Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bad things simply DON'T HAPPEN (or nobody cares)

Comments

• Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    those sims have a long way to go before they are remotely human :confused:
    currently they are rather quite psychopaths & sociopaths with serious emotional disorders & a very short memory span
    add to that the romantic interests & display of flirty "emotion" when interacting with younger sims & that's not a game i like to play at all :confused:

@AuroraLockwood
    TS4 has a feature named "memory" but its functionality is actually just an instant drug to manipulate those sims to every possible emotional state, this just makes them more robotic

It's functionality is almost identical to how it was in sims 3 (albeit better because sims 3 automatically made memories of every little thing). Sure it could be improved, I'm not saying it or the emotion system are perfect by any means, but people are claiming the game doesn't have a memory system which is outright false as it is there regardless of how you might feel about it.
  • Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    Just for the record TS4 has a memory system.

Take a screenshot. Go to the screenshot manager. Set image as memory (whatever emotions your sim was feeling at the time is attached to the memory). Then You can go to the screenshot manager whenever you want select view memory and then you can have the sim reminisce about the memory which will give them a buff relating to the emotion of that memory.

Whaaaat??!! :o I knew about the screenshot manager (although I always forget about it again... just "rediscovered" it today ^^) but I would never have thought that it had a function! I'll have to try that out tomorrow!

currently they are rather quite psychopaths & sociopaths with serious emotional disorders & a very short memory span
    add to that the romantic interests & display of flirty "emotion" when interacting with younger sims & that's not a game i like to play at all :confused:

Yes. Just... yes.

They need more traits, and the effects of those really should decide how the Sim will feel / act that entire day. As I said, the Gloomy trait's German description states "there is a dark cloud of sadness ALWAYS hanging above such Sims", so a 4-hour moodlet "+1 to sadness" which only ever pops up once a week but never twice really doesn't fit there.

The memory system of Sims 2 is awesome as far as I can see (I never played that game, but it does look pretty cool) and maybe it could be expanded here in Sims 4: In each lifestage, from baby to elder (or even up to ghost?) they get a trait based on their memories. But can still choose normal traits like always.
    Did you parents always care for you while you were a baby? Bam, you will get a constant +1 happiness and build up your Charisma quicker!
    Have you never seen anyone but your parents in toddler age? Well, that will make it harder to make friends and you won't be able to take the Social Butterfly aspiration when aging up! (this is NOT the Loner trait, just a similar thing... make that Sim a Loner TOO to make their social life a nightmare!)
    And so on...
    Did your loved one die when you were an Adult? Okay, you won't be very happy as an Elder and can't build up romantic relationships with anyone anymore. AT ALL.
    Did he or she die when you just were a Young Adult even? You're not going to build up relationships (neither friendly nor romantic) all that fast anymore.
    When you died peacefully as an Elder of old age, was there anyone who hated you and where your relationship never recovered? I hope you know that that's making you unable to return to the netherworld before you aren't best friends with that enemy of yours, right?

And in front of certain Sims they should really just try to hide certain emotions. It's NOT appropriate to be flirty in front of your two year old, and it's especially not appropriate to be SHOWING that publically!
    The presence of family members should also just decrease some emotions generally. Like Flirty (still not appropriate, and who would want to flirt with anyone if their mom is in the room anyways?), Sad (they help eachother through hard times), and maybe some other bad ones.
    Being near enemies should generally eliminate any positive feelings whatsoever BUT also prevent death by anger, so you can shout at your enemy as long as you want without dropping dead after a while.
  • Options
    riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member
    And how about the Fury system from The Sims 2? @Pancakesandwich :smile: I mean, sims can't always be angry with everyone only because they argue/fight with THAT target sim. Think about it. It was perfectly done, because it happens even to the best friends doing such things
  • Options
    xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    Agree with basically everything being said here and I'm disappointed the devs have not already done something about them. It makes me wonder if they even can?
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    And how about the Fury system from The Sims 2? @Pancakesandwich :smile: I mean, sims can't always be angry with everyone only because they argue/fight with THAT target sim. Think about it. It was perfectly done, because it happens even to the best friends doing such things
    The system wasn't perfect in TS2 because it was too simple. It needed more depth to become better. But instead of improving it in TS4 the developers just made it more simple, random and illogical. Therefore even the system in an old game like TS2 is better than the system in TS4.

