Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This game's framerate is just horrible (w/ pictures)

LykkeLeafLykkeLeaf Posts: 214 Member
I'd like to start by clarifying that I'm not asking for help or any technical assistance concerning my game. I don't have any mods, my drivers are all up to date, my PC is less than a year old and I did a fresh install 2 months ago. I was able to reproduce this behavior on different PCs, one of my friend also noticed this problem and it seems to be a fairly known issue on here but I haven't found any detailed thread about it so I'm making one.

As you probably all know, the game's framerate drop drastically when moving the camera while zoomed out.
That's a slight annoyance, but not as much as when it happens in normal zoomed-in mode.

I have a GTX 950, 8GB DDR3 Ram, X4 860K cpu, which all meet the recommended requirements.

Take a look at the fps counter at the bottom-left of all these photos:

Here you can see my normal Framerate (50-60+ FPS):

12-22-16_12-40-03_AM.png
12-22-16_12-40-44_AM.png

Now if I move the camera to the other table, it drops to 30-36 and stays in that range:
12-22-16_12-38-54_AM.png

Zooming in a bit more and it drops to 18-24 FPS (at this point, the low framerate becomes very obvious even without the FPS counter on):
12-22-16_12-38-35_AM.png
12-22-16_12-45-48_AM.png

These photos were taken in Magnolia Promenade with a restaurant downloaded from the gallery, all the other lots are the prebuilt ones from GTW.
Some neighborhoods run better than the others.

I'm running the game on ultra. Lowering the game settings doesn't do much unless it's all the way to low.
I find this quite unacceptable for game that's supposed to cater to weaker PC, I can run much more graphics-intensive games on ultra with a stable Framerate, it should definitely not go from 60+ to 18 FPS in TS4.

Strangely, my grandmother is able to run the game smoothly on her terribly weak laptop on low-medium (laptop mode on) with a mostly stable 30 FPS, yet one of my friend with quite a nice a gaming laptop can't even run the game on medium without his framerate going all over the place like mine.

Anyone else noticed it? If so, what are your specs?

@SimGuruNick
@SimGuruArvin

Post edited by LykkeLeaf on

Comments

• LykkeLeafLykkeLeaf Posts: 214 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    It's running like a stuck-pig recently. Not going into specs and so on but I have a very good gaming rig. The whole, but it runs so well, claim is soon going to be obsolete entirely. Least TS3 had an open world as an excuse to fall back on.

You got a very good point there. I've reinstalled TS3 last week with almost all EPs and I was actually impressed with how smoothly it ran even in Bridgeport. The camera stutters a bit when moving it around but the framerate is good no matter where I aim the camera.

That's disappointing on TS4 part. I really hope the devs are aware of this and will improve it, it's annoying playing a game that goes from buttery smooth to slideshow in one quick camera movement. ><
  • xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    Yup, I noticed this too. It was one of the reasons why I uninstalled the game. Sad when a much more pc intensive game like Planet Coaster runs way better than this.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    Thank you for making a post on this. I hope the devs are going to see this. I don't know if they're working on it, but I hope they are. The game is broken in terms of the fps rate.

I'm not having problems with my fps on zoomed in mode in my game but it could be that the restaurant lot is just laggy. Are there more than 2 chef stations on that lot? I heard that that could cause problems.

Also, the game does run smoothly with laptop mode on or sim details on high instead of very high. Perhaps you can try that, if you like. But I agree they should do something about the fps for us who have nice gaming computers and want to make full use of the high graphic settings. XD
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    DeKay wrote: »
    Thank you for making a post on this. I hope the devs are going to see this. I don't know if they're working on it, but I hope they are. The game is broken in terms of the fps rate.

I'm not having problems with my fps on zoomed in mode in my game but it could be that the restaurant lot is just laggy. Are there more than 2 chef stations on that lot? I heard that that could cause problems.

Also, the game does run smoothly with laptop mode on or sim details on high instead of very high. Perhaps you can try that, if you like. But I agree they should do something about the fps for us who have nice gaming computers and want to make full use of the high graphic settings. XD

It happens on several other lots. Even on the default spa lot. I had placed the Shimuzu restaurant (from the Dine out trailer) on that same lot where those pictures were taken and the framerate also dropped when the camera was aimed in that direction. It also happens in San Myshuno, I've seen some threads about it too. Lowering Sim details didn't help either. Seems like some neighborhoods are more prone to it. (for example, Willow Creek and Windenburg are relatively smoother than Newcrest or San-Myshuno.)
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I have no idea what I am supposed to be noticing. Can someone explain it to me? The pics all look fine to me.
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I have no idea what I am supposed to be noticing. Can someone explain it to me? The pics all look fine to me.

