Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bad things simply DON'T HAPPEN (or nobody cares)

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    KajkaElina wrote: »
    Agree with basically everything being said here and I'm disappointed the devs have not already done something about them. It makes me wonder if they even can?

Because it would take up too much time. And honestly, they would just have to scrap half of the game.

Doesn't mean it's useless to discuss it. At least for in some years when they make Sims 5, it'll certainly be useful to have input about something as integral to a Sims game as emotions and reactions.

It's also good because the game gets more and more enhanced over time, and it wouldn't without feedback. See toddlers. The reactions that toddlers have to certain things are completely different depending on their trait, they always react as well, and they're overall fun to play with because of that (and because they are TODDLERS, but also 'cause of their personalities).
    I somewhat doubt that the developers could've made the toddlers as amazing as they are if they hadn't read through billions of threads so they could know what the community wanted.

And yes, this comment is actually just a bump for the thread :D But I did add something to the discussion!
  • Options
    PlagueRavenPlagueRaven Posts: 52 Member
    I agree that the emotions are just not strong enough at times. They are better than having none at all circa TS1, but crying "a little" when a long-term spouse dies in a horrible electrocution death, I'm more shocked at how quickly they can get over it than I am at the actual shocking of the Sim's nervous system.

It feels a little insulting when you've been playing a Sim couple for years, and one of them just gets over it within minutes and is flirting with someone else within a Sim hour. Like, what the crap is that?
  • Options
    samlyt22samlyt22 Posts: 527 Member
    I use a couple of mods that really help with this. One removes the happy moodlet you get from being in a decorated room, which actually really helps to make my sims have an actual range of emotions rather than always happy. The other is the emotional inertia mod that basically makes emotions last longer and get weaker over time. I finally feel like I either have to put in some effort in order to get my sim out of a certain mood or actually wait it out for a few sim days, and no more forgetting about the death of a family member you just witnessed because there is a painting in the room!

I would still like my sims to react more to the bad things though, I feel like I know why a sim is in a certain emotion but they don't, it feels like all they know is they are currently in that emotion. So a cheating spouse might lead to anger but being fine with the spouse and the person sleeping with the spouse. I want to feel like what happened is actually bothering my sim rather than feeling like I have to partly imagine they are bothered by it. I'm not one to really try to add drama to my sims relationships but at one point I created a couple with a teenage daughter, intending to make the Dad have an affair and then have the Mum and daughter move out to create a split family. The Mum ended up walking in on the Dad in bed with another woman and either didn't seem to care or had a moodlet that was overruled by other happy moodlets (I can't remember which, but I remember being disappointed). She didn't kick off at either of them like I was expecting, she was perfectly fine and friendly to the woman and I had to try to make her argue with them both in order for their relationships to actually take a hit. Then I made the parents get divorced in front of the teenage daughter and she didn't care at all, I had to use a cheat in order to have the daughter get a sad moodlet over the divorce of her parents! It just ended up feeling like I was forcing them to look like they were reacting, which just felt empty and fake. I may as well have just moved them into a house, selected the divorce option, then moved the mother and daughter out, for all the good acting out the scenario did.

Sometimes I feel like a big problem with this game is that they focused too much on emotions and forgot to have the emotions even matter. The vast majority of the things that your sim does or that happens to your sim just leads to a moodlet that alters their emotion and nothing else. Even most of the traits just give different moodlets that slightly alter emotions. Ultimately though emotions are empty if sims don't react to them.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Maybe the new GP will flesh out feelings for all concerned. :) I hope so.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.