I can only see one logical reason for this randomness of feelings in TS4 and that is that the game is T rated and therefore targeted at young teens who also often experience their emotions change fast and at random because they are immature and have unbalances in their hormones. But nevertheless the randomness about emotions in TS4 doesn't feel realistic at all. It just damages the game IMO.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    @Pancakesandwich yes there is a memory system but it's kind of useless in many ways. You can't even set the memory as memory for every sim on the screenshot I think (only for the family you played while you took it). And you also can't choose the emotion of the memory, which doesn't really matter anyway as all they get is a mood buff.
  • Options

Okay. I've looked at the wiki entry about Sims 2's Fury system and it does seem to be really awesome. And with more traits, there could be SO MANY opportunities to make this happen, and with different lifestates too. Such a high potential everywhere, but almost none of it is used!

Agree with basically everything being said here and I'm disappointed the devs have not already done something about them. It makes me wonder if they even can?

Holy llama of god, if the devs would read through all of this and ADD ALL OF IT, that might even put toddlers in the shadows for some time! :o
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I suggest Boredom should show up when sim's fun need is low or critically red (or progressively switch to "very bored").
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    The funny things is they actually did weight the emotions for the toddlers. Why they can't do that for the adults (their reasoning) doesn't make sense. For instance toddlers who are sad from a nightmare will not do many things..like go back to bed to go back to sleep. That is grayed out. And it says they are too sad. Even playing with the toddler doesn't bring them out of that bad moodlet. They don't get 'decorative' buffs to replace their moods. If they are angry they autonomously throw a fit. And nothing is going to sate their mood but throwing a fit. The toddlers' emotions and moodlets are actually much better and make them much better Sims to play than the actual adults. Go figure.

As I said in another thread:

Toddlers are the most interesting personalities in the entire game.

So now that this is out of the way: Dear devs, please rebuild the other lifestages' emotions as well, based on what you did with toddlers.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited January 2017
    Hopefully this comes in a free patch for the base game. Honestly, I'm 100% is likely to happen.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    The happy emotions is what made me quit. I was tickled when CL came out, exploring everything. My Sim did nothing much but sing Karaoke! When she started to hunt for a husband, I got irritated quick (again). The romance festival was fun, but the romance guru (or whatever you call them) always said "it looked bleak" or it would be many many moons before my sim found someone. I really think they tacked the unflirty trait on everyone when they came out with CL, LOL. I had to make a couple if I wanted to play a couple.

When the Toddler patch came out, I really thought they fixed it. Seemed like my sims moods went along with the household (which I started out with single mom and a Toddler before moving on to creating families to play). Sim Mom was not happy all the time, seems her moods were different and didn't switch like flipping a light-switch every second! I hadn't really took them out anywhere but the parks, but my Sim Mom's would get angry if someone made them mad. They seemed to react better to me since the patch. Guess I have been playing with Toddlers too much to realize things had not changed :D

I am sure that I will want to start from the beginning with a single sim, have them romance and marry, then start a family. That is when I will really get irritated again with the game, unless they have plans to fix the issue.

The emotions definitely need looked into and fixed!
  • Options
    When the Toddler patch came out, I really thought they fixed it. Seemed like my sims moods went along with the household (which I started out with single mom and a Toddler before moving on to creating families to play). Sim Mom was not happy all the time, seems her moods were different and didn't switch like flipping a light-switch every second! I hadn't really took them out anywhere but the parks, but my Sim Mom's would get angry if someone made them mad. They seemed to react better to me since the patch. Guess I have been playing with Toddlers too much to realize things had not changed :D

That's just because of the toddlers I'd say. They really are a challenge for their parents, and that is one thing even adults can show perfectly in this game. The only thing though.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I made a hot headed sim who is also secretly in love with his best friend and roommate. She started a romance with a neighbor. He HATED it. So he go into a fight with the dude. After insulting each other, and he still being furious, they then start joking like old friends.

Remember - they are supposed to dislike each other!

They then get into a fight, neighbor kicked his butt. He went to his bed to "sleep it off", and when he woke up they sat down and watched tv together.

But they are supposed to dislike each other.

Besides that, sims never truly feel or show negative reactions to anything. It's quickly swept away by something else. And mad things really don't happen. Which is sad, because I love the random things that go in in Sims 2 and Sims 3. Not to mention where are the burglars?

