Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disturbing new trend

Comments

• Options
    DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    @DarkSuperNinja I can relate to and sympathise with any depression people have. I got early retired for it myself but have come out the other side of it. Turned out ten years later it was Gluten intolerance!

I gave up on debates since my opponent in one was so brilliant he later became President of the American Library Association. (shows how old I am)!

Think I have derailed this thread.

@Mchap353 It probably shouldn't have made me laugh when you said that; I think it's because it sort of came out of nowhere! xD
    And, don't worry, the thread was on the way to derailing anyway; it was inevitable!

Have a Happy New Year everyone, I've lost my debating flow now; I've said everything I've wanted to say pretty much! xD
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited December 2016
    To be honest you need a thick skin to be on forums. It a cruel world out there. To be honest everybody has a opinion. It not right or wrong. But when that opinion goes starts to attack people with name calling and personal attacks that when it becomes wrong.
    Be blunt which is out of my character. It takes two to fight. It not a fight till name calling and personal attacks start. Till personal attacks and name calling starts in the conversation it a debate.
  • Options
    Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited December 2016
    I still like this site despite the highs & lows. It's not perfect but it is far more civil compared to my other social platforms.

Post edited by Savage_Patch_Kidd on
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • Options
    Clk1143Clk1143 Posts: 1,014 Member
    I am fine with people who have different opinions then me, but it does at times get out of hand. When extremists start trolling, or calling others names for their opinion, or saying the other "side" has to give evidence of why they like or dislike the game or else. Yeah it can get that bad on sims 4 forums. Sim 3 forums also had a several bad fights break out because of the extremists. It's not always about having a thicker skin either when it comes to people calling others names, and harassing, that becomes breaking forum rules.
  • Options
    CristianoCristiano Posts: 138 Member
    Normally I'm a fan of game forums and love to participate in them when I enjoy the game. Not so much here. I'm not sure why, but this forum community is incredibly negative. It's not pleasant to read when it is just a litany of complaints, attacks on the developers, on Maxis, etc. Suggestions get met with equal amounts of negativity, unless you are on the bandwagon that the only important feature is one that you want and nothing else should be added. It's really limited the amount of time that I spend here, and it seems to be worsening. It's a shame - I love The Sims 4. It's not perfect by any means, but you would think it was a disastrous bomb by the endless whining that goes on here. I would rather spend my time enjoying the game, making suggestions I think would improve it, and moving on.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Lately I'm seeing more and more people enter the sims 4 feedback forum to pick fights with others just trying to leave suggestions for the game. Some are even implying that we need to move on and leave the forums entirely. Usually it's people who love the game feeling like they need to defend it from critics. People are starting to feel like they aren't welcome to post even in an area designated to criticism.

its a feed back forum and when people disagree with what you have to say they are giving there feed back as well
    disagreeing with you is not picking a fight its giving an opinion that's different from yours
    and no it is not a Disturbing new trend its been going on for as long as forums have been around
    and someone asking people who don't like the game why they want to talk about it is not implying you or anyone
    should leave some people honestly just want to know and that's all @luthienrising was saying
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited December 2016
    Cristiano wrote: »
    Normally I'm a fan of game forums and love to participate in them when I enjoy the game. Not so much here. I'm not sure why, but this forum community is incredibly negative. It's not pleasant to read when it is just a litany of complaints, attacks on the developers, on Maxis, etc. Suggestions get met with equal amounts of negativity, unless you are on the bandwagon that the only important feature is one that you want and nothing else should be added. It's really limited the amount of time that I spend here, and it seems to be worsening. It's a shame - I love The Sims 4. It's not perfect by any means, but you would think it was a disastrous bomb by the endless whining that goes on here. I would rather spend my time enjoying the game, making suggestions I think would improve it, and moving on.

To many it is a "disastrous bomb" and unrecognisable as The Sims.
    Post edited by aricarai on
  • Options
    Lately I'm seeing more and more people enter the sims 4 feedback forum to pick fights with others just trying to leave suggestions for the game. Some are even implying that we need to move on and leave the forums entirely. Usually it's people who love the game feeling like they need to defend it from critics. People are starting to feel like they aren't welcome to post even in an area designated to criticism.

its a feed back forum and when people disagree with what you have to say they are giving there feed back as well
    disagreeing with you is not picking a fight its giving an opinion that's different from yours
    and no it is not a Disturbing new trend its been going on for as long as forums have been around
    and someone asking people who don't like the game why they want to talk about it is not implying you or anyone
    should leave
    some people honestly just want to know and that's all @luthienrising was saying

So telling someone to move on instead of "complaining" about a game isn't the same as telling someone to leave? If moving on doesn't have the same meaning as leaving, where should they "stay" and move on to without leaving?
  • Options
    aricarai wrote: »

should leave

So telling someone to move on instead of "complaining" about a game isn't the same as telling someone to leave? If moving on doesn't have the same meaning as leaving, where should they "stay" and move on to without leaving?