The FPS counter on the bottom-left of each picture. I think I should've uploaded a video instead to demonstrate it better.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    LykkeLeaf wrote: »

The FPS counter on the bottom-left of each picture. I think I should've uploaded a video instead to demonstrate it better.

Yes. I see the counter, but I don't see how it affects the game is what I'm saying.

Yes. I see the counter, but I don't see how it affects the game is what I'm saying.

It's the amount of frames being displayed per second. Above 30, the game should be relatively smooth. Once it goes under 30, it will starts to feel like a slideshow. The animations and camera movements will become stuttery. Most of the time, it depends on how powerful your computer is. Some people with weak machines will have to turn the settings down to low to be able to play at a minimum of 30 FPS.
    However, it's not normal for a machine capable to handle the game smoothly on ultra at 60FPS to drop to such a low framerate (18 FPS.)
    I'm not the kind of person who sees much difference between 30 or 60 FPS but 18-24 is kinda game-breaking in my opinion.

• PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member

It's the amount of frames being displayed per second. Above 30, the game should be relatively smooth. Once it goes under 30, it will starts to feel like a slideshow. The animations and camera movements will become stuttery. Most of the time, it depends on how powerful your computer is. Some people with weak machines will have to turn the settings down to low to be able to play at a minimum of 30 FPS.
    However, it's not normal for a machine capable to handle the game smoothly on ultra at 60FPS to drop to such a low framerate (18 FPS.)
    I'm not the kind of person who sees much difference between 30 or 60 FPS but 18-24 is kinda game-breaking in my opinion.

AWWWW I get what you are saying now. I was on the same page as fullspiral and not seeing what you were trying to say. I can only state what my issues with this, what causes it for me, but I have seen others mention things of this nature and things were different for them. If my Sim has a lot of things in his invantory, or I have my library filled with all sorts of things, I can have a few different issues and on of them is what you are taking about. So keeping the invantory and library low helps. Also at times deleting my cache does as well. From what I have seen mentioned it is more of game issue then the specs of the players computer I think.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    DeKay wrote: »

It happens on several other lots. Even on the default spa lot. I had placed the Shimuzu restaurant (from the Dine out trailer) on that same lot where those pictures were taken and the framerate also dropped when the camera was aimed in that direction. It also happens in San Myshuno, I've seen some threads about it too. Lowering Sim details didn't help either. Seems like some neighborhoods are more prone to it. (for example, Willow Creek and Windenburg are relatively smoother than Newcrest or San-Myshuno.)

So you think it's bound to the world instead of the lot type? You could be right, but for me Windenburg is also kinda laggy on the island neighborhood. To me, Oasis Springs is the smoothest. It could be because of all the VFX happening in the background and there's not much happening in Oasis Springs.

I guess for this, a video would be a better way to show the performance difference. I'm the kinda of person who could actually tell the difference between 30 and 60 so it does bother me. The worst is when you're rotating the camera quickly and it just kinda lags a bit or stutters.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    I've found that this mod helps quite a bit:
    Simulation Lag Mod http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=585420

I almost can not play my game without it now. :/
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.
  • SnowWolf58SnowWolf58 Posts: 382 Member
    It is definitely a game issue and not a computer spec issue from all the comments I have seen here and on other Sims 4 forums. My specs are very close to the OP's and I've had much worse lag in ALL the neighborhoods since installing San Myshuno - CL.

Also noticed that since I now have 25 Sim households/Apartments that I'm playing in San Myshuno -- that the game runs very raggedly w/lots of stuttering and long lags. The other neighborhoods run a little more smoothly with Oasis Springs being the next slowest in playing 12 households.

I keep all of my sims inventories almost empty, never use "Save As" and do all the other "tricks" that are supposed to make this game run more smoothly. It's been really bad as I have already said since the advent of CL.
    Ryzen 1700X • 16GB • RX 580

INFJ -A/-T
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    +1 to this. I have the same fps drops and I'm really angry. My computer is a beast and anything below a steady 55-60 is unacceptable to me.

Gonna keep bumping this until the issue is resolved.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    edited December 2016
    Yup, I noticed this too. It was one of the reasons why I uninstalled the game. Sad when a much more pc intensive game like Planet Coaster runs way better than this.