The who situation with emotions, reactions, feelings, and "bad" things needs an overhaul.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    I made a hot headed sim who is also secretly in love with his best friend and roommate. She started a romance with a neighbor. He HATED it. So he go into a fight with the dude. After insulting each other, and he still being furious, they then start joking like old friends.

Remember - they are supposed to dislike each other!

They then get into a fight, neighbor kicked his butt. He went to his bed to "sleep it off", and when he woke up they sat down and watched tv together.

But they are supposed to dislike each other.

Besides that, sims never truly feel or show negative reactions to anything. It's quickly swept away by something else. And mad things really don't happen. Which is sad, because I love the random things that go in in Sims 2 and Sims 3. Not to mention where are the burglars?

The who situation with emotions, reactions, feelings, and "bad" things needs an overhaul.

To somewhat counter the whole "joking with my enemy" thing I tried using the UI Cheats Extension mod, which allows you to easily edit relationships by pressing a mouse button. I put them at "total enemy" level of -100 but they still did that.

Also, dancing shouldn't increase relationships. You can't even get that aspiration done where you have to greet 10 people at the beginning, because dancing will instantly make you know everybody without saying a single word.
    Oh, and friendship gain with enemies seems to be faster than with actual friends: The dancing removed the rivalry within half a Sim hour, they were acquaintances with green friendship bar after less than 1.5 hours and ended up being best friends after some more hours of dancing and talking to eachother.

I had a ghost couple where the wife was cheating on her husband with another Sim. His reaction? He slapped her in the face. Once. Nothing else, no further aggressiveness although he was a death-by-anger ghost.
    In the end I lowered their relationship to -100/-100 and had to constantly control them (and sometimes cheat to give them a more approriate mood) in order to make them behave somewhat normally. I did like how the husband always cooked bad quality meals, like a kind of revenge for his (former) wife who had died from hunger so she would need to eat that. But it probably was nothing but his angryness that made him cook bad meals. Anyways, I liked it because that part actually was somewhat more realistic again (and would suit an angry, cheated on, divorced, evil and children-hating ghost living with his ex-wife pretty well).
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    My legacy family lost their patriarch the other day. His widow, sons, and daughter-in-law all got huge sadness buffs. The married couple could not do romantic interactions; the were all grayed out except for a blue (sad) "Try to flirt" interaction. Same with the funny interactions. The sadness lasted for 2-3 Sim days. Also, it was significant to me that the whole family got it, even though only 2 of them were present at the death. I haven't played for about a year, and I know it wasn't like this before. So maybe something with the toddler patch weighted the emotions? I also noticed that when a child has a monster under the bed, they do not get the option to go back to bed for an hour, even if someone sprays the monster; they are too uncomfortable, and the option is grayed out, no matter how tired they are.
  • Options
    MsPhy wrote: »
    My legacy family lost their patriarch the other day. His widow, sons, and daughter-in-law all got huge sadness buffs. The married couple could not do romantic interactions; the were all grayed out except for a blue (sad) "Try to flirt" interaction. Same with the funny interactions. The sadness lasted for 2-3 Sim days. Also, it was significant to me that the whole family got it, even though only 2 of them were present at the death. I haven't played for about a year, and I know it wasn't like this before. So maybe something with the toddler patch weighted the emotions? I also noticed that when a child has a monster under the bed, they do not get the option to go back to bed for an hour, even if someone sprays the monster; they are too uncomfortable, and the option is grayed out, no matter how tired they are.

Woah, I'm going to have to test that out. My only death so far was when I accidentally made a Sim starve right after starting up that game so everyone noticed, because I was playing around with UI Cheats Extension :D
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2017

@AuroraLockwood
    TS4 has a feature named "memory" but its functionality is actually just an instant drug to manipulate those sims to every possible emotional state, this just makes them more robotic

