedridden, so she wanted to name their baby girl. She decided on Ruth.

GJ8acXB.jpg

"She is perfect," he said. "Ruth is a mature name. I love it."

Zg7Dz0Q.jpg

The family was growing larger every year. Every child was a blessing, and Zachariah couldn't wait to see what their children would do for the world.

5jEbg3i.jpg

As time passed, Ruth grew up to be a joyful and calm little girl. She was excited about every new discovery, and had a positive outlook on each day. She was never upset for very long, and she inspired her parents to see everything in a better light. She loved and hugged everyone she met.

AceNMQR.jpg

David was shooting upwards like a weed!

alz51Jb.jpg

He was an early riser like his father, and David took on a close relationship with him. Each morning, he would beg his father to let him come along to the mine and see what it was all about, but Zachariah insisted to wait until he was a little older. His father knew he was full of energy and a prankster, and didn't want him to get hurt. David always seemed to be wandering around the woods and getting into things he shouldn't.

phJfAAy.jpg

There is never a dull moment for David. He would play with their foal, who David got to name Goldie. He was promised that Goldie would be his when he was older.

9Qjc7KF.jpg

He took on new responsibilities with optimism. David always bragged to his parents that he could handle anything, just say the word and he would do it.

EmR41Sr.jpg

Sometimes though, he would mess up because he didn't listen to HOW something should be done. David was the kind of kid that jumped into something wholeheartedly without thinking things through.

S4aWSMw.jpg

David also had a sense of humor that made everyone laugh, but Zachariah would get frustrated if he was giving him an important lesson and David wasn't taking it seriously. Life in general was one long joke to David.

Rg8i003.jpg

Their quaint town had grown to the point that they got to be put on the map. They needed a mayor, and the citizens unanimously agreed that Zachariah had the morals and temperament to do the job. They were going to name the town after his last name, but he felt too humble for that honor. They all agreed on Gold Ridge instead, since that is how it all got started.

5iCtFBS.jpg

As Zachariah and Delilah toured a new church and schoolhouse, he announced his new position.
    "My dear, how does Delilah, mayor's wife, sound to you?"

3DNnIKo.jpg

"Mayor's wife? Me? But that title comes with duties I'm not sure I am fit for. I'm not the woman that puts on the best parties and can hold conversations with other distinguished ladies. I prefer the company of close confidants. Crowds aren't for me."
    With some convincing, however, she agreed.
    "I'll do this, and go along with it all, but only because I love you so."

• shiba306shiba306 Posts: 275 Member
    Reading this and tbh I'm super jealous of the outfits/textures/items sims 3 had available. Oh how I miss horses. Good story @UniquePuggle
    banner.jpg
    Thank you shiba! I am trying desperately to be able to play the game again, it seems the store content is the problem, so I am reinstalling to see if it helps so I can get another overdue chapter out! :)
    THIS IS SOOOOOOOOO GOOOOODDDDDDDDD... THE CHILDRENS ARE ADORABLE, YES CHILDRENS! And your game is great without cc. TS3 looks so cool!
    @UniquePuggle Still loving this! Keep up the great work, I love David and Ruth! They are so sweet.
    edited January 2017
    HOLY COW GUYS...My problem has finally been solved, thanks to Igazor's technological magic. Turns out my graphics card was flooding the game with too many fps, and thats why it kept crashing. I can finally proceed!

DID YOU KNOW: Around 1910, most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo. The Oreo cookie was invented in 1912, by Nabisco. On April 14, 1912, the Titanic struck an iceberg and 1,517 people lost their lives.

Zcia29u.jpg

The summer had been unusually dry because of record low rainfall, causing crops to wither. Tragedy struck the town of Gold Ridge when, in the middle of the night, embers from a cooking pit started a fire. Everyone's homes was made with timber, and the fire spread rapidly. There was no organized fire battling system in place here, so many families evacuated their homes with what they could carry, and watched with sorrow as their homes burned to the ground. Two thirds of the town was lost.

X90O6sn.jpg

When the fire had nearly died out, Zachariah inspected the damage. Everything in their home was gone. They narrowly escaped with their lives, thankful that their horses alerted them while they slept.

05Zc4HK.jpg

The most important thing was that they had each other.

ygRE5Nb.jpg

Delilah was still in shock, shaking, as she remembered having to dart across the room to where Ruth was sleeping in her crib. She cried, realizing that she was still sleeping in her arms, unaware of what had happened.