Imply means to express, suggest, or show something without stating it directly
    which means they did not say someone should move on
    the op felt like they were saying that
  • Options

should leave

Thank you, but I understand what imply means, but I don't completely understand what you're trying to say here. You're right though, nothing was ever said directly; it was originally raised as a question, but it implied certain things which leads me back to my question of what's the difference between telling/asking/saying people should move on instead of "complaining" versus telling someone to leave?
  • Options

should leave

Thank you, but I understand what imply means, but I don't completely understand what you're trying to say here. You're right though, nothing was ever said directly; it was originally raised as a question, but it implied certain things which leads me back to my question of what's the difference between telling/asking/saying people should move on instead of "complaining" versus telling someone to leave?
    the op didn't say anyone said she or anyone else here should leave she said they were implying it
    I don't think many people were implying anything I think a lot of people that ask why you want to talk about a game you don't
    like honestly just want to know and that's all. I'm saying your assuming there telling you to leave when they aren't
  • Options

should leave

the op didn't say anyone said she or anyone else here should leave she said they were implying it
    I don't think many people were implying anything I think a lot of people that ask why you want to talk about a game you don't
    like honestly just want to know and that's all. I'm saying your assuming there telling you to leave when they aren't

Fair enough; however, my original quote of your quote (when I asked the question about moving on versus leaving) was because I've seen it happen before. That was all.
  • Options
    Came back to look out of curiosity; wow, things are so negative once you leave the Off Topic section! All of you need to calm the heck down a bit! xD The change of tone is alarmingly quick!
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

It's nothing new. Has been going on for a long time and works both ways. People attacking those who like the game and those who don't. EA is aware this has been going on a long time. I rarely see mods in the forum anymore. This forum is sometimes a toxic place to be. I would just try to stick to the happy threads and avoid the argumentative threads if they get to heated.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    edited December 2016
    Came back to look out of curiosity; wow, things are so negative once you leave the Off Topic section! All of you need to calm the heck down a bit! xD The change of tone is alarmingly quick!

wow...what a 'negative' post. Pot....meet kettle.
    Cristiano wrote: »

ummm....thanks for helping out with all the negativity with your very negative post. I guess your endless whining is my thoughtful feedback. Chocolate vs vanilla vs strawberry. We all have opinions as to what is better, what we like and what we want. My feedback should in no way impact your view of your game if you truly love it. Happy simming and maybe reconsider your thoughts on negativity, whining and feedback. My suggestions for improvement have been met with dismissal and told that my feedback has an expiration date. I don't believe that and I will continue to provide thoughtful feedback despite those of you who feel we need to 'move on'. :p:D:s:*o:);)
  • Options
    @bekkasan Tbh, I just realised the irony of me making a light hearted comment on a "negative" thread! Guess I shot myself in the foot there! xD

Though, at the same time, I don't see how "pot calling the kettle black" refers to me at all! Yes I've been serious on this thread, but not very negative; I've merely stated my facts and opinions (albeit in ridiculously long comments)! :P
  • Options
    SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited December 2016

You don't have to leave the forum , this is the sims 4 official forum first. You don't have to hide yourself for liking the game. There are some good in ts4 , I know a lot of people who loves it and plays it everyday.
    I was myself broken when on tumblr some people shared their hate about ts4 pictures long time ago.

I read a couple of ts4 stories and you're plum good ! I love the way you all enjoy it and thanks to all of you I pray of getting my own copy soon despite I critic it a lot. I critic the game , not people.

Believe me, even ts3 is highly criticize and it's shameful as well. I am stronger than the petty people.

That's not completely accurate. I still have the bookmark for the old forum and it actually specifies The Sims 3. The address for this forum is simply the Sims so that would be The Sims et al. It's an equal place for all Sims games...from 1 to 4 and including TSM, stories, Castaway and the rest.

On the idea yes because every simmers are accepted there from all other the world but in practise not. TS4 is the largest place in the forum. They have many sub-divisions other games has just the mininum or just one main topic , we are representing less. I don't speak as ts3 player but as ts0 player.
    In a real sims forum for everyone, ts4 or any other game should have equal representation. We request for a sims 3 creative corner we aren't equal. if we are treated as equal about the threads, we shouldn't ask for this because we should have it. Or we want to gather, we have to stay in the sims 3 official forum. I don't have to worry because things are taking into consideration. We have to wait and I am enough confident.
    The sims original has just one place to speak, tsm as well. That's definitively the place for the sims 4.
    And I am pushing the details too far because that's stupid for many of you, which sims characters are represented on the banner of the top of the forum ? Ts4 people with Babs L'amour and friends it deosn't mean nothing but in a general sims , we should have ts2, ts3 and tsm characters.
    It's normal ts4 has such a place because we are numerous to play everyday we join the army and I'll waiting for being with you.