It's functionality is almost identical to how it was in sims 3 (albeit better because sims 3 automatically made memories of every little thing). Sure it could be improved, I'm not saying it or the emotion system are perfect by any means, but people are claiming the game doesn't have a memory system which is outright false as it is there regardless of how you might feel about it.
    Sims 3's memory system is a joke and as I understand it inferior to Sims 2's. The moodlets however provide memory based gameplay (often aimed at specific sims), up to several days (in case of the mummy curse even up to 14). Sims 4 as far as I know has absolutely nothing in this respect.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    The funny things is they actually did weight the emotions for the toddlers. Why they can't do that for the adults (their reasoning) doesn't make sense. For instance toddlers who are sad from a nightmare will not do many things..like go back to bed to go back to sleep. That is grayed out. And it says they are too sad. Even playing with the toddler doesn't bring them out of that bad moodlet. They don't get 'decorative' buffs to replace their moods. If they are angry they autonomously throw a fit. And nothing is going to sate their mood but throwing a fit. The toddlers' emotions and moodlets are actually much better and make them much better Sims to play than the actual adults. Go figure.
    Exactly, this is exactly how I feel! I hope they'll be able to change that, it would improve the game so much.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Samagirl478Samagirl478 Posts: 51 Member
    I personally love that the Sims 4 is more emotion based, but it definitely does need some tweaking (Excuse me, A LOT of tweaking) However, I don't think the sadness emotions should be much longer, longer than 2 days, yes, but not up to a week. That can be a long time for the impatient Simmer. And I completely agree on everything you said about anger. I understand that anger is a destructive emotion by nature, but why does it always seem to be lethal when a sim gets really heated? I think it's kind of ridiculous.

Anyway, you made some amazing points in here, and it was quite interesting to think about.
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    edited January 2017
    @AuroraLockwood

@AuroraLockwood

TS3 has no memory system whatsoever

there are screenshots, it's a photograph album for the player to remember, nothing more
    adding emotions to those screenshots in TS4, what's their use ? give your sim a potion, it will cause the same without the need of a photo

both games, TS3 & TS4 have no memory system

the only game with an unsufficient tryout in actual memory was in TS2, it was generic, limited & didn't work well, but it was functioning as memories actually work for people, people change with memories, people act according to memory, loosing the own memory means loosing the own personality, ask someone with a relative ill with alzheimers

TS3 sims had a short time memory, where they remembered important things happening in their life for several days in a row, like death of a loved one, engagement, birth, marriage ... that sort of memory did function along moodlets, as long a moodlet was active, the sim was in a different state & acted in a changed way
    in TS4 sims are flooded constantly anew with different influences coming from mannifold things & sims, pretty picture, pep talk of a stranger, birth of the first child, death of a mother, a tasty drink, nice woohoo - input flows, nothing matters, moods change, nothing remains

in TS3 a sim after the moodlet was defunct didn't remember anything anymore about the event, they knew that they were married not because they remembered to have married, they didn't remember the date, they didn't reminisce it, they didn't get a new moodlet out of a memory of the moment, date, day of their marriage - different in TS2, those sims could remember, because there was a memory of that event, an actual memory for sims & not just a note for the player - that's a principle difference

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    I personally love that the Sims 4 is more emotion based, but it definitely does need some tweaking (Excuse me, A LOT of tweaking) However, I don't think the sadness emotions should be much longer, longer than 2 days, yes, but not up to a week. That can be a long time for the impatient Simmer. And I completely agree on everything you said about anger. I understand that anger is a destructive emotion by nature, but why does it always seem to be lethal when a sim gets really heated? I think it's kind of ridiculous.

Anyway, you made some amazing points in here, and it was quite interesting to think about.

Sadness duration: Thinking about it, it should probably be linked to lifespan. Shorter lifespan means shorter moodlets, and the other way around.
    Anger death: It also makes it impossible to play trait combinations that cause a lot of anger, like hot headed + hates children. And comedians turn into some of the most efficient mass murderers due to this system of emotional deaths. They really aren't a nice thing, and I'll have to find a mod that disables it before I start my Vampire game.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Hey, I just wanted to post a mod here that's pretty useful to at least get their reactions somewhat proper (a.k.a. they aren't happy after someone died, or at least they are happy very rarely then). It's called "Happy Buffs changed to Fine" by Shimrod101. It removes all happy moodlets from decoration and filled needs. You'll be surprised how efficient that is already!

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=579603

And I also want to link to a nice thread where there are people talking about the reactions. Those certainly need an overhaul too, but this thread right here is just dealing with the "nobody cares" aspect.

Edit: I should perhaps LINK to that thread though :D
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/911772/jealousy-dramas-and-deaths/p1
  • Options
    KajkaElinaKajkaElina Posts: 201 Member

Because it would take up too much time. And honestly, they would just have to scrap half of the game.
    CATS ARE THE BEST!

My Origin ID is catKajka.