Did you not see that massive crash problem and performance issue problems that ensued when PC was released? I have a quite a built pc, and the game would crash minutes after booting it up, as well as massive drops in frame rate whenever trying to place down an item. PC might run decently, but to say better than TS4 is a bit of a long-shot for a lot of people (not all).
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    edited December 2016
    I notice in the pictures with the lower frame-rate there are fountains. Have you tried removing the fountains to see if it makes an improvement? My experience with fountains is that if you put htem in a group like that, sometimes in can create fps drops whenever looking at them.
  • ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    I've never had an issue with low framerate, although lately I have been having a bit more lag (not fps lag, but the game pausing momentarily). It's worse on some lots than others. I've noticed it the most at The Bluffs in Windenberg, and for some reason that restaurant Chez Llama.

My GPU is Nvdia GTX 670, not a very new card. I also have 12 GB of RAM.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
    edited December 2016
    SnowWolf58 wrote: »
    It is definitely a game issue and not a computer spec issue from all the comments I have seen here and on other Sims 4 forums. My specs are very close to the OP's and I've had much worse lag in ALL the neighborhoods since installing San Myshuno - CL.

Also noticed that since I now have 25 Sim households/Apartments that I'm playing in San Myshuno -- that the game runs very raggedly w/lots of stuttering and long lags. The other neighborhoods run a little more smoothly with Oasis Springs being the next slowest in playing 12 households.

I keep all of my sims inventories almost empty, never use "Save As" and do all the other "tricks" that are supposed to make this game run more smoothly. It's been really bad as I have already said since the advent of CL.

@SnowWolf58 can you tell me or direct me to where it mentions the whole "save as" issues because I do that often within my game. I have a main file that has all the lots I built, pre-made that annoy me deleted and the townies I have made. When a game file gets corrupted, it is usually that file and not the ones I saved off of it. Majority of the time I can't get it fixed and have to recreate that file and it TAKES forever!!!!

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • daltwisneydaltwisney Posts: 44 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    I notice in the pictures with the lower frame-rate there are fountains. Have you tried removing the fountains to see if it makes an improvement? My experience with fountains is that if you put htem in a group like that, sometimes in can create fps drops whenever looking at them.

You beat me to it. The likely culprit is the fountains. In many games and game engines, the rendering of multiple particle emitters will cause a notable performance drop. Other than limiting the number of emitters or not looking at them, I can't offer you much in the way of a solution. Better hardware can mitigate the issue somewhat, but this game is not built to be a powerhouse of animated graphical effects.
  • dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member
    I went into my game just to check this (even though I don't play with it anymore). I have laptop much weaker than OP's (game defaults to low medium but that's unplayable so I have it on medium). The fps was at 40-50 while zooming. It dropped to 20-30 for less than a second but normally it's around 60. Problem started, when I rotated the camera. It dropped to 18, which is unacceptable for me, as even though I don't have a good laptop (but use a much better PC for TS3) I hate lag and usually exit at the first sign of that. Weird thing is, I don't remember having this problem before I stopped playing TS4. I couldn't take any screenshots, but I'll try later.
    daltwisney wrote: »
    Gabe_oz wrote: »

You beat me to it. The likely culprit is the fountains. In many games and game engines, the rendering of multiple particle emitters will cause a notable performance drop. Other than limiting the number of emitters or not looking at them, I can't offer you much in the way of a solution. Better hardware can mitigate the issue somewhat, but this game is not built to be a powerhouse of animated graphical effects.

I've deleted the fountain entirely and the issue still persists. I've suspected so many things to be the culprit. The mirrors, the sauna, the fountains. Removing them never had any effect. It just seems so random. I understand that the low framerate when zoomed out in aerial view is caused by the DX9 draw call limit, but it shouldnt happen in normal view.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    NZsimm3r wrote: »
    It's running like a stuck-pig recently. Not going into specs and so on but I have a very good gaming rig. The whole, but it runs so well, claim is soon going to be obsolete entirely. Least TS3 had an open world as an excuse to fall back on.

Agreed, the bugs in this game are becoming srsly annoying to me as well. Almost no use firing it up on my laptop anymore, despite having tried every fix in the book by now + no mods at all. Though all this started with CL and was exacerbated big time by one of the most recent patches. Never had any issues before. My PC usually runs it fine, but even there, some bugs are just maddening.
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    I haven't really noticed this because I don't usually zoom out. But I hope the devs look into this because one of this game's biggest selling points is that it runs v smoothly...
    I don't know if any of this has been reported but maybe @SimGuruNick could share some insight on the matter.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´