The forum was called the sims now and no matter which game we plays, they have the same root. We are equally treated and accepted has players, they also know most of us are multi simmers players but this forum is mainly about the sims 4 the game in developpement. Don't try to hide myself behind a veil . I see clear especially on too old sims game I sometimes read threads for my own needs.

Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2016

should leave

No, you obviously skim over where it says "move on" in many threads.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member

Can we stop this talk of "negative" and "positive"? It is meaningless whether a person likes or doesn't like something if you don't actually link it to the original source. If a game has flaws, then why should people be "positive" about them? It leaves no room for improvement, and in the end it just allows EA to reduce the quality of their games more and more if people just start accepting it.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited December 2016
    In a real sims forum for everyone, ts4 or any other game should have equal representation. We request for a sims 3 creative corner we aren't equal. if we are treated as equal about the threads, we shouldn't ask for this because we should have it. Or we want to gather, we have to stay in the sims 3 official forum...

Just touching on this part, I believe that each game should be represented equally.
    Of course the past games cannot have active Bugs and Issues forums, because they are no longer in development so nothing can be done about those, and tech support from awesome users that spend ages helping seems to work, but I see absolutely NO reason why TS3 can't have its own creative corner. I honestly don't know what the creative community is like for TS1 or Medieval because I never played TS1 and I play vanilla Medieval.

The TS2 section has one, TS4 effectively has TWO because people fill both the TS4 creative and general creative with that stuff. TS3 has nowhere to go, so we use General Discussion a lot to share our sim pics or builds, but surely enough some staff always comes along and whisks them into the general creative area where they get lost and forgotten, even though it wasn't hurting anyone by being in GD.

At the very least, it should be a requirement to preface threads in the General Creative Corner with [TS3] or [TS4] so people don't have to continually open and close threads looking for a build for their preferred game.

Edit - Just keeping on topic... I don't have TS4 but in the past I've given feedback on what I do or don't like about the game. I've complained because it isn't a game I feel I can play, but I wanted to, and I've campaigned with others who want change.
    I will continue to give feedback, whine and complain for as long as the game has a life, or until it makes changes to become a game I can play too.
    No amount of "recommendations" by other users that I should move on, stop whining, stop being negative or stop complaining will ever convince me to leave until I am ready.

Those who moan and complain about complainers or negativity are just wasting their breath and if my presence on the boards, giving feedback annoys them, then that is just too bad for them.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    CristianoCristiano Posts: 138 Member

Too many it is a "disastrous bomb" and unrecognisable as The Sims.

See, this kind of hyperbole is just absolutely ridiculous. Unrecognizable as the Sims? The Sims 4 can certainly be improved, but the way that they multitask and interact in groups is a huge improvement over previous versions.
  • Options
    1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    Trolls and flame wars have been around from the beginning of bulletin boards. These forums are no worse than some others I've read.

I have a friend who laughingly refers to the internet as the right hand of the devil. I'm not positive she is wrong. The anonymity has definitely destroyed all semblance of courtesy, respect or manners in many. They deliberately provoke and attack. Others type without thought of how their opinion will be read, and frankly don't care as long as their opinion is out there. Even those that try and communicate honestly and respectfully get misunderstood without facial expressions or body language to help get their message across. Throw in cultural differences and what one person perceives as an invigorating discussion another finds argumentative and harassing...or someone stating an opinion is viewed as complaining.

The odds of this thread reaching and altering the actions of the people that need to be more considerate are pretty low. The truth is, you can't control anything but yourself. If someone is offending you, there is an ignore button, or the flag if the offense is reportable. If you appreciate someone you can let them know in a post or there are the other feedback buttons. And if a thread is making you crazy just leave it. You are the captain of your ship. Don't sink with the trolls. ;)
  • Options
    MinaiMinai Posts: 706 Member
    Most forums on the internet are full of disgusting people.
    My reaction is to ignore like...everything.
  • Options
    EgomouseEgomouse Posts: 69 Member
    That is why I stopped going to the forums or Discord much. It's hard to enjoy the game and discuss it without people telling me I'm wrong or without me needing to explain why I enjoy the game. Pretty annoying.
    I can enjoy the game just fine without needing to be on the forums o:)