DJhtpIL.jpg

"My dear, what do we possibly do now", Delilah said, trying to collect herself.
    "I heard from Pastor Kenny that he was taking in those who lost their homes at the church. We are welcome to stay there while we rebuild."
    "Rebuild? Zachariah, this is going to take months! It would be easier to just call it quits and take the next train out East. We tried our best, but everything is against us."

9IRRnuu.jpg

"Delilah, so long as the sun rises, and so long as I am alive every morning to see it, I will have hope. Homes and businesses can be rebuilt. But I only have one life, and I won't give up this dream as long as I have breath in my lungs."

**Months passed, and it was amazing to see the town come together for the benefit of all. The train's main cargo for awhile was bricks and masonry cement. The town council all agreed that to prevent a large scale catastrophe such as this one, it was best to rebuild with brick. It took longer, but it was for the best. Because of the need for brick layers, this drew more people from the East, desperate for a job. Some even decided there was opportunity for them at Gold Ridge, and they stayed. This brought the population up to 150,000 residents.**

zdb3ruT.jpg

The long wait was finally over. Their new beautiful colonial brick home was complete. Their residence reflected the wealth they obtained from the mines, and the craftsmanship was beautiful, better than anything Zachariah could do on his own.

XaEBL50.jpg

Their time of tribulation was at an end. Now that the family was back in their own home, things started to go back to normal.

mJKbgCS.jpg

Zachariah even requested that a display cabinet be built, in order to display some of the best pieces collected from the mines. He was proud of his accomplishments.

BWYHW7F.jpg

♪ Oh, give me my lowly thatched cottage again
    The birds singing gayly, that come at my call
    Give me them and the peace of mind, dearer than all
    Home, home, sweet, sweet home
    There's no place like home, oh, there's no place like home ♪

--Alice Nielson hit from 1915

I couldn't find her singing 'Home Sweet Home', but Last Rose of Summer is just as beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So52PcL8WlE
    Post edited by UniquePuggle on
  • shiba306shiba306 Posts: 275 Member
    edited January 2017
    So sad with what happened to their house. I'm so glad they decided to stay, and it was well worth it because their new home is beautiful!
    banner.jpg
    DID YOU KNOW: In 1915, the word "teenager" was not yet in use. A dozen eggs cost 34 cents; a gallon of milk cost 18 cents; and a pound of coffee cost 30 cents. The three leading causes of death in the US were heart disease, pneumonia/influenza, and tuberculosis.

******If you are sensitive to particular instances of death, PLEASE read the trigger warning below.******
    If stillbirths (the death of a baby before or during delivery) is not a subject matter that you are comfortable with reading, please consider skipping this chapter. Medicine was not as it is today in the early 1900's, and the mechanism by which disease spread and proper prenatal care was still unknown. This was a fact of life I wished to cover.

LiYQKcR.jpg

David was a practical joker and a clown, who was always entertaining guests and other children in town. His infectious laugh and can-do attitude was pleasant for those who knew and met him, and making friends came easily to him...

bPYLDLN.jpg

...except when it came to his father. Zachariah felt pranks were a waste of time, and was annoyed at his antics, more so if he were the victim.

1A4u5N5.jpg

Zachariah was always hard on him.
    "David, these pranks are immature, you need to grow up! All this time you spend on setting up your foolish tricks could be better spent on something else! You need to have focus on your responsibilities, no one will respect you if you keep acting like a fool!"

B2LMb8R.jpg

"Papa, I was just trying to make you laugh! Not everything has to be so serious all the time", David huffed.
    "I will not stand for this impertinence son! Go on up to bed, I don't want to hear anything more from you!"
    Frustrated, David ran up the stairs, angry that his father never seemed to approve of anything he did.

WYZWJHq.jpg

"My dear, I do wish you wouldn't be so hard on him. He is still young, I am sure he will grow out of it. There is still much more for him to learn. He is a kind boy at heart, and his intentions are not misguided. He just has...a lot of pent up energy, which needs to be directed elsewhere...maybe let him explore the mines with you, show him how the men operate."

