The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Revival of the dead

Can something be done regarding revival of old dead threads. 99% of the time the threads are not relevant to how the game is now and the new comments don't always have anything to do with original post. I myself, have had threads brought back to life that were two years old and with game patches, the thread and comments have become obsolete. I just saw a two year old thread brought back to life and new post has zero relevance to original post.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,277 Member
    edited December 2016
    I so agree with this even though there are some that will disagree with this. I understand that this happens when someone goes and uses Google to look for something and then comments on it without realizing that it is an old dead thread. Some people will even say that it's okay to do because the person who has resurrected it is a new member and is just trying to up their post count. But they can up their post count by just looking for newer threads to add to instead of raising the dead threads back to life.

Edit to say that earlier this year, the older threads from 2014 and older that hasn't had any new comments made on them since 2014 and later was closed and then unlocked to be closed again and unlocked again and left unlocked. I really wish that if they lock them, then they need to stay locked.
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    True that can do it with newer threads. I do not mind when a new member brings up an old thread making comments that are relevant to the thread and to what they are currently experiencing because, if I remember correctly, new members can't start a new thread. It's the ones that have no rhyme or meaning to the original post or are making comments about how TS4 needs to be scrapped and TS5 needs to be made that I find annoying.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I have seen an insane amount of threads revived in the sims 3 section the last few days. I think it is something new but then it is a thread from 2012
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    I propose an idea. Any thread from any section older than 2 months without a post will be autolocked. It will prevent necromancers but also provide enough time for people if they want/need to update the thread.
    Of course we should give the OPs an option to lock threads when they want should things get too chaoitic or necromanced.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    I have seen an insane amount of threads revived in the sims 3 section the last few days. I think it is something new but then it is a thread from 2012

It's a holiday vacation for a lot of players. People get bored and start searching through the forums.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    Sorak4 wrote: »
    I propose an idea. Any thread from any section older than 2 months without a post will be autolocked. It will prevent necromancers but also provide enough time for people if they want/need to update the thread.
    Of course we should give the OPs an option to lock threads when they want should things get too chaoitic or necromanced.

And the OPs should also have an option to still write in their own threads and by that revive them after those 2 months. Sometimes people can't write there for a long time for one reason or the other, for example in story threads, and it would be sad if those would die out because of it.
    Also, opened sticky threads should never be locked because of this time limit.
  • justdancerebeccajustdancerebecca Posts: 1,334 Member
    A lot of people necro threads it without realizing. At least that's how it seems. It's an honest mistake. I personally don't know about the auto lock, because a lot of the older threads can help someone out especially with bugs :/
    wr7jm5.png&quot

• moonlight_shinesmoonlight_shines Posts: 19 New Member
    Some older threads are really useful and you may never see them if they aren't revived at some point.
    Some of them are still relevent.
    I really like your sim btw ^^ x
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I don't understand people reviving an old thread just to argue a point someone made two years ago or to "help" someone by answering a question asked months ago - that's just annoying - but I think that there's no harm in reviving a thread to ask a question, thank someone for an old answer that helped them, contribute to a challenge that died out (I just saw one of those revived today by someone clearly looking for something like that), or report that something that used to happen has started happening again. Plus new members can't start their own threads. And lots of new threads on the same topic can get just as tiresome.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    i think what would help on the forum is an archive that would be readable only where old threads could be moved and be only readable and if a simmer or member has a question they can start a new thread of the same subject because the problem with ressurction of old thread is they bump down fresh new ideas or threads that have just been posted take this forum where fresh new ideas are posted if threads with an idea that has been posted end of december 2016 start of january 2017 recent year needs to be posted in and thread is say on page 4 already is it fun to have to go true page after page to try and locate the thread it self take for exemple this thread and look at the last update in the original post post #1 when was the last time the original poster of the topic log on and updated is topic is there still a reason to keep bumping that thread back to page 1 when the original poster has not log in a while?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • justdancerebeccajustdancerebecca Posts: 1,334 Member
    I don't understand people reviving an old thread just to argue a point someone made two years ago or to "help" someone by answering a question asked months ago - that's just annoying - but I think that there's no harm in reviving a thread to ask a question, thank someone for an old answer that helped them, contribute to a challenge that died out (I just saw one of those revived today by someone clearly looking for something like that), or report that something that used to happen has started happening again. Plus new members can't start their own threads. And lots of new threads on the same topic can get just as tiresome.

That's what I mean. I completely understand the argument (or lack of lol) for locking threads, but old threads can still be helpful
    wr7jm5.png&quot