A60hjrE.jpg

"Delilah, I know you look fondly upon him, but you have never been down the mines either! If it's no place for a lady, then it's no place for a child either. The mine shafts can be dangerous, and the conditions are tough! His excitable nature is exactly what is making me wait before bringing him to see the business. For now, he needs to cultivate responsibility and a sense of maturity before he can be ready. Conspiring elaborate pranks is certainly not my idea of a sensible leader."

Oo2uxa8.jpg

"I heard the yelling from upstairs, what is it my little monkey did this time?"
    "Well, I found a way to make the commode overflow, but my father didn't think it was as genius as I thought it was."
    "No I don't imagine he did, Mr.Wallingsford, he is a very serious man", Huan Ma said, laughing.

Ickh9dW.jpg

"Now, I am supposed to make sure you get to bed, which I am doing."
    Huan Ma continued in a hushed tone, "But, perhaps you can teach me that trick sometime, my husband has a sense of humor."
    David chuckled as he crawled into bed. Why couldn't his father be like Mrs. Ma? She was so easy going, always telling stories and jokes. He loved when she called him her little monkey, making a monkey impersonation. Instead, his father seemed so stern with him.

nAo86GL.jpg

The next morning, Zachariah spent most of the day instructing him to do various chores. David insisted that he could do them by himself, but his father hovered near by, making sure he didn't get distracted, leaving no time for fun.

mnZg8xb.jpg

Zachariah also taught him chess, a game David found to be incredibly boring.
    "Chess is a complicated game my son, it can teach a man patience and rationality. These are qualities that citizens value in a leader, which, if you live your life right, you will be one day."

okdZoAl.jpg

At least his younger sister Ruth loved his games. David and Ruth were the ideal siblings, always getting along and laughing together. David was a loving and gentle older brother, protecting Ruth, and he always tried new jokes on her. Doing magic tricks for her was easy, she was too young to understand them anyways.

IOPV6tq.jpg

Happiness was abundant these days, since Delilah was pregnant with their third child! Their marriage was stronger than ever too, now that Zachariah dedicated more time to the family. He set specific hours for citizens to see him with their concerns and for meetings with other council members, and managed his company from home, opting to hire someone else to oversee mine operations instead.

p1bWFN9.jpg

A newspaper started circulating in Gold Ridge, and this made being mayor easier, since news and reports could be read by everyone instead of waiting for word to get passed around.

aqvinOG.jpg

A few months later, Delilah went into labor, but the timing didn't seem right. She still had about a couple months if she estimated right before the baby was to be ready, so her contractions took her by surprise. Just as with Ruth, Huan Ma was there to coach her through the process. Her labor was shorter, and just a few hours later, Huan had news for Zachariah.

RWAGLNg.jpg

"Mr.Wallingsford...I am so sorry."
    Concern flashed across Zachariah's face.
    "Is my wife all right? How is she?"
    Huan had to fight back the tears. "Delilah is doing as well as she can sir, but your daughter...I am afraid she was stillborn. We don't know how this could have happened. It breaks my heart sir."
    Zachariah felt a knot in his chest, and was stunned for a few moments before the tears began to fall down his cheeks.
    "We had a daughter...I am sure she was beautiful."
    "You may visit with your wife in a few minutes sir. She wanted to be alone a little awhile with the baby..."

Cox64Tu.jpg

Delilah had no words to express her grief. She felt her happiness had been sucked into a black hole, never to return again. Her heart ached, to think that she would never hear her laugh, never see her smile, never witness the woman she could have become.

bej1Uj2.jpg

Her husband joined her a little while later, holding her while she wept on his chest. Zachariah said nothing, but then again, there was nothing he could have said to ease the pain. The best thing he could do for her right now, was support her. All he could do was hold her, while his silent tears fell on her hair. He wanted to be like a strong pillar for her, but inside, he was crumbling.

:( WHYYYYYY! Your writing is amazing. I felt so many emotions reading this.
    :( WHYYYYYY! Your writing is amazing. I felt so many emotions reading this.

Thank you! This comment means a lot to me. :)
    @UniquePuggle The FEELS. This was a very well-written chapter. I'm so heartbroken!
  • Aeriexo11Aeriexo11 Posts: 646 Member
    This is good! I stumbled upon it looking for something to read! Im doing something similar, but mine is more story based. I started in the Edwardian era. I planned on turning mine into a legacy, I actually have every year planned out when babies should be born in everything! Im using the Sims 4 though (: I love